PDA

View Full Version : Gibraltar

pax
27-01-2005, 01:16 PM
It seems that SPeck isn't playing after all.. Anyone know what happened?

Bill Gletsos
27-01-2005, 01:44 PM
What made you think he was.

auriga
27-01-2005, 01:46 PM

i heard he was intending to play.
says in the latest acf bulletin
but also heard a few weeks back too.

Bill Gletsos
27-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Actually I just checked the web site.

The front page shows him as one of the confirmed entries, however the list of players on the results page doesnt.
As pax surmised it looks like he decided not to play.

Rincewind
27-01-2005, 02:07 PM

I believe, Speck's expected participation was also mentioned in this week's ACF Bulletin.

pax
28-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Incidentally, it looks like they implemented a one point, two round acceleration to the draw...

arosar
29-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Yesterday, I paid a visit to the London Chess Centre (the TWIC people) and saw an ad for this tourn. Also managed to buy a chess themed tie.

Now in Paris. Be back in Sydney on Tuesday? It's 4.18PM in the avro here. I just luurve the Eurostar!!

AR

Bill Gletsos
30-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Ian is =11th on 3.5 after 5 rounds.
I notice he took a half point bye in round 4.

pballard
31-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Why the multiple byes in a single round? Is it a scheme to ensure every player has one bye?

pax
01-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Rogers just lost to Danny Gormally (with white) in round 7.

On the upside, it looks as though Gormally might finally get his third GM norm after all these years. He's missed it by half a point so many times it's not funny anymore.

Half a point from his last two games is almost certainly sufficient for the norm.

pax
01-02-2005, 09:29 AM
From the round 6 bulletin (by Manuel Weeks):

Itís not often you see a grandmaster blunder a piece, its even more rare that afterwards he can still manage to draw the game! This is what happened when Australian GM Ian Rogers sacrificed his knight against Swedish GM Pia Cramling. In a winning position the Australian had a number of good moves and after he played 29..,Nd2 he thought that Pia might resign! After looking around for any possible moves she had it suddenly dawned on him that taking the en prise knight was legal and good! The ending was still hard to win and eventually all the pawns were traded off to only rook and bishop versus rook which Cramling still had one last attempt to win. The position is a theoretical draw but the defensive mechanism must be known. After 35 moves with only these pieces left he passed his knowledge test and made good his escape with the half point.

pballard
01-02-2005, 12:23 PM
That 29...Nd2 (??) by Rogers against Cramling is extraordinary. What WAS he thinking? Is there a "strange story" behind it? Anyway, I don't feel so bad about some of my blunders now! :)

--
Peter

Ian Rout
01-02-2005, 12:50 PM
That 29...Nd2 (??) by Rogers against Cramling is extraordinary. What WAS he thinking? Is there a "strange story" behind it? Anyway, I don't feel so bad about some of my blunders now! :)

--
Peter
The way I would make that mistake would be to note that h2 was controlled and g3 occupied so if I could safely play Qf1 it would be mate ...

I notice that Gibralter doesn't seem to be mentioned at all on chessbase.com - of course it isn't as big as Corus but it has a fair few household names. Anybody know if there's some political/commercial thing there?

pax
01-02-2005, 02:07 PM
The way I would make that mistake would be to note that h2 was controlled and g3 occupied so if I could safely play Qf1 it would be mate ...

I notice that Gibralter doesn't seem to be mentioned at all on chessbase.com - of course it isn't as big as Corus but it has a fair few household names. Anybody know if there's some political/commercial thing there?

Chessbase has never come close to covering all the big events. I don't think it's political, more that they just choose only to cover blockbusters and pretty girls.
TWIC is a better bet for anything that isn't at least category 15.

Garvinator
01-02-2005, 02:17 PM
and pretty girls.
is there anything wrong with this ;) :lol:

pax
01-02-2005, 02:28 PM
is there anything wrong with this ;) :lol:

It just emphasises the "boys club" image of chess.

Garvinator
01-02-2005, 02:39 PM
It just emphasises the "boys club" image of chess.
not so sure of that. Seeing good looking females playing competitive top quality chess is more likely to keep other girls in chess than showing a bunch of males playing in some far off tournament.

pballard
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM

Sounds reasonable... if Rogers was in severe time pressure (possible on move 29). The N on d2 is so obviously en prise, I don't see how else it could have happened.

--
Peter

Ian_Rogers
01-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Ian Rout is right - I simply forgot that h2 was not occupied by a pawn. I spent about five minutes on the move, trying to choose between ...Nd2 and ...Ng5. Eventually I decided that ...Nd2 would force resignation more quickly...

Ian

pax
02-02-2005, 07:46 AM
Gormally beat Dreev! Looks like a good game too, from a very brief play through. What a tremendously emphatic way to rack up the final GM norm. And so England makes yet another GM.

pax
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
from the rd 7 bulletin:

"English IM Danny Gormally is getting closer to the coveted GM title by defeating Australian GM Ian Rogers when the latter blundered horribly in a relatively equal position. This is the second day in a row that Rogers blundered a piece but at least yesterday he had pawns and a position to compensate! The arbiters will have calculators out today ito work out what the likely suspects need in the last rounds to gain a norm."

Good to see Rogers bounce back to beat Dworakowska in rd 8.

NickSpeck
03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
I cancelled my participation in Seville and Gibraltar due to travel difficulties resulting from the tsunami ... this was confirmed by the organisers immediately but for some reason my name was left on the list of participants.

pax
05-02-2005, 02:09 PM
rd 10:
"Armenian Lev Aronian was the lucky recipient of an unusual occurrence in this time control. His opponent Australian grandmaster Ian Rogers with 4 minutes left on his clock simply delved into thought and only looked up at the last possible moment to see his clock with one second left! In a drawn queen ending he could not physically make a move and press his clock fast enough and therefore lost on time. With this piece of good fortune Aronian became the 5th person to finish with 6.5 points and therefore come equal first."

Not Rogers' week it would seem!