PDA

View Full Version : 2005 World Youth

jenni
24-01-2005, 02:35 PM
The 2005 World Youth Championships will be in Belfort, France.

Arrival date 18 July 2005
Departure 30 July 2005

It covers the Open under 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and Girls Under 10, 12 ,14, 16, 18.

The ACF will be calling for applications very soon. There will also be the oportunity, for additional Juniors of the correct standard to be part of the team.

I will be managing the team again in 2005 (unless someone else wishes to volunteer?).

Please feel free to send a PM if you want to discuss your options.

jenni
25-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Applications for primary selections close next week. BB's Kevin Bonham is the co-ordinator for these.

Anyone planning to go to Belfort, either as a primary or secondary selection needs to contact me ASAP - I am creating an e-mail distribution list to send out info to interested Juniors and parents.

latest info

The organising committee recommends either getting a train to Belfort or flying into Mulhouse-Bale. Transport will be organised from Mulhouse-Bale and from Belfort station.

Website will be ready "soon".

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2005, 03:28 AM
'Twould be nice if applicants would read the requirements of how to apply before sending in their applications - these were clearly outlined in the Bulletin and I'm getting tired of having to spell things out to people who didn't click on the required link to the by-laws and see what info they had to send.

Brian_Jones
26-02-2005, 07:01 AM
There speaks the voice of a potential bureaucrat - ever thought of moving to Canberra Kevin!

jenni
26-02-2005, 11:33 AM
There speaks the voice of a potential bureaucrat - ever thought of moving to Canberra Kevin!

That is not nice - Canberra has a lot of people who aren't at all bureaucratic :wall:

Anyway I understand where Kevin is coming from. I am a bit of a gungho person myself - more important to get things done than dot every i ...

HOWEVER

the last time someone tried to do the junior selections without adhering 100% to every little detail as specified in the bye-law, it resulted in the tiny infractions being used as an excuse to lodge appeals.

Much better to do everything by the book in these rather delicate situations.

Kerry Stead
26-02-2005, 01:07 PM
'Twould be nice if applicants would read the requirements of how to apply before sending in their applications - these were clearly outlined in the Bulletin and I'm getting tired of having to spell things out to people who didn't click on the required link to the by-laws and see what info they had to send.
Its all part of the job Kev ... The ones who are really serious about the application, or the ones who have been before will know what to include, but those that are new applicants, or are perhaps not completely serious might not include everything that is needed. Also things like correct ratings need to be chased up - its amazing how many kids put down things like '1600 something'. Yes ... first time I did it was a learning experience ... hopefully we've all moved on and can avoid making mistakes of the past.
Good luck with it Kev ... I'm sure you'll be fine!

auriga
26-02-2005, 01:08 PM
That is not nice - Canberra has a lot of people who aren't at all bureaucratic :wall:

think its just a cartoon character being cheeky :D
tell him to go and find zebidee...

jenni
10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
It appears the dates for the world youth might have changed by 1 day.

This is in spite of the orgnisers assuring me that the dates were definite. :wall:

I am trying to get definite info one way or the other, but it does look like it.

Web page for the comp (still under construction) is

http://www.belfort-echecs.com/?lang=en

Mischa
10-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Would like to think...but know no chance.Pity, or lucky...financially I mean.

jenni
11-03-2005, 11:17 AM
or lucky...financially I mean.

Yes - its a big ask for parents. We are always very envious of the South African team, who are fully paid for by their federation. They turn up in matching track-suits, caps and even matching backpacks!

I understand they get around 1000 kids play in their nationals. I know they have a much bigger population, but given the socio-economic status of most of them, it is still a huge turnout. Just shows what an historically non-chess playing nation can achieve in a short time.

jenni
13-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Apart from the 10 Primary selections, it is possible to apply to be endorsed to play as a secondary selection. The only difference is you pay for your entry fee and accommodation and food.

Obviously only players who are considered of a correct standard will be endorsed. This whole procedure will be more formalised in 2006, but for 2005 what is necessary is for a junior to apply to me to be endorsed by the 31st March. I will get the endorsement from the ACF on your behalf - as a rule of thumb, you should be appearing on the "top" lists for your age groups that are published as part of the ratings.

We will be working to a very tight schedule this year, so people not notifying by 31 March will not be allowed to play.

Please feel free to contact me for any info on this, or on the competition generally.

Duff McKagan
30-03-2005, 04:23 PM
It was good to see that Candy-Cane was automatically selected in the girls U-18 division, being the only applicant. The family could do with the expense money being covered and it will be a great experience overseas. I'm sure she will perform to her usual high standards.

jenni
30-03-2005, 04:32 PM
It was good to see that Candy-Cane was automatically selected in the girls U-18 division, being the only applicant. The family could do with the expense money being covered and it will be a great experience overseas. I'm sure she will perform to her usual high standards.

Actually this is not entirely true. I do not want to make any major comment on this, but there was at least one other applicant, maybe 2, so it is not a definite for Candy-Cane.

Selectors have been given a few extra days, as some of them were playing at Doeberl and others may have wished to take Doeberl results into account. Selections will be with Kevin on 31st and released very soon thereafter.

Duff McKagan
30-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Hmm, that sounds a little fishy. This email was sent out on the 11th March:

>From: "Kevin Bonham" <k_bonham@tassie.net.au>
>To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
>Subject: World Junior Applications
>Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:10:36 +1100
>
>Dear World Junior Applicants,
>
>The deadline for responses from players wishing to play in more than one
>division has expired and the applicants and divisions applied for are
>therefore listed below.

Further down the page it reads:

>The following are the applicants for the various divisions.
>
>U18 Open: Vincent Suttor, Gareth Oliver, Jason Hu, Ken Xie
>U16 Open: James Obst, James Cronan, Christopher Wallis, Justin Huang
>U14 Open: Moulthun Ly, Justin Huang, Edwin Wu, Junta Ikeda
>U12 Open: Justin Chow, Zhigen Wilson Lin, Raymond Song
>U10 Open: Edison Tsui, Jake McCook, Yi Yuan
>
>U18 Girls: Vaness Reid (sole applicant and therefore automatically selected
>for this division unless her application for her preferred U16 division is
>also successful)
>U16 Girls: Heather Huddleston, Vaness Reid, Rebecca Harris, Miona Ikeda
>U14 Girls: Tamzin Oliver, Angela Song, Luthien Russell
>U12 Girls: Kayleigh Smith, Molly McGarity, Lara Ong, Luthien Russell, Sally
>Yu
>U10 Girls: Megan Setiabudi, Emma Guo.

From my understanding if applicants did not use the right to apply by the deadline, it is their bad luck. Also if they were not diligent enough to apply for more than one division, it is only the divisions that they applied for that can be counted. One cannot circulate an email with a finalized selection, and then take it back. So again, congrats to Vaness and good luck in France!

jenni
30-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Hmm, that sounds a little fishy. This email was sent out on the 11th March:

Further down the page it reads:

From my understanding if applicants did not use the right to apply by the deadline, it is their bad luck. Also if they were not diligent enough to apply for more than one division, it is only the divisions that they applied for that can be counted. One cannot circulate an email with a finalized selection, and then take it back. So again, congrats to Vaness and good luck in France!

Yes but the following e-mail was sent out on 14th March.

"Please note that the list of applications for World Junior divisions is provisional as some email problems have come to light (one of them probably my mistake, the others apparently because of an email being sent but never arriving with me). As these are sorted out it is likely that more players will be added as applicants for divisions higher than their own than those listed in my previous email.

Apologies for the confusion - intend to have a complete and final list of applications within a few days."

Wonderful as e-mail is it still has problems and applicants should not be punished because of problems in cyber-space. Otherwise we might have to return to snail mail. :wall: If you had access to the first e-mail I am sure you have had access to subsequent ones? So must know that Candy-Cane is not the only applicant?

So Candy-Cane will have to wait until 31st March (or shortly thereafter), to know whether she has been successful or not. If she has been I am sure the rest of your post will be true and she will represent us well.

I would also like to say that Kevin Bonham has been a superb selections co-ordinator. :clap: In all the years I have been involved in this process, I have never seen the applicants as well informed of what is happening and what is involved. Usually it is a black hole into which your children's applications sink and at some point you hear the result. This year we have constantly been kept informed both of who the other applicants are and when we can expect to hear the results.

Duff McKagan
30-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes but the following e-mail was sent out on 14th March.

"Please note that the list of applications for World Junior divisions is provisional as some email problems have come to light (one of them probably my mistake, the others apparently because of an email being sent but never arriving with me). As these are sorted out it is likely that more players will be added as applicants for divisions higher than their own than those listed in my previous email.

Apologies for the confusion - intend to have a complete and final list of applications within a few days."

Ok this makes sense then, if some other people could not apply in time due to technical delays. My understanding was that Candy-Cane was the only legitimate applicant but I guess we shall find out tomorrow sometime. Anyways lets hope the announcement was not in vain. Cheers.

jenni
30-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Ok this makes sense then, if some other people could not apply in time due to technical delays. My understanding was that Candy-Cane was the only legitimate applicant but I guess we shall find out tomorrow sometime. Anyways lets hope the announcement was not in vain. Cheers.

Kevin has been doing everything by the book, because we are all terrified after the debacle a few years ago. :)

It is alwasy a tense time for applicants and their supporters - nearly over now. :cool:

jenni
07-04-2005, 06:17 PM
The Primary Selections for World Youth are as follows

Open Under 18

Vincent Suttor NSW

Girls Under 18

Vaness Reid NSW

Open Under 16

James Obst SA

Girls Under 16

Heather Huddleston NSW

Open Under 14

Moulthun Ly QLD

Girls Under 14

Tamzin Oliver ACT (replaces Angela Song who declined her selection)

Open Under 12

Zhigen Lin VIC (replaces Raymond Song who declined his selection)

Girls Under 12

Luthien Russell QLD

Open Under 10

Yi Yuan ACT

Girls Under 10

Emma Guo ACT

The complete team (plus coaches and parents) will be finalised next week and I'll put the names up.

Kevin Bonham
07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Just reposting the message that also appeared in today's Newsletter, with the player who has ultimately accepted the selection in each division shown in bold. Please note that although the appeal deadline had expired by the time the notice appeared, applicants were given the required seven days' notice by email of the results and their appeal rights. No appeals were received so these selections are now official.

As a personal comment I found filling in in the role of junior selection co-ordinator to be one of the trickier things I have done in chess admin, am immensely relieved to have got through it without any major stuff-ups and am currently drafting a small flotilla of recommendations to ACF Council on ways to hopefully improve the process.

- Kevin Bonham
Acting ACF Junior Selections Co-Ordinator

World Juniors provisional selections: These are the provisional selections for the World Juniors based on the totals of the rankings provided by the five selectors. In each case the first named player is the selected player in each division and the remaining players are the reserves in order of priority.

My thanks to the selectors, IGM Ian Rogers, IM Stephen Solomon, IA Manuel Weeks, FM Brett Tindall and FM Geoff Saw for their many hours of work on the selections.

My thanks also to all the applicants for their interest in representing Australia, and to all the parents, coaches and other connections who have helped with applications.

Appeals may be made as per section 9 of the ACF selections by-laws which can be found at http://www.auschess.org.au/constitution/con7.htm . The deadline for appeals is April 6th.

If any appeals are received the affected candidates will be notified.

- Kevin Bonham
Acting ACF Junior Selections Co-Ordinator.

Open U18
Vincent Suttor
Christopher Wallis
Jason Hu
Gareth Oliver
Zhigen Wilson Lin
Ken Xie

Open U16
James Obst
Christopher Wallis
James Cronan
Zhigen Wilson Lin
Justin Huang

Open U14
Moulthun Ly
Junta Ikeda
Zhigen Wilson Lin
Justin Huang
Edwin Wu

Open U12
Raymond Song
Zhigen Wilson Lin
Justin Chow

Open U10
Yi Yuan
Jake McCook
Edison Tsui

Girls U18
Vaness Reid
Sally Yu

Girls U16
Heather Huddleston
Rebecca Harris
Vaness Reid
Miona Ikeda
Sally Yu

Girls U14
Angela Song
Luthien Russell
Tamzin Oliver
Sally Yu

Girls U12
Luthien Russell
Kayleigh Smith
Sally Yu
Molly McGarity
Lara Ong

Girls U10
Emma Guo
Megan Setiabudi

P.S. Raymond Song and Angela Song have unfortunately had to decline their places in the team for family work reasons, and have been replaced by Zhigen Wilson Lin and Tamzin Oliver respectively.

Mischa
07-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Was it necessary to point out that the Song's declined their selection? It does seem to take away from those that were selected in their wake....

Trent Parker
08-04-2005, 12:01 AM
What??? Songs not going to world Youth???? Whats the go????

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Was it necessary to point out that the Song's declined their selection?

On my reading of the By-Laws it was indeed necessary because the SC is obliged to release the "results of the selections". My reading is that this includes the order the players were ranked in and not just the successful candidates.

It does seem to take away from those that were selected in their wake....

I disagree. It is common for reserves to fill places after the selections have been announced.

Thanks all for the kind comments - by the way my rant of Feb 26 appeared to have the desired effect so it was worth it. That problem's not just confined to juniors but is common in adult selections too.

Apologies for not following this thread at the time of the discussion about the email problems etc.

Kevin Bonham
08-04-2005, 12:32 AM

Parents unable to organise time off work.

Duff McKagan
08-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Go Candy-Cane! I have a question, are FMs able to be earned at the junior worlds? It would be nice if Vaness could get it this time around after just missing in NZ. Cheers

jenni
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Parents unable to organise time off work.

There were a whole range of reasons, of which work pressure was one of them.

jenni
08-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Was it necessary to point out that the Song's declined their selection? It does seem to take away from those that were selected in their wake....

I don't have a problem with it and I don't believe Tamzin would either. Angela is clearly the strongest by a wide margin and Tamzin is grateful to be given the opportunity to represent her country as a Primary selection. (However she did tell me she would rather have had Angela there, as they are pretty good mates).

jenni
08-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Go Candy-Cane! I have a question, are FMs able to be earned at the junior worlds? It would be nice if Vaness could get it this time around after just missing in NZ. Cheers

Without taking away from Vaness' ability, I think the question is almost irrelevant. In the last 10 years the 2 best performances by Aussie girls in the under 18 girls have been Jasmine Lauer-Smith in 1999 and Shannon Oliver in 2004. Both scored 5 points. Even if Vaness outperforms them and gets to 6, which would be a fantastic score, its not going to get her anything.

I think Vaness should not worry about those sort of goals or even points. Just enjoy each game, do the best she can and look at points at the end.

Denis_Jessop
08-04-2005, 09:03 PM

At least, if anyone else pulls out in consequence, it will be a case of "Follow my Lieder" :rolleyes:

DJ

jenni
09-04-2005, 12:39 AM
At least, if anyone else pulls out in consequence, it will be a case of "Follow my Lieder" :rolleyes:

DJ
:lol:

jenni
08-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Team members will be starting to leave for Europe in the next 3 weeks - school holidays immediately prior to the competition has meant people are able to add on a holiday before the comp!

Full team is

Open Under 18

Vincent Suttor
Peter Jovanovic
Gareth Oliver
Chris Wallis

Girls Under 18

Vaness Reid

Open Under 16

James Obst
James Cronan

Girls Under 16

Heather Huddleston
Miona Ikeda

Open Under 14

Moulthun Ly
Junta Ikeda
Edwin Wu
Derek Yu

Girls Under 14

Tamzin Oliver

Open Under 12

Zhigen Wilson Lin
Justin Chow

Girls Under 12

Luthien Russell
Molly McGarity
Sally Yu

Open Under 10

Yi Yuan
Jake McCook

Girls Under 10

Emma Guo

Coaches

GM Darryl Johansen
IM David Smerdon
FM Manuel Weeks
IM Gary Lane
FM Geoff Saw

Baggage Handlers

Jenni Oliver
Tony Oliver
Liz Wallis
Dave Reid
Julie Meeking
Jenny Cronan
Tina Huddleston
Makiko Ikeda
Eakheng Ly
Bonnie Wu
Yiu Sun Wu
Wan Yu Wong
Anna Chen
Allan Russell
Liam McGarity
Annie McGarity
Qi-Fang Chen
Sharon Boswell

Brian_Jones
09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
My forecast is that Zhigen Lin will do well in U12!

jenni
09-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Its always hard to predict these things.

I have 4 favourites for good results - Zhigen, Moulthun, Yi Yuan and Emma Guo, but anything can happen.

pax
09-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Its always hard to predict these things.

I have 4 favourites for good results - Zhigen, Moulthun, Yi Yuan and Emma Guo, but anything can happen.

I'd also expect Junta might do very well.

jenni
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I'd also expect Junta might do very well.
I very nearly added Junta, but thought maybe I was putting too many ACT kids in my favourites list.....

Also Junta does have a bit of a history of not performing as well in high pressure tournaments. Probably just an experience thing - some kids handle the stress better than others.

pax
09-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Also Junta does have a bit of a history of not performing as well in high pressure tournaments.

I'm sure he'll crack one soon. Lets hope it's this one!

jenni
09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm sure he'll crack one soon. Lets hope it's this one!

Yes I hope so too - he is an amazing little player, (with a wicked sense of humour)!

jenni
09-06-2005, 03:54 PM
The website for the World Youth is saying that 1,050 players from 78 federations are already registered. This will be the first time it has gone over 1,000 juniors. I hope we get decent accommodation - they promised to let me know our hotel this week, but I am still waiting. Unlike in previous years the competitors are spread over a number of different hotels - some in Belfort and some in the surrounding areas. So I am pretty nervous as to what the team has been allocated - don't really want to spend hours on a bus each day! :wall:

Garvinator
03-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Thanks to Candy Cane for this article, from her.

Garvinator
03-07-2005, 04:25 AM
The website for the World Youth is saying that 1,050 players from 78 federations are already registered. This will be the first time it has gone over 1,000 juniors. I hope we get decent accommodation - they promised to let me know our hotel this week, but I am still waiting. Unlike in previous years the competitors are spread over a number of different hotels - some in Belfort and some in the surrounding areas. So I am pretty nervous as to what the team has been allocated - don't really want to spend hours on a bus each day! :wall:
you were lucky, only half hour train ride from mulhouse :doh: but what happens if train breaks down?

frogmogdog
03-07-2005, 03:13 PM
if anyone wants to follow his progress, moulthun will be playing in this tournament before the champs --

http://www.openoberwart.at/

he is still improving quickly and i think is over 2300 strength now so should do well.

Oepty
03-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Aaron Guthrie is also listed as playing in the tournament.
Scott

Candy-Cane
03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks to Candy Cane for this article, from her.

what I never said you could post this image!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Candy-Cane
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
take it down!!!

eclectic
03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
i was too busy trying to sound au francais in the shoutbox to notice anyway ...

eclectic

Bereaved
04-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Eclectic,
It was a local newspaper article of Candy cane going to the world Junior ( with photo..)

Taken down now anyway,

take care, God Bless,
Macavity

eclectic
04-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Eclectic,
It was a local newspaper article of Candy cane going to the world Junior ( with photo..)

Taken down now anyway,

take care, God Bless,
Macavity

never mind ...

c'est la vie

:whistle:

;)

eclectic

jenni
06-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Ok Guys - I am in Copenhagen and didn't copy my address book onto my laptop, so am unable to send out an e-mail to world youth people.

If anyone reading this is in contact with someone going to Belfort, could you please pass on this info.

The Australian team are now back in the Atria Hotel in Belfort. This is thanks to Manuel Weeks who personally visited Belfort twice and managed to resurrect our rooms. It has been a very stressful week and I never want to organise the team again, but at least we now have good conditions.

The change in hotels was not the fault of the French organisers - they were let down by the hotel, but the hotel has now agreed to make the rooms available after initially withdrawing them for renovations.

Team members must still go first to the Ice Rink for registration.

Bereaved
06-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Well done Libby!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe someone at the site can contact Paul Broekhuyse?

I'll copy your post and email it to him anyway,

Great work again,

All the Best, God Bless
Macavity

Garvinator
06-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Well done Libby!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Maybe someone at the site can contact Paul Broekhuyse?

I'll copy your post and email it to him anyway,

Great work again,

All the Best, God Bless
Macavity
why are you congratulating Libby when its Jenni who made the post? :eek:

Bereaved
06-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Dear Jenni, I meant no harm or disrespect, and can only plead that in my haste to respond and to resend the data, I didn't pay enough attention to some very important details ( gulp, looks sheepish) but can report it as having been forwarded on in it's entirety via two mediums,,

My apologies again,

take care, God Bless,
Macavity

and to reiterate for all,
Well done Jenni :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :

as I think you have hit a purple patch :clap: :clap: ; good luck to all the team, Macavity

pax
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Interesting. The official website (http://www.belfort-echecs.com/) lists the young Vietnamese GM Ngoc Truongson Nguyen as playing in the under 14 division. Yet the FIDE website says he turned 15 in February. I assume this is an error and will be corrected (there would be howls of protest otherwise)..

jenni
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Dear Jenni, I meant no harm or disrespect, and can only plead that in my haste to respond and to resend the data, I didn't pay enough attention to some very important details ( gulp, looks sheepish) but can report it as having been forwarded on in it's entirety via two mediums,,

My apologies again,

That's OK :) Libby and I are used to being interchangeable.

Actually thanks should go to Manuel, who visited Belfort twice on our behalf.

He said initially he wondered why I was getting hysterical - surely it didn't matter if the team was in the Atria Hotel or the Mulhouse Hotel. However when he went there and spent 1/2 hour on the freeway between the towns, he realised the extent of the problem.

Thanks to everyone who has passed on the info and also to Libby, as I now have an almost correct distribution list on my webmail,

eclectic
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Interesting. The official website (http://www.belfort-echecs.com/) lists the young Vietnamese GM Ngoc Truongson Nguyen as playing in the under 14 division. Yet the FIDE website says he turned 15 in February. I assume this is an error and will be corrected (there would be howls of protest otherwise)..

are you sure the age groups are not being based on the person's age on january 1 2005 NOT july 1 2005 ?

for example CandyCane is listed as U16 not U18 and she turned 16 on June 2.

eclectic

frogmogdog
06-07-2005, 10:05 PM
are you sure the age groups are not being based on the person's age on january 1 2005 NOT july 1 2005 ?

if he's 15 in feb then he'll have been 14, not u14, on jan 1 (unless he skipped a year, which occasionally happens to me.)

antichrist
07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
take it down!!!

I rememeber this shot, her photo was okay, but if you looked closely at the board you would notice she wrecked the opening.

eclectic
09-07-2005, 04:03 PM
so how do the australian squad logistics for this youth championships work?

are they all already in france locked in training sessions before the championships,

or at an interim camp in australia, then going on to france?

eclectic

Jason Hu
09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Watch out! Molton has left for france!

jenni
14-07-2005, 02:54 AM
so how do the australian squad logistics for this youth championships work?

are they all already in france locked in training sessions before the championships,

or at an interim camp in australia, then going on to france?

eclectic
I wish.....

A few years ago I used to sponsor a training week for the kids going overseas. We had Ian, Darryl and usually a 3rd e.g. Manuel or Laszlo Hazai. It was 5 days of training in small groups and Darryl used to give an ethics and good manners talk and there was the opportunity for parents to meet each other as well. This all helped with team bonding. Unfortunately with the downturn in IT, I haven't had the ability to continue with that. To a certain extent the Ergas squad has grown from that, although not all the kids going overseas are in the Ergas squad.

Basically in order to do the things that you suggest (and many countries do have training camps before the world youth), we need money.

Because it is pretty expensive to go overseas, parents and kids tend to tie a holiday one side or the other of the event. Thus most people travel independently to the world Youth. Moulthun Ly is playing a tournament in Austria and Zhigen Lin one in Dubai. The 4 Olivers and Gary Lane will be the advance party and arrive in Belfort on the 16th. (Olivers are currently in Oslo having just travelled back from Bergen - stupendous country side here - so much water and eveything so green and banks of wild flowers). The rest of the team arrive on the 18th into Belfort. There are 5 coaches (3 team and 2 private), involved and kids are allocated to the coach of their choice. If everyone wanted the same coach, I would have to allocate on suitability or strength. However that has never happened - kids almost always get their first choice.

Each kid gets some preparation/coaching each morning and then analysis after the game. Often the older kids will work with each other as well. There is some free time when the kids can socialise. There is usually a great team spirit, with everyone supporting each other when someone is feeling down.

It can be very confronting when kids who are used to doing well in Australia come over and maybe lose 5 in a row,

Libby
14-07-2005, 07:59 AM
I rememeber this shot, her photo was okay, but if you looked closely at the board you would notice she wrecked the opening.

Some helpful journalist probably set it up for her - they have a habit of doing that or hideously misquoting you ...

Candy-Cane
16-07-2005, 05:14 AM

Wreaked the opening? As for a matter of fact it wasnt even a real game just there for the photo and it was set up no pieces moved. I gather your talking about the numbers even though the board is still set up correctly (not that I set up the board). And it was taken so I could try and get some sponsorship surpising it got on the cover of the local paper.

Ness.

Candy-Cane
16-07-2005, 05:15 AM

for example CandyCane is listed as U16 not U18 and she turned 16 on June 2.

eclectic

yes I can play u16 however I was picked for the u18 so therefore I must play up.

antichrist
16-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I was being my usual mischievous

Kerry Stead
16-07-2005, 11:44 AM
therefore I must play up.
Vaness, you don't HAVE to cause trouble!
The mail didn't exactly help allay these concerns ...
All the best for when you actually get around to playing chess!

Oepty
16-07-2005, 02:22 PM
if anyone wants to follow his progress, moulthun will be playing in this tournament before the champs --

http://www.openoberwart.at/

he is still improving quickly and i think is over 2300 strength now so should do well.

Moulthun Ly is on 4/7 and Aaron Guthrie is on 4.5/7.
Guthrie has beaten IM Mikhail Klenburg rating 2400 and drawn with IM Dr Manfred Glienke rating 2318. Ly's best results seem to be defeating FM Dietmar Hiermann rating 2263.
I will put Guthrie's win against Klenburg in the games section.
Scott

frogmogdog
16-07-2005, 08:51 PM
maybe moulthun is keeping his powder dry for next week. :)

guthrie's doing well, would 6.5/9 be enough for an IM norm?

frogmogdog
18-07-2005, 10:55 AM
looks like they both finished on 5.5/9.

http://www.openoberwart.at/endstand05a.shtml

my dodgy rating calculator says moulthun performed at 2262 and i think mangafranga's PR would be higher, so they both played well.

good luck at the world's, everyone!

eclectic
19-07-2005, 12:23 PM
It defaults to a /cobalt subdirectory.

Not enough bandwidth?

ISP fees not paid?

Surely not with an event such as this!!

:evil:

eclectic

Libby
20-07-2005, 10:19 AM
The website still seems to be out of action?

I'm hopeless with international times etc but have the kids started yet? First game was on 19/7 so I thought we might have some results?

Tried a few other sites for info or links but it doesn't seem to be working from anywhere?

ChessMum
20-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi Libby

Allan rang this morning. The organisation is a total schmozzle. The first round commenced about 3 hours late - about 2.00 am our time (France is 8 hours behind).

As the website is still down, I assume we will have to wait for updates from Jenny.

Cheers

Deborah

Libby
20-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi Libby

Allan rang this morning. The organisation is a total schmozzle. The first round commenced about 3 hours late - about 2.00 am our time (France is 8 hours behind).

As the website is still down, I assume we will have to wait for updates from Jenny.

Cheers

Deborah

Don't despair totally. First days are always a bit testing (I have heard some horror stories from Jenni and Michael wasn't overwhelmed with confidence in Helkidiki a couple of years ago).

However the disappearing website is a pain :mad:

Garvinator
20-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Don't despair totally. First days are always a bit testing (I have heard some horror stories from Jenni and Michael wasn't overwhelmed with confidence in Helkidiki a couple of years ago).

However the disappearing website is a pain :mad:
see Libby, poor chess organisation is not just restricted to Australia ;) :eek: :whistle:

Libby
20-07-2005, 01:00 PM
see Libby, poor chess organisation is not just restricted to Australia ;) :eek: :whistle:

So let's do something about it, rather than say it's OK because everyone else is crap too.

No point worrying about status, sponsorship, media coverage, recognition as a sport, participation rates etc etc etc until that's the attitude from the ground up.

Libby
20-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Website is still in the crapper :wall: Does anyone have any results?

We've got a whole swag of ACT kids there and I've already previewed that in a Media Release but I was hoping to prod the papers again as soon as we have a couple on the winner's board.

arosar
20-07-2005, 04:58 PM
If my contacts pull through, I might have a coupla exclusives. Courtesy of The Closet GM!

AR

angel
20-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Libby - mum said she'd post something at some point in the day their time. but shes sent me the results, so here u r

U18: Peter 0, Chris 0, Gareth 1, Vince 1, Vaness 0
U16: James C 0, James O 0, Heather 0.5, Miona 0
U14: Edwin 1, Derek 1 (bye), Moulthen 1, Junta 0.5, Tamzin 0
U12: Justin 0, Zhigen 1, Molly 0, Sally 0, Luthien 1
U10: Yi 0, Jake 0, Emma 0

Well hopefully all this is right, very sorry if its not.

jenni
20-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Almost correct Peter Jovanovic had visa problems so missed the first round, so he was not a loss.

OK what can I say - lets do some word associations to describe the situation here.

Chaos
Anarchy
Faulty Towers (not our hotel, but many others)
Inspector Cloiseau

Hopefully it is day 2 and things will get better. I went to the technical meeting yesterday with Darryl and Manuel. I have gone to many of them over teh years - I have never before seen anyone (the Welsh head of delegation), stand up and almost cry and ask for a boycott of the opening ceremony as a protest and be met with thunderous applause.

The technical meeting (which is supposed to discuss chess started off with a tirade from M Touze blaming the delegations for the problems - too many parents came - they were expecting 950 children not all these extras! and the delegations didn,t travel together - how were they supposed to cope with this and no-one except Australia has done all their photos (Well no-one was telling anyone to do it - I overheard an american say they had had their photo taken so I went and found the photo place and rounded everyone up and got the photos done, but no-one told us to do it.)

In spite of being told we would hqve multiple buses, so thqt the younger kids could get home after their game and go to sleep their is only one bus a night at 9:15. When I asked for a second bus for the little ones; I was told teh Australians were trouble makers. However that was early in teh day - I now think they think we are at teh good end.

Manuel has a car and is ferrying people home 4 at a time. We finally managed to get a bus home and got home at midnight last night.

You have to race around the buses and negotiate with a bus driver to take you. Julie was doing this and the Welsh guy butted in and ordered the bus driver to take them - when Julie gently indicated she was talking first he told her to piss off;

We,ve also had a Russian Push Jak off a seat - fortunately Jake, Mum didn,t see

On the whole we are fine - we have good conditions - hotel is good rooms are great and we are not far from, the venue: The organisers told everone at teh meeting that the reason we had a good hotel, was that we were the first or second to book and pay :) A lot of people are very unhappy and angry:

The first round did start late, but notas late as crete and I think it should be good today - first round is always difficult: Opening cermony is fun: Moulthun carried the flag, because he is Aus Junior Champion and I asked Manuel to accompany him as a thank-you for all he has done for the team. Hae a lovely photo of them that I will try and put up - might be when I get back.

The worst part is we have to go to teh venue at 12:45 and don,t get back to our hotel until 10 pm or later (and have to fight tooth and nail for a bus).

Coming ho,e last night some-one made the comment that you couldn,t create this much chaos if you deliberately tried.

I am not going to rate this tournament yet - defintely worse than Greece, but ot sure about Spain yet. The people are very nice here:

Must go

Garvinator
20-07-2005, 07:39 PM
I think part of the problem with on going problems like this ie it keeps happening from world youth to world youth is that the organisers and head honchos know that the tournament will still go ahead and the players will play.

Sometimes a stand needs to be taken and the players, administrators etc of all the teams should refuse to play and stick to their guns until things are done well.

Libby
20-07-2005, 07:49 PM
I think part of the problem with on going problems like this ie it keeps happening from world youth to world youth is that the organisers and head honchos know that the tournament will still go ahead and the players will play.

Sometimes a stand needs to be taken and the players, administrators etc of all the teams should refuse to play and stick to their guns until things are done well.

:hmm:

arosar
20-07-2005, 08:03 PM
:hmm:

Oh let's not go there again!

AR

Chess Dad
20-07-2005, 08:06 PM
But were you expecting it to be any better, perhaps it is revenge for us beating them in the Rugby.

Good Luck today to the team.

I thought it was a bit late this morning [Aust], (last night/early morning) [France] that James let me know his result by sms.

Whilst you are at it Jenni, why don't you ask about their website?

Chess Dad
20-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm hopeless with international times etc but have the kids started yet? First game was on 19/7 so I thought we might have some results?

Hi Libby,

Try this convienient website:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_FR.aspx

:D

Libby
20-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh let's not go there again!

AR

C'mon, I was being (relatively) good :cool:

ggardiner
20-07-2005, 10:53 PM
World Juniors webpage

http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Default.aspx?lg=en

Libby
21-07-2005, 08:18 AM
World Juniors webpage

http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Default.aspx?lg=en

Thanks Graeme, that one works.

And Vaness is in the Girls Under 16 after all? We don't have a girl in the u18?

PS Congrats to some fast starters in Luthien, Moulthen & Junta (and anyone I forgot).

jenni
21-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Yesterday flowed much better - the actual tournament is being very well run and the arbiters are good.

We had fun with the bus last night. I had checked with the organisers and been told 10B was our bus leaving at 9:15. Everyone was finished by about 8 and my enthusiastic parents decided to go and hunt for our bus. Bonnie Wu came back and said she had found it and everyone who had finshed dinner rushed off to hold places. Jenny Cronan had made an Australian Bus sign, the bus driver was pro Australia and Bonnie,s husband sttod at teh door refusing entry to any non Australian (there was no way teh Russians were goign to beat us this time!)

I arrived at 20 past 8 we only had 4 more people to go and we were ready to set off. Unfortunately one of teh organisers arrived, tore up both bus signs (us and theirs) and said it was not our bus. It turned out that although their sign said 10B it als said 10. Apparently the bus was first a 10 bus and took people somewhere in the sticks then cme back to the venue, became a 10b bus and became ours. So we were evicted and told to wait until 9:15. We ended up walking home instead - very pleasant and social walk. Took about 40 minutes.

All are well and working hard. Peter has arrived and drew in the second round with the boy Gareth beat. Peter said he wasn,t sure why the boy accepted his draw and we told him that he had turned down Gareth,s draw and then lost, so he probably wasnt in the mood to take any more chances against Australians!

The French stuffed up Vaness category and it is better for her to play the under 16, so we left her there.

Dinner was good last night - I had 4 varieties of potatoe. Others managed to get some meat; but not me!

WhiteElephant
21-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Moulthun up to board 7. Another win would be nice :)

jenni
22-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Scores after 3 rounds

Open under 18

Gareth 2
Vincent 1
Peter .5

(both Peter and Vince suffering the NF effect)

Open under 16

James O 1
James C 1
Chris Wallis .5

Girls Under 16

Vaness (Candy-Cane) 2
Heather Huddleston 1.5
Miona Ikeda 0

Miona is loving every game and has become motivated to continue with chess when she gets back to Australia

Open Under 14

Moulthun 2.5
Junta 1.5
Edwin 1
Dereck 1

Girls Under 14

Tamzin 1.5

Open Under 12

Zhigen 2
Justin 1

Girls Under 12

Luthien 2
Molly MGarity 1.5
Sally Yu .5

Open under 10

Yi Yuan 1
Jake McCook 1

Girls under 10

Emma Guo 1.5

Daily % a bit less than usual - we have 12 out of 22 playing for first time; so a bit of an inexperiened team.

Day 1 - 38% day 2 50% day 3 38%

Quite a lot of security and bag searching (and really cute guard dogs)! When a local boy rode his bike up to the door of the restaurant area the guard and the dog attacked him - it was a bit scary to see them taking it so seriously:

We still don,t have any registration tags - would be nice to have them, but realistially there are too many people to enforce them anyway.

So far we have 10 people on 50% or better, with Moulthun the best performer with a +2 score. He has a very hard one today. Tomorrow is a doubled up day, so no time to internet.

Garvinator
22-07-2005, 09:46 PM
what is the nf effect?

also double days, your fav hey Jenni ;) :eek:

Libby
23-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Official site is up again http://www.belfort-echecs.com/?lang=en

After 4 rounds everyone is on the board -

U10 B
Yi Yuan 2/4
Jake McCook 1/4

U12B
Zhigen 2/4
Justin .5/4

U14B :clap: :clap:
Moulthun 3.5/4
Junta 2.5/4
Edwin 2/4
Derek 1/4

U16B
James c 2/4
James O 1/4
Chris .5/4

U18B
Gareth 2/4
Peter 1.5/4
Vincent 1/4

U10G
Emma 1.5/4

U12G
Molly 2.5/4
Luthien 2/4
Sally 1.5/4

U14G
Tamzin 1.5/4

U16G
Vaness 2.5/4
Heather 2/4
Miona .5/4

And here http://www.echecs.asso.fr/(0eywmfvstqtovava3mskh5r1)/Resultat2.aspx?URL=Tournois/2005/Belfort/BelfortEquipes&Action=Cl is where we rank as a national team (by top 10 results)

BFG
24-07-2005, 07:42 AM
After 6 rounds (double header last night) -

U10 B
Yi Yuan 3/6
Jake McCook 1/6

U12B
Zhigen 4/6
Justin 1.5/6

U14B
Moulthun 3.5/6
Junta 2.5/6
Edwin 2/6
Derek 2/6

U16B
James O 3/6
Chris 2.5/6
James c 2/6

U18B
Gareth 3/6
Vincent 3/6
Peter 2/6

U10G
Emma 3.5/6

U12G
Molly 2.5/6
Luthien 2.5/6
Sally 2.5/6

U14G
Tamzin 2.5/6

U16G
Heather 3.5/6
Vaness 2.5/6
Miona 1.5/6

pax
25-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Ha.

Banner on the official website:

"Please excuse us for the nuisances caused by the non availability of this website. This was due to the huge number of visitors as well as some technical problems from our internet access supplier."

Sounds like this is typical of the prevailing attitude. "It's not *our* fault, it's *your* fault. How were we to know that a major international chess event might attract many thousands of visitors to the official website??"..

Alan Shore
25-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Ha.

"Please excuse us for the nuisances caused by the non availability of this website. This was due to the huge number of visitors as well as some technical problems from our internet access supplier."

Sounds like this is typical of the prevailing attitude. "It's not *our* fault, it's *your* fault. How were we to know that a major international chess event might attract many thousands of visitors to the official website??"..

Would you expect anything less from the French? ;)

Garvinator
25-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Ha.

Sounds like this is typical of the prevailing attitude. "It's not *our* fault, it's *your* fault.
wasnt this excuse peddled out recently from a chess event in melbourne :whistle: ;)

Bereaved
25-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Would you expect anything less from the French? ;)

Hi Belthasar, according to Kevin's favourite author, John Watson, it should give us at least a slight advantage!! :owned:

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Bereaved
25-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Yes that was the line being pedalled; unfortunately it is incredibly hard to sell a bicycle which is missing one wheel, has a flat tyre on the other, and is in no sign of receiving any form of repairs...Scarcely what one would want when touring France??!! :owned:

Take care, and God Bless, Macavity

Alan Shore
25-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Hi Belthasar, according to Kevin's favourite author, John Watson, it should give us at least a slight advantage!! :owned:

Haha yes... I always personally play exchange French - they don't know how to barter well, and I Kramnikise the end-game ;)

Bereaved
25-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Hi Belthasar,

The exchange French is remarkably similiar to the Petroff after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.d4 d5 although it appears that Black has almost one a tempo there.

In one of the Dvoretsky books, Opening Preparation, there is an article called "You were right, Monsieur la Bourdonnais" where they discussed the line 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 e5 4.Bxc4 exd4 5.exd4 with context to the concept of IQP positions where, it was the c-pawn retained, rather than the e-pawn for black, and that for a long time the assessments had a lot of weight in their verdict based on matches between M. La Bourdonnais and McDonnell.

However in the 1950's, when the Petroff was exceptionally popular and widely played, positions involving this structure arose after white played a c2- c4xd5 and Black recaptured with a piece. The thing was that although considered equal when the variation started to be played widely, it was soon decided that the variation was in fact giving a large plus to white. As such, the opinions of people about this form of Queen's Gambit Accepted were changed, and hence the chapters title, as for a long time La Bourdonnais was condemned for his choice of opening moves.

It is funny in a perverse way that double king pawn opening confirmed the validity of a double queen pawn opening though, don't you think??

PS hope this is of some interest

Alan Shore
25-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Belthasar,

The exchange French is remarkably similiar to the Petroff after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.Nxe5 d6 4.Nf3 Nxe4 5.d4 d5 although it appears that Black has almost one a tempo there.

In one of the Dvoretsky books, Opening Preparation, there is an article called "You were right, Monsieur la Bourdonnais" where they discussed the line 1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 e5 4.Bxc4 exd4 5.exd4 with context to the concept of IQP positions where, it was the c-pawn retained, rather than the e-pawn for black, and that for a long time the assessments had a lot of weight in their verdict based on matches between M. La Bourdonnais and McDonnell.

However in the 1950's, when the Petroff was exceptionally popular and widely played, positions involving this structure arose after white played a c2- c4xd5 and Black recaptured with a piece. The thing was that although considered equal when the variation started to be played widely, it was soon decided that the variation was in fact giving a large plus to white. As such, the opinions of people about this form of Queen's Gambit Accepted were changed, and hence the chapters title, as for a long time La Bourdonnais was condemned for his choice of opening moves.

It is funny in a perverse way that double king pawn opening confirmed the validity of a double queen pawn opening though, don't you think??

PS hope this is of some interest

That is interesting... I've very rarely played a Petroff.. I have my own system against it. However, I guess it's irrelevant for me as I retired from chess, haven't played since March (not even online) when I won that Canberra tourn.

jenni
25-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Would you expect anything less from the French? ;)All the way through the French have refused to take any responsibility for problems. It is always the delegations fault - i.e too many parents came or the delegations didn`t travel together or the bus driver is an idiot.

We had major problems on the doubled up day with our bus taking off early without us. I almost hit a russian woman who tried to take Manuel's car! He was ferrying kids to the venue and I think she thought it was a taxi and tried to grab it off us. I tried to explain it was a private car but she wouldn't listen. I was pretty stressed at this point so i just yelled at her and told her to go away and loaded some kids in the car. Manuel said he was just sitting in the car praying I wouldn't hit her, which I think I would have if she hadn't stopped trying to push her child in the back seat. After 4 increasingly hysterical phone calls to the organisers, they finally sent a bus and delayed the round by 15 minutes to give us time to get there. When I left the venue this morning, (another doubled up day) the Americans were just walking in - they told me their bus hadn't arrived today.

Yes I do hate doubled up days - we had a number of double losses and it is very hard to do prep and hard for kids to recover from a long round or a sad loss.

When the Australian Championships or the Olympiad starts having doubled rounds I will accept it is OK:

Libby
26-07-2005, 04:28 PM
After 8 rounds (and the "official" site is useless again!)) -

U10 B
Yi Yuan 4.5/8
Jake McCook 2/8

U12B
Zhigen 4.5/8
Justin 2/8

U14B
Moulthun 5/8
Junta 4/8
Edwin 3/8
Derek 3.5/8

U16B
James O 3.5/8
Chris 3.5/8
James C 2/8

U18B
Gareth 3.5/8
Vincent 3.5/8
Peter 3.5/8

U10G
Emma 4.5/8

U12G
Molly 3/8
Luthien 3.5/8
Sally 4/8

U14G
Tamzin 3.5/8

U16G
Heather 5/8
Vaness 3.5/8
Miona 2.5/8

jenni
26-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Thank goodness the doubled up days are finished! Everyone is a bit tired, but looking forward to one game a day. Round 7 was our best round so far, hitting 60%.

Our best performers are Moulthun and Heather, closely followed by Emma, Zhigen, Junta and Yi. Sally Yu has also caught up. Our 3 boys in the fiendishly hard under 18 are doing well. Gareth' performance rating has dropped from 2300 to 2250, but still good compared to his current rating. (Gareth specialises in always being under rated :) )

I was invited to go to a special dinner with Karpov. However it involved staying over night somewhere 100km away so I declined - I had to make an instantaneous decision, as only a few delegates were being invited and the invitation passed to another delegation. I just didn't feel I could leave the team over night. Manuel almost cried.....

Libby
27-07-2005, 07:42 AM
After 9 rounds :) :clap: :)

U10 B
Yi Yuan 4.5/9
Jake McCook 2/9

U12B
Zhigen 4.5/9
Justin 2.5/9

U14B
Moulthun 6/9
Junta 5/9
Edwin 3.5/9
Derek 3.5/9

U16B
James O 4.5/9
Chris 4/9
James C 3/9

U18B
Gareth 3.5/9
Vincent 3.5/9
Peter 3.5/9

U10G
Emma 5.5/9

U12G
Molly 4/9
Luthien 3.5/9
Sally 4/9

U14G
Tamzin 4/9

U16G
Heather 5.5/9
Vaness 3.5/9
Miona 2.5/9

peter_parr
27-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Thank goodness the doubled up days are finished! Everyone is a bit tired, but looking forward to one game a day. Round 7 was our best round so far, hitting 60%.

Our best performers are Moulthun and Heather, closely followed by Emma, Zhigen, Junta and Yi. Sally Yu has also caught up. Our 3 boys in the fiendishly hard under 18 are doing well. Gareth' performance rating has dropped from 2300 to 2250, but still good compared to his current rating. (Gareth specialises in always being under rated :) )

I was invited to go to a special dinner with Karpov. However it involved staying over night somewhere 100km away so I declined - I had to make an instantaneous decision, as only a few delegates were being invited and the invitation passed to another delegation. I just didn't feel I could leave the team over night. Manuel almost cried.....

Thank you for your regular updates of the scores of Australia’s 22 representatives in Belfort.

The Belfort web site often has problems so your reports are very helpful.

Best of luck to all the players in their vital last round games.

The progress scores of each of the 22 players after round 6 appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday.
http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl279h/news/news.htm

The final scores will be printed next Monday

Regards
Peter Parr

jenni
27-07-2005, 07:21 PM
I will try and get to an internet cafe after the last round tomorrow to post final results. Hard games for Moulthun, Heather and Junta today. Unfortunately Peter and Gareth play today.

Libby
28-07-2005, 07:28 AM
After 10 rounds

U10 B
Yi Yuan 5.5/10
Jake McCook 3/10

U12B
Zhigen 4.5/10
Justin 2.5/10

U14B
Moulthun 6/10
Junta 5.5/10
Edwin 3.5/10
Derek 3.5/10

U16B
James O 5.5/10
Chris 4.5/10
James C 4/10

U18B
Gareth 4/10
Vincent 4.5/10
Peter 4/10
Gareth & Peter drew in round 10

U10G
Emma 6.5/10 :clap: :clap: :clap: =12th

U12G
Molly 4/10
Luthien 3.5/10
Sally 4.5/10

U14G
Tamzin 4.5/10

U16G
Heather 5.5/10
Vaness 4/10
Miona 3/10

Libby
28-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Hi Jenni

Good luck for the final day (and night). I hope everyone appreciates the effort you have put in to resolve everything from accommodation, to uniforms, to entries, to buses & various other mishaps. Sometimes people think this all happens by itself.

All the best to everyone - but especially our ACT kids. We have a radio interview lined up for whichever ACT junior finishes highest so tell them to make sure they bring back some interesting (and repeatable) stories!

Libby

angel
28-07-2005, 08:07 PM
So far the results have been
Zhigen 1 -->5.5/11
Luthien 1 -->4.5/11
Sally 1 -->5.5/11
Jake 1 -->4/11
Miona 0.5 -->3.5/11
Derek 0.5 -->4/11
Emma 0.5 -->7/11!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i think this will be your act result libby)

angel
28-07-2005, 08:14 PM
James C 1 -->5/11
Moulthen 1 -->7/11 :)
Chris 0 -->4.5/11
Justin 0 -->2.5/11
Molly 0 -->4/11

Libby
28-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Emma 0.5 -->7/11!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i think this will be your act result libby)

I guessed it would be. Congratulations Emma on a great result :clap:

angel
28-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Gareth 0 -->4/11

angel
28-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Heather 0.5 -->6/11
Junta 1 -->6.5/11
Tamzin 0 -->4.5/11
Peter 0 -->4/11
Yi 0.5 -->6
Edwin 1 -->4.5

angel
28-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Vincent 1 -->5.5/11

angel
28-07-2005, 11:28 PM
James O 0 -->5.5
Vaness 1 --> 5

Garvinator
29-07-2005, 01:02 AM
who is angel?

Libby
29-07-2005, 06:25 AM
who is angel?

A special & well-connected person :cool:

Alan Shore
29-07-2005, 11:43 AM
who is angel?

It's quite obvious who she is if you are an arcade games buff ;)

jenni
30-07-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi Jenni

Good luck for the final day (and night). I hope everyone appreciates the effort you have put in to resolve everything from accommodation, to uniforms, to entries, to buses & various other mishaps. Sometimes people think this all happens by itself.

All the best to everyone - but especially our ACT kids. We have a radio interview lined up for whichever ACT junior finishes highest so tell them to make sure they bring back some interesting (and repeatable) stories!

Libby

I am actualy almost feeling a bit fraudulent and over appreciated! I got a box of chocolates, a soft toy and a whole lot of kisses from Vincent, Peter and David Smerdon. Also a beautiful glass bowl and card from the rest of the team.

It has been probably the most challenging one I have been involved in for a number of reasons.

The last two days were a bit of a nightmare as even the weather turned against us and conditions in the playing hall became extreme. Imagine 35 degrees, no air conditioning (just about) and 1500 people packed in the room.

I also went down with the Smerdon virus, so was feeling very miserable and cranky.

A lot of things were wrong with the tournament and conditions, but I have to say the French were always charming and friendly. Our hotel reception went out of their way to help us on many occasions and the Belfort volunteers were terrific (needed some organisational skills, but always nice).

Looking forward to being home soon.

Gareth was a bit miserable about his final result, but I think his performace rating was still about 150 more than his actual rating. :)

jenni
31-07-2005, 12:00 AM
ps - Next year should be in Russia. I spoke to the Russian Delegate and he said he looked forward to welcoming the Australians, so we haven't burnt our boats totally with the bus wars. :)

Hugh_Brodie
02-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Here is a posting from one of the adults invlolved with the Canadian team at the WYCC (from http://www.chesstalk.com ) (CFC=Chess Federation of Canada; CYCC=Canadian Youth Chess Championships; Ilya=Ilya Bluvshtein - Canadian team coach):

"Hello everyone,
We are finally back home in Vancouver. Would like to write a few things after reading the other posts written so far - mostly by Duncan - about this WYCC experience.

Duncan is right in everything he wrote. I will point a few things he wrote, since I do not believe it is fair for those who went to France with expectations to be questioned by anyone!

1. The Canadian delegation was put in 2 places: hotel Bristol from Mulhouse for a small part and Premiere Classe for the rest. Our small group of 5 people from BC: Botez (2 persons), Gaciu (2 persons) and me could not envision that our Premiere Classe - with several locations in France, Belfort included - would be located on the outskirts of Mulhouse, 30 Km away from Belfort. It is is simply unaccceptable to provide no details beside names of the hotels, or exact location. Was anyone afraid quite a few would have decided not to go to France?...

2. I do not want to start an argument on how the small part of the delegation was chosen to live in Bristol hotel (3 stars). Our group of 5 also paid the more expensive fare, but got Premiere Classe. Premiere Classe is a motel at best, with the price per room of 31 euros; we have pictures and information to prove this. We expect CFC to reimburse the extra money they took from us, in Gaciu's case 2 months in advance!

3. We provided all necessary information - including electronic pictures - in time; that means before the deadline given by Mr Touze which was May 18th. The organizers listed Canada under the federations paying after the deadline. One proof their claim was valid is the fact Ilya had to pay on-site a small final portion to settle the invoice. Also the Canadian partially paid invoice was dated July 4th. Is there any reasons why CFC paid the dues so late, forcing the organizers to give us whatever motels were left available?

4. The man in charge with hotels and transportation on behalf of the organizers - his name escapes to me now, but can get in touch with him rather easily if necessary - told us he repeatedly told (by phone) our CFC he cannot provide space for our delegation as requested, asking to arrange alternate arrangements. According to him CFC continued to turn a deaf ear and send the same fax request over and over again. Could we get some answers to why this was happening?

5a. We were lucky not to arrange our flights with CFC. Our reason is simply financial - charter flights Vancouver / London were simply the cheapest - or we would have ended up in the same mess as the other families staying with us at Premiere Classe. Here are some of their names: Gusev (father and son), Szalay Karoly and his mom, Larocque family (father, mother and daughter), Orlova family (father, mother and daughter), as well as a few others. It is not possible to leave people waiting for information on their flights (such as departure ones). Most of them got their information one day before we left, with no indication which Paris airport their flight leaves.

5b. For those tempted to question these peoples ability to plan for a trip, would like to mentiona couple of things about the motel Premiere Classe:
- it had no phones in rooms
- the only phone available was at the reception and this area of the motel was closed after 10 p.m.
- we could call using a pay phone
- with an on the spot idea of Andrei Botez - keep his mother's cell phone with a French number with us - all of us at Premiere Classe could be reached by our families

6. Transportation was exactly as described by Duncan and Australians on their website. The arrangements for the buses was a total mess. One example is the second night when the New Zeeland delegation shared a bus with our bigger part of the delegation. The problem was there were a few poeple left standing and the bus driver refused to go with people standing. The Kiwi delegate asked Canadians to go to the other bus (going to Bristol). In the process (it was late at night) two Canadian juniors got in the wrong bus and arrived at our motel at 1 a.m. One of them was my room mate!...

7. A comment for Gary who wrote in a message below that it is not such a big deal to travel to a chess site during a tournament. We were in a foreign country, with a setup as follows:
- morning breakfast at the motel (cost of 4 euros per person)
- buses came to pick us up at 12:00, or at 8:00 a.m. during the double games days
- lunch was at the playing site until 14:00
- dinner was again at the playing site until 21:00
- buses took us back to the motel/ hotel at 21:30
Basically we were up, capable to rest nowhere before, or after the game unless we were at our motel/ hotel. During the double games days that meant we were up from 8:00 a.m. until roughly 22:15 p.m. at night. If anyone expects kids and juniors to be able to perform properly with this arrangement, that person/ persons have no clue about what it involves...

8. The motel of 31 euros per room (NOT PER PERSON!) came to a lot of us after the SUPER CLASS organizing of CYCC in Victoria. We did not expect 5 stars hotels - however it is not our fault WYCC was scheduled in the middle of the touristic season - but not the rat hole we had to live in either!

9. Our delegation did its best considering the situations we were forced to face. Ilya did his best most of the times, but there wasn't much he could do. In the last 2 days the organizers had a special place setup for refunds. When Andrei Botez went there together with Ilya, the organizers refused to deal with us. They said we have to solve everything with CFC.

On behalf of our small group of 5, I ask everyone else living in Premiere Classe to write their stories out in the open. Also we would like to politely ask CFC to settle the financial problems since we got over charged. It will be a small step in the right direction after so many screw ups with this WYCC 2005.

Sincerely,
Valer Eugen Demian
Vancouver, BC"

jenni
02-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I had a few chats to the Canadians over there and they weren't happy. I gathered that they felt that that their organiser had done a few things wrong. Staying out at Mulhouse was pretty bad and hard to get good performances for the little kids.

We even found with the older juniors that having to go to the venue at 12:45 and then hang around waiting for the round to start was bad. It cut into coaching time and the boys tended to go and play soccer, which was not the best preparation for a very long game of chess!

However it could have been worse - apparently Belfort bid for the WYCC for 3 years!! Fortunately they have been told they can only have it for one. It is impossible to hold an event like this spread across dozens of hotels. It creates an inequity in conditions for the players. In the end the Aussies had one of the best hotels and obviously I am very grateful for that, but it was unfair for the other delegations. I understand that at least one delegation ended up in a Uni dormitory!

Belfort itself was a charming town, with friendly people and nice restaurants and cafes. The French did lots of nice things - free buses on the rest day to go to other towns. A t-shirt and certificate for each child. Kids got free entry to the swimming pool and to the museums. There was entertainment every day at lunch time.

However nothing was done for the older kids - they really needed a disco on the night before the rest day and on the last night. Just a place where they could all get together and socialise.

The food wasn't great, but I think everything would have been more than good enough, if everyone was accommodated at the same place and at the venue. Not being able to have lunch and then go back to the room was a major pain.

Doubled up days are always bad, but became worse because of any ability to rest after the first game.

jenni
02-08-2005, 10:55 AM
also double days, your fav hey Jenni ;) :eek:

Huh! Went to a press conference that Karpov held where he stated that doubled up days should not exist in top level tournaments. So in future just remember I am aligned with Karpov. :whistle:

antichrist
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
.........The food wasn't great......

I am glad that someone finally said that about the French. Typhical western European tucker is not tasty enough..........

WhiteElephant
02-08-2005, 11:25 AM
I am glad that someone finally said that about the French. Typhical western European tucker is not tasty enough..........

Exactly right. Tiny portions with one piece of meat and one vegetable. Might be gourmet and well presented but not very filling.

arosar
02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Exactly right. Tiny portions with one piece of meat and one vegetable. Might be gourmet and well presented but not very filling.

Yeah...stylised food with stylised prices. As soon as they plonk it down in front of you, it makes you feel like you've finished before you've started.

OTOH, mid-east food is just wayyy too dry.

AR

antichrist
02-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah...stylised food with stylised prices. As soon as they plonk it down in front of you, it makes you feel like you've finished before you've started.

AR

Mid-East tomato paste (rhub) for spaghetti leaves sloppy, tasteless Iti paste for dead.

And Greek tucker far too sloppy, esp their baclava was sickening compared to Lebo., all the youth chess team complained about it. (OTOH?)

But they loved the sloppy halo-halo.

jenni
02-08-2005, 12:59 PM

AR

Had a couple of really good meals away from the venue. However when you are trying to cook for 1800 people and it is all being done in portable kitchens, the quality is not going to be good. The salads were all dripping in mayonnaise or dressing and the only stuff that was fresh was the fruit. Fortunately they had huge quantities of this, so it served as a replacement. The quality of the meat and fish was very bad as well.

I guess everyone has been spoiled after 3 years in Greece, where everything was good quality. The Spanish food wasn't wonderful either, allthough Tina Huddleston and I felt that it was better than France - Tony wasn't convinced of this.

jenni
03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Now that I am a bit more awake and not quite as sick, I would like to add a few thank-yous.

- Manuel Weeks - what on earth would we do without him! He doesn't just go a little bit extra, but puts everything in. I lost track of how many times he ferried kids and parents back and forth and was always around to cheer up players.

- David Smerdon - his first experience as a coach, but he made a pretty good job of it and learned that there are a lot of extras expected of a coach.

- Bonnie Wu (and her husband). Bonnie took over the very onerous job of making sure all players were on the bus before it left (not as easy as it sounds) and that they had their rego tags etc. Bonnie was also always available for any extra duty.

- Tina Huddleston - Tina was also always available to help in whatever capacity required (some of them quite unusual)

- Jenny Cronan and Julie Meeking. These two were my saviours. They were constantly cheerful and even tempered. They were always there for moral support and towards the end when I had become quite ill, bad tempered and snappy, they put things back into proportion.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

arosar
04-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Blog updated. See French Stories.

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

AR

Garvinator
05-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Jenni,

This article has appeared on www.chessbase.com

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2557.

Does it seem accurate to you?

arosar
05-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Chessbase is behind on that one. Mig already broke that news a couple of days ago.

AR

jenni
05-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Jenni,

This article has appeared on www.chessbase.com

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2557.

Does it seem accurate to you?

I spoke to Aviv a few times overseas - he had seriously had enough and I can understand why he wrote what he did.

A lot of the problems were caused by Touze refusing to reply to e-mails that were sent to him in English. As a consequence it was very hard to get information. I gave up trying to get info from him and used to talk to Sylver Tours instead. Much of the info he gave was wrong. e.g. he promised that there would be a number of buses in the evening, enabling our younger kids to get home and not have to wait for the older kids. This wasn't true - it was 1 bus a day only.

I discovered that I terrified the poor girl I was dealing with, by phoning her and talking to her in English. Once I realised this it became easy to get info - I would just add on - "If I don't hear from you within 2 days I will phone you" and I got immediate replies to my questions. However people not prepared to stoop to these tactics would have found it very hard to get a reply from my experience. This is unlike Greece, where I often got a reply to my e-mails in almost real time.

I think the americans were a little silly not to realise that "standard" was 2 star and 2 star in Europe can be very dodgy. Part of the problem with the cost is that the organisers were recouping the cost of the daily transport in what was charged for the room. However delegations resented paying for the transport, as we dind't ask to be in hotels all over the place. An event like this really should only be run at a major resort, where everyone can stay in the same type of accommodation and all a short walk to the tournament hall.

It was plain to me by February that accommodation was going to be a major problem, which is why I did everything in my power to ensure we booked and paid early. Apparently we were the first or second delegation to book and pay, which is why we got good accommodation. We actually paid in early April, whereas many delegations didn't pay until around mid May and many even later than that.

The business about the french not being prepared to pick up or accommodate in advance is right on the nose - it took a lot of negotiation to arrange accommodation in advance. For many years that has been standard - people like to get there a few days early and settle in. Normally you can register early as well and avoid the crush on arrival day. None of this happened in France, which added to the registration problems on the day.

It was also chaos on the day - I assumed that after the team registered they could go to the hotel, but first they had to have dinner and then after that there still wasn't any move to transport people and luggage. The Olivers had been there for a few days and knew what we were doing, so I just gathered everyone together, took them to a public bus and we went to the hotel - goodness knows what time we would have been transported if we had to wait for official transport.

I don't think the food was "bad", but definitely low quality and damn boring. Also not terribly kid friendly. Only good thing was the fruit.

There was a constant stream of kids to the toilet and the queues did build up. Maybe 10 toilets for 1100 children? The last 2 days the temperatures were extreme and everyone was suffering from the heat.

All the way through the French refused to admit there were any organisational problems - it was always someone else who had caused the problem.

However I have to say that I found the volunteers, restaurant and hotel staff outstanding. They were always helpful and always pleasant. :clap:

An observer
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi, all at down under, hope you guys are fully recovered after the ordeal...

I can support Jenni's view that the French organiser required to be pushed significantly to get an answer of any sort. We needed to roll out our President to get any information from the organiser and even then it took at least a few goes.

As for the logistics of transportation, we concluded very early that they have no chance of satisfying reasonably all countries' requirement in the way they are putting up delegates up in a 45-km radius around Belfort and we decided to prepare our own supplementary 7-seater.

Similar to yourselves, our country paid up front very early in the hope to get a resonable allocation. The main fear was the organiser's claim that they want to put the players up in different accommodation to the non-playing delegates so we insisted on a single hotel for all delegates.

We were formally told by the organiser that we have to register to get the badges in order to check into the hotel, otherwise the hotel will not accept us. In hindsight, this was a pack of lies! We could have transported the younger players to the hotel first, during the 7 hours of waiting in rain and lightning, while the team manager registered their names.

On the food, sorry, Jenni, I have a different opinion from your good self as I had personally witnessed the hygiene side of the preparation, and I did not eat any prepared food from that food hall for 11 days!

As for the toilet facility, it was 10 for 1100 players, you are correct - excluding those which went out of action during the 11 days! Also, I had a personal "inspection" of the porta-loos next to the food hall (very close to the food preparation area) and I was very concern in the direction of the flow of the sewage - towards the porta-kitchens!

I 100% agree with you that beside the organiser and most of his team, the locals, in particular, our hotel management had been very friendly and helpful to our team.

What gave Mr Touze the right to attribute the wrong of 30 countries, whom he claimed had not followed the registration rules, to the suffering of the other 50 countries (who had followed the rules correctly) through his inability to cope with it? Well, I hope FIDE will think twice if he is involved in any FIDE tournament bidding again in the future...

Until next year, perhaps.

JohnH
06-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Now that I am a bit more awake and not quite as sick, I would like to add a few thank-yous.:

Hi Jenni,

I realise this is a belated thank you, but would like to make it a public one.

This year, like past ones, you served as Team Manager. I know this comprises a series of varying tasks that range from collecting money from parents and chess bodies, organising uniforms and their distribution and dealing with tournament organisers overseas.

Once at the tournament venue there are always a multitude of problems and issues. You dealt with each issue in turn.

Your work this year Jenni was much appreciated. You effectively performed multi-tasking on a level most of us would not contemplate. You volunteered your time and energy for the good of the Australian Chess. (This extends to Tony as well.)

Thank you

John

Libby
10-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Emma Guo has just been interviewed by local FM Radio (that's the main network FM radio, not a little community station).

The interview will appear as part of the Junior Sports Star segment on their "Ball n All" Saturday sports program.

Ps - for Canberrans - due to air this Saturday, 13/8 between 8-10am

auriga
10-08-2005, 12:48 PM
what station is that?

BFG
10-08-2005, 01:02 PM
what station is that?FM104.7.

auriga
10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
cool.

there is a live link at

http://www.fm1047.com.au/listenlive.asp

so if (?!) i remember i will record the chess interview stream around that time.

Libby
10-08-2005, 06:00 PM
cool.

there is a live link at

http://www.fm1047.com.au/listenlive.asp

so if (?!) i remember i will record the chess interview stream around that time.

I gather Emma was a little shy (it was pre-recorded) so don't expect too much.

However, it is an example of continuing forays for chess (here anyway) into the mainstream under a sports banner.

arosar
25-08-2005, 08:35 AM
STOP PRESS!

Touze Tossed.

http://closetgrandmaster.blogspot.com/

AR

jenni
25-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Yes I got the gossip a few days ago from Manuel, who had gone to the FIDE meeting. Apparently the complaints that FIDE got about the event were really vicious. Also there have been a whole range of financial issues that FIDE have had with the event - it almost sounds like Mt Buller revisited.

One good thing to come out of all this is that FIDE has set a limit on how far away you can stay from the venue. Also they are going to inspect venues and accommodation to guarantee a certain standard. It is due to be held in Turkey in 2007 and they are promising minimum 4 star hotels.

arosar
25-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Yeah...but the problem with this right is that this star rating could mean anything. It's a problem in the hotel industry.

Fide basically gotta specify exactly what facilities a particular establishment should have. Now I reckon jenni you should be one of the bloody inspectors. You know, a bit of a junket.

AR

jenni
25-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah...but the problem with this right is that this star rating could mean anything. It's a problem in the hotel industry.

Fide basically gotta specify exactly what facilities a particular establishment should have. Now I reckon jenni you should be one of the bloody inspectors. You know, a bit of a junket.

AR

Wouldn't say no - you know how picky I am - I would certainly get good quality. :) Unfortunately I think FIDE has the junkets all sewn up.....

Garvinator
25-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Wouldn't say no - you know how picky I am - I would certainly get good quality. :) Unfortunately I think FIDE has the junkets all sewn up.....
well if you had gone to that dinner with Karpov you could have been in line in the future for junkets aplenty :whistle: :owned:

jenni
25-08-2005, 03:00 PM
well if you had gone to that dinner with Karpov you could have been in line in the future for junkets aplenty :whistle: :owned:

I know - I am still regretting that! However I really didn't feel I could leave teh team overnight....

Kevin Bonham
25-08-2005, 03:36 PM
STOP PRESS!

Touze Tossed.

Ha ha ha. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Actually that's strong for FIDE. They can actually put the boot in sometimes.

Were we one of the twelve federations that complained?

jenni
25-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Ha ha ha. Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Actually that's strong for FIDE. They can actually put the boot in sometimes.

Were we one of the twelve federations that complained?

From what I heard FIDE were not getting the money they normally did, which was the final straw for them. They make a huge amount of money normally out of the World Youth. That is why they are taking a real interest in what happens in the future, as they want it to remain one of their high profile tournaments.

We did not lodge an official complaint with FIDE, as we actually ended up with OK conditions. In fact I was so relieved at the good hotel we ended up with that I bought Jose, who was organising the accommodation, a bottle of wine and some chocolates when I got there!

I did however sign a petition that was being circulated by the Welsh Delegate that he planned to send to FIDE. A large number of delegates had aready signed the petition at the point that I did.

FIDE also made a bit of a hash of things, because apparently they gave Touze the right to hold this, without realiasing that the French Federation wasn't backing him. So effectively they handed over the right to a major junior world championships to a little local french club in Belfort.....

Oepty
25-08-2005, 06:33 PM
In the FIDE press release they say they will be passing complaints onto the FIDE Ethics Commission. The members of which are listed on the FIDE website. They are Mr William Kelleher, Mr Nigel Freeman, Mr Hassan Moshen, Mr Dirk De Ridder and coming from Kingswood, South Australia, former ACF President, Chief Organiser of the Mt Buller Australia Open etc, Mr George Howard.
I believe George got this position when he was trying to get the 2008 Chess Olympiad to Adelaide.

Libby
25-08-2005, 07:20 PM
and coming from Kingswood, South Australia, former ACF President, Chief Organiser of the Mt Buller Australia Open etc, Mr George Howard.
At least he will be able to offer something from personal experience ... :whistle:

jenni
25-08-2005, 07:34 PM
At least he will be able to offer something from personal experience ... :whistle:
Nah - he just won't read the e-mail...

Libby
25-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Nah - he just won't read the e-mail...
It might be OK as long as it isn't from me ... and you ... and ....

Garvinator
26-08-2005, 01:30 AM
It might be OK as long as it isn't from me ... and you ... and ....
i just hope they dont mention anything about cd's :whistle:

arosar
28-08-2005, 12:40 AM
It seems that this is not over. See blog.

AR

Frank Walker
28-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Many tournaments nowadays are very badly organised.

Garvinator
28-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Many tournaments nowadays are very badly organised.
not so sure about this, could just be that because of the internet we are more aware of shoddy run tournaments :(

arosar
02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey jenni...did you see that little mention of you I made in my blog? I was gonna call you a birkenstocked baby-boomer with cash to burn who expect nothing less than a 3-star Michelin restaurant, but I thought, better not - she might get all upset again. You know what you're like.

AR

jenni
02-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Hey jenni...did you see that little mention of you I made in my blog? I was gonna call you a birkenstocked baby-boomer with cash to burn who expect nothing less than a 3-star Michelin restaurant, but I thought, better not - she might get all upset again. You know what you're like.

AR
Yes I did see it. Seeing that I have been a lot more tolerant of the food than most of the delegations, you don't really have cause. Anyway I am sure you keep your trolling for the BB, not a respectable publication like your Blog.

Today would not have been a good day to annoy me - I have been irritated by people all day and am in a nasty mood - the kids are tiptoeing around in fear. :)

jenni
06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
I have just found out about a further problem with Belfort.
In December I was trying to see if the dates as advertised on the FIDE website were correct, so that people could take advantage of cheap flights. I sent an e-mail to Touze and received the following reply

"Dear Sir,

I'm very happy to know Australia will be present in Belfort for the YWCC. I confirme the dates : arrival 18th July ant departure 30th July.

Do you have an idea of the number of people coming (qualified and additional players and accompanying people ?

See you later.

JPTouzé "

Of course the dates did change resulting in 2 people not being able to change their flights without financial penalty.

I then had further communication with Touze in February.

"We are assuming 29th July is in fact the correct date and people have reorganised their travel. I still have the problem of the 2 people who have booked to depart Belfort on the 30th July. Their flight is from Mulhouse at 7am on the 30th July. They will need to be at the airport no later than 6am. Will you still be able to transport them? – this is an urgent question, as the family is very stressed about this. Also the girl is a guest player – will she still get free accommodation for the night of the 29th? "

I received the reply

"YES 29th july is correct date.

YES for transportation

NO in principe accomodation for the additional night is not free."

On at least two occasions I checked that they would be transported - remember each person pays 100 euros extra to cover transportation to and from the airport and registration. When the schedules were faxed to our hotel as to when transport would occur, they were on the schedules with the correct pickup time early in the morning of the 30th.

I have received an e-mail today (when I was communicating with the people affected about something else).

"XYZ had the desk at the hotel ring the contact number
the night before and that's when she found out they categorically refused to provide transport. The taxi cost well over 100Euros. XYZ was upset."

So Touze the fool, Touze the incompetent, Touze the liar. Right on FIDE - 5 years is too short, he should never be allowed to organise anything again!

Garvinator
28-03-2007, 12:45 AM
From www.fide.com

FIDE v Touzé

The 2005 World Youth Championship was awarded to France and the organizer Mr Touzé, hosted the Championship in Belfort during July that year.
Based on the large number of serious complaints that FIDE received before, during and after the Championship, it became clear that the organization of the World Youth 2005 did not meet the standards required by FIDE for such a prestigious event.
The FIDE Executive Board (EB) meeting in Dresden 2005 unanimously decided not to award any FIDE event to Mr. Touzé for a period of 5 years because of the mismanagement of the event. It was also decided to refer the matter to FIDE Ethics Commission (EC) for further examination, although the EC recommended no additional measures to be taken.
In March 2006, Mr Touzé, being represented by his lawyer, sent an appeal to the FIDE Ethics Commission seeking its decision to overturn the EB ban to organize FIDE tournaments for the next 5 years.
In September 2006, Mr Touzé brought the case to The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) asking for 100 000 euros as compensation and also for the EB decision to be declared illegal and his rights reinstated.
The FIDE defense was partly procedural and partly material. FIDE argued that the appeal was too late, that a decision taken by EB can be overturned only by the FIDE General Assembly (GA) and that the Ethics Commission is not a general “Appeal Court” within the FIDE system. Therefore the CAS should not make a decision in the case since Mr Touzé so far, has not made an appeal to the GA and that sending his appeal to the EC was clearly to the “wrong address”.
In addition to the procedural issues, FIDE strongly argued that under any circumstances the World Youth 2005 was badly organized and way below the expected level.
In its ruling of 13 March 2006 the CAS decided that the appeal to the CAS is partly admissible in the way that it is not put forward too late according to deadlines for filing to the court.
However, on all remaining procedural issues CAS ruled in favor of FIDE by clearly stating that the Ethics Commission has no jurisdiction to change decisions made by the Executive Board. Since Mr Touzé still has the opportunity to appeal to the FIDE GA, the CAS will not consider the case and all claims from Mr Touzé were rejected.

And the Court of Arbitration for sport decision.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport
Tribunal Arbitral du Sport (TAS)
Lausanne, Switzerland
Case ref. no. TAS 2006/A/1163. Mr Jean-Paul Touzé versus FIDE (the International Chess Federation)

RULING OF THE COURT OF ARBITRATION

The Court of Arbitration for Sport rules that:

I) The appeal submitted by Mr Jean-Paul Touzé is partly admissible as to its form.

II) The Court of Arbitration for Sport finds that the Ethical Committee of the International Chess Federation is not legally competent to rule on this case.

III) The Court of Arbitration for Sport rules that the plaintiff may make an appeal to the next general assembly of the International Chess Federation in 2008 against the decision concerning him made by the Executive Committee in August 2005, within the time limit allowed for an appeal.

IV) The International Chess Federation must pay 80% of the costs of this case, and the plaintiff 20%.

V) Each party must pay its own lawyers’ fees.

VI) All other or fuller submissions are rejected.

Lausanne, Switzerland, 14 March 2007
THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT
President of the Panel
[signed]
Jacques Baumgartner

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2007, 01:57 AM
Why do FIDE have to pay any court costs for this, let alone 80%?

Basil
28-03-2007, 03:00 AM
I don't know.

Kevin, is this a technical question (if so, the answer will be found deeper in the legislation or the ruling itself), or is it a crie de coeur more closely aligned with a general principal you wish to express?

Garrett
28-03-2007, 11:08 AM
crie de coeur

$1 HCD

Denis_Jessop
28-03-2007, 05:51 PM

FIDE, on its website is presenting this as a win for it. I don't think that is the case at all, hence the bulk of the costs being awarded against them.

The CAS decision is rather technical, but what it says is, in effect, that it can't hear the substantantive claim by M. Touze because his appeal to the Ethics Commission, and so its rejection of it, were both improper in that the appeal should have been made to the FIDE General Assembly. The CAS preserved M. Touze's right of appeal to the General Assembly in respect of which the time would otherwise have expired. If he appeals and his appeal is rejected, it will then, as I see it, be within his power to appeal to the CAS from the GA's decision and at the same time make the substantive claims for compensation that the CAS rejected on this occasion. In other words, the CAS did not rule on the merits of the compensation claim.

There is another possible explanation for the costs award, namely, that FIDE made the last mistake in that the Ethics Commission ruled substantively on a matter in which it had no jurisdiction instead of refusing to hear it as it should have done.

DJ