PDA

View Full Version : OzBase - Australian games collection!

News Bot
18-01-2005, 01:01 PM
OzBase is a collection of Australian games compiled by the ACF Archivist Paul Dunn
There are currently over 18,000 games in the database!
You can download the single pgn file in zip format at
<A HREF="http://wwwchessaustraliacomau/db/ozbasezip">ozbasezip</A> (4Mb){br}{br}View the Entire Article (http://www.auschess.org.au/archives/archives.htm){br}

Pauld
20-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Please note that this file is the version of 7 January 2005. Any additional games after that date can be downloaded from the Ozbase website.

:)

arosar
20-01-2005, 12:01 PM
How do we add games to this? I have 2004 NSWCA State Ch games which can be downloaded here: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nswca/04State.htm

Also, should we not make it some sort of an ACF regulation to use double-sided scoresheets for all tournaments (like in NZ)? I think this is most important as games are really an essential record of a chess event.

AR

Rhubarb
20-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Please note that this file is the version of 7 January 2005. Any additional games after that date can be downloaded from the Ozbase website.:)

Hi Paul! May I give my continuous and continuing thanks for this great db that I continually make use of.

Regards,
Greg

Pauld
20-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I'll download the games and add them to Ozbase. Do you know of any previous game collections for the NSW ch. I was given a few games by Paul Dozsa from the 2000 NSW ch, otherwise there is not much about.

many thanks for the contribution.

Pauld
20-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Glad that you make use of it. I know that many people around the world access the games as I get many requests. I have lots more games that I am accessing from old newspapers, but they take a while to research. Some of the old newspapers are hard to find in libraries.

arosar
21-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Do you know of any previous game collections for the NSW ch.

I must have a few somewhere on my computer.

I'll send over.

AR

Garvinator
21-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Glad that you make use of it. I know that many people around the world access the games as I get many requests. I have lots more games that I am accessing from old newspapers, but they take a while to research. Some of the old newspapers are hard to find in libraries.

i might have a few games from a very recent tournament that i have been told that you would like to add to your database ;)

Pauld
23-01-2005, 12:33 AM
All contributions will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

arosar
27-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I was just looking at www.ozbase.com.au and Paxman's http://ozbase.paxmans.net/, and I think I have an idea. Could pax's website be tweaked somehow so that we could directly input our games into it? It strikes me as too difficult a task to collect so many thousands of games from various places. So why not let people in these other places directly input into the database? Of course, I assume that the underlying backend system is sophisticated enough to let that happen.

Make it a truly "social web" effort is what I have in mind.

Cheers,

AR

Ian Rout
27-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I was just looking at www.ozbase.com.au and Paxman's http://ozbase.paxmans.net/, and I think I have an idea. Could pax's website be tweaked somehow so that we could directly input our games into it? It strikes me as too difficult a task to collect so many thousands of games from various places. So why not let people in these other places directly input into the database? Of course, I assume that the underlying backend system is sophisticated enough to let that happen.

Make it a truly "social web" effort is what I have in mind.

Cheers,

ARAn interesting idea - I think a difficulty you would get is that tournament names need to be entered identically to be recognised as the same tournament. Also some players wouldn't want to give away their opening repertoire.

However for games that otherwise wouldn't be collected anyway it could be a possibility.

Denis_Jessop
27-01-2009, 03:29 PM
An interesting idea - I think a difficulty you would get is that tournament names need to be entered identically to be recognised as the same tournament. Also some players wouldn't want to give away their opening repertoire.

However for games that otherwise wouldn't be collected anyway it could be a possibility.

If the idea is to put games directly into ozbase, Paul Dunn would need to be consulted as he maintains ozbase as the ACF Archivist but also as his own project. He may well be happy for this to be done but he should be consulted about it.

DJ

Ian Rout
27-01-2009, 03:38 PM
If the idea is to put games directly into ozbase, Paul Dunn would need to be consulted as he maintains ozbase as the ACF Archivist but also as his own project. He may well be happy for this to be done but he should be consulted about it.

DJ
Yes, there would need to be some sort of control process, probably involving an intermediate repository rather than direct entry.

Denis_Jessop
27-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes, there would need to be some sort of control process, probably involving an intermediate repository rather than direct entry.

Yes; I has something like that in mind. I know that Paul spends an enormous amount of time keying in games from old tournaments as well as recent ones to make as complete an archive as possible so he would pobably welcome something like this.

DJ