PDA

View Full Version : buller sensational!

doc
11-01-2005, 05:21 PM
i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments, and it is a credit to the organising team, and all involved. the integrity with which this event seems to have conducted is heartening, and the choice of venue is inspired. one of the most beautiful locations in australia, i guess the kids could look out on the mountains and put a bit of perspective on everything. its just great, and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing? i think everyone who has criticised this event is really being incredibly cynical and short-sighted. i couldnt really care less what they think., from where i am, it seems great. brilliant guys!

Libby
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing?

You might want to check the price of accommodation at ski resorts in Winter first :eek:

doc
11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
well libby, look here love, would you deny the kids, the chance, at one of the most exciting opportunities of their life?? it would be magical, and if parents arent prepared to give their kids a good life experience as opposed to worrying about the bank balance, then what is this world coming to.

Libby
11-01-2005, 05:41 PM
well libby, look here love, would you deny the kids, the chance, at one of the most exciting opportunities of their life?? it would be magical, and if parents arent prepared to give their kids a good life experience as opposed to worrying about the bank balance, then what is this world coming to.

Aahh. I'm so old I even worry about my credit card bill these days. Strange things mortgages.

Not sure if you're joking. Talking $3380/5 nights/6 people at the Mercure. Plus I can't ski. I'm pretty good on that old "life-experience" stuff but that's probably a bit beyond me.

Not denying Mt Buller would be both cool and exciting in Winter but I think you'd be running a slightly smaller event. :cool:

Garvinator
11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
even for all the panning the organisers have received, we are not planning on a winter mt buller ;) :whistle:

Libby
11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
even for all the panning the organisers have received, we are not planning on a winter mt buller ;) :whistle:

Give it time ... :lol: ;)

JimF
11-01-2005, 07:14 PM
i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments, and it is a credit to the organising team, and all involved. the integrity with which this event seems to have conducted is heartening, and the choice of venue is inspired. one of the most beautiful locations in australia, i guess the kids could look out on the mountains and put a bit of perspective on everything. its just great, and maybe oneday they could do a winter tournament and combine it with the skiing? i think everyone who has criticised this event is really being incredibly cynical and short-sighted. i couldnt really care less what they think., from where i am, it seems great. brilliant guys!

Hmmm, methinks someone is suffering from a form of altitude sickness, disorientation and a degree of recklessness resulting in a decision to fly into a stuffed cloud. Seen a couple dead 'uns occur that way.

Mischa
22-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Kerry,

answer

jenni
23-01-2005, 10:47 AM
i must say folks that the mt buller tournament seems to be, from afar, the best organised event in the history of young chess tournaments,!
Uh - no I don't think so. It certainly wasn't the worst and Roly, Lee and Charles did a great job in making it a good comp for the kids.

I have just deleted a very long post I was going to put in reply, because I am not going to whine. However the juniors in 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 were all better organised. Didn't like 1996 or 1997 or 2004 and can't comment on 1999 as I wasn't there.

Kerry Stead
23-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Kerry,

answer

You mean me? :hmm:

Mischa
23-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Sorry, I meant Klyall