PDA

View Full Version : Big Boards & Outdoor Playing Areas in Sydney?

The_Wise_Man
16-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Can we try and get a list of Big Boards and outdoor playing areas in Sydney?
(Other than the Hyde Park)

Its for a project that I am working on....

I visited an outdoor playing area on the beach at Santa Monica (Los Angeles) last year... and am looking at trying to get one here!

Wise

JGB
16-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Good idea. :clap: i'll know where to head the next time im in Sydeny.

I visited an outdoor playing area on the beach at Santa Monica (Los Angeles) last year... and am looking at trying to get one here!
Wise

Yeah I played there also a few years back, just behind the beach, its a nice spot. I played a couple of games against some local 'smoker'... he was in fine form I must say. I didn't mind the 'lessons' for the couple of bucks I invested, although I could have done without the 'weird' smoke rolling and puffing in my face.

arosar
16-02-2005, 04:45 PM
This Peter Tidoy bloke just paid us a visit yesterday and it seems that he's quite a mean blitz player. Walked away with $80 from the locals the bastard.

AR

Trent Parker
16-02-2005, 06:33 PM
There is a big board and playing area at Liverpool in the Macquarie street mall.

I dunno if it is still there but years ago i went up to The Entrance up on the central coast and there was a big board on the foreshore on the entrance. It is a nice place. walk around the path takes you to the ocean beach or along the entrance section you can watch the (i think it was) pelicans feeding.

Rincewind
16-02-2005, 08:42 PM
There is a big board and playing area at Liverpool in the Macquarie street mall.

Wollongong boasts THREE big boards. The show piece is in Wollongong Mall and has featured on TV advertisements for the same. There is another just off Wentworth St in Port Kembla, across the road from the community centre. The third is in Warrawong (less than 2 km from the Port Kembla Board) outside the Westfield shopping centre. It used to have pride of place right in front of the bus-stop/taxi rank on Cowper St but has since been moved to a more discrete space around the corner.

I don't get out to Port Kembla much but Warrawong and Wollongong Mall boards are usually very well attended. Wollongong most times have a few games going on regular sized boards nearby. Warrawong doesn't have suitable benches to allow side-games, which is a great shortcoming I think.

Paul S
16-02-2005, 11:44 PM
There is one in Chatswood (Victoria Street Mall near the Commonwealth Bank - about two minutes walk from the railway station).

arosar
21-02-2005, 10:06 AM
This bloke Tidoy is quite funny. In a series of $5 bets with Berezovski, he appeared to lose and play quite badly. Then he'd try to raise the stakes. Stan kept saying no. We said to him, "We don't normally play for money. We come here for fun". To which our visitor replied emphatically, "I didn't come here for fun. I came here to WITHDRAW!"

We just about laughed our heads off.

AR

JGB
21-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Classic!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap:

Garvinator
22-02-2005, 10:52 PM
To which our visitor replied emphatically, "I didn't come here for fun. I came here to WITHDRAW!"
matches his performance at mt buller then, maybe it was the cold snow again that caused his withdrawal again :evil:

arosar
22-02-2005, 11:06 PM
matches his performance at mt buller then, maybe it was the cold snow again that caused his withdrawal again :evil:

Did someone say 'Mt Buller'?

gray . . . c'mon mate. Get over it. Move on. We're trying to. You, of all people, shouldn't be exhuming old traumas.

How ya been anyways?

AR

antichrist
23-02-2005, 12:19 PM
This bloke Tidoy is quite funny. In a series of $5 bets with Berezovski, he appeared to lose and play quite badly. Then he'd try to raise the stakes. Stan kept saying no. We said to him, "We don't normally play for money. We come here for fun". To which our visitor replied emphatically, "I didn't come here for fun. I came here to WITHDRAW!"

We just about laughed our heads off.

AR

I meant to ask yesterday, "Did he get off at Redfern?"

greendoor
10-03-2005, 07:44 AM
:hmm: There is a big board in hyde park, sydney just behind St. James Station.... plastic set free to public.. also one up on the Hawkesbury River at the restaurant Pete's Bite.... great water side location!!

This mob www.yardgames.com.au have massive wooden teak sets ( some lifesize) but when i talked to them said most of their sales where to private owners or resorts.