PDA

View Full Version : Central Control, now what?

b1_
13-02-2005, 08:25 PM
1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O

I recently played a game in which I managed to set up the classic central control position as seen above. I got there, yay me, but then found that there really was no great attacks available or anything stunning.

I played on but was not particularly impressed with the follow-up play and chances.

I will let you know what I played and how the game ended up after I here some comments on what is the best course to take.

I have since come across a principle that states "When you control the center, it is usually a good idea to maintain or increase the tension, rather than release it." Is this good advice? I have also read that if you attain this position there is nothing the opposition can do so you can happily continue to develop until a chance presents itself. Not sure about this.

Anyway, I was expecting something more from such a theoretically advantageous and apparently dominant position.

Comments?

(First post btw. Hello. Been looking for a good chess forum and site and to my surprise one of the best is based right here in Aus :). Go aussie.)

Rincewind
13-02-2005, 09:06 PM
b1, looks to me you have a good amount of space but Black's position is solid without obvious weaknesses and enough space to not get too cramped.

Long term I thinking you have good changes to attack down the 1/2 open f file.

Medium term, not sure what Black's knight is doing out on h5. It looks loose and you might be able to take advantage of that soon (but I can't see anything immediately).

Short term. Black's dark-squared bishop has very few squares. As all minor pieces are still in play it will probably be advantageous for you to swap of that bishop for a knight. Therefore 11.Nd5 looks like a move. This will win you the bishop pair.

That was my thoughts after a brief look atthe position. Hope it helps and I haven't messed up too badly.

Trent Parker
13-02-2005, 11:40 PM
In that position i would play Bd3 followed by e5. Then..... h6 looks like a nice sacrifice

b1_
14-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Chess nut, the h6 sacrifice was my main threat. As soon as he popped his pawn on h6 I moved my queen in behind my bishop on e3, ready to open up his kings pawn defences with that sacrifice. Indeed, I did want my other bishop on d3 desperately so I could finish him off, but your strategy would require one other move, a3, stopping him doing Nb4, threatening the exchange of the d3 bishop. I thought in the end that too many moves were required to set up what I thought was a too obvious attack, and therefore easily seen, and, with a 3 move prep on my part, probably easily countered.

Barry Cox, I hadn't noticed the cramped state of his black squared bishop. I'm always looking to remove an apponents bishops, preferrably with my knights. However, in this case the resultant position wasn't particularly advantageous.

I think the reason I couldn't find any great threats from this position is because his position was, as Barry Cox mentioned, not particularly weak in any way. In fact I think I recall seeing a diagram of the classic central control position, with the best position against it being something like my apponents in this case.

I think I've just got to learn to be a little more patient, and be happy with a slow build up of pressure, rather than expecting flashy attacks to appear.

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Chess nut, the h6 sacrifice was my main threat. As soon as he popped his pawn on h6 I moved my queen in behind my bishop on e3, ready to open up his kings pawn defences with that sacrifice. Indeed, I did want my other bishop on d3 desperately so I could finish him off, but your strategy would require one other move, a3, stopping him doing Nb4, threatening the exchange of the d3 bishop. I thought in the end that too many moves were required to set up what I thought was a too obvious attack, and therefore easily seen, and, with a 3 move prep on my part, probably easily countered.

Ahhh true true indeed!!

Perhaps an alternative to a3 might be Ne2. This enables Bd3 and prepares to bring another piece on to the K side.

Garvinator
14-02-2005, 02:06 AM
no one has yet mentioned that e5 is very much playable now on move 11.

A space advantage in itself will not win you a game. A space advantage needs to be converted into something more tangible. e5 is the type of move that changes the position from a space advantage into a potential/real kingside attack.

We have already mentioned the possibilities of sacs on h6, also if you notice, the d7 bishop is defended once, but if the c6 knight moves, the d7 bishop is attacked twice. I am calling white to be have a large advantage in this position.

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 11:11 AM
HOw is d7 attacked twice? IMHO e5 now will enable black to equalise and free up his position.

Eg. perhaps if 11.e5 de 12.Nxe5 Nxe5 and black exchanges of with potential equality. Also in this line White will eventually have an isolated pawn.

Yeah 11.e5 i think is a bit premature.

Garvinator
14-02-2005, 11:20 AM
HOw is d7 attacked twice? IMHO e5 now will enable black to equalise and free up his position.

Eg. perhaps if 11.e5 de 12.Nxe5 Nxe5 and black exchanges of with potential equality. Also in this line White will eventually have an isolated pawn.

Yeah 11.e5 i think is a bit premature.
11. e5 dxe5 12. dxe5 (not Nxe5) then which move do you want to play?

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Nxe5 still. If NxN BxB

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 11:47 AM
1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O 11.e5 dxe5 12.dxe5 Nxe5 13.Nxe5 Bxb5 And also Black has the initiative.

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 11:49 AM
What am i talking about?? NxB Doh

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 11:54 AM
But still. I would prefer White with the nice centre rather than having an isolated non passed pawn in the center where it can be easily picked on.

Garvinator
14-02-2005, 12:03 PM
But still. I would prefer White with the nice centre rather than having an isolated non passed pawn in the center where it can be easily picked on.
this is another of those classic isolated pawn situations where white tries to prove that he has enough of an attack to compensate for the IKP (in this case).

I would like you to actually show me from this position with me being white and you black to prove that this isnt the case.

The e pawn cant be easily picked on as black has more problems to solve before having any thoughts of attacking the e pawn.

So its your move after 12. dxe5

Trent Parker
14-02-2005, 12:42 PM
12....a6

arosar
14-02-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't like this line youse blokes are playing. Why does White have to clarify the position immediately? Without looking too deeply into it, I woulda preferred Rad1 on White's 11th.

If Black questions the Bb5, just drop it back to b3 (via a4) or even e2 (preparing an attack on the knight). Then you can do some maneouvres like rerouting the Q to Qf2-g3 and at the same time clearing the d1 Rook against the black Q. 11. e5 is too soon. You gotta prepare your forces for the gang-bang.

AR

JGB
14-02-2005, 01:05 PM
What?? but, there is sac on h6 straight away, White is winning! No more positional play is needed.
The Big Bang is ready to take place!

11.Bxh6!!

1. e4 e5 2. f4 d6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. Bb5 exf4 5. d4 Bd7 6. Bxf4 Nf6 7. Nc3 h6 8. O-O Be7 9. Qd2 Nh5 10. Be3 O-O 11. Bxh6!! gxh6 12. Qxh6
Bg4 (12... Ng7 13. Nd5 Nxd4 14. Nxd4 (14. Bxd7 Nxf3+ 15. Rxf3 $18) 14... Bg5 15. Nf6+ Qxf6 16. Qxf6 Bxf6 17. Rxf6) 13. Bxc6 bxc6 14. h3 winning for white

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't like this line youse blokes are playing. Why does White have to clarify the position immediately? Without looking too deeply into it, I woulda preferred Rad1 on White's 11th.

If Black questions the Bb5, just drop it back to b3 (via a4) or even e2 (preparing an attack on the knight). Then you can do some maneouvres like rerouting the Q to Qf2-g3 and at the same time clearing the d1 Rook against the black Q. 11. e5 is too soon. You gotta prepare your forces for the gang-bang.

I agree and thought about various rook moves. The problem with doing it immediately is that Black may well make a flight square for his Bishop via 11...Re8. Also it is not clear that d1 is the right square for the rook. As play will be happening down the f-file and a pawn thrust along the e-file might be used, perhaps e1 is the best square.

Therefore I still think 11.Nd5 to be followed with Nxe7 (or somewhere else) then follow up with (probably) Rae1.

JGB
14-02-2005, 01:46 PM
What if 12... Ng7

That is also included in the analysis above... If you want more I can work on it?

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 01:49 PM
That is also included in the analysis above... If you want more I can work on it?

No sorry, I just missed it your analysis. I deleted my question now, but too late.

Garvinator
14-02-2005, 01:55 PM
i computer checked your analysis James and it appears to be completely correct ;) . I was right in part though that white didnt need to do any more preparing and could just go for an attack straight away ;)

JGB
14-02-2005, 01:57 PM
i computer checked your analysis James and it appears to be completely correct ;) . I was right in part though that white didnt need to do any more preparing and could just go for an attack straight away ;)

What program have you got running there Gray?

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 01:58 PM
No sorry, I just missed it your analysis. I deleted my question now, but too late.

That line looks OK too. I originally discounted the possibility of direct attack because Ng7 looked nice and Black seemed to gave g5 under good control. However the line you provide seem to show that this can get through by swapping off the bishop and diverting the queen at the right time.

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Guys, guys, guys ... guys... How do you ever expect to get into a book Like Champions and Challengers without just playing Bxh6 and trusting your heart. Look at Black, he is just completely bound up. I was playing over all of Morphy"s games while I was in Austria at Chrissy and I just thought, man that dude would not have wasted valuable time thinking about how to play positionally here. Alekhine said..."When the position is right the combination will come to you, (well in German anyway) Do not search for it, for it will present itslef when it is actually there!"

I guess thats why I loose a lot of chess also! But they make for spectacular games anyway...

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I guess thats why I loose a lot of chess also! But they make for spectacular games anyway...

I've won a lot of game where guys play moves based on attacks that "should" work. In this case though, it does and you knew that too before you suggested it as you provided analysis of the main defensive tries. I don't believe you can justify Bxh6 without first seeing the follow-up Nd5 to Ng7.

Mind you, your opponent could see it too and then choose not to play 11...gxh6. ;)

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I've won a lot of game where guys play moves based on attacks that "should" work. In this case though, it does and you knew that too before you suggested it as you provided analysis of the main defensive tries. I don't believe you can justify Bxh6 without first seeing the follow-up Nd5 to Ng7.

Mind you, your opponent could see it too and then choose not to play 11...gxh6. ;)

If he does not capture he is obviously loosing anyway, for it changes very little positionally. That I am sure is evident!

arosar
14-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Smirnov, ex-Canberra, is presently the Hyde Park champion for many a days now. He must be taken down. And I will take him down. I will follow your advice JGB. I notice in many unbalanced and irrational positions, this Smirnov bloke gets into some real trouble.

Btw, we got a bloke here who plays for $5 a game too. Not very good I think.

AR

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 02:15 PM
If he does not capture he is obviously loosing anyway, for it changes very little positionally. That I am sure is evident!

He is a rook pawn down. Disadvantaged certainly, but losing would depend on the level of play and technique we are talking about. Looking at the evidence you provide. 11...gxh6 is losing therefore something else might well be better.

However, I (now) think 11.Bxh6! is White's best move.

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Smirnov, ex-Canberra, is presently the Hyde Park champion for many a days now. He must be taken down. And I will take him down. I will follow your advice JGB. I notice in many unbalanced and irrational positions, this Smirnov bloke gets into some real trouble.

Btw, we got a bloke here who plays for $5 a game too. Not very good I think.

AR

Then go forth young Arosar and head for unchartered waters where the daring can prove their worth!

good luck, Hyde Park is Syney eh? For if it was Melbourne I would come down...

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:21 PM
He is a rook pawn down. Disadvantaged certainly, but losing would depend on the level of play and technique we are talking about. Looking at the evidence you provide. 11...gxh6 is losing therefore something else might well be better.

Better? resignation is probably better than not accepting the sac. Seriously the position in this varation is not too far from playable...

1. e4 e5 2. f4 d6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. Bb5 exf4 5. d4 Bd7 6. Bxf4 Nf6 7. Nc3 h6 8. O-O Be7 9. Qd2 Nh5 10. Be3 O-O 11. Bxh6!! gxh6 12. Qxh6 Ng7 13. Nd5 Nxd4 14. Nxd4 Bg5 15. Nf6+ Qxf6 16. Qxf6 Bxf6 17. Rxf6

looks the most "playable" for Black, although obviously 'losing', the least 'losing'of a bad bunch...

arosar
14-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I am older and wiser than you JGB and more good looking too.

AR

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I am older and wiser than you JGB and more good looking too.

AR

Your full statement is naturally true. Alas, we are all 'young' Arosar.

add on:
AR...'more good looking'. Little English lesson bro: Looks don't come in more or less, just better or worse.

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Better? resignation is probably better than not accepting the sac.

Resignation is the worst move by defintion. Anything else must be better.

Did you look at many candidate other than 11...gxh6? Experience tells me, most of the time, losing a rook pawn is not the end of the world - and attackers tend to overestimate their attack and not calculate "forced" recaptures properly.

As I said 11.Bxh6 looks best, but perhaps 11...gxh6 isn't.

arosar
14-02-2005, 02:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey man, are there lotsa neo-nazis in Germany? This morning I was listening to DW and these people were out in Dresden mourning some bombing in WWII.

AR

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:33 PM

Hey man, are there lotsa neo-nazis in Germany? This morning I was listening to DW and these people were out in Dresden mourning some bombing in WWII.

AR

Actually yeah in Dresden (out in the East) and Leipzig they are particularly well supported. Due to the high unemployment levels in the east and a feeling of government disatisfaction.

JGB
14-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Resignation is the worst move by defintion. Anything else must be better.

Did you look at many candidate other than 11...gxh6? Experience tells me, most of the time, losing a rook pawn is not the end of the world - and attackers tend to overestimate their attack and not calculate "forced" recaptures properly.

As I said 11.Bxh6 looks best, but perhaps 11...gxh6 isn't.

Resignation is the worst move ok. I have looked at the variations and still believe the Bishop should be taken, and the line given in Post 29 is Blacks best bet.

b1_
14-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Thx to JGB for the analysis. I agree that 11. Bxh6 is, afterall, a strong move, and even if it's not it would certainly lead to an interesting game. Black could probably play out to equality, but only if white made a mistake. Otherwise white would definately have the upper hand going into the endgame, whether black replied either of 12...Ng7, or 12...Bg4, I believe both replies are equally troublesome for black; a lot of traps in there.

Your best replay in post #29 JGB is a little worse off if white plays 14. Bxd7 instead of Nxd4, so still bad for black.

Here is how my actual game progressed.

1. e4 e5 2. f4 d6 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. Bb5 exf4 5. d4 Bd7 6. Bxf4 Nf6 7. Nc3 h6 8. O-O
Be7 9. Qd2 Nh5 10. Be3 O-O 11. d5 Ne5 12. Nxe5 dxe5 13. Bxd7 Qxd7 14. Rf5
Nf6 15. Raf1 Bb4 16. Rxf6 {Apponent resigns here.} *

I have no idea why he resigned, he could have played out of the coming attack after that blunder without too much loss simply by bringing his queen across.

My main gripe with the position I ended up with was my c3 knight was blocked from joining the fight by my two pawns, and my pawn structure is suspect also. 11. d5 becuase then I'd have an uncontested advanced pawn that could immediately threaten his knight. I thought it a strong move that gives me a foothold in his half of the board.

Anyway, thx for the analysis, it's made me appreciate the strength of the position. If there's no obvious chances to gain material, there's definately more space and lots of initiative for white to push where he wishes.

EDIT: Btw, his best move was 15...Ng4 I believe, where he would cover my h6 move, his pawn on e5 and threaten to eliminate my h6 sacrifice attack by exchanging knight for bishop on e3. I was considering Ne2 as my reply, bringing my knight over to replace my bishop to continue the attack anew, just with a new flavour. If anyone cares to analize this further it would probably prove whether 11. Bxh6 was the only way to go for maximum advantage afterall as I believe the line I took was pretty strong yet black was still equal with not too much difficulty. As it stands I would probably have played 11. Bxh6 if I had the chance to play the game again.

arosar
14-02-2005, 10:12 PM
He resigned because it was, in fact, the best move in the position. You killed him. That's it.

AR

JGB
14-02-2005, 10:23 PM
He resigned because it was, in fact, the best move in the position. You killed him. That's it.

AR

I'm with you on this one AR. When crushed resign. " A good player knows when to resign".

jay_vee
15-02-2005, 03:18 AM

AR

There are actually not too many Nazis in Germany, they are just visible beyond any proportion. With regard to mourning the bombing of Dresden, you have to differentiate. There were two bombing raids on Dresden. The larger one was aimed at "military" targets (railroad facilities in particular, as Dresden was a major transportation hub at the time). About 400 people were killed, but generally a "jusitified" (as far as that goes in war) attack that noone mourns much. The other one however was deliberatly aimed at the civilian part of the city, using incendiary bombs in a detailed plan to create a fire storm, including a delayed second wave to kill firefighters and medical personnel. This was at a time when Nazi Germany was already losing the war and Dresden was packed with refugees fleeing westwards from the advancing soviet Army. About 30000 civilians burned to death or suffocated in bomb shelters for no military reason whatsoever. That raid, whose 60th anniversary was on sunday, is mourned, and rightly so, imho. It does not reduce the german crimes of WWII to say that the other side was capable of needless cruelty and violence as well.

JGB
15-02-2005, 10:25 AM
With reference to the 2nd World War, and the US and Russian led occupations of Germany Post 45', the title of this thread now makes perfect sense! haha

Alan Shore
15-02-2005, 05:39 PM
With reference to the 2nd World War, and the US and Russian led occupations of Germany Post 45', the title of this thread now makes perfect sense! haha

Hehehe, clever :)

Duff McKagan
16-02-2005, 06:13 PM

Good luck :)
Last years interclub winners, Wests, might have to reverse their board order this year because Smirnov is just too good on board 4. With an ACF of 2296, this is hardly surprising. Cannot defeat ze comrades :)

Rhubarb
16-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Good luck :)
Last years interclub winners, Wests, might have to reverse their board order this year because Smirnov is just too good on board 4. With an ACF of 2296, this is hardly surprising. Cannot defeat ze comrades :)Right, somebody better tell me who this ignorant farnuckle is or I swear I'll make it my mission to drive the dumb bastard off this board.

arosar
16-02-2005, 10:28 PM
You upset with Duff or me?

I know who he is.

AR

Duff McKagan
18-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Right, somebody better tell me who this ignorant farnuckle is or I swear I'll make it my mission to drive the dumb bastard off this board.

Chill man, it was a joke. Smirnov is good, ok? As if a Bulletin Board has any weight on the real state of matters anyways. People get so worked up on here about nothing.

davevanderkist
01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure but I think that your position is better after:
11.Bxc6 Bxc6 12.d5 Bd7 13.e5 dxe 14.Nxe5
You have more space and a lot of plans:
-Rf3 and double with Raf1
-Sacrifice on h6
-Qd2 followed by Ng4
-Ne4 followed by c4
-Nd3

1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O 11.Bxc6 Bxc6 12.d5 Bd7 13.e5 dxe5 14.Nxe5

b1_
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I may have thought of that line in passing davevanderkist, but I think what put me off was the chance that he might take with his b-pawn instead of his Bishop, opening the b-file for his Rook. It may be a good move it's just at first glance it made me uncomfortable. If I could guarantee he would take with his Bishop it would have appealed to me more.

Michael Morris
28-05-2005, 05:48 AM
1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O 11.Bc4

I'm surprised that after 4 pages no one saw this gem -- 11. Bc4

The reason is simple. Can black consolidate his position further? Not really. Can white add more force to the attack before committing - yes.

Bishops can move backwards. From c4 the bishop pins the f pawn, making the g6 square very weak since the h pawn no longer defends the square either. Black can do nothing about this - Be6 allows a humilating pawn fork, pushing the pawn to block the bishop only drops it to the knight. Breaking the pin with a Kh7 move weakens the f pawn further by pushing off a defender of the pawn - Kh8 is disasterous after Bxhp pxp 13. Qxp+ and winning the knight and two pawns for the bishop - not to mention the attack.

Never forget the power of pins to take a piece out of the defense or the attack. Sometimes pinning is worse than capturing :)

Bc4 doesn't clarify the situation but makes black a lot more uncomfortable. That's the move I feel. Anyone else?

Michael Morris
28-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Here's an interesting line if Black tries to use the knight to shove the bishop off the diagonal.

1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O 11.Bc4 Na5 12.Bd3 Nc6 13.Bxh6 gxh6 14.Qxh6 Nf6 15.e5 dxe5 16.dxe5 Nxe5 17.Nxe5

Note that after 11.Bc4 Na5 12.Bd3 Nc6 white has the move, whereas if white simply played 11.Bd3 black would have the move. That crucial tempo difference makes the sacrifice sound since, at the very least, white can win back his material as seen above

16 ... Nxe5 is forced because if the knight moves off or is chopped off by the pawn. Death comes swiftly as the queen, supported by the bishop at d3 swoops into the h7 square the knight must guard.

At the end of the position above white threatens to hack the knight down with the rook and follow with mate on the h7 square. I don't *think* black can stop this, though he might be able to delay it a move or so, possibly with a check via Bc5.

Black has a better fight in this line...

1.e4 e5 2.f4 d6 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.Bb5 exf4 5.d4 Bd7 6.Bxf4 Nf6 7.Nc3 h6 8.O-O Be7 9.Qd2 Nh5 10.Be3 O-O 11.Bc4 Na5 12.Bd3 Nc6 13.Bxh6 gxh6 14.Qxh6 Ng7

White prosecutes his attack with 15. h4, threatening to bring the knight to g5 and again create a mate on h7. Depending on what black does white may need to endure an exchange on g5, in which case he'll need to reactivate the pin from Bc4 and then push the pawn to g6 for the win. After the exchange on g5 white might also play Kf2 to allow the rook to back up the queen on h1 and go for mate on h7 or h8.

b1_
08-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Thx Michael. Looks like another good move that I missed (stop rubbing it in now.) I comfort myself with the thought that perhaps subliminally I new there was a game winning move at that point somewhere in the position. Looking back on this game, one of my first after a 15 yr hiatus from chess, I can recognise my move 11. was very bad, and deserved to be punished. :wall:

My main query was about the perfect center pawns and how to proceed. I have since read a few books and can confirm that in fact, strategically the best course of action in this situation is to hold the pawns where they are! In fact, Black, strategically, wants white to push one of the central pawns, because that will weaken the other pawn in the center, and provide him with a target, not to mention a pawn hole that his knight can jump into to break through my lines, which is exactly what he did on the very next move. Pushing one of the pawns breaks a very important principle, one of the most important ones, and that is to RESTRICT THE MOVEMENTS OF YOUR APPONENTS PIECES WHENEVER YOU CAN.

If the only move choices I had on move 11 were to push the d-pawn, to push the e-pawn, or push neither, the worst that I could do is push the d-pawn, which is what I did. This is the worst because it now creates a backward e-pawn that cannot be covered by another pawn (no f-pawn). This backward pawn should start to blaze bright target red in Black's mind. All he has to do is control the square in front of the e-pawn or block it with a piece, (so as to immobilise it), then pile up on it.

The second worse is to push the e-pawn, for the same reason as above, only this is slightly better because I could eventually back the d-pawn up with the c-pawn.

The best was to hold them and use them as a support base for my pieces to get at black's position. Kind of like you're own little chess aircraft carrier out in the center far from home.

I'd say 11.Bxh6 and 11.Bc4 were the two standout's and neither was a pawn push.

Of course, pushing the e-pawn is a great move if I had played one of the correct lines and got my bishop on d3 a few moves later, as it opens up a winning attack on black's kingside. Afterall, all strategic considerations get thrown out the window once you've got a winning attack.