PDA

View Full Version : Rating conversions for an under 18

bunta
18-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi guys. i recently got my NSWJCL rating which was 441. I had 7 wins and no loss! and my rating is so low =/ i played for my school team and was the board 4 representative and I'm 16 years old. How would you convert that to an ACF rating? is it still 2 times the JCL rating to give an ACF rating of 882? or is it something different since that conversion applies to adults?

pax
19-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Hi guys. i recently got my NSWJCL rating which was 441. I had 7 wins and no loss! and my rating is so low =/ i played for my school team and was the board 4 representative and I'm 16 years old. How would you convert that to an ACF rating? is it still 2 times the JCL rating to give an ACF rating of 882? or is it something different since that conversion applies to adults?

Any rating which is based on 100% or 0% is pretty much meaningless, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep playing as much chess as you can and keep trying to improve.

7/7 at any level is pretty good going though, well done!

Cat
19-02-2005, 11:32 PM

Simply take your rating, double it and add a variance of + or - 1000 and you will have arrived at a very accurate Glicko rating.

Recherché
19-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Bunta, you may safely ignore the post above from David Richards. He has an axe to grind on the issue of ACF ratings and the Glicko system, and seems incapable of laying aside his issues in order to post a useful response to someone asking for help.

If all the players you play have low ratings, then your rating will start off low as well, because that's the only thing the ratings system has to compare you with. Also, as pax mentioned, until you lose some games as well, the ratings system doesn't have a way to properly determine your rating, so the one you have right now may just be a placeholder of sorts.

If you keep winning all your games like that I'm sure you'll be facing much tougher competition before long, with a corresponding likelihood of your rating getting closer to your true strength. I'm not personally familiar with the details of the NSWJCL ratings system, if they're using Elo it may react a little slower than ACF ratings tend to, but I'm sure you'll still notice the changes.

Good luck with your chess. :)

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Bunta, you may safely ignore the post above from David Richards. He has an axe to grind on the issue of ACF ratings and the Glicko system, and seems incapable of laying aside his issues in order to post a useful response to someone asking for help.Thanks for pointing that out to Bunta, Recherché as it saved me the trouble.

If all the players you play have low ratings, then your rating will start off low as well, because that's the only thing the ratings system has to compare you with. Also, as pax mentioned, until you lose some games as well, the ratings system doesn't have a way to properly determine your rating, so the one you have right now may just be a placeholder of sorts.

If you keep winning all your games like that I'm sure you'll be facing much tougher competition before long, with a corresponding likelihood of your rating getting closer to your true strength. I'm not personally familiar with the details of the NSWJCL ratings system, if they're using Elo it may react a little slower than ACF ratings tend to, but I'm sure you'll still notice the changes.I described the NSWJCL system elsewhere on this board but I'll repeat it here.

The rating formula they use is as follows(from August 2002 NSWJCL magazine):

New Rating = old rating + C (C=Change)

Games are processed one at a time. For each game C is determined from:

C = (W + B*sqrt(D/400))*A*F*L

W = 0 if the game is drawn else W = 1 (The value W is applied to both players)
B = -1 if the higher rated player wins else B = +1 (Making C bigger for upset wins)
D is the difference in ratings for the two players (If D is greater than 400 it is set to 400)

A is a factor that varies with the status of the event. A varies from 10 for most games to 20 for the U18 at ssstate or Australian Championships). Exception if your rating is decreasing then A=10.

F is a factor which varies with the result and relative ratings of players.
Winners and lower rated players who draw D = +1. (It is the postive sign of F that makes C positive, increasing the rating)
Losers: F = -0.7(I have also seen this published as 0.8), Higher rated player who draws: F = -0.5. (It is the negative sign of F that makes C negative, decreasing the rating)

L is normally 1.

Now supposedly a rough conversion of NSWJCL ratings to adult ratings is as follows:
for ratings less than 600 then adult = 2*J
for rating greater than 600 adult = (J*1.25) + 450

When I last looked at all this stuff back around 1999/2000 the rating formula seemed kludgy.
On top of that there appears no reliability in the conversion method from junior to adult ratings.
The system also has a rating floor round about 250.
Once your rating reached 250 your rating was not decreased by any formula but only by the number of successive losses you had. Apparently one of the lowest ratings was then 230 after 20 successive losses. A rating of 200 is supposed to be equivalent to a player who knows how to play but loses ALL games.

Cat
20-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Now supposedly a rough conversion of NSWJCL ratings to adult ratings is as follows:

Thats virtually exactly what I said, what the hell are you guys going on about?

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Thats virtually exactly what I said, what the hell are you guys going on about?
Your + or - 1000 showed you were being totally sarcastic.
You had no real clue and the fact that for ratings below 600 the NSWJCL recommend doubling it was just coincidence.

Cat
20-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Your + or - 1000 showed you were being totally sarcastic.
You had no real clue and the fact that for ratings below 600 the NSWJCL recommend doubling it was just coincidence.

Some coincidence! So what would be his variance?

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Some coincidence!Exactly because I have no evidence that the conversion formulas are accurate.

So what would be his variance?How would I know what his variance is.
His RD however would be between 30-350.

The point however is that you were not trying to help the kid, you were just being sarcastic.

antichrist
20-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Dear Bunta

Now is it clear to you how to calculate your rating?

Are you glad that you enquired?

Do you think everyone posting here were friendly to each other?

Would you recommend to your friends to visit this Bulletin Board?

Thanks for any answers you may provide.
Peter

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Dear Bunta

Peter
Well the only useless posts here are DR's and now yours.

bunta
20-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Dear Bunta

Peter

yes, i was asking a question about rating to clear up my mind about things. It was totally unnecessary for you to say such stupid things.

antichrist
20-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Bill,
Congratulations. I think you should take this chap under your wing, he shows potential -- the Billy-Bunta combo!

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Bill,
Congratulations. I think you should take this chap under your wing, he shows potential -- the Billy-Bunta combo!He is only a junior but he nailed it perfectly when he called your comments stupid.

Its a shame you dont stick to the non chess threads.

Cat
20-02-2005, 09:15 PM
His RD however would be between 30-350.

So I was just being a little too conservative.

Bill Gletsos
20-02-2005, 10:12 PM
So I was just being a little too conservative.No, you were simply being sarcastic.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Alan Shore
21-02-2005, 08:11 AM
++ Thread degeneration.

Kiser Soza
22-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for pointing that out to Bunta, Recherché as it saved me the trouble.
I described the NSWJCL system elsewhere on this board but I'll repeat it here.

The rating formula they use is as follows(from August 2002 NSWJCL magazine):

New Rating = old rating + C (C=Change)

Games are processed one at a time. For each game C is determined from:

C = (W + B*sqrt(D/400))*A*F*L

W = 0 if the game is drawn else W = 1 (The value W is applied to both players)
B = -1 if the higher rated player wins else B = +1 (Making C bigger for upset wins)
D is the difference in ratings for the two players (If D is greater than 400 it is set to 400)

A is a factor that varies with the status of the event. A varies from 10 for most games to 20 for the U18 at ssstate or Australian Championships). Exception if your rating is decreasing then A=10.

F is a factor which varies with the result and relative ratings of players.
Winners and lower rated players who draw D = +1. (It is the postive sign of F that makes C positive, increasing the rating)
Losers: F = -0.7(I have also seen this published as 0.8), Higher rated player who draws: F = -0.5. (It is the negative sign of F that makes C negative, decreasing the rating)

L is normally 1.

for rating greater than 600 adult = (J*1.25) + 450

When I last looked at all this stuff back around 1999/2000 the rating formula seemed kludgy.
On top of that there appears no reliability in the conversion method from junior to adult ratings.
The system also has a rating floor round about 250.
Once your rating reached 250 your rating was not decreased by any formula but only by the number of successive losses you had. Apparently one of the lowest ratings was then 230 after 20 successive losses. A rating of 200 is supposed to be equivalent to a player who knows how to play but loses ALL games.

hey bunta dude
found it
thx

ursogr8
22-02-2005, 02:14 PM
hey bunta dude
found it
thx

:hmm:

style check on lane xx

bunta
09-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Bill,
Congratulations. I think you should take this chap under your wing, he shows potential -- the Billy-Bunta combo!

WTF?

HappyFriend
11-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Bunta, you wont have an "accurate rating" until you play around 100 tournament games in say 2 years. I could tell you some amazing ways ratings are manipulated by players in this country. Advice:- despite the endless drivel you will hear about My rating", "his rating" blah blah....PAY NO ATTENTION TO IT! Ordinary players have high ratings often because they simply play more!! FACT Just concentrate on winning and ignore ratings. Dont do what Firegoat/goat/Jackass does and brown-nose people who are over 2200. Play your best and good luck!