PDA

View Full Version : Grants for Chess Clubs

Libby
29-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi all

http://www.grantslink.gov.au/index.htm

is the website to get all the info on Govt grants. Can be a bit tricky to find what you are looking for but easier than trawling every Departmental website.

Thought I'd mention it now as there is a new round of Volunteer Small equipment Grants closing on 4 March.

I heard about the 2004 round of Volunteer Small Equipment Grants when I went to the ACT Sport & Rec Club Development Sessions. Many Clubs there had obtained the grants. They are not "chess" grants (ie not for chess sets really) they are for things your Club volunteers require. For us (ACTJCL) that may mean an application for a laptop & printer, USB flash drive, demo boards for coaches, prepaid mobile phone for our main playing venue (we have no public phone), noticeboard, kitchen equipment etc.

Maximum grant is $3000 but they seem to prefer approving many small grants rather than large ones. You can apply for $3000 in stuff and they may only approve some smaller expenditures and put a line through the big ticket requests.

Blurb is -

Organisations can apply for grants to buy small equipment items that support the work of volunteers by making it easier, safer and/or more enjoyable. Under the Volunteer Small Equipment Grants 2005, priority will be given to organisations that: - have relatively small operating budgets with limited funding resources and a relatively high volunteer to staff ratio; - demonstrate that their requested equipment will provide maximum benefit to all their volunteers by making their work safer, easier and/or more enjoyable; -demonstrate that the organisation's work supports families and/or strengthens their local communities; -have requested equipment that will have maximum benefit in the local community for a small outlay; and -have not received funding under VSEG 2003 or VSEG 2004. Previous applicants will need to reapply.

Website & applications http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facsinternet.nsf/aboutfacs/programs/sfsc-sml_equip_grants_2005.htm

Aside from anything else (and the fact that ACTJCL wants money so you shouldn't clog up the application lists :lol: ) - a Chess Club applying for these grants & awards is a profile building exercise in itself. This is FREE money - you do not have to match the grant from Club funds (although you do have to acquit it obviously). You also get into the networks to find out about future grants and can make useful connections.

ACT Sport & Rec must mirror a lot of what is available in other states. We regularly apply for their stuff so check out what you might be able to get as well.

For example, this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/development/grants/fundgrnt.html our players going to World Youth apply for, and receive, the Individual Travel Assistance.

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/development/grants/fundog.html we are applying for a Women's Grant (missed out in 2004 but try, try again)

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/development/coach/coawds.html we participate in the "thanks" program (even receiving two Industry awards in 2003)

this page http://www.sport.act.gov.au/development/awards/awdsr.html we won a 2002 Industry Award for Innovation. We also nominated ourselves for the 2003 and will nominate ourselves for 2004 Awards. Apart from a yummy free lunch - HUGE media, govt and industry networking opportunity.

Libby

Mischa
29-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Thankyou Libby,

I wish for more people like you in the chess community...sharing and helping.

Spiny Norman
30-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks Libby! I put our application in yesterday as soon as I saw your post. Its a really easy application process, only took me about 20 minutes online (once I organised our new club an ABN and a TFN through the business portal, which I hadn't bothered to do yet!). Really appreciate you sharing the information. :clap:

ursogr8
13-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Libby! I put our application in yesterday as soon as I saw your post. Its a really easy application process, only took me about 20 minutes online (once I organised our new club an ABN and a TFN through the business portal, which I hadn't bothered to do yet!). Really appreciate you sharing the information. :clap:

How did you go Frosty?

Axiom
13-04-2005, 10:36 PM
as a generally somewhat impractical person myself, i am not only in unholy awe of you, but also in dire need to sincerely thankyou for such timely and valuable direction, like all the most brilliant of insights this one cries out to be heard as it cuts through the wastelands of sub-priority. Simple. "obvious" , yet oft overlooked.

Thunderspirit
13-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Thankyou Libby,

I wish for more people like you in the chess community...sharing and helping.

We need more like Libby in Australian chess. At Mt Buller I chatted with her over the phone and described her as a "Breath of fresh air into ACT Chess"

She replied with a classic... "At least I'm not a fart!"

Spiny Norman
13-04-2005, 11:51 PM
How did you go Frosty?

No word yet. Its been 6 weeks since applications closed, so I'm assuming that we were not successful. Did anyone else apply for their chess club and, if so, we're you successful?

Or perhaps, with a bit of luck, the notifications haven't gone out yet?

firegoat7
13-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Frosty,

I applied and have not heard anything yet. I had a problem with the last question (the form didnt want to accept it), did you?

Cheers Fg7

P.S I want to thank Libby for providing this link. :clap:

Trent Parker
14-04-2005, 08:07 AM
I was watching SBS the other day and apparently they have some grants for sporting clubs for equipment etc. If i remember correctly there is a link from the sbs homepage. One may try to get their chess club a grant.....

Libby
14-04-2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facsinternet.nsf/aboutfacs/programs/sfsc-sml_equip_grants_2005.htm says

All applicants are encouraged to check this website for future updates as a list of successful organisations will be published here.

As an ex-public servant, I wouldn't necessarily think I was unsuccessful if I hadn't heard anything in 6 weeks :rolleyes: I have no idea what the turn around is on this particular grant. It is a national program so they may well have a lot of "paper" to shuffle.

Libby
14-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I was watching SBS the other day and apparently they have some grants for sporting clubs for equipment etc. If i remember correctly there is a link from the sbs homepage. One may try to get their chess club a grant.....

Link is http://www.sportscover.com/sponsorship.html

Libby
14-04-2005, 02:51 PM
We need more like Libby in Australian chess. At Mt Buller I chatted with her over the phone and described her as a "Breath of fresh air into ACT Chess"

She replied with a classic... "At least I'm not a fart!"

As I recall Lee, you were sure you misheard me at the time ;)

Libby
14-04-2005, 03:58 PM

Thanks Trent - I've just put in my (ACTJCL) application. It's an online application and not too tricky. There are four rounds of grants and one apllication is valid for all four rounds. First round closes tomorrow if you want to get in for that one. Will we win? Not sure what the profile is for this sort of grant but the website says -

Thank you for your application.It has been submitted to the SSF judging panel.
To find out if you have been successful, please watch Toyota World Sports on SBS on:

Round 1: 16th May – 7pm
Round 2: 25th July – 7pm
Round 3: 3rd October – 7pm
Round 4: 12th December – 7pm

Also this list of 2004 recipients http://www.sportscover.com/ssf_ben_list.html doesn't suggest to me that you need to be very high powered to apply.

Spiny Norman
14-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Frosty, I applied and have not heard anything yet. I had a problem with the last question (the form didnt want to accept it), did you?

I don't remember having a problem at the time ... but I have FINALLY found my printed copy of the application after about 15 minutes of frantic searching (because I usually am very thorough about filing and administration and couldn't work out where the bally thing was hiding). I eventually found it buried 1/2 way down in my "Marketing and Promotions" file. No idea how it got there ... but alls well that ends well and it now has its own file in the "Grants" section of the filing cabinet. So, enough of my anal retentive nature vis-a-vis filing ...

The last question that I have here was #18 "Do you give consent for the Department .... blah, blah, blah ...?" to which I answered "Yes". That's it. ;)

Perhaps you mean't the question before, #17, which was to do with partnerships with business, government and other community organisations? There was a rather more wordy response to that, but again, I don't recall having a problem with it at the time.

firegoat7
15-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Dear Frosty,

The first from was fine. It was the costing form afterwoods that was the problem. It didnt seem to allow me to multiply the cost at the ending. What I did was mention this in the disclaimer box, so hopefully somebody can understand why i left the total blank.

Cheers Fg7

Libby
02-05-2005, 04:34 PM
For all those still waiting ....

Hi Libby

All applications are currently being assessed and an announcement of the
successful organisations is expected to be made this month. All applicants
will be advised of the outcome of their application in writing shortly
after this announcement. Successful organisations will also be listed on
the Department's website at www.facs.gov.au at this time.

Regards
VSEG Team
Department of Family and Community Services

Spiny Norman
17-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I received an informal verbal notification today via my local federal member's office ... Croydon's application was successful. I have not yet seen any paperwork though, so I should probably refrain from further comment until it arrives.

antichrist
17-05-2005, 08:03 PM
You are a hero, give us all the details so can copy maybe

Spiny Norman
18-05-2005, 09:04 AM
You are a hero, give us all the details so can copy maybe

Can provide a copy of the application content some time ... but I will wait until I see the paperwork from the department, as perhaps they may place restrictions on what I can or cannot say about the grant.

Libby
18-05-2005, 01:18 PM
:( :( We didn't get one. Last time I pass on any suggestions ;)

You have definitely received a grant - in all your glory @ http://www.facs.gov.au/internet/facsinternet.nsf/aboutfacs/programs/sfsc-sml_equip_grants_2005.htm

antichrist
18-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I may have come across a sneaky way of getting a grant. Sporting clubs get them easily I believe, and if we join my two hobby horses together, ping pong and chess (brain and body), we shall have a beautiful brain and body. Just alternate nights for each activity.

Spiny Norman
18-05-2005, 05:34 PM
:( :( We didn't get one. Last time I pass on any suggestions ;)

Libby, they are clearly making a horrendous mistake, but that's the role of govenment sometimes.

But perhaps I should be paying you a "finders fee" of some kind for having drawn my attention to the grants program in the first place? I would be happy to receive your proposal via PM if you feel so inclined. :)

Libby
18-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Libby, they are clearly making a horrendous mistake, but that's the role of govenment sometimes.

But perhaps I should be paying you a "finders fee" of some kind for having drawn my attention to the grants program in the first place? I would be happy to receive your proposal via PM if you feel so inclined. :)

No, good luck with your grant. May it be the first of many! We have been successful with one grant already this year so we can't be too greedy.

A/c - I think you are wrong. I think chess doesn't ask for money often enough or assumes itself to be ineligible. Even for those sporting associations who get money, it takes a dedicated person prepared to get off their backside and search out the information and write a good proposal or application.

We won a Women's Sports Grant and managed to wangle our way around a set of criteria which specified the introduction or return of women or girls to physical activity.

jay_vee
18-05-2005, 09:42 PM
We won a Women's Sports Grant and managed to wangle our way around a set of criteria which specified the introduction or return of women or girls to physical activity.

This is a common problem for chess clubs, i suppose. How did you do it? Just ignore it? Or assume the brain to be a part of the physical body? Or propose some sort of physical element, eg placing the clocks at 5 meters from the board during a blitz game?

Libby
19-05-2005, 07:03 AM
This is a common problem for chess clubs, i suppose. How did you do it? Just ignore it? Or assume the brain to be a part of the physical body? Or propose some sort of physical element, eg placing the clocks at 5 meters from the board during a blitz game?

I'm not sure what got us over the line. There is a minor physical component in the sense that, between coaching, we will be undertaking some team activities - some with a slight sports bent - aimed at getting the girls to interact and develop new friendships. This is an important part of the program as we find they are most likely to continue to play when they know and like and look forward to meeting, girls at chess events.

Although it wasn't directly related to the question I was answering, I slipped in this sort of statement in a "dare to make us ineligible" kind of challenge -

Community Benefit In 1999, the International Olympic Committee granted FIDE (the International Chess Federation) the status of a recognised sporting federation under and by virtue of Article 29 of the Olympic Charter. This is the same status as the governing bodies for golf, rugby & orienteering have with the IOC. Chess is recognised as a sport broadly throughout the rest of the world.

Chess, as a sport, offers young girls opportunities at a school, club, state and national level and four young girls from the ACT represented Australia at the 2004 World Youth Chess Championship in Crete.

Should the “Chess Chicks” program succeed the ACT will experience a dramatic immediate increase in the number of capable and confident female players participating in events with a flow on in future years of increased participation amongst teenage girls and adults. In terms of broader community benefits, ACTJCL sees chess as a “clever sport” as it can “…enhance concentration, patience and perseverance, as well as develop creativity, intuition, memory, and most importantly, the ability to analyse and deduce from a set of general principles, learning to make tough decisions and solve problems flexibly.” (Dr Peter Dauvergne, July 2000).

There are also benefits, we believe, for all young players in just getting out and getting interested in something new! This program will be Mind & Body Active!