PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Queensland Open (Cairns) [Postponed Indefinitely]

Shaun94
20-01-2021, 12:11 PM
The 2021 Queensland Open will be held in Cairns at Trinity Anglican School August 14th and 15th. This is a CAQ state title event open to all participants (must be a financial member of CAQ).

When - August 14th/15th
Where - Bishop Centre, Trinity Anglican School White Rock Campus
Who - All financial members of CAQ
Arbiter - FA Shaun Curtis
Time control - 60 + 10

A big thank you to Trinity Anglican School for sponsoring the tournament, I'm sure it will be a well attended tournament with many things to do in Cairns outside the tournament (I'm sure trips to the reef will be popular!).

For all enquiries please contact myself via email - scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au

More information to come in the coming months

Tony Dowden
02-02-2021, 07:06 AM
I'm keen to play in this event!

Shaun94
02-02-2021, 08:15 AM
I'm keen to play in this event!

Great to hear Tony, i will have more information regarding this tournament shortly. I think it would be great to see a few players from SEQ travel up to beautiful Cairns for this tournament.

I believe it will be the first time Cairns has hosted the Queensland Open (I could certainly be wrong but not within my time of involvement).

The venue is a beautiful large hall with carpeted floors and air-conditioning for comfort. I believe CM Jonas Muller won the Cairns open last year and he has told me he plans to play again.

Afitz
02-02-2021, 09:26 AM
Pretty sure Cairns has not ever hosted the Queensland Open. There was no Cairns Open last year, but Jonas Muller did indeed win it the year prior, and David Spuler the year before that.

The Cairns chess scene has a few keen adults, but has a very strong junior base thanks to the schools who participate in Interschool tournaments. There are regularly close to 100 players attending Interschool events from the Cairns Hinterland (Mareeba, Atherton, Ravenshoe) and the host school Trinity Anglican School has one of the largest school chess programs in the state!

ER
02-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Count me in thanks!

strangerep
02-02-2021, 11:48 AM
I think it would be great to see a few players from SEQ travel up to beautiful Cairns for this tournament.
I believe it will be the first time Cairns has hosted the Queensland Open [...]

If the Cairns organizers are trying to attract Southerners, it would be good if they could go and check out nearby accommodation. I've visited the Whitsundays a few times in winter, and found that neither aircon, nor fans in the bedrooms, were necessary. However, insect screening on all windows and balcony doors is essential -- so you can leave them open overnight without birds coming in early and making a hell of a mess. (This is a BIG problem on Hamilton Is.) Cairns is another 30-ish mins (by plane) further north but I don't know how much difference that would make to temp and humidity.

It would also be good if the local organizers would ask to actually view a few rooms, not just prices and types of rooms. Some places look nice in the lobby but have really crap rooms (which is why they are cheap). Most northern places have ceiling fans in the bedrooms, but they're usually noisy even on the slowest speed. Some places have ventilation fans that run intermittently all night, or even 24x7, and cannot be turned off. ("Martinique" in Airlie Beach was like that -- I abandoned my booking after only 1 night.)

@Shaun94: do you know when the Cairns event will be definitely, absolutely, positively, confirmed? [Assuming no COVID issues nor Chinese military invasion of FNQ, of course.]

Shaun94
02-02-2021, 01:37 PM
If the Cairns organizers are trying to attract Southerners, it would be good if they could go and check out nearby accommodation. I've visited the Whitsundays a few times in winter, and found that neither aircon, nor fans in the bedrooms, were necessary. However, insect screening on all windows and balcony doors is essential -- so you can leave them open overnight without birds coming in early and making a hell of a mess. (This is a BIG problem on Hamilton Is.) Cairns is another 30-ish mins (by plane) further north but I don't know how much difference that would make to temp and humidity.

It would also be good if the local organizers would ask to actually view a few rooms, not just prices and types of rooms. Some places look nice in the lobby but have really crap rooms (which is why they are cheap). Most northern places have ceiling fans in the bedrooms, but they're usually noisy even on the slowest speed. Some places have ventilation fans that run intermittently all night, or even 24x7, and cannot be turned off. ("Martinique" in Airlie Beach was like that -- I abandoned my booking after only 1 night.)

@Shaun94: do you know when the Cairns event will be definitely, absolutely, positively, confirmed? [Assuming no COVID issues nor Chinese military invasion of FNQ, of course.]

I will begin by confirming that the event is going ahead with myself as chief organiser in conjunction with local members of the chess community including David Long from Trinity Anglican School.

When it comes to accommodation, I stay at the Park Regis/Piermonde apartments when I am in Cairns as my preferred accommodation. This is because it is near the dining precincts and in near the centre of town while still close to a main road making commuting anywhere I need to go quite easy to do. I would also add that I have never had an issue with noise or amenities whilst staying here.

Everywhere I've stayed in Cairns has air-conditioning so I can't really comment on any issues around ceiling fans, leaving doors open etc. as I simply have not had to do it. I can say that the temperature/humidity is what you would expect when it comes to Tropical Far North Queensland. This being said it is a lovely place to visit though I would not run an event in FNQ without air-conditioning ever....

My email address is: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au I am happy to converse with any participants (or potential participants) regarding this event.

Shaun94
02-02-2021, 01:58 PM
Count me in thanks!

Great to hear, looking forward to seeing you there :)

Tony Dowden
02-02-2021, 06:36 PM
Great to hear Tony, i will have more information regarding this tournament shortly. I think it would be great to see a few players from SEQ travel up to beautiful Cairns for this tournament.

I believe it will be the first time Cairns has hosted the Queensland Open (I could certainly be wrong but not within my time of involvement).

The venue is a beautiful large hall with carpeted floors and air-conditioning for comfort. I believe CM Jonas Muller won the Cairns open last year and he has told me he plans to play again.

Many thanks Shaun. You can count me in too, second in line just behind Elliot! Thanks for confirming the venue has air-conditioning (although I was assuming it would, as A/C is pretty much ubiquitous in Cairns these days).

ER
02-02-2021, 08:09 PM
Many thanks Shaun. You can count me in too, second in line just behind Elliot! Thanks for confirming the venue has air-conditioning (although I was assuming it would, as A/C is pretty much ubiquitous in Cairns these days).

Hi Tony, would be nice to meet again at Cairns. Last couple of times 1) In Canberra and 2) in Brisbane we didn't have time to say or do much! Cheers!

Shaun94
02-02-2021, 10:14 PM

You are correct aircon is a must in Cairns and Trinity Anglican School's Bishop Centre is a lovely venue that is no exception. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Gattaca
03-02-2021, 03:33 PM
Jean and I hope to arrive in Cairns in late June and would try to stay until after the event, so we are possible entrants, although not 100% yet as we live in uncertain times.

What I can say it that we both absolutely love Cairns and surrounds and are hoping to buy a home away from home in Cairns on this winter reconnaissance trip. Our hope is that we can begin to spend our winters in Cairns whilst retaining our Melbourne home as our main base. I have been studying the Cairns real estate market for years now and we have already spent several holidays there. We had no issues with accommodation and the reservations expressed by strangerep I don't think would be an issue in winter, more so in the wet season.

Why do we love Cairns? Well apart from the fact that I was born in Babinda, just south of Cairns (so the tropics are in my blood) and Jean grew up in Durban, South Africa, which has some climatic similarities, I would pose the following question.

What other place is a day trip from the world's greatest reef, the teeming jungle of the Daintree rainforest and the sub-tropical rolling dairy hills of the Atherton Tablelands, is small but culturally active and has an international airport for easy travel anywhere in the world? Where else can you swim on white tropical beaches like Trinity Beach in the morning, the clean freshwater pools of the Babinda Boulders in the afternoon and the pristine, deepwater crater of Lake Eacham in the evening?

Gattaca
03-02-2021, 03:35 PM
Give up?

Cairns!

Bet you didn't expect that...

Shaun94
03-02-2021, 06:37 PM
Great to hear that there is a lot of interest in the tournament!

Tony Dowden
03-02-2021, 10:01 PM
Jean and I hope to arrive in Cairns in late June and would try to stay until after the event, so we are possible entrants, although not 100% yet as we live in uncertain times. ... What other place is a day trip from the world's greatest reef, the teeming jungle of the Daintree rainforest and the sub-tropical rolling dairy hills of the Atherton Tablelands, is small but culturally active and has an international airport for easy travel anywhere in the world? Where else can you swim on white tropical beaches like Trinity Beach in the morning, the clean freshwater pools of the Babinda Boulders in the afternoon and the pristine, deepwater crater of Lake Eacham in the evening?

Too easy Guy ... Palm Cove ;)

Great to hear you and Jean might be in town! Marina and I can't get enough of FNQ and the world class natural wonders there either. August will be our fifth trip. We plan to be based at Palm Cove for a week after the chess event plus a hideaway in the Daintree for two nights, so I hope you can stay a bit longer without going totally troppo and that we can get to meet up with you again.

strangerep
04-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Too easy Guy ... Palm Cove ;)
Oh,... snap! I've been thinking about PC for a couple of years -- it's the other reason why I'll probably play in Cairns in Aug -- to visit PC and see what it's really like, especially those incredible places up on Buchan's Pt looking north. Although,... they're a bit 2FX for a winter-only home (high BC fees) and I'd always be worrying about the next cyclone... :eek:

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Posts moved

Discussion about bidding, venues and attendance for this event moved to a separate thread as is normal when discussion of a specific event branches into discussion of the event in general:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?18325-Queensland-Open-venues-bidding-and-attendance

Any discussion of the thread split can occur in the Help and Feedback section only.

A reminder to users to please request thread splits by posting here: http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17991-Thread-requests-title-changes-merging-splitting-moving-posts-etc and not on the thread in question.

Tony Dowden
06-02-2021, 08:51 AM
Hi Tony, would be nice to meet again at Cairns. Last couple of times 1) In Canberra and 2) in Brisbane we didn't have time to say or do much! Cheers! Looking forward to it Elliot!

Brodie
11-02-2021, 08:54 PM
This looks like it will be a great event! Who wants to climb Mt Bartle Frere or Walsh's Pyramid with me before the tournament?

shadowshooter
12-02-2021, 06:12 PM
This looks like it will be a great event! Who wants to climb Mt Bartle Frere or Walsh's Pyramid with me before the tournament?

They could expand the event into a Chess-athlon, including a blitz round at the summit!:)

Tony Dowden
01-03-2021, 07:54 AM

The Pyramid might be tempting! But would you be able to keep up with a 60-year-old bushwalker?

Brodie
15-03-2021, 02:07 PM
The Pyramid might be tempting! But would you be able to keep up with a 60-year-old bushwalker?

Patience isn't my strong point �� If I decide against Bartle Frere Western approach, then we can do the Pyramid. Want to go to Nandroya falls and Etty Bay too.

Shaun94
18-03-2021, 12:28 PM
Currently in discussions with a couple of well known titled players to participate in this event.... Would be great to see a GM or multiple playing in the Queensland Open.

If you are interested in this tournament please get in touch via email: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au

Tony Dowden
19-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Re Brodie's message: Actually it looks like I'll probably have to bow out, as my wife will most likely be with me.

ER
19-03-2021, 11:18 PM
If you are interested in this tournament please get in touch via email: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au
I definitely am! I will get in touch, as soon as I have my winter schedule organised! Cheers

smurfo
29-03-2021, 12:03 PM
I'm confirmed. I've just used frequent flyer points and will soon donate rating points.

Shaun94
30-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Great to hear that GM David Smerdon is a confirmed entrant. This may be the strongest QLD Open ever and in a fantastic holiday destination!

PaulNoosa
06-04-2021, 11:27 AM
The 2021 Queensland Open will be held in Cairns at Trinity Anglican School August 14th and 15th. This is a CAQ state title event open to all participants (must be a financial member of CAQ).

When - August 14th/15th
Where - Bishop Centre, Trinity Anglican School White Rock Campus
Who - All financial members of CAQ
Arbiter - FA Shaun Curtis
Time control - 60 + 10

A big thank you to Trinity Anglican School for sponsoring the tournament, I'm sure it will be a well attended tournament with many things to do in Cairns outside the tournament (I'm sure trips to the reef will be popular!).

For all enquiries please contact myself via email - scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au

More information to come in the coming months

Is this tournament confirmed? It doesn't appear on the CAQ calendar or web page as a forthcoming event and I've not been able to find any flyer, entry form etc.

Shaun94
06-04-2021, 03:43 PM
The event is going ahead and confirmed a flyer is being created awaiting confirmation of sponsors before proceeding with flyer. The information above is correct and accurate

PaulNoosa
06-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Thx Shaun, flights booked. Looking forward to securing an entry!

Afitz
07-04-2021, 07:24 AM
Is this tournament confirmed? It doesn't appear on the CAQ calendar or web page as a forthcoming event and I've not been able to find any flyer, entry form etc.

Events are only placed on the CAQ website once a flyer has been produced and a Covid plan submitted.

PaulNoosa
11-05-2021, 03:41 PM
Could you provide an update on this tournament please? I'd like to be booking accommodation, but have not sighted any further information regarding the tournament.

Shaun94
14-05-2021, 11:19 AM
The tournament is definitely going ahead at Trinity Anglican School, White Rock Campus, August 14th & 15th.

There has been some delay in terms of finalising sponsors and flyer etc. due to personal reasons. I can confirm the event is going ahead on the advertised dates.

ER
25-05-2021, 04:43 AM
Could you provide an update on this tournament please? I'd like to be booking accommodation, but have not sighted any further information regarding the tournament.

I second this! Due to other commitments, I will be very busy from now to the time of the tournament, so having bookings and related stuff out of the way ASAP would help a lot. Cheers Shaun.

Afitz
25-05-2021, 10:34 AM
I know that Shaun has a meeting in Cairns this week with the host school and one of the potential sponsors...until that meeting is had, a full flyer and other things such as prize money etc cannot be published.

The event will be held at Trinity Anglican School, Progress Road, White Rock on the weekend of 14 and 15 August. Previously it's been a 6 round event with 3 on the Saturday and 3 on the Sunday. There is minimal food across the road in the small shopping centre, although a 2 minute drive will see you at a much larger centre with a number of food outlets.

Closest accommodation would be Trinity Links Resort and Apartments, Ingenia Holidays Cairns Coconut and Cairns Gateway Resort. White Rock is at the Southern reaches of Cairns, approximately a 10 minute drive from the CBD.

ER
25-05-2021, 07:54 PM
thank you!

strangerep
26-05-2021, 12:38 PM
I'm guessing Shaun is also busy with the 2021 Gold Coast Open this coming July. It's now listed on the CAQ website, and there's a flyer. But I don't yet see a thread for it in this forum, so I guess I'll go and start one.

redchess
22-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Is the flyer available yet? We're hoping to book flights and accommodation this week.

HAHAHAHA
23-06-2021, 03:09 AM
Is the flyer available yet? We're hoping to book flights and accommodation this week.

As a potential entry from Melbourne, I too am wanting to plan and book flights and accomodation
Any travel advice on the Cairns front regarding getting to and from venue to airport? Thanks in advance guys.

Afitz
23-06-2021, 07:28 AM
As a potential entry from Melbourne, I too am wanting to plan and book flights and accomodation
Any travel advice on the Cairns front regarding getting to and from venue to airport? Thanks in advance guys.

If you can do it, a hire car in Cairns is very useful....the venue is at the Southern end of Cairns, whilst most of the good restaurants and accommodation is in the CBD and the airport is to the North of the CBD. Alternatively, you can hire an uber or taxi to get there. Bus routes and stuff i'm not sure of, but I imagine there would be some available as it's a pretty major route and there is a bus stop out the front of the school.

The closest accommodation to Trinity Anglican School, White Rock Campus where the tournament will be held: Cairns Gateway Resort, Cairns New Chalon, White Rock Leisure Park, Trinity Links Resort, Ingenia Holiday Cairns.

redchess
23-06-2021, 09:21 AM
Last time we went we stayed at the Ingenia and walked to the tournament venue. We took a taxi from and to the airport.

Tony Dowden
24-06-2021, 06:12 PM
...the venue is at the Southern end of Cairns....Trinity Anglican School, White Rock Campus where the tournament will be held ...

Good to know. I had assumed it was Trinity Anglican School near Trinity Beach!

HAHAHAHA
25-06-2021, 09:00 PM
Last time we went we stayed at the Ingenia and walked to the tournament venue. We took a taxi from and to the airport.

Thanks Redchess, If you dont mind me asking, how much was the taxi/ how far is it one way? Is there a bus alternative down the highway?. Thanks again to those who have responded with advice.

Afitz
26-06-2021, 08:57 AM
Thanks Redchess, If you dont mind me asking, how much was the taxi/ how far is it one way? Is there a bus alternative down the highway?. Thanks again to those who have responded with advice.

For buses: https://translink.com.au/cairns
For taxis: https://www.taxifare.com.au/

redchess
26-06-2021, 09:22 AM
I think a taxi is about $45 - $50 from the airport

ER
26-06-2021, 10:27 AM
The whole thing particularly with the Covid-19 restriction fluctuations looks very uncertain to me.
So, I am giving the 2021 Queensland Open - Cairns a miss

I think a taxi is about $45 - $50 from the airport

Correct. In my case from Cairns to the airport it was a pre-agreed $50.00 fare!

From the airport to Cairns I used the shuttle bus with a return ticket.

On the way back the shuttle just didn't turn up (!!!)!
After a couple of frantic phone calls from the hotel the first response was "they're on the way"
and the second "Look we can't do the trip for one person only, we'll reimburse you"!
Very dodgy business, thank God the taxi driver who arrived at once after the call from the hotel, took me to the airport just on time for the flight.

Tony Dowden
13-07-2021, 08:59 PM
The tournament is definitely going ahead at Trinity Anglican School, White Rock Campus, August 14th & 15th.

There has been some delay in terms of finalising sponsors and flyer etc. due to personal reasons. I can confirm the event is going ahead on the advertised dates.

Any update on this event which is due to take place in one month?

ER
13-07-2021, 10:38 PM
Any update on this event which is due to take place in one month?

tricky situation, expecting announcement sooner rather than later.

Gattaca
14-07-2021, 01:44 AM
Unfortunately due to uncertainties surrounding Covid I don't think it is likely that Jean or myself will be playing in this now. :(

Tony Dowden
14-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear Guy and Jean, but not a surprise. Let's hope for another opportunity to meet up further down the track!

Tony Dowden
25-07-2021, 08:18 PM
... If you are interested in this tournament please get in touch via email: scurtis@gardinerchess.com.au

The word at the Wendy Terry Memorial event this weekend was that the Queensland Open in Cairns will still go ahead and, as Shaun has said before (see quote), email him if you intend to play.

strangerep
26-07-2021, 05:55 PM
The word at the Wendy Terry Memorial event this weekend was that the Queensland Open in Cairns will still go ahead
It might help if a flyer were produced, and/or a bit more information about the tournament structure. E.g., are there rating divisions?
And will players have to sit on kiddie-sized chairs like at Grace Lutheran?

Also, a list of current entrants?

Tony Dowden
28-07-2021, 02:46 PM
It might help if a flyer were produced, and/or a bit more information about the tournament structure. E.g., are there rating divisions?
And will players have to sit on kiddie-sized chairs like at Grace Lutheran?

Also, a list of current entrants?

Shaun can probably assist with your various queries.

Incidentally, I have had never had any trouble finding adult-sized chairs to sit on at the many events I've played in at Grace Lutheran (Rothwell, Brisbane).

Patrick Byrom
31-07-2021, 09:32 AM
And will players have to sit on kiddie-sized chairs like at Grace Lutheran? Also, a list of current entrants?I've never found the chairs at Grace Lutheran College - which is a secondary school - to be a problem. But I hope that Shaun can produce a flyer for this event soon, so that it can be placed on the CAQ website, and so that clubs can promote this event.

Garvinator
02-08-2021, 03:27 PM
I've never found the chairs at Grace Lutheran College - which is a secondary school - to be a problem. But I hope that Shaun can produce a flyer for this event soon, so that it can be placed on the CAQ website, and so that clubs can promote this event.

With the SEQ lockdown being extended till Sunday 8th August 4pm, at least, surely this now means this event has to be postponed.

Tony Dowden
02-08-2021, 05:29 PM
With the SEQ lockdown being extended till Sunday 8th August 4pm, at least, surely this now means this event has to be postponed.
Why so? It is scheduled for the following weekend of Aug 14-15 and in a region 1500 km away from the SEQ lockdown!

MichaelBaron
02-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Why so? It is scheduled for the following weekend of Aug 14-15 and in a region 1500 km away from the SEQ lockdown!

Luckily Queensland is not Victoria where entire state goes into each and every lockdown ...even with zero cases nearby!

Patrick Byrom
02-08-2021, 10:19 PM
Luckily Queensland is not Victoria where entire state goes into each and every lockdown ...even with zero cases nearby!Qld is a little more spread out than Victoria. Good for avoiding covid :) but not so good for chess :(

Shaun94
03-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately due to the growing risk throughout Queensland including arbiters etc. Travelling from SEQ we are forced to postpone the Queensland Open indefinitely.

iSage
03-08-2021, 03:37 PM
QLD Health just announced a Covid-19 case in Cairns

Tony Dowden
03-08-2021, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately due to the growing risk throughout Queensland including arbiters etc. Travelling from SEQ we are forced to postpone the Queensland Open indefinitely.

Commiserations. Thank you to you and the other organisers for all your hard work.