PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Sydney Easter Cup

antichrist
15-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Again the 2005 Easter Cup will be held at Cabravale Diggers Club (Canley Vale/Cabramatta, Sydney) over Easter Saturday and Monday. Substantially same conditions as before:

a) all entry fees of $20 and $10 cons. will be refunded in prizes,
b) a free meal on second day of contest
c) a trophy for winner and perpetual trophy
d) 7 rounds of one hour each player, winner on flag fall.
e) rating fees met by the Club

Full details will be posted tomorrow.

Ian Rout
17-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Again the 2005 Easter Cup will be held at Cabravale Diggers Club (Canley Vale/Cabramatta, Sydney) over Easter Saturday and Monday. Substantially same conditions as before:

a) all entry fees of $20 and $10 cons. will be refunded in prizes,
b) a free meal on second day of contest
c) a trophy for winner and perpetual trophy
d) 7 rounds of one hour each player, winner on flag fall.
e) rating fees met by the Club

Full details will be posted tomorrow.
I'm sure Mr Hanna posted the above in here by accident, perhaps the moderaters could move it to a thread of its own for him.

Ian Rout
17-01-2005, 05:50 PM
In case anyone was wondering, the above originally appeared in the Doeberl Cup thread. This is also why it has 4000+ views as split messages retain the view count of the parent (which in this case was itself split from an earlier thread).

Trent Parker
18-01-2005, 01:06 AM
well a/c i know i said it last year but i'm going to say it again..... I'm going to try my best to get to Doeberl......

antichrist
18-01-2005, 06:12 PM
well a/c i know i said it last year but i'm going to say it again..... I'm going to try my best to get to Doeberl......

You are most welcome to come to SEC again -- remember that free lunch and all the dough you save and the friendly atmosphere.

antichrist
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
We now have final details:

First prize guaranteed $250 (minimun)

Register and play: 9am Easter Saturday 26th March.
Second day of play Easter Monday 28th March 9am.

For futher details contact Ernest Dorn 9727-2931, 0419-260-240

arosar
02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Shit! You just reminded me. I need to make my reservations at Victor Lodge.

I can't believe how quickly the year has gone by.

AR

antichrist
02-03-2005, 11:01 PM
I have still got the phone no. here from when they ripped me off. 02-62957777, 29 Darwin St, Kingston, and that plum tree down the side may still have fruit if you lucky. But I warn you their bike seats are hard and a definite rip off at $15 a day - scandalous.

If only they could read some of the non-English comments in their "comment" book.

By the way, your rating has gone no where since SEC at Canterbury.

arosar
03-03-2005, 05:59 AM
Yes, but I still play better then you.

AR

antichrist
03-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Yes, but I still play better then you.

AR

I threw three games to juniors by taking queen off board. It cost me about 180 points which I never recovered from as virtually quit comp. If not for that my rating would be ahead of yours. Also as only playing SEC which I am out of practise for, as well as being DOP and arbiter etc (constant distractions), what can I expect.

Even if rating similar does not mean that I would beat you.

But as it was you who backed down from the CC game, I have the moral victory.

And I have another one over you, you may present in flashier clothes then me (not difficult) -- but I would not stay in Victor Lodge again.

Another one, I got to marry a beautiful lady, years younger than you will.

Anyway, I just remember you did very well at Canterbury SEC.

(note I did not kill the kids as many pathetic parents here do!)

arosar
03-03-2005, 07:42 AM
I drop a one-liner and here you are straining for a come-back.

I threw three games to juniors by taking queen off board. It cost me about 180 points which I never recovered from as virtually quit comp. If not for that my rating would be ahead of yours. Also as only playing SEC which I am out of practise for, as well as being DOP and arbiter etc (constant distractions), what can I expect.

Excuses. Excuses.

But as it was you who backed down from the CC game, I have the moral victory.

You can't play chess mate. No one can even understand how you're supposed to be a coach.

but I would not stay in Victor Lodge again.

Cheap bastard like you shouldn't complain.

Another one, I got to marry a beautiful lady, years younger than you will.

LOL! Here's a word: visa.

AR

antichrist
03-03-2005, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=arosar]I
You can't play chess mate. No one can even understand how you're supposed to be a coach.

A/C
But people who know my game often say I am a much better coach than a player -- but I have also beat them and they are higher rated than myself.

I was the sole coach of a junior who won the award for Most Improved Player of NSWJCL. In spite of hundreds of other juniors getting professional coaches from champions. As you may well know, when the finals are on I take the players to champions for further help. In the classroom when teaching chess, professional teachers have told me that I am a much better teacher than they will ever be.

But your observation is correct. I have taken "my" juniors along to clubs there they given solid adult players a very hard time, and when told their coach is yours truly they can't believe it.

AR
Cheap bastard like you shouldn't complain.

A/C
I am "from" a village in Lebanon where we take pride in not getting ripped off.

AR
LOL! Here's a word: visa.

A/C
But after 35 years we still love each other dearly - in spite of me proposing to her only after knowing her for five days. Seems I am still a brave "fool" now like I was then.

But I am a romantic which is another reason for the girls liking me. Your outer is good so examine your inner.

arosar
23-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey Peter, now you shouldn't have any more complaints right as the NSWCA has just informed all their emailable members about your event.

AR

Thunderspirit
25-03-2005, 07:57 PM
We now have final details:

First prize guaranteed $250 (minimun)

Register and play: 9am Easter Saturday 26th March.
Second day of play Easter Monday 28th March 9am.

For futher details contact Ernest Dorn 9727-2931, 0419-260-240

Geeze I'm impressed that just over 1/10 the 1st prize at Doeberl. Well done!

antichrist
25-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Geeze I'm impressed that just over 1/10 the 1st prize at Doeberl. Well done!

You fool, it is deliberately kept low so as to not attract Doeberl entries away. We had a terrific year once, even with small prizes, and the Doeberl people whinged for ever, making everyone sick.

antichrist
26-03-2005, 10:28 AM
28 players have entered the Sydeny Easter Cup with five players rated over 2000. Top ranked players are Rick Kaner 2250, Mr. Nanavadi 2134 and Johnny Bolens.

There is still a lightning comp commencing late Monday afternoon, which newcomers can participate in.

The free hot lunch is Monday. Not bad considering pensioners, umemployed and juniors entry fee is only $10 and all entry fees is refunded in prize money.

Rincewind
26-03-2005, 10:40 AM
28 players have entered the Sydeny Easter Cup with five players rated over 2000. Top ranked players are Rick Kaner 2250, Mr. Nanavadi 2134 and Johnny Bolens.

That field sounds a little top-heavy. Are their ratings prizes to encourage the 23 U2000 players?

antichrist
26-03-2005, 05:19 PM
That field sounds a little top-heavy. Are their ratings prizes to encourage the 23 U2000 players?

Yes it gets divided up but I don't take part in that, I leave that part to Earnest as he gets money from the Club. I like to give the top end at least half decent prizes because I think they deserve it, the lesser players get the practise of playing classy players.

I did not even attend my "own" comp this year, I was really missing it this morning. "Can't" believe that I have done it.

But have just come back from playing good players so am mostly satisfied.

If one of the top two ranked players win the tourney then the one player has never won twice in the comps 6 year history.

Thunderspirit
26-03-2005, 08:30 PM
You fool, it is deliberately kept low so as to not attract Doeberl entries away. We had a terrific year once, even with small prizes, and the Doeberl people whinged for ever, making everyone sick.

True. Good point

Trent Parker
26-03-2005, 09:02 PM
If my memory serves me correctly
4 unrateds

in the first round i played Epidio Bautista (2025). I'm 1434 So it gives an indication on the rating span of the tournament

Thunderspirit
26-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Apoligies to the board, for my scarasm to the event, it's wasn't one of my better posts...

antichrist
26-03-2005, 11:26 PM
One of the top players who dropped half a point has pulled out, I think two different reasons have been given???

I wonder if Johnny Bolens can pull it off again and do another dance around the hall?

We never heard of Mike Kai again who trounced the field undefeated 2 years ago. Earlier on in that comp Bolens had lost to Rose and was dancing when Rose then lost to Kai, thinking he was back in, but he never got a look in with Kai either. Anyone ever heard of him, he lives in St. George area?

Some opinion amongst the top players that year was that he was at least a grade above them and they were keen to see how he would go against N.S.W.'s top, amazing such a player he is lurking out there and hasn't showed his head again. So if an unknown Chinese guy wants to take you on for high stakes step back.

Sorry to bump Doeberl cross tables with my inane prattle (rated 8/10 RWIPI)

Trent Parker
27-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Actually A/C he dropped one and a half points!!

antichrist
27-03-2005, 12:59 AM
Actually A/C he dropped one and a half points!!

Do you remember who to? Hope it was to Arthur

Trent Parker
27-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Do you remember who to? Hope it was to Arthur Nah can't remember sorry.....

antichrist
28-03-2005, 08:28 AM
One of the Bautistas come back 1/2 hour late from lunch so 30mins against Johnny Bolens' 60 min and beat him!

antichrist
28-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Winner of 2005 Sydney Easter Cup with a perfect score is Elpidio Bautista, seeded no. 4!!!

When I asked Ed Agulto if he is coming he answered "Don't worry, Elpidio is coming!"

Refer previous post

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 09:47 PM
No i'm sure it was Edgar Bautista.

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Placings
1st 7 Edgar Bautista 2026
=2nd 5.5 Mimi Nawavadi 2134
Duncan Peters 1883
4-5 5 Johnny Bolens 2050
Benny Galvez 2005
6-7 4.5 Epidio Bautista 1894
Marc Dat????? 1686
8-12 4 Herman Rachmadi 1636
Anthony Villaneuva 1599
Aaron Marshall 1468
Karl Art 1467
Trent Parker 1434
13-15 3.5 Arthur Huynh 1792
Philip Tan 1530
David Lam 1446
16-19 3 Levi Descallar 1713
Rick Parballo 1662
Bob Sewell 1527
Frank Kresinger 1495
20 2.5 Richard Kaner 2250 (no show today, with notice)
21-23 2 Gary Losh 1493
Lance Chiddy 1031
Reece Badans Unrated (no show today, no notice)
24-26 1 Bob Liang 1317 (no show today, no notice)
Socheat Soth 1164 (no Show today, no notice)
Shobana Bommireddipalli Unrated (Played today only, 1 point for forfeit :( )
27-28 .5 James Forster Unrated (no show today, With notice)
.5 Skye Forster Unrated (no show today, with notice)
29 0 Stuart Ferguson Unrated (no show today, No notice)

antichrist
28-03-2005, 10:50 PM
No i'm sure it was Edgar Bautista.

That is not an Angloisation(?) of the name is it. Elpidio is the highly rated one.

Who won the other prizes and lightning if you don't mind.

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 10:59 PM
U1600 was about half way so was made the prize division. Karl art won the money on countback and Anthony Villenueva and i got equal 2nd.

Best junior.... I think was Lam

Lightning:
Bolens was up there can't remember if he got first or second, think he won it though. There was a 4 way playoff for 3rd prize..... Can't remember who got third.... by that time my brain was well and truly fried.

By the way a/c full scores on previous page :D

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:01 PM
U1600 was about half way so was made the prize division. Karl art won the money on countback and Anthony Villenueva and i got equal 2nd.

Lightning:
Bolens was up there can't remember if he got first or second, think he won it though. There was a 4 way playoff for 3rd prize..... Can't remember who got third.... by that time my brain was well and truly fried.

Karl Art won the same prize last year.

thanks for all the help

did you enjoy your own games or too busy?

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2005, 11:02 PM
The number of withdrawals for such a small field seems extremely large. What can you tell us about the reasons of those who gave notice (and whether they only intended to play one day or changed their minds later) and the performances and age of those who didn't give notice? I can't remember ever seeing this many WDs from one weekender before.

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Nah not too busy. Had a good day today (2/3).... beat Frank kresinger and Levi Descallar. Levi got into terrible time trouble and his position crumbled under it. His flag fell and i still had half an hour on my clock!

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:09 PM
The number of withdrawals for such a small field seems extremely large. What can you tell us about the reasons of those who gave notice (and whether they only intended to play one day or changed their minds later) and the performances and age of those who didn't give notice? I can't remember ever seeing this many WDs from one weekender before.

You may know more than me, I am only aware of one withdrawal, the no 1 seed who lost 1.5 points out of four on the first day. I don't mind a bit of scandal. As long as a good comp who cares

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 11:16 PM

Gave notice:
Kaner... hmm well i think his excuse was pretty dodgy.
The two the two Forsters were kids. They were pretty much outclassed and their .5 was against each other. The kid i played against tried to develop his rook by playing a4?? Apparently they live at Orange but their father who brought them along to the tournament lived in Sydney somewhere. Come to think about it.... don't NSW school kids go back to school tomorrow for a couple of weeks?

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Socheat Soth is a constant offender of not turning up the second day.....

Hey a/c did you see the overall standings on the previous page?

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:30 PM
I just seen now, thanks very much. Arthur did very poorly on day two. Only one point.

Bill Gletsos
28-03-2005, 11:31 PM
That is not an Angloisation(?) of the name is it. Elpidio is the highly rated one.Before making comments you should check the rating list.
Uf you gad you would find there are a number of Bautistas.
Edgar, not Elpidio is the highest rated.

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Edgar didn't have a rating before the March rating period... He actually played at toukley as an unrated.

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Before making comments you should check the rating list.
Uf you gad you would find there are a number of Bautistas.
Edgar, not Elpidio is the highest rated.

I must have looked too quickly as was rushing away for chess night. But I don't argue with you on chess. What about my claim that old swiss draw was superior i.e., of putting in rating order the whole way through?

Bill Gletsos
28-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Edgar didn't have a rating before the March rating period... He actually played at toukley as an unrated.I'm aware of that. ;)
A/C could easily have checked the March master file and seen there were multiple Bautistas.

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm aware of that. ;)
A/C could easily have checked the March master file and seen there were multiple Bautistas.

I had a quick look at active list on ACF site. and don't remember seeing his name. I sent copy of march ratings to organiser but did not check names as was one week ago. Amazing how he beat Bolens anyway. 30 mins against 60 mins

Trent Parker
28-03-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm aware of that. ;)
I thought that you probably would have known that that was the case.

It was probably more for antichrist.

Bill Gletsos
28-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I had a quick look at active list on ACF site. and don't remember seeing his name.Edgar is in the Foreign section.

antichrist
28-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Edgar is in the Foreign section.

no wonder that explains it, I did not know such a section exists. Anyway if he can beat Bolens in half the time he is a worthy winner and that is all I am concerned about. He is playing City of Sydney?

Trent Parker
29-03-2005, 12:07 AM
no wonder that explains it, I did not know such a section exists. Anyway if he can beat Bolens in half the time he is a worthy winner and that is all I am concerned about. He is playing City of Sydney?

Yes he is! he is on 4/6 loosing to George Xie and Kegless.

antichrist
29-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Yes he is! he is on 4/6 loosing to George Xie and Kegless.

George won SEC last year, I was thinking how could I entice Kegless to SEC for just once

pax
29-03-2005, 09:43 AM
George won SEC last year, I was thinking how could I entice Kegless to SEC for just once

Bad boy - You're not supposed to be enticing players away from the big D!

antichrist
29-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Bad boy - You're not supposed to be enticing players away from the big D!

it would be funny if he "jumped" but did not win, they would not miss him just once, I want to offer that commentator job is chess film I want to make, then he will come to SEC just once.

A player whose rating is just below 1800 had the following games in SEC. Lucky to get such competition but unlucky as a difficult draw. IMHO a lot of those Doeberl tail-enders should stay in Sydney

Saturday:
Beat Bob Liang (1317)
drew with Nanavadi (2134)
Lost to Duncan Peters (1883)
Beat Levi Descallar (1713)

Monday:
Lost to Johnny Bolens (2050)
Beat Rick Parballo (1662)
Lost to Benny Galvez (2003)

Rhubarb
31-03-2005, 01:56 PM
George won SEC last year, I was thinking how could I entice Kegless to SEC for just onceYou just never know, AC. But you might be waiting a long time, as I intend to play in Doeberl until I win the bloody thing.

Like the producers of the Police Academy movies, I'm gonna keep going till I get it right.

antichrist
31-03-2005, 05:28 PM
You just never know, AC. But you might be waiting a long time, as I intend to play in Doeberl until I win the bloody thing.

Like the producers of the Police Academy movies, I'm gonna keep going till I get it right.

I had that attitude towards a City of Sydney co-winner, it only took me 17 years then I retired from playing for 5 years, as that was my only goal.

Trent Parker
03-04-2005, 12:19 AM
a/c i would have preferred to been asked before repeating my entries on this bb. thanks