PDA

View Full Version : Acf Medals

Trent Parker
11-01-2005, 06:30 AM
OK.. who won them..... and what were their reactions?

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
The Medal winners were as follows:

Steiner Medal: Gary Lane
Purdy Medal : Paul Broekhuyse
Koshnitsky Medal: Bill Gletsos

ursogr8
11-01-2005, 09:35 AM
The Medal winners were as follows:

Steiner Medal: Gary Lane
Purdy Medal : Paul Broekhuyse
Koshnitsky Medal: Bill Gletsos

Well done Bill.
A nice recognition, and well deserved. :clap:

regards
starter

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Well done Bill.
A nice recognition, and well deserved. :clap:

regards
starter
Thanks starter.

Libby
11-01-2005, 12:52 PM
The Punters Club recognizes Libby's entry
to page 1 of the HIGH-posters screen.
Well done.

Thank you I'm sure. Imagine some are not celebrating & finding me a little tiresome :cool:

Anyway, bound to be about a lot whilst Mt Buller is on - I shall afterwards disappear quietly back into my cave.

BTW Bill - you failed to completely address the question! You have the best possible opportunity to reveal just what was your reaction to receiving the award!

Congratulations anyway :clap:

Bill Gletsos
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
BTW Bill - you failed to completely address the question! You have the best possible opportunity to reveal just what was your reaction to receiving the award!
I was taken completely by surprise when Denis presented it to me last Thursday.
I assume the other recipients reacted the same.

As far as I know the nominees for the various medals are unaware they have even been nominated.
In fact even now I still have no idea who nominated me.

Libby
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
I was taken completely by surprise when Denis presented it to me last Thursday.
I assume the other recipients reacted the same.

As far as I know the nominees for the various medals are unaware they have even been nominated.
In fact even now I still have no idea who nominated me.

Well that's nice. The cat often escapes the bag with these sorts of things. It's much better to be taken by surprise. Also doesn't give the "shrinking violet" types the opportunity to wiggle out of attending their presentation.

You may not know who nominated you but I trust you managed to thank God, the Academy, your first chess coach, your friends on the BB ... ;)

ursogr8
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
The Punters Club recognizes Libby's entry
to page 1 of the HIGH-posters screen.
Well done.

- I shall afterwards disappear quietly back into my cave.

Baz, you there?

Now the word that comes to mind from Libby's comment is 'troglodyte'.
Do you happen to know the feminine form of 'troglodyte'? Just curious.

starter

Libby
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Baz, you there?

starter

I was thinking "bat" personally - "old bat" to special friends (as I pluck the grey hairs out).

Sadly - 1st round loss for mine in Mt Buller, something about a capture with the wrong pawn ... :(

Rincewind
11-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Baz, you there?

I'm always here.

Not aware that there is one. Troglodyte derives from the Greek name of a group of people who lived in present day Ethiopia. It comes from trogle meaning "hole" and I imagine these people typically lived in caves.

Libby
11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm always here.

Not aware that there is one. Troglodyte derives from the Greek name of a group of people who lived in present day Ethiopia. It comes from trogle meaning "hole" and I imagine these people typically lived in caves.

I feel so much better now. You must be esteemed if you can be sledged ;)

antichrist
11-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Bill,
Also congratulations for doing a top job and copping a flack from people who don't know better. There is no substitute for hard work.

Rincewind
11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I feel so much better now. You must be esteemed if you can be sledged ;)

I'm sure Starter was not intending the term be taken as sledging. I word has been spoiled for me as I can't us it without thinking of the song "Wild Thing". That gets me thinking about Jimi Hendrix and it's all down-hill from there. ;)

Libby
11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm sure Starter was not intending the term be taken as sledging. I word has been spoiled for me as I can't us it without thinking of the song "Wild Thing". That gets me thinking about Jimi Hendrix and it's all down-hill from there. ;)

There is something of a sledge there - if anyone is seeking to identify the cave-dweller I could be identified as. Don't spoil the moment for me. Takes me back to when I got to be one of the guys because I was the only girl in the office talking footy (proper footy - AFL) & cricket - not to mention belting them about playing mixed indoor cricket & mixed netball.

These days I'm just slapping down those polite children who look at me as the equivalent of their mother and want to call me "Mrs Smith." Quite discomfiting. A troglodyte can seem like a real step up. :owned:

ursogr8
11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
There is something of a sledge there - if anyone is seeking to identify the cave-dweller I could be identified as. Don't spoil the moment for me. Takes me back to when I got to be one of the guys because I was the only girl in the office talking footy (proper footy - AFL) & cricket - not to mention belting them about playing mixed indoor cricket & mixed netball.

These days I'm just slapping down those polite children who look at me as the equivalent of their mother and want to call me "Mrs Smith." Quite discomfiting. A troglodyte can seem like a real step up. :owned:

hi Libby

I will be quite honest here :uhoh: :uhoh: .
There was no sledge intended.
You did not need one.

But on another thread I did nominate you for my appreciated post of the year (the stuff about registering chess as a sport).

So, as for your gain in esteem from sledging, just remember the sporting cliche; "take it one triumph at a time".

^^ Now, that is a sledge.

regards
starter

Trent Parker
12-01-2005, 09:12 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats Bill!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So.... Are the nominees for the prizes publicized?

What did GL do to receive the Steiner Medal?

Paul S
12-01-2005, 11:41 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Bill

Well done on your Koshnitsky medal!

Although we disagree on some chess admin issues, IMHO you have made a significant contribution towards Australian chess administration (especially with the Ratings - you have done a great job with the Ratings) over many years and that you fully deserve your Koshnitsky medal!

Cat
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Hi Bill

Well done on your Koshnitsky medal!

Yes alright already, but what I want to know is how come Matt didn't get a medal? That guy has bled for chess, he's faced persecution, crucifiction, vilification and ex-communication, yet he was still at Mt Buller holding the side up.

So Matt, come the resurrection, you shall be recieving the Dave Richards Cross in recognition of the suffering and pain you have endured to set your people free from things, whatever.

ursogr8
12-01-2005, 02:11 PM
^
Must be the day for fine humourous posts. First, Ian Rout's Drawcard CARD; and now the Doc'DR's 'fish-of-the-day'.

Kevin Bonham
12-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Gary was present at Mt B to receive his medal (think he showed up either on the last day of the Open or the second last) so I would assume that he had some idea it was coming. Unless he had showed up early for some coaching for the Junior or something like that.

Cat
30-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Matt,

Congratulations, you have won the Dave Richards Cross for having the most resurrections in history and for being annoying. Please pm me your mailing address so I can send out the pidgeons.

jenni
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Gary was present at Mt B to receive his medal (think he showed up either on the last day of the Open or the second last) so I would assume that he had some idea it was coming. Unless he had showed up early for some coaching for the Junior or something like that.

Gary was coaching our kids and so he travelled up to Mt Buller with us. We arrived on the last day of the Open (only just in time for prize-giving actually). We had timed it to give the kids a day to settle in before the juniors, so it really was just coincidence that Gary was there. If he knew it was going to be presented he certainly didn't give us any indication when we decided to do some touristy things en route, which nearly resulted in him missing prize-giving.

Rhubarb
12-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Bill, may I add my congratulations. You fully deserve the Kosh Medal for your many years work on the rating system alone.

Meanwhile, Paul B and Gary Lane are also most worthy recipients for the Purdy and Steiner Medals, respectively.

Bill Gletsos
12-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Bill, may I add my congratulations. You fully deserve the Kosh Medal for your many years work on the rating system alone.

Meanwhile, Paul B and Gary Lane are also most worthy recipients for the Purdy and Steiner Medals, respectively.
Thanks for the kind words Greg, not only for me but also for Paul B and Gary.
Like me, I'm sure they appreciate them.