PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Victorian Open (postponed to 23-26 Sept)

Thai Ly
30-04-2021, 10:26 PM
2021 Victorian Open

Friday 11th of June Monday 14th of June
Hosted by Melbourne Chess Club on behalf of Chess Victoria

Tournament Page (Current entry list, entry form) (https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/2021-victorian-open/summary)

WHERE: Melbourne Chess Club
66 Leicester St
Fitzroy, VIC

CAPACITY: 80 players maximum (May change in accordance with current MCC COVID protocol. Be sure to enter early!)

TIMETABLE: Round 1: Fri 11th Jun, 7.00pm
Round 2: Sat 12th Jun, 10.30am
Round 3: Sat 12th Jun, 3.30pm
Round 4: Sun 13th Jun, 10.30am
Round 5: Sun 13th Jun, 3.30pm
Round 6: Mon 14th Jun, 10.30am
Round 7: Mon 14th Jun, 3.30pm

ENTRY FEES: $90 Full, $80 Concession / Junior.
GMs/WGMs and IMs/WIMs free if entered by Saturday 5th June.

EARLY BIRD: $10 early bird discount if paid by Saturday 5th June.

PRIZES ($3750 - All guaranteed!):
1st: $1200
2nd: $700
3rd: $350
4th: $250
5th: $125
Rating 1: 1st: $250, 2nd $125
Rating 2: 1st: $250, 2nd $125
Rating 3: 1st: $250, 2nd $125

FORMAT: 7 Round Swiss.
90 minutes plus 30 seconds per move time controls

BYES: Up to 2 half point byes allowed in rounds 1-5.

FORFEIT TIME: 30 minutes after published round start time

CHIEF ARBITER: Alexej Khamatgaleev (0426 731 726, lehak10@hotmail.com)
ORGANISER: Thai Ly (0421 912 296, melbchessclub@gmail.com)

RATING: The event will be ACF and FIDE (https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_details.phtml?event=258869) rated.

ENTRY: Online via Tornelo webpage (Click here) (https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/melbourne-chess-club/events/2021-victorian-open/summary), or in person at MCC.

CURRENT LIST OF PLAYERS: See Tornelo webpage or check this thread from time to time.

PAYMENTS: By credit card (for online entries) or cash at MCC or to the tournament organiser.

Aleksei
04-05-2021, 12:27 AM
Just a note from the arbiter: dear players, please use your real name and surname registering via Tornelo. The records like "A____ H_____" couldn't be accepted. Please make sure your account setting in Tornelo is Public, not Private. The tournament is registered in FIDE and ACF, we publish the list of players, pairings, results, and standing on this site, we send the final results to Australian and International federations for the rating calculation. Anonymity in such conditions is just impossible. And my special request to new players (first timers): please mention in the registration notice if you have any chess rating or ID number (FIDE, ACF, national federation for foreigners, rating from FIDE Arena online) and your full date of birth.

stephen jago
14-05-2021, 10:28 AM
I entered yesterday , Should be fun , Is there a list of entries so far , thank you

Thai Ly
14-05-2021, 12:24 PM
Below is a list of current entries. Top seed is currently IM Ari Dale:

Entries
Rad Chmiel
Peter Clark
Ari Dale (IM)
Jack De Rooy
Samuel De Rooy
Arthur Gao
Adam Halabe
Liang Hong
Wilbur Hong
Xavier Hong
Kerry Hopkins
Stephen Jago
Leo Kalina
Adam Kelly
Jackie Li
Tedric Li
Behrang Mohamadi
Stephen Navra
Roark Navra
Alexandros Pappas
Oliver Pearl
Nethaji Rathinalingam
Maickel Rodriguez
Emilio Santin
Arjun B. Srinivasan
Cunmeng Wang

MichaelBaron
14-05-2021, 12:33 PM
I entered yesterday , Should be fun , Is there a list of entries so far , thank you

U can see updated list of entries on Tornelo

stephen jago
14-05-2021, 10:38 PM
Thanks Thai ,

Thai Ly
25-05-2021, 12:03 AM
Below are the current entries. Currently stands at 61 players which is already more than 75% of the current MCC (COVID) limit of 80 players. Please enter ASAP to avoid disappointment.

Luke Ainsworth
Rheyansh Annapureddy
Roger Beattie
Zac Bennett
Tejas Cherukuvada
Vikas Cherukuvada
Matthew Chin
Barnaby Chiverton
Fergus Chiverton
Rad Chmiel
Peter Clark
Regan Crowley
Joseph Daffy
Cheng Dai
Ari Dale (IM)
Damien De Pyle
Jack De Rooy
Samuel De Rooy
Arthur Gao
Paul Haberecht
Adam Halabe
Patrick Hatzipavlis
Wilbur Hong
Xavier Hong
Liang Hong
Kerry Hopkins
Nicholas Ilic
Goran Illic
Henry Jackson
Stephen Jago
Leo Kalina
Archit Kannan
Adam Kelly
Tair Kuanyshev
Jackie Li
Tedric Li
David Lovejoy
James Mak
Behrang Mohamadi
Laura Nan
Stephen Navra
Roark Navra
Alexandros Pappas
Oliver Pearl
Daniel Poberezovsky
Nethaji Rathinalingam
Chanakya Reddy Patti
Paul Rehill
Maickel Rodriguez
Haran Salasan
Emilio Santin
Colin Savige
Arjun B. Srinivasan
Neelesh Susindran
Harrison Trewin
Samuel Trewin
Sulia Van Sebille
Cunmeng Wang
Anthony Wang
Elizabeth Warren
Felix Wyss

stephen jago
27-05-2021, 09:06 AM
Is the tournament going ahead if Victoria are in total lockdown ,

Thai Ly
29-05-2021, 11:48 PM
Is the tournament going ahead if Victoria are in total lockdown ,

MCC expects to hold the tournament, unless Victorian Government restrictions prevent this from happening (which is not the case currently).

We are closely monitoring the situation obviously, so make sure to check for any further announcements here and via other channels employed by MCC.

stephen jago
03-06-2021, 06:14 PM
8 days out , Victoria in lockdown , what's the latest ,

MichaelBaron
05-06-2021, 01:20 AM
8 days out , Victoria in lockdown , what's the latest ,

As the lockdown is TILL the Friday the tournament is due to start, some interesting scenarios could be happening, for instance: What if Chess is can be resumed but the player limit is is say 40 people ...and currently there are 73 entries.
Will the tournament still be held? If yes, who will get to play and who will get kicked out?

Michael. I
05-06-2021, 07:57 AM
As the lockdown is TILL the Friday the tournament is due to start, some interesting scenarios could be happening, for instance: What if Chess is can be resumed but the player limit is is say 40 people ...and currently there are 73 entries.
Will the tournament still be held? If yes, who will get to play and who will get kicked out?

Or run online, because it's not like last year's Greg Hjorth open ran badly online on Tornelo :)
(unless I'm missing something, apologies if so :))

stephen jago
08-06-2021, 11:33 PM
I have to withdraw , for this weekend , 11 new cases today , it's not safe for me to travell , I havnt had my vaccine yet

MichaelBaron
09-06-2021, 12:58 AM
I have to withdraw , for this weekend , 11 new cases today , it's not safe for me to travell , I havnt had my vaccine yet

well, today's number of cases is 2 - 11 was yesterdays' number with 9 out of 11 being in quarantine already. But even more importantly - i is quite obvious that even if we are out of the lockdown on Friday (hopefully it will happen and looks like it may), having a 70 player event permitted is unlikely.

stephen jago
09-06-2021, 12:27 PM
I informed Alex of my withdraw

Michael. I
09-06-2021, 12:36 PM
having a 70 player event permitted is unlikely.
Under which type of restriction do we fall in terms of how many people can we have entered in an MCC tournament? :)

MichaelBaron
09-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Under which type of restriction do we fall in terms of how many people can we have entered in an MCC tournament? :)

Let's wait for MCC official announcements. I am very sure that whatever it will be, it will be based on the ''New Rules''

Michael. I
09-06-2021, 02:59 PM
Let's wait for MCC official announcements. I am very sure that whatever it will be, it will be based on the ''New Rules''

Yes, as anxious as I already am. :)

Thai Ly
09-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Hi all

As you are aware, MCC has been monitoring the situation closely regarding the effect of the Victorian COVID restrictions on the status of the Vic Open tournament.

MCC will be considering the matter at a Committee meeting tonight. These considerations will be made in light of the today's Government statement in respect to the COVID restrictions to be applied after the end of tomorrow.

After the Committee meeting, MCC will then issue a public statement with regard to the Vic Open later tonight.

Michael. I
09-06-2021, 05:36 PM
Many thanks in advace :) :cool:

Thai Ly
09-06-2021, 10:04 PM
MCC STATEMENT re 2021 VIC OPEN

Melbourne Chess Club (MCC) has decided to postpone its hosting of the 2021 Victorian Open to Thursday 23 September 2021 to Sunday 26 September 2021.

This period corresponds to the expected long weekend accompanying the Victorian public holiday for the AFL Grand Final*.

MCC made this decision following its review of the most recent Victorian Government directives in relation to the COVID restrictions that will come into effect after 11:59 pm Thursday 10 June 2021 (the COVID Directives).

MCC has determined that under the COVID Directives it will be unable to reopen its premises, and thus host the 2021 Victorian Open, over the scheduled dates of Friday 11 June 2021 to Monday 14 June 2021.

The terms of the now postponed 2021 Victorian Open (such as the number and timing of rounds, time controls, etc) will be similar to what has been previously advertised, with a possible exception to the player capacity which may be adjusted to reflect what will be allowable come late September.

Refund Requests

Any person who has entered the tournament is entitled to a refund of their entry fee payment.

MCC requests that anyone seeking a refund do so by emailing MCC at melbchessclub@gmail.com. When emailing MCC, please provide your name and bank account details. MCC intends to process payment of refunds as a batch on a fortnightly basis.

Entrants who do not advise MCC of their request for a refund will retain their entry into the tournament.

For any further questions, please contact MCC’s tournament organiser Thai Ly via email at melbchessclub@gmail.com.

* The public holiday occurs on the Friday before the AFL Grand Final, which typically falls on the last Friday in September or the first Friday in October. The exact date is subject to change based on the 2021 AFL schedule (see https://business.vic.gov.au/business-information/public-holidays/victorian-public-holidays-2021).

Thai Ly
09-06-2021, 10:07 PM
Mods

Please rename the thread title to "2021 Victorian Open (postponed to 23-26 Sept)" and transfer this thread to "Completed Tournament" sub-forum.

However, please do not make this transfer until 1 July 2021 so that Vic Open entrants have the opportunity to read MCC's postponement statement (posted above) in the current sub-forum.

I intend to create a new thread for the postponed tournament with new details about the tournament once FIDE registration details for the postponed tournament are confirmed.

Michael. I
09-06-2021, 10:07 PM
I know I'm looking a few months into the future (but so is the update, saying that that's how long the tournament is postponed for), but what will we do with Grand Final Eve Blitz?

Thai Ly
09-06-2021, 10:10 PM
I know I'm looking a few months into the future (but so is the update, saying that that's how long the tournament is postponed for), but what will we do with Grand Final Eve Blitz?

The MCC Grand Final Blitz will be cancelled.

Bill Gletsos
09-06-2021, 11:19 PM
Thread renamed as requested.

Chigoresov
09-06-2021, 11:22 PM
Six reasons to leave home: shopping for food and supplies, authorised work and study, care and caregiving, exercise, getting vaccinated and running committee meetings to determine how to run chess tournaments in today's new Covid world.

MichaelBaron
09-06-2021, 11:23 PM
The MCC Grand Final Blitz will be cancelled.

Sigh...

Thai Ly
09-06-2021, 11:28 PM
Six reasons to leave home: shopping for food and supplies, authorised work and study, care and caregiving, exercise, getting vaccinated and running committee meetings to determine how to run chess tournaments in today's new Covid world.

MCC's Committee met tonight via videoconference.

Chigoresov
09-06-2021, 11:41 PM
MCC's Committee met tonight via videoconference.

Melburnians have lost their sense of humor in Lock-down.

Thai Ly
10-06-2021, 10:54 AM
I have just been advised that payments made of entry fees made via online payment through Tornelo do not require the player to provide their bank account details.

In such cases, MCC can simply reverse the payment to the card that was used to pay the online entry (e.g. payment by a Visa card will lead to a refund to the same Visa card).

Therefore, if you are seeking a refund and fit in this category, you can simply confirm that your entry fee was paid online via Tornelo in your email to MCC.