PDA

View Full Version : 2005 weekenders

Ian Rout
17-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Does anybody know if there is a single consolidated list of 2005 weekenders anywhere? I was looking for where I might play in 2005 (if I'm allowed to) and couldn't see such a thing - there are several state lists but in addition to each being for only one state they also tend to mix in club/weeknight events with weekenders.

I made up my own list from the state sites, which I can post here if it's of any use to others and doesn't already exist, but I thought there might be a more complete list somewhere else.

Rincewind
17-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't know of one, and I don't know why as it should like a very good idea. Perhaps the GP organiser has a list of events that prescribe to that meta-tournament.

Bill Gletsos
17-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I don't know of one, and I don't know why as it should like a very good idea. Perhaps the GP organiser has a list of events which prescribe to that meta-tournament.
NSW includes the main ACT events in its calendar like Doeberl, Anu Open and the Vikings Weekender.

Ian Rout
17-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Seeing Barry and Bill don't know about a single combined list there probably isn't one, so here's mine to date below. Obvious omissions are WA and some MCC events that I can't see, and I've assumed there will be three Tasmanian events but not sure of the dates of two. Any comments/additions?

Apologies in advance for any data entry errors, and be sure to check state websites before booking flights etc.

I thought it was possible to attach files but I can't see how, possibly the list will be more readable with cut and paste into Word/Excel/Notepad.

From To Days Tournament City State
Sat 22 Jan Sun 23 Jan 2 MCC Australia Day Open Melbourne Vic
Sat 29 Jan Sun 30 Jan 2 NSWCA January Weekender Sydney NSW
Sat 5 Feb Sun 6 Feb 2 Newcastle Open Newcastle NSW
Sat 19 Feb Sun 20 Feb 2 Toukley (U2000) Sydney NSW
Sat 12 Mar Sun 13 Mar 2 Dubbo RSL Open Dubbo NSW
Sat 12 Mar Mon 14 Mar 3 Begonia Open Ballarat Vic
Fri 25 Mar Mon 28 Mar 4 Doeberl Cup Canberra ACT
Sat 30 Apr Sun 1 May 2 Laurieton Open Newcastle NSW
Sat 14 May Sun 15 May 2 NSWCA May Weekender Sydney NSW
Sat 28 May Sun 29 May 2 Mingara May Major (U2100) Central Coast NSW
Sat 11 Jun Mon 13 Jun 3 NSW Open Sydney NSW
Sat 11 Jun Mon 13 Jun 3 Victorian Open Melbourne Vic
Sat 11 Jun Mon 13 Jun 3 ? ? Tas
Sun 12 Jun Mon 13 Jun 2 Queen's Birthday Weekender Adelaide SA
Sat 25 Jun Sun 26 Jun 2 Gold Coast Open Open Gold Coast Qld
Sat 25 Jun Sun 26 Jun 2 Common Man Tournament Wollongong NSW
Sat 2 Jul Sun 3 Jul 2 Caloundra Open Sunshine Coast Qld
Sat 2 Jul Sun 3 Jul 2 Port Macquarie PCYC Port Macquarie NSW
Sun 10 Jul Mon 11 Jul 2 Nell Van De Graaff Classic Gold Coast Qld
Sun 10 Jul Mon 11 Jul 2 University Open Adelaide SA
Sat 16 Jul Sun 17 Jul 2 Fairfield Winter Cup Sydney NSW
Sat 23 Jul Sun 24 Jul 2 ANU Open Canberra ACT
Sat 6 Aug Sun 7 Aug 2 Coal City Open (U2100) Newcastle NSW
? Sep ? ? ? ? Tas
Sat 1 Oct Mon 3 Oct 3 Ryde-Eastwood Open Sydney NSW
Sun 2 Oct Mon 3 Oct 2 Labour Day Weekender Adelaide SA
Sat 29 Oct Sun 30 Oct 2 Laurieton Spring Open Newcastle NSW
? Nov ? ? ? ? Tas
Fri 4 Nov Sun 6 Nov 3 Gosford Open Central Coast NSW
Sat 5 Nov Sun 6 Nov 2 Best in the West Hobson's Bay Vic
Sat 12 Nov Sun 13 Nov 2 Coffs Harbour Open Coffs Harbour NSW
Sat 19 Nov Sun 20 Nov 2 Ralph Seberry Memorial Sydney NSW
Sat 3 Dec Sun 4 Dec 2 Vikings Tuggeranong ACT
Sat 10 Dec Sun 11 Dec 2 Fairfield Summer Cup Sydney NSW

eclectic
17-01-2005, 07:16 PM
JGB (currently in a plane over an ocean somewhere) will be pleased to see this calendar as he was asking for what events he could compete in once he landed on Australian soil.

Thanks Ian.

Mark

Ian Rout
18-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Seeing Barry and Bill don't know about a single combined list there probably isn't one, so here's mine to date below. Obvious omissions are WA and some MCC events that I can't see, and I've assumed there will be three Tasmanian events but not sure of the dates of two. Any comments/additions?

Apologies in advance for any data entry errors, and be sure to check state websites before booking flights etc.

I thought it was possible to attach files but I can't see how, possibly the list will be more readable with cut and paste into Word/Excel/Notepad.

Note: One typo (that I've spotted anyway) in the above, the Nell Van De Graaff is 10-11 September not July - unfortunately I seem to have missed the deadline for editing. (Also it doesn't seem to quite paste neatly into other applications but it is readable.)

Oepty
19-01-2005, 10:58 AM
The UNiversity Open will be on the 9th and 10th of July not the 10th and 11th as listed above. The details are on the Adelaide University Chess club website, www.unichess.org. This year the tournament will have an U/1600 section sponsored by Prince Alfred College who have been the top chess school in SA until the last couple of years.
Scott

Alan Shore
19-01-2005, 11:06 AM
The UNiversity Open will be on the 9th and 10th of July not the 10th and 11th as listed above. The details are on the Adelaide University Chess club website, www.unichess.org. This year the tournament will have an U/1600 section sponsored by Prince Alfred College who have been the top chess school in SA until the last couple of years.
Scott

Interesting... perhaps I'll make a return to Adelaide in July :D

adelandre
19-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks Scott.

Yeah, the Uni Open is back and its bigger and better. The U/1600 is a welcome addition which will supress the yo-yo effect that players experience. All details on the website - in fact I'll start a new thread.

ursogr8
20-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks Scott.

Yeah, the Uni Open is back and its bigger and better. The U/1600 is a welcome addition which will supress the yo-yo effect that players experience. All details on the website - in fact I'll start a new thread.

Bill

Did you read this? So the competitive thread is on the wrong premise, eh?

starter

Bill Gletsos
20-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Bill

Did you read this? So the competitive thread is on the wrong premise, eh?
I think you will find I said your competitive index was rubbish.
However lets not take this thread off its proper topic.

ursogr8
20-01-2005, 10:35 AM
I think you will find I said your competitive index was rubbish.
However lets not take this thread off its proper topic.

What you actually said was

If you start with a flawed premise then all you can expect is rubbish.
I think you should explain yourself.
On the competitive index thread (if you can bring yourself to post there :uhoh: ;) )

starter

Bill Gletsos
20-01-2005, 11:50 AM
What you actually said was

I think you should explain yourself.
On the competitive index thread (if you can bring yourself to post there :uhoh: ;) )
Since you saw fit to respond here, I will do the same.

You quoting my response from post #151 is misleading as my original comment from post #139 was:

When it comes to metrics your efforts in "competitive index's show you are full of rubbish.

You reponded to my comments re your competetive index in post #143.

It was then in post #151 I said:

If you start with a flawed premise then all you can expect is rubbish.

It is abundantly clear from my posts that I was referring to your competitive index, not the thread.

pax
20-01-2005, 02:57 PM

The South West Open will be 12-13 March at Bunbury Cotholic College (1pm start). The CAWA website is promising a full 2005 calendar "soon".

rob
21-01-2005, 11:02 AM
The South West Open will be 12-13 March at Bunbury Cotholic College (1pm start). The CAWA website is promising a full 2005 calendar "soon".

CAWA President/Secretary Haydn Barber has sent around a draft calendar for comment plus a few tourney details need confirming. The CAWA have a committee meeting on 7th Feb so I imagine shortly after that details will be available.

pax
24-01-2005, 11:17 AM
The following are the draft dates for the WA events. Details are subject to change and should be checked prior to the event:

SW Open Mar 12-13 Venue Bunbury Contact Julian Painter 9795 8044(h)
Kingsley Open Mar 26-28 Venue Legacy House Contact Chris Avis 93074274(h)
Perth Open Apr 9/10 Venue Wanneroo Rec Ctr Contact Norbert Muller 9409 9579(h)
Gufeld Cup Apr 23-25 Venue Midland Club Contact Haydn Barber 9398 4242(h)
Foundation Day Jun 4-6 Venue Legacy House Contact Chris Avis 9307 4274(h)
Willetton Open Oct 15/1 Contact David Ellis 9276 1822(h)
Xmas Open Dec 3/4 Venue Legacy House Contact Chris Avis 9307 4274(h)

pax
24-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Please note that only the SW Open is an ACF Grand Prix event. I believe all the events are part of the WA Grand Prix.

Garvinator
24-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Please note that only the SW Open is an ACF Grand Prix event. I believe all the events are part of the WA Grand Prix.
i am aware ;)

The_Wise_Man
24-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Can anyone let me know which weekenders (apart from the Doberl Cup and NSW Open) are at 90m+30s or 40/90 - 15+finish anywhere in Australia?

eclectic
24-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Can anyone let me know which weekenders (apart from the Doberl Cup and NSW Open) are at 90m+30s or 40/90 - 15+finish anywhere in Australia?

Hi Wise Man,

The Ballarat Begonia in March and the Victorian Open in June would be two which would match youir description.

Mark

pax
24-01-2005, 02:14 PM
i am aware ;)
So you should be!

Ian Rout
24-01-2005, 06:59 PM
The list, updated to take into account the above corrections/additions, is attached. I also scrolled down far enough to find the Attach button so it should be easier to read.

As before, this is just compiled from a trawl of state websites so check the primary source for verification or more information.

Garvinator
24-01-2005, 08:41 PM
is anyone else able to read xls files?

Mischa
24-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Would really, really appreciate a national list of all weekenders...to help plan the year with family committments and all. I understand this may be difficult, but surely the ACF must have access to information re this. I mean, it is very difficult to access this information accurately, and with the constant changes that must happen there must surely be some body or organisation out there that monitors all this. If there isn't then that is indeed a reflection on the professionalism of Australian chess.

It is late and my father in law has just arrived and I have spent the last hour being critisized, so forgive my attitude

ursogr8
24-01-2005, 09:30 PM
^^
This is the sort of service that a coaching organisation probably gathers because of the frequency of being asked the question, at least within a State. For example, Chess Ideas or ChessKids.
Also is available on request through the Chess VICTORIA web-site for affiliated Clubs week-enders.

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-01-2005, 09:33 PM
is anyone else able to read xls files?
Ian's file opened just fine for me.

Garvinator
24-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Ian's file opened just fine for me.
ok then, i just remember putting up an xls file containing gp points a few months back and ppl had trouble opening it cause it was an open office program.

Bill Gletsos
24-01-2005, 10:20 PM
ok then, i just remember putting up an xls file containing gp points a few months back and ppl had trouble opening it cause it was an open office program.
Then your original question was imprecise.
The question should have been something like "can others with Excel read xls files created by open office" because in the majority of cases not only will xls files have been created by Excel, the majority of peopel will try and open any xls file with Excel.

Ian Rout
25-01-2005, 07:39 AM
I thought the raw Execl would be most convenient as people could download it, add new lines and re-post - if anybody else is having trouble with the file here are a couple of alternative formats (attached).

pax
25-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Then your original question was imprecise.
The question should have been something like "can others with Excel read xls files created by open office" because in the majority of cases not only will xls files have been created by Excel, the majority of peopel will try and open any xls file with Excel.

However, you shouldn't assume everybody has excel. PDF is the closest thing to a uniform document standard at the moment, and is the best choice for distributing information that can be read across platforms.

auriga
25-01-2005, 10:03 AM
However, you shouldn't assume everybody has excel. PDF is the closest thing to a uniform document standard at the moment, and is the best choice for distributing information that can be read across platforms.

for those who don't have excel,

can download free excel viewer from microsoft.
goto microsoft.com and search for excel viewer
(think excel 2003 is latest version).

shaun
25-01-2005, 10:14 AM
for those who don't have excel,

can download free excel viewer from microsoft.
goto microsoft.com and search for excel viewer
(think excel 2003 is latest version).

No, no, no, no, no! For those that don't have excel go to http://www.openoffice.org and download OpenOffice.

auriga
25-01-2005, 10:34 AM
No, no, no, no, no! For those that don't have excel go to http://www.openoffice.org and download OpenOffice.

ok. fair call.
but isn't the start of this thread re openoffice being a bit flaky :D

Bill Gletsos
25-01-2005, 11:55 AM
However, you shouldn't assume everybody has excel.
gg's question directly related to xls files. It is reasonable to assume that if you absolutely want to open an xls (Excel) file then use Excel.

PDF is the closest thing to a uniform document standard at the moment, and is the best choice for distributing information that can be read across platforms.
Agreed but that wasnt relevant to gg's original question.

pax
25-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Excel viewer is no use for those using linux, OSX or anything other than windows. I agree that Open Office is pretty good, but you aren't guaranteed to get the same output that the author intended. PDF is still by far the best option if you want the widest audience for your document (apart from plain text or HTML).

pax
25-01-2005, 12:02 PM
gg's question directly related to xls files. It is reasonable to assume that if you absolutely want to open an xls (Excel) file then use Excel.

Yes. As long as you have the right version!

Trent Parker
25-01-2005, 10:45 PM
I find that most spreadsheet programs pick up excel spreadsheets anyway...... I have Microsoft word spreadsheet which opens excel. (although it is made by the same company).

Ian Rout
17-03-2005, 09:36 AM
As some other weekenders have recently been announced I have updated my earlier spreadsheet. Probably still missing are some Tasmanian events and MCC events which I can't see anywhere. Feel free to amend and upload with better information if anyone has any.