PDA

View Full Version : A repertoire for Black

Trent Parker
09-02-2005, 01:14 AM
I"m thinking of changing my repertoire as black against 1.e4. I might play something a little more main line than the Portugese Scandinavian.

Perhaps the french??? Perhaps Kev can help me here?

I know that against the french advance the strategy is to break up white's central pawns but what is the strategy against other variations such as the tarrach etc.

pax
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
"Mastering the French" by McDonald and Harley is a good resource for the French. The chapters are laid out by pawn formation rather than variation, an approach which works well even though the formations often line up well with the variations (and it can be hard to locate certain variations e.g the Tarrasch). The general approach is to explore the themes an illustrate with example games, rather than explore every variation which is good for getting a feel of the opening.

Trent Parker
09-02-2005, 10:27 AM
http://www.isofarro.freeserve.co.uk/french/

this looks like an interesting resource.....

Ian Rout
09-02-2005, 10:36 AM
I haven't seen it myself but the reviews of the latest version of "Play the French" by Watson all seem to be positive, and Watson is highly regarded in general.

Apparently this is a repertoire book, that is it covers recommended lines against each White variation, sometimes more than one but not all possibilities. So before thinking about getting it it's advisable to peruse a copy to make sure it likes the same lines you do.

Trent Parker
09-02-2005, 10:47 AM
http://www.isofarro.freeserve.co.uk/french/

this looks like an interesting resource.....
then again..... most pages on this site dont work.

Trent Parker
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR/Openings/french_d.html

this looks better :D

JGB
09-02-2005, 10:59 AM
The Exeter Chess Club, you have probably hit the best resource for chess knowledge on the web, in my opinion. I think I read every article those guys produced a few years back, great stuff! Chess Nut, ... check it all out, there is so many goodies around that site. ;)

antichrist
09-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Aren't the best results for Black obtained by the Sicilian?

JGB
09-02-2005, 05:22 PM

If you have ten years to study the variations.

JGB
09-02-2005, 05:22 PM

By the way the answer to your question is yes.

Garvinator
09-02-2005, 05:37 PM
By the way the answer to your question is yes.
I think more than the ten years is just personality of the player. Does the player feel more comfortable normally calculating tactics etc, or are they more concerned with long term possibilities?

Also, if going to play the french, do you like having a cramped but generally playable position and may not really get to take over the advantage if the white player plays well until about move 30?

antichrist
09-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Well, it's the first time I have made a comment on chess without everyone jumping down my throat, where is Bill to keep up the tirade?

Why did it take a low player to come out with such an important fact?

Trent Parker
10-02-2005, 09:50 AM
The arrogant one's trolls and other following posts have been moved to the non-chess section.

Trent Parker
10-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Also, if going to play the french, do you like having a cramped but generally playable position and may not really get to take over the advantage if the white player plays well until about move 30?

I Like a game where you give yourself a mission. I dont mind the french advance variation because the mission is to try to break down whites advanced passed pawns. It is the other variations i'm not sure of. I think a combination of the Exeter chess club resources and then NCO with a bit of discussion on this thread might be the way to go to study the french. (at the moment i dont have the money to go buying books)

pax
10-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I Like a game where you give yourself a mission. I dont mind the french advance variation because the mission is to try to break down whites advanced passed pawns. It is the other variations i'm not sure of. I think a combination of the Exeter chess club resources and then NCO with a bit of discussion on this thread might be the way to go to study the french. (at the moment i dont have the money to go buying books)

You probably want to avoid the Winawer unless you can really invest in the theory. Stick to the Classical, the Nf6 Tarrasch, and some natural looking lines versus the Exchange and Advance. Make sure you can handle the Milner-Barry gambit vs the Advance, and prepare something for the 2...f4 players, and the KIA players.

Trent Parker
10-02-2005, 11:00 AM
You probably want to avoid the Winawer unless you can really invest in the theory. Stick to the Classical, the Nf6 Tarrasch, and some natural looking lines versus the Exchange and Advance. Make sure you can handle the Milner-Barry gambit vs the Advance, and prepare something for the 2...f4 players, and the KIA players.

Thanks Pax...

I have had some experience with the exchange as there is a line in the portugese Scandinavian that transposes into the exchange french after several moves. So that'll cut some time :D

firegoat7
26-04-2005, 06:38 PM

AC this is the most intelligent post I have ever seen on Chesskit. What sort of sicko plays the french as black!

cheers Fg7

antichrist
26-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks, there is also realising that quick losses can occur whereas wins are usually hard long battles.

rolly16
19-06-2005, 12:29 AM
i used to play the french defence as i find it simple to master and its cramped starting position is a challenge to an attacking player. it's like inciting to rebellion but if white is not that type of rebel, then he will be toasted in the endgame when my central pawn starts rolling. check+