PDA

View Full Version : Qld. rural chess clubs' history - Any clues on getting info.?

Kerry Corker
04-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Having a lot of trouble finding info on many rural chess clubs in Queensland.
Mt Isa for instance must have a fascinating history with a huge overseas influence. How many Russian GMs played there, and when?
Toowoomba started in 1872! All I know from last century is that they hosted Australian Championships in 1986.
Charters Towers was also a very big town with I presume a rich chess history.
Any help would be appreciated.
CAQ Records 14.0 is now on the CAQ Inc. website.

Patrick Byrom
05-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Having a lot of trouble finding info on many rural chess clubs in Queensland.
Mt Isa for instance must have a fascinating history with a huge overseas influence. How many Russian GMs played there, and when?
Toowoomba started in 1872! All I know from last century is that they hosted Australian Championships in 1986.
Charters Towers was also a very big town with I presume a rich chess history.
Any help would be appreciated.
CAQ Records 14.0 is now on the CAQ Inc. website.There was a very small chess club in Charters Towers when I was there. But I'm not aware of any major historical chess activity. While Charters Towers was a very big town for several decades, it has been a very small town since WW I, so you'd probably need to investigate the period before then.

Kerry Corker
05-03-2021, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that Patrick. Can you remember what year/s you were there and the venue please. Have got some info. on Cairns, Mackay and Toowoomba from Blackbishop with thanks. That will keep me going for a couple of weeks. Anyone have any info on Bundaberg, Gympie or Innisfail?

Afitz
06-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Ian Murray would be the best bet for some of the information, however for Bundaberg/Gympie/Maryborough I would suggest Martin Carter/John Harris/Allan Menham as your best bets.

Patrick Byrom
06-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Thanks for that Patrick. Can you remember what year/s you were there and the venue please. Have got some info. on Cairns, Mackay and Toowoomba from Blackbishop with thanks. That will keep me going for a couple of weeks. Anyone have any info on Bundaberg, Gympie or Innisfail?I was playing chess there from (about) 1970 to 1980. But that's only approximate, as the 'club' may not have existed for that entire period. And the club was always very small - perhaps six people at its largest - so we just met in someone's house.

Kerry Corker
10-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Thanks to all for contributing. That gives me enough to keep busy for awhile.