PDA

View Full Version : Post quoting

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2004, 12:28 AM
You will notice that this forum allows for quote pyramids whereas the ACF BB only quoted the text of the message you replied to.

While you can have a lot of fun with quote pyramids, constantly hitting "quote" and not editing what you are quoting can result in extremely large posts.

To keep bandwidth down for all (our new hosts especially) and to allow more posts to appear on the same page, please edit material that you are quoting, especially material from previous posters to the post that you are replying to. This is extremely easy to do, after pressing "quote", you can simply highlight material using your mouse and delete it by pressing delete. Some people were already doing this, others were not.

On average, most posts should not need to contain more quoted text than new text. Quoting 50 lines of text for a few lines of reply should be avoided, except for in-jokes about quote pyramids.

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 12:46 AM
You will notice that this forum allows for quote pyramids whereas the ACF BB only quoted the text of the message you replied to.

While you can have a lot of fun with quote pyramids, constantly hitting "quote" and not editing what you are quoting can result in extremely large posts.

To keep bandwidth down for all (our new hosts especially) and to allow more posts to appear on the same page, please edit material that you are quoting, especially material from previous posters to the post that you are replying to. This is extremely easy to do, after pressing "quote", you can simply highlight material using your mouse and delete it by pressing delete. Some people were already doing this, others were not.

On average, most posts should not need to contain more quoted text than new text. Quoting 50 lines of text for a few lines of reply should be avoided, except for in-jokes about quote pyramids.

OK

skip to my lou
02-01-2004, 12:47 AM

OK

OK :D

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 12:50 AM

OK

Copy cat! :D

skip to my lou
02-01-2004, 12:53 AM
haha I'll let someone else continue the pyramiding before I get in trouble. (again)

Kevin Bonham
02-01-2004, 12:59 AM

OK

Always fun for about five minutes, isn't it?

Gandalf
02-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Don't make me ban you all! ;)

chesslover
02-01-2004, 06:45 AM

OK

Always fun for about five minutes, isn't it?

it is really pathetic the way people do this

Monkey see, monkey do indeed :D

this tells you more about the juvenile immaturity of the people doing it

really silly stuff :P

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2004, 05:26 PM

Or maybe a neanderthal. :D

PHAT
02-01-2004, 06:31 PM

Or maybe a neanderthal. :D

Neanderthal had a bigger brain than Homo sapien 8)

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2004, 06:32 PM
Didnt make him any the less stupid.

PHAT
02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
You are a glass half empty guy. Far from being stupid, comparitively, neanderthal was by far the smartest species on the planet along with H. sapien.

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 07:56 PM
You are a glass half empty guy. Far from being stupid, comparitively, neanderthal was by far the smartest species on the planet along with H. sapien.

Paleoanthropology is not my strong suit but I believe neandertals are generally considered to be a race of H sapien and not a distinct species in their own right. (Unlike the earlier humans and hominids e.g. H erectus or A afarensis)

Overall cranial capacity does not make one race "smarter" than another. For 100,000s of years neandertals and anatomically modern humans (AMHs) coexisted and behaved almost indistinguishably. then 40-50,000 years ago something happened which caused the AMH race to take off technologically. That's why you and I are here today communicating over the internet and neandertals aren't. ;)

chesslover
02-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Overall cranial capacity does not make one race "smarter" than another. For 100,000s of years neandertals and anatomically modern humans (AMHs) coexisted and behaved almost indistinguishably. then 40-50,000 years ago something happened which caused the AMH race to take off technologically. That's why you and I are here today communicating over the internet and neandertals aren't. ;)

I think what happened was climate change in Africa. All of humans came from a common ancestor in the Rif Valley in Africa

PHAT
02-01-2004, 08:10 PM

Paleoanthropology is not my strong suit but I believe neandertals are generally considered to be a race of H sapien and not a distinct species in their own right. (Unlike the earlier humans and hominids e.g. H erectus or A afarensis)

There is work on going to determine if AMH and neanderthal were interbreading. If so, then same species, if not, not.

Rincewind
02-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I think what happened was climate change in Africa. All of humans came from a common ancestor in the Rif Valley in Africa

I don't believe climate change is the whole story. Perhaps some freak mutation changing the neural topology also had an effect. The climate in Africa was already different to that in Europe but the neandertals were quickly displaced even in climates (like Nth Europe) which favoured their anatomy. AMH with higher tech clothes and weapons easily competed and won outside their ideal climate.

There is work on going to determine if AMH and neanderthal were interbreading. If so, then same species, if not, not.

Interbreeding is not the criterion for speciation but the ability to interbred. Perhaps in the future they may be considered a separate species but at present they are generally not.

Do you know if a name for this new species (should it eventuate) been proposed?

I suspect the main reasons for there inclusion in H sapien at present is their anatomical similarities and the recency of their coexistence with AMH.

PHAT
03-01-2004, 12:13 AM

Interbreeding is not the criterion for speciation but the ability to interbred. Perhaps in the future they may be considered a separate species but at present they are generally not.

Do you know if a name for this new species (should it eventuate) been proposed?

I suspect the main reasons for there inclusion in H sapien at present is their anatomical similarities and the recency of their coexistence with AMH.

Species. A laypersons rule of thumb is if the cross produces fertile offspring , then they are the same species. Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. A high school definition is that the individuals must also have the opportunity under normal natural enviromental conditions to interbreed as well. Without out that opportunity, genetic drift will quickly lead to "infertility" based criteria being satifified.

It also get messy with individual that are theoretically in the same gene pool but have geographically correlated morphalogical differences over a range of environments. These individuals may/may not interbreed because they don't dig their tail-feathers. This helps speciation to occur.
Once speciation has begun it is not likely to reverse once the "fertile offspring" test begins to fail. eg. AxB=fertile, BxC=fertile, AxC?fertile.

How this effects AMH x neanderthal, I don't know, other than to say that mitachondrial DNA studies are underway. The lumping together of all the recent Man Version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 has traditionally been done because the anatomy of fossiles was the only most important objective point of comparison. Anthropologists, using recovered artifacts and induction, also contribute usefully to the debate. However, molecular genetics is really hot right now. Stay tuned.

skip to my lou
03-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Totally amazed at how you guys got from Post quoting to neanderthals.

PHAT
03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Totally amazed at how you guys got from Post quoting to neanderthals.

That feeling will soon pass - familiarity will breed contempt.

Kevin Bonham
03-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Actually it's not a bad discussion, but it's totally offtopic here now, it's clearly evolved into a totally different species. I've creating a new thread (Neanderthals, speciation etc) on the nonchess section so feel free to take your rapidly mutating thread DNA over there. :D

chesslover
03-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Actually it's not a bad discussion, but it's totally offtopic here now, it's clearly evolved into a totally different species. I've creating a new thread (Neanderthals, speciation etc) on the nonchess section so feel free to take your rapidly mutating thread DNA over there. :D

Kevin - you are very wity with that quip about the rapidly mutating thread DNA quip!! And unlike a couple of the psoters here, you really a full 100% wit :)

Jeo - you will soon get used to off topic threads. In the old ACF BB I cannot recall any thread with a significant number of posts, that did not at one point veer off topic