PDA

View Full Version : What's up man?

Rhubarb
25-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi Karthick,

I note that you have to log in as a member to view pages now. I'm just curious as to why there were still 34 guests viewing last time I looked. How can that be possible?

As a genuine question, I sense some malcontent on your behalf. Is there anything that we, the members, can do to help? Is it technical, financial, philosophical?

Regards,
Greg

skip to my lou
25-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I note that you have to log in as a member to view pages now. I'm just curious as to why there were still 34 guests viewing last time I looked. How can that be possible?

It will add guests that see the login page to the who's online list/count also.

As a genuine question, I sense some malcontent on your behalf. Is there anything that we, the members, can do to help? Is it technical, financial, philosophical?

I'm going to be making some major changes, and I will inform the members once I do this.

Rhubarb
25-01-2005, 09:34 PM
It will add guests that see the login page to the who's online list/count also. I'm going to be making some major changes, and I will inform the members once I do this.

Okay, I won't argue the point, and shall await your information.

Regards,
Greg

Cat
25-01-2005, 09:45 PM
It will add guests that see the login page to the who's online list/count also.

I'm going to be making some major changes, and I will inform the members once I do this.

With the greatest respect Skip, maybe if you're seeking better patronage it might be worth canvassing opinion before you make changes?

skip to my lou
25-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Hi David,

My understanding is that all options are going to be downsized, so we are in no position to demand which features to keep.

Regards,
Greg

No, I am not cutting back on any features.

Rhubarb
25-01-2005, 09:55 PM
No, I am not cutting back on any features.
OK, I see I was too late deleting that last post. I'm glad you're not cutting back on features, you're just changing features. Let me know how it all pans out.

Good Luck,
Greg

skip to my lou
25-01-2005, 10:10 PM
OK, I see I was too late deleting that last post. I'm glad you're not cutting back on features, you're just changing features. Let me know how it all pans out.

Good Luck,
Greg

Changes to structure only. The guest block is not permanent.

Cat
31-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Why has Matt been banned again, Skip?

skip to my lou
31-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Because he evaded his original ban.

Cat
31-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Because he evaded his original ban.

Maybe its time to forget & start again?

Bill Gletsos
31-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Yes lets forget about him.
He is a perennial offender.
He knew full well he was not permitted to try and evade the bans but chose to anyway.
He deserve what he got.

skip to my lou
31-01-2005, 08:08 PM

Maybe not.

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Yes lets forget about him.
He is a perennial offender.
He knew full well he was not permitted to try and evade the bans but chose to anyway.
He deserve what he got.

Bill
Don't you have confidence in the ability of the MODs and ADMIN to make these type of decisions re banning?

Why, since you were the major protagonist in the verbal warfare with Sweeney, don't you leave the decision up to them, instead of acting like a cheer-leader for banning. It is not as though you are a wannabe MOD; because we have explored that before. :confused:

Each time you cheer-lead like this there is a huge conflict of interest in your perennial argument with Sweeney.

starter

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Bill
Don't you have confidence in the ability of the MODs and ADMIN to make these type of decisions re banning?
I did not post in resposne to a MOD or the ADMIN.
I posted in response to DR.
However this seems to be a case of the post calling the kettle black as you seem to have no problem in questioning the ADMIN's decisions.

Why, since you were the major protagonist in the verbal warfare with Sweeney, don't you leave the decision up to them, instead of acting like a cheer-leader for banning. It is not as though you are a wannabe MOD; because we have explored that before. :confused:

Each time you cheer-lead like this there is a huge conflict of interest in your perennial argument with Sweeney.
If DR can post in support of lifting the ban, then I can post in support of maintaining it.

Now go off and waste someone elses time.

Rincewind
07-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Ognuno tira l'acqua al suo mulino.

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I did not post in resposne to a MOD or the ADMIN.
I posted in response to DR.

But the question I posed Bill is why post?
The MODs have made a decision, long before you post. And you clearly don't think DR convinces anyone. So, why post? Have you lost confidence in the MODs capability to make a considered and supported decision?

However this seems to be a case of the post calling the kettle black as you seem to have no problem in questioning the ADMIN's decisions.

The ADMIN is not there because of his judgement (or lack thereof), Bill. He is there because he owns the sandpit. Now, if we don't like that then we can leave, or nag him to be more reasonable.
But the MODs are voluntary, and as they have decided to ban SWEENEY, we should support them. If we have confidence in them we should not be heaping pressure on them to influence their next decision. We are entitled to say once that we agree with the MODS, or once that we disagree with a MOD; and leave it at that.

If DR can post in support of lifting the ban, then I can post in support of maintaining it.

But Bill, this way....by responding to every-one who raises the issue....you are making your same point time and time again. It is starting to look like you don't have confidence in the MODs.

Now go off and waste someone elses time.

Actually, this is a good point of yours.
Perhaps your posts at 5180, and mine at 3119, leave insufficient room for juniors and newcomers to try posting in their vernacular. Perhaps BD was correct; the language has moved on and the standards that we are applying are too constraining for the younger population. Maybe the juniors would like to post here using their 4-letter acronyms.
BroadZ and a few others seem to have been run off this BB almost from the day they appeared.

No need for you to respond Bill if you don't have the time.

starter

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Ognuno tira l'acqua al suo mulino.

Baz
I think you are trying to tell me something.
But while I may be an expert on 'a', I have no idea what this means.
Must be important otherwise you would not be telling me.
So, mate....translate here or in a PM. And while you are about, I have no idea what your signature line means. I don't DO puzzles any more.

kindest regards,
holding you in full esteem,
please do the needful,

starter

skip to my lou
07-02-2005, 12:18 PM
The ADMIN is not there because of his judgement (or lack thereof), Bill. He is there because he owns the sandpit. Now, if we don't like that then we can leave, or nag him to be more reasonable.
But the MODs are voluntary

Please state where I have not been reasonable.

Also, are you suggesting my position as ADMIN, is not voluntary?

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Please state where I have not been reasonable.

I didn't think it reasonable that you publish commercial e-mail addresses on a public bb.
The MOD did not think reasonable either as he amended your post to disguise the addresses sufficiently.

I didn't think it reasonable that you did not apologise for releasing the addresses even though the MOD. clearly saw remdial action was required.

Also, are you suggesting my position as ADMIN, is not voluntary?
Well, no.....I did not say that.
But clearly there is a difference in potential outlook. A MOD. can never look fwd to recompense. But an ADMIN. can but hope for a CRICKEY.com type buy-out.

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2005, 12:37 PM
But the question I posed Bill is why post?
The MODs have made a decision, long before you post. And you clearly don't think DR convinces anyone. So, why post? Have you lost confidence in the MODs capability to make a considered and supported decision?
It has nothing to do with confidence.
All I see is your attempt to stir up trouble.

But the MODs are voluntary, and as they have decided to ban SWEENEY, we should support them. If we have confidence in them we should not be heaping pressure on them to influence their next decision. We are entitled to say once that we agree with the MODS, or once that we disagree with a MOD; and leave it at that.
It is the ADMIN who effectively gives the moderators their powers.
The ADMIN is the highest authority, if he decides to ban someone there is little the MODS can do about it.

But Bill, this way....by responding to every-one who raises the issue....you are making your same point time and time again. It is starting to look like you don't have confidence in the MODs.
What I dont have is confidence that you will ever stop posting rubbish.
If its not support for "marketing puff" its your continual competitive index posts.

Actually, this is a good point of yours.
The point is you have become a waste of space.

Perhaps your posts at 5180, and mine at 3119, leave insufficient room for juniors and newcomers to try posting in their vernacular. Perhaps BD was correct; the language has moved on and the standards that we are applying are too constraining for the younger population. Maybe the juniors would like to post here using their 4-letter acronyms.
BroadZ and a few others seem to have been run off this BB almost from the day they appeared.
If they cannot post without swearing every second word then good riddence.
We dont see Candy Cane or Kaitlin behaving badly.

No need for you to respond Bill if you don't have the time.
Its not a matter of time, its just your posts have become a waste of space.

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 12:53 PM
It is the ADMIN who effectively gives the moderators their powers.
The ADMIN is the highest authority, if he decides to ban someone there is little the MODS can do about it.

Thanks for this sentence.
But is not relevant given that Kevin made the decision.

What I dont have is confidence that you will ever stop posting rubbish.
If its not support for "marketing puff" its your continual competitive index posts.

Just an attempted smear/irrelevancy instead of a debating point Bill? It carries no weight.

The point is you have become a waste of space.
If K. thought that then he would do a Mt B. on me and archive my sign-on.
Just leave the ADMIN. work to K., Bill.

If they cannot post without swearing every second word then good riddence.
And that says it all Bill. :rolleyes:
Post to Bill's standard or else.

Its not a matter of time, its just your posts have become a waste of space.

starter

skip to my lou
07-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I didn't think it reasonable that you publish commercial e-mail addresses on a public bb.
The MOD did not think reasonable either as he amended your post to disguise the addresses sufficiently.

I didn't think it reasonable that you did not apologise for releasing the addresses even though the MOD. clearly saw remdial action was required.

Well, no.....I did not say that.
But clearly there is a difference in potential outlook. A MOD. can never look fwd to recompense. But an ADMIN. can but hope for a CRICKEY.com type buy-out.

regards
starter

I think it was reasonable. You seem to ignore my requests at your convenience. You also twist the facts and misrepresent them for your own convenience.

Do you know how many offers I have received for the purchase of both chess sites and do you know how many of those offers have been declined?

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 01:01 PM
<snip>

Do you know how many offers I have received for the purchase of both chess sites and do you know how many of those offers have been declined?

Karthick, I am happy to be told how many offers you have received for the purchase of the sites. I do not know the answer.

starter

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 01:04 PM
<snip>
All I see is your attempt to stir up trouble.

<snip>.
So that is the rule is it Bill >
If you have the last post then everything is OK; but if we challenge your last post, then we are stirring up trouble?

starter

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for this sentence.
But is not relevant given that Kevin made the decision.
Kevin notes over in another thread in the Coffee Lounge that he didnt and you acknowledged that.

Just an attempted smear/irrelevancy instead of a debating point Bill? It carries no weight.
The relevance is that you have posted rubbish in the past supporting lost causes.

You can be a waste of space without the ADMIN taking action.

And that says it all Bill. :rolleyes:
Post to Bill's standard or else.
No, I simply stated my view. However its obvious the Mods edit/delete swearing/foul language. They will edit/delete the offending words or posts and warn the offender. If the offender continues to offend then they face being banned by the Mods or the Admin

You can be a waste of space without the ADMIN taking action.

Bill Gletsos
07-02-2005, 01:32 PM
So that is the rule is it Bill >
If you have the last post then everything is OK; but if we challenge your last post, then we are stirring up trouble?
Thats not what I said and you know it.

If DR wants to post in support of Matt, then I can post in opposition to DR.

That no way implies lack of confidence on my part in the Mods or the Admin.

In fact if anyone has been questioning the Mods/admin decisions it is you.

Rincewind
07-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I think you are trying to tell me something.
But while I may be an expert on 'a', I have no idea what this means.
Must be important otherwise you would not be telling me.
So, mate....translate here or in a PM. And while you are about, I have no idea what your signature line means. I don't DO puzzles any more.

Idiomatic expressions are one of my interests. It literally means "Everyone takes water to their own mill". What I was referrring to was Bill "conflict of interest" (as you call it) is not a conflict of interest as everyone knows his position on Matt's banning. It is only a conflict if it is going to affect his decision making capacity in some way or he is expressing an opinion on something in which he has an unknown vested interest.

As far as I can tell, Bill is simply point out his opinion and usually this is in reply to an appeal by you or DR for clemency. I think the length of the Sweeney ban would be inversely proportional to the number of posts like this that are generated.

Here is another one you can ask SWMBO about...

Non si puņ avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca.

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Idiomatic expressions are one of my interests. It literally means "Everyone takes water to their own mill". What I was referrring to was Bill "conflict of interest" (as you call it) is not a conflict of interest as everyone knows his position on Matt's banning. It is only a conflict if it is going to affect his decision making capacity in some way or he is expressing an opinion on something in which he has an unknown vested interest.
Baz
I am glad I asked. I would never has guessed this was your intent. Thanks.
On closer examination I can see that the COI not best expressed.

I think the length of the Sweeney ban would be inversely proportional to the number of posts like this that are generated.

I think this sentence, isolated as it is like this, must cause you some regret?
Surely not a mathematical dependency. :eek:

starter

Arrogant-One
07-02-2005, 04:14 PM
My name is not Karthick. You must be looking for someone else.

Garvinator
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM
alex, who are you referring to when you say you are not Karthick, who made that comment?

Karthick, I take it we dont have pgn boards at the moment? Is that correct?

skip to my lou
07-02-2005, 05:41 PM
No PGN at the moment, I need to rewrite the bbcode script when I get a chance.

Garvinator
07-02-2005, 05:44 PM
No PGN at the moment, I need to rewrite the bbcode script when I get a chance.
thats cool, was just checking that it wasnt just me :D

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Bump

Karthick, I am happy to be told how many offers you have received for the purchase of the sites. I do not know the answer.

starter

ursogr8
07-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Idiomatic expressions are one of my interests. <snip>

Baz
Looks awfully close to a foreign cliche to me. :P
Is there a difference?
starter

ursogr8
08-02-2005, 08:11 AM
<snip>

Baz

I ran this past SWMBO and and she had some trouble translating 'botte', even with the help of the previously quoted reference. Her attention span was rather short at the time and over her shoulder she left me with "Don't take any risks; just remember this is early February".
What have you got me into?

starter

Rincewind
08-02-2005, 08:18 AM
I ran this past SWMBO and and she had some trouble translating 'botte', even with the help of the previously quoted reference. Her attention span was rather short at the time and over her shoulder she left me with "Don't take any risks; just remember this is early February".
What have you got me into?

Here are the nouns (thankfully both are feminine)

botte (s.f) = barrel
moglie (s.f) = wife

Translation of verbs and adjectives to come, if required. ;)

ursogr8
08-02-2005, 08:30 AM
^
Baz
This comes as a relief.
'botte' was with three (other) meanings, with a definite edge, in the reference.

moglie, we got of course.

Early Feb. is always high risk for me. I get V.'s Day and W.A. Day mixed up occasionally.

starter