PDA

View Full Version : Elena Sedina!

Leonid Sandler
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Its looks like that Sedina will at least share first place in the Open-a remarkable achivement.This is an excellent example for aussie girls.

jenni
08-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Its looks like that Sedina will at least share first place in the Open-a remarkable achivement.This is an excellent example for aussie girls.

Definitely! :clap:

Axiom
08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
well done sedina! - for precipitating a wake up call to australian chess..........with due respect, this is just the psyche jarring outcome that oz chess needs,........suitably chastened, well done..........i hope sedina is the new role model for female chessplayers in australia, her poster should be in every chess club in australia

Trent Parker
08-01-2005, 11:40 PM
And to think that she wouldn't even be here if it hadn't been for the Mercure!

WhiteElephant
09-01-2005, 12:11 AM
And to think that she wouldn't even be here if it hadn't been for the Mercure!

Hey with all the free advertising you're doing you should charge the Mercure a commission :)

PhilD707
09-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes Leonid - she is looking good right now but she must avoid a loss today otherwise obviously D'Amore will leapfrog into the title along with possibly Kengis and/or Hecht.

No matter what happens you have to admire the way she has played.
Against Zveveniouk she fould a superb winning combination.
In the miniature against Ralph Jackson she offered 4 sacrifices in 4 successive moves! ( pawn, bishop,knight and bishop).
Against Domagoj it was a object lesson converting a superior minor piece ending to a win.
She fought her way back out of a ditch to annihilate Arlandi who was clearly better out of the opening.
Hecht blundered a Knight but he was worse anyway and against Johansen she found a neat little device to force a draw.
:clap:
To rephrase an earlier question though ...
Has an Australian championship been won before by a female??
Can't have happened too many time if ever?

Libby
09-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Yes Leonid - she is looking good right now but she must avoid a loss today otherwise obviously D'Amore will leapfrog into the title along with possibly Kengis and/or Hecht.

No matter what happens you have to admire the way she has played.
Against Zveveniouk she fould a superb winning combination.
In the miniature against Ralph Jackson she offered 4 sacrifices in 4 successive moves! ( pawn, bishop,knight and bishop).
Against Domagoj it was a object lesson converting a superior minor piece ending to a win.
She fought her way back out of a ditch to annihilate Arlandi who was clearly better out of the opening.
Hecht blundered a Knight but he was worse anyway and against Johansen she found a neat little device to force a draw.
To rephrase an earlier question though ...
Has an Australian championship been won before by a female??
Can't have happened too many time if ever?

It's probably the best angle through which to get some publicity for the result It's great to have international players in your field but much easier to sell the story to the papers with an Aussie angle. It's difficult to present chess to the non-chess media when the premier Aussie event does not feature (or may not feature) an Australian in the placings. Perpetuates the idea that it is still a token activity here, only really played by Europeans.

And no, I'm not criticising the inclusion of overseas players or even the performance of Aussie players - just making an observation. In the ACT we attract most media interest for females, very young players (U8s), national titles and school chess.

Leonid Sandler
09-01-2005, 04:25 PM
It looks like that Kengis will not win and Hecht also will not win which means that first time in history of Open female will win the tournament!

PhilD707
09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
It looks like that Kengis will not win and Hecht also will not win which means that first time in history of Open female will win the tournament!

Hmmmm ....
Brave call - Hecht is struggling for sure but the Johansen Kengis game has a lot of play left.
Darryl has a pawn on a7 but what are its career prospects??

Bill Gletsos
09-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Hmmmm ....
Brave call - Hecht is struggling for sure but the Johansen Kengis game has a lot of play left.
I'm not sure Darryl's idea of running his King to d1 was so good but Kengis threw away any slight advantage he had with 29. d3 and handed the advantage to Darryl with 30. Kh6.

Trent Parker
09-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey with all the free advertising you're doing you should charge the Mercure a commission :)

Sorry... I get carried away sometimes..... :uhoh: :uhoh: :buttkick:

Rincewind
09-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Hmmmm ....

Brave, perhaps, but prophetic.

To the victor as they say go the spoils. Elena Sedina AFAIK the first woman to win the Australian Open outright. :clap:

Also well played to all the competitors including ChessChat regular Ascaro Pecori finishing in the top 9 of a strong field. :clap:

eclectic
10-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Brave, perhaps, but prophetic.

To the victor as they say go the spoils. Elena Sedina AFAIK the first woman to win the Australian Open outright. :clap:

Also well played to all the competitors including ChessChat regular Ascaro Pecori finishing in the top 9 of a strong field. :clap:

So does she, by virtue of winning the Open, get invited to participate in the next Australian (Closed?) Championship or is that privilege only for a winning Australian?

Mark

pax
10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
So does she, by virtue of winning the Open, get invited to participate in the next Australian (Closed?) Championship or is that privilege only for a winning Australian?

Mark

I think you have to be Australian or Australian resident at least to play the Championship.

shaun
10-01-2005, 08:25 AM

Mark

No, as there is no privileges attached to winning the Australian Open (apart from money/trophy).

eclectic
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
No, as there is no privileges attached to winning the Australian Open (apart from money/trophy).

Thanks Shaun and Pax,

I was under the obviously misinformed impression that the winner of the Australian Open did qualify for the next Australian Championship provided they were a citizen or a resident.

I suppose Ms Sedina could be invited under the "four foreign players of at least 2200 strength" rule what with all this talk about her being an inspiration to up and coming female players.

Did anyone take the trouble to ask her if she might wish to be considered as a possible entrant under those provisions?

However, to be fair, she may already have other committments this time next year.

Mark.

Bill Gletsos
10-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks Shaun and Pax,

I was under the obviously misinformed impression that the winner of the Australian Open did qualify for the next Australian Championship provided they were a citizen or a resident.

I suppose Ms Sedina could be invited under the "four foreign players of at least 2200 strength" rule what with all this talk about her being an inspiration to up and coming female players.
There is no such rule as that.
The relevant part of By-Law 1 is:
. (i) a person, not being an Australian citizen or a person with permanent
resident status under the Migration Act 1958 (Cwth), who has a rating of at
least 2250 on the most recent FIDE rating list and who has played at least
20 ACF-rated games in the two years before entries close for the Australian
Championship;

Leonid Sandler
10-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Hello guys
Just let you know that ms Sedina after short well deserved break will be giving lessons to our juniors during Australian junior champonship.Tomorrow night she will be at Mt.Buller.May be some of you guys will be interested?!

Libby
10-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Hello guys
Just let you know that ms Sedina after short well deserved break will be giving lessons to our juniors during Australian junior champonship.Tomorrow night she will be at Mt.Buller.May be some of you guys will be interested?!

A fantastic opportunity, particularly following her win in the Open. I hope those permitted to spend time with her will learn a lot.

I understand that the funding for this has come from some special sponsored niche. I still think it is a shame that it cannot, in part, be an opportunity for every child at the Aus Junior to join in a big forum, Q & A, simul, or just opportunity to hear from these top players when we do see them. An opportunity for all to be inspired rather than an individual's opportunity to run through a particular line they want to play.

I think it would be a great, positive, enhancement to include the possibility of one or two, broad-based sessions (ie all invited, or 20 places made available or whatever is practical) rather than a narrow focus on part of the group (those staying at the Mercure). As many have their own coaching arrangements with state or private groups already, it is open to a fantastic resource being underutilised. By all means, keep the private stuff exclusive to your "proper" entrants but consider incorporating other ideas if that is within the scope of your international visitors?

I do understand that the organisers and sponsor have chosen things to be this way. But what will ultimately reflect best on the whole tournament?

PhilD707
10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
I have to say that I have been very impressed by Elena Sedina's achievement at Mt. Buller, and in particular by her uncompromising and imaginative Chess style.
There is an overview of her path to victory on the Burnie Chess page together with the PGN of her games, (with some Fritz8 analysis), in rounds 3-11 as a download.