PDA

View Full Version : Drop Your Dropbox Folders Here --- or any other place you prefer.

blackbishop
28-09-2020, 09:17 AM
Attention ER, Antichrist and other stalwarts of Chess Chat. Drop your Dropboxes, full of scanned magazines, full of Australian Chess history, here.

Drop 1: Chess World magazines provided courtesy of Mark Stokes, CAQ President.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/psa1f0zprzzkkp3/AAByxppeliwRvhLUC1fjaiIPa?dl=0

Drop 2: Two of Bernie Johnson’s “Chess in Australia” magazines have been provided courtesy of Tony Weller.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxxm2upv3ffpwqq/AABLy6CaKeSmSLe4hgy2FaH5a?dl=0

blackbishop
30-09-2020, 12:02 PM
I have decided to insult the chess community on a monthly basis until someone
undertakes some scanning of Australian national chess magazines or State Chess Association newsletters
or magazines and makes them available to others.

From around 1950, when Trove stopped scanning a range of newspaper chess columns to 2004, when Chess Chat began, are the Chess Dark Ages.
The best source of information about those years resides in the magazines and newsletters and a few books produced during that period.

As there is something of a backlog insult wise, this month I begin with the three best insults made available by Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-top-3-chess-insults

jammo
30-09-2020, 07:00 PM
I have decided to insult the chess community on a monthly basis until someone
undertakes some scanning of Australian national chess magazines or State Chess Association newsletters
or magazines and makes them available to others.

From around 1950, when Trove stopped scanning a range of newspaper chess columns to 2004, when Chess Chat began, are the Chess Dark Ages.
The best source of information about those years resides in the magazines and newsletters and a few books produced during that period.

As there is something of a backlog insult wise, this month I begin with the three best insults made available by Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-top-3-chess-insults

I’m struggling to understand exactly what the problem is that you are attempting to solve. Admittedly I did play most of my chess in the “Chess Dark Ages” period that you have identified and it would be a shame if the records of this period were lost. If only someone who played in this period had collected all the chess books, bulletins, magazines and newspaper columns from this period.....

b.nancarrow
30-09-2020, 07:51 PM
I’m struggling to understand exactly what the problem is that you are attempting to solve. Admittedly I did play most of my chess in the “Chess Dark Ages” period that you have identified and it would be a shame if the records of this period were lost. If only someone who played in this period had collected all the chess books, bulletins, magazines and newspaper columns from this period.....

Hahahaha :lol:

blackbishop
01-10-2020, 07:17 AM
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.

“So things began to pall for him. The merry smiles he used to wear at other people's funerals began to fade. He began to despise the Universe in general, and everybody in it in particular.
This was the point at which he conceived his purpose, the thing that would drive him on, and which, as far as he could see, would drive him on forever. It was this:
He would insult the Universe.
That is, he would insult everybody in it. Individually, personally, one by one, and (this was the thing he really decided to grit his teeth over) in Alphabetical Order.”

Covid restrictions prevent me from making personal visits but I do have access to the ACF Master file.

blackbishop
01-10-2020, 01:33 PM
In 2004, Chess Chat began. It provides an invaluable service to chess players, disseminating news
about upcoming events and maintaining an ongoing record or chess history and allowing people to share information and opinions.

Can we assume that the people maintaining Chess Chat will be content to maintain the site indefinitely and that the site will be financed indefinitely?

ER
01-10-2020, 05:55 PM
In 2004, Chess Chat began. It provides an invaluable service to chess players, disseminating news
about upcoming events and maintaining an ongoing record or chess history and allowing people to share information and opinions.

Unfortunately, it has also become a platform for some (a small minority thank God) to promote their political agenda!
Their contribution to chess threads varies from infinitesimal to non existent.

Can we assume that the people maintaining Chess Chat will be content to maintain the site indefinitely and that the site will be financed indefinitely?

Question - rhetorical or not - of the year!
Money matters!
The people who maintain, administer and moderate this forum are worthy of our wholehearted thanks and congratulations!
IMH This site should sooner of later become professional as in attracting advertisements from chess/non chess sources.
I have seen sites much less important and much less popular (in terms of membership and content of information, history etc attracting permanent and temporary paid ads and promotions.

A poll, inquiring the willingness of present Chess Chat membership to accept / reject such a move could be useful just to test the general feeling.
Another and in fact the most important part of this mini-campaign could be the willingness of the existing administration,
responsible for maintaining, and moderating this forum to participate in such a move.
Another, also important aspect could be a more energetic encouragement (it's rather very subtle now) of the members to be more active in terms of contributing / assisting financially
toward expenses of keeping this site!

I am a man who doesn't hesitate to put his money where his mouth is. As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!

blackbishop
02-10-2020, 08:17 AM
"As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!"

How would one go about supporting Chess Chat financially?

blackbishop
02-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Jammo, International Chess Master, Australian Champion, former president etc of the ACF, Purdy and Koshnitsky medal winner, etc, etc yawn, is also a collector of chess books and magazines. It is remoured that he has the best collection of Australian stuff that ever was or ever can be.

Collectors are apparently a strange lot. They can be quite competitive its seems, chasing after some new acquisition and bidding against each other. “The thrill of the chase” to quote Bob Meadley. Understandable, a collector would have some difficulty in scanning any of the collection and distributing the scans as it might devalue, in various ways, the worth of the collection.

The Insult: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1510737

jammo
02-10-2020, 01:53 PM
Jammo, International Chess Master, Australian Champion, former president etc of the ACF, Purdy and Koshnitsky medal winner, etc, etc yawn, is also a collector of chess books and magazines. It is remoured that he has the best collection of Australian stuff that ever was or ever can be.

Collectors are apparently a strange lot. They can be quite competitive its seems, chasing after some new acquisition and bidding against each other. “The thrill of the chase” to quote Bob Meadley. Understandable, a collector would have some difficulty in scanning any of the collection and distributing the scans as it might devalue, in various ways, the worth of the collection.

The Insult: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1510737

Ahh .... I get it now. This thread is about insulting people. So let me have a go. “Blackbishop” .... I don’t know who he is but perhaps the last post gives us a clue. I had presumed that he was some Queensland guy who was good at inventing imaginary crises and then criticising people who did not agree with his proposed solution ..... all good harmless fun and some of his posts were interesting. I now realise that he is a delusional mind-reader who has deduced that the reason that I don’t rush out and immediately scan what, 50,000 pages of Australian chess material, is because that would devalue my chess collection. True, I have some spare time during the lock-down, but I prefer to spend that eating chocolate and playing masterful games on LiChess.

One wonders also what sort of mind believes that there is a crisis just because HE doesn’t have information about chess during the chess dark ages from 1950-2004. Perhaps some kindly soul should tell him about the M.V.Andersen Collection at the State Library of Victoria. If they can’t help then perhaps I can. I’ve recently, for example, been sending material about Doug Hamilton to a chess author in Spain who is writing a book on “The Australian Tal.” Should be a great read if you know Spanish. He currently wants me to send him the game Georghiu v Tabak from the 1970 Karlis Lidums Australian Open. I could go out to my garage and find the tournament bulletins but I think I’ll wait till someone from Queensland scans it and I can get it on-line. Any volunteers? Blackbishop perhaps?

blackbishop
02-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Was that Calin or Florin?

ER
02-10-2020, 03:48 PM
"As such I declare my wish to double my annual contribution to the Chess Chat. I know it's not much by itself;
however, it could be rather significant if other members followed my example!"

How would one go about supporting Chess Chat financially?

here's the way:

btw make sure that when you quote other people's text, include THEIR name in your quotations, not yours!!!
The way you did it (quoting yourself) is like you are offering to double your (non existent) contribution followed by asking
for information of how can one contribute. Doesn't make much sense does it?

blackbishop
02-10-2020, 04:51 PM
Thanks ER for the information regarding donations and subscriptions to Chess Chat. The information you
provided was posted in 2013, so perhaps a more up to date and prominent notice would produce more response.
I am happy to subscribe to Chess Chat and expect many other people would be happy to do so. Unlimited attachment space!
Sounds good to me.

ER
02-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Thanks ER for the information regarding donations and subscriptions to Chess Chat. The information you
provided was posted in 2013, so perhaps a more up to date and prominent notice would produce more response..

Info provided still remains relevant ... the boss doesn't post often, just when for necessary announcements.

blackbishop
02-10-2020, 05:27 PM
There is a Karlis Lidums Australian Open 1971 listed in Ozbase, the vast collection of Australian games available to all at:

http://www.ozbase.com.au/games.html

I could not connect to Ozbase for some reason today. The tournament was won by Lajos Portisch.

The games were; “Entered by P Dunn from the bulletins by B H Johnston and various Newspaper reports and Chess in Australia. Thanks to Ian Rogers and Mike Woodhams for Mike Woodhams games. There are some discrepancies between the reports in the bulletins and the reports in CIA which could not be resolved. The crosstable, therefore, may not be correct.”

Patrick Byrom
02-10-2020, 06:03 PM
There is a Karlis Lidums Australian Open 1971 listed in Ozbase, the vast collection of Australian games available to all at:

I could not connect to Ozbase for some reason today. The tournament was won by Lajos Portisch.

The games were; “Entered by P Dunn from the bulletins by B H Johnston and various Newspaper reports and Chess in Australia. Thanks to Ian Rogers and Mike Woodhams for Mike Woodhams games. There are some discrepancies between the reports in the bulletins and the reports in CIA which could not be resolved. The crosstable, therefore, may not be correct.”
This is the 1971 game:
[Event "Karlis Lidums AUS op"]
[Site "Adelaide"]
[Date "1971.01.17"]
[Round "1.4"]
[White "Tabak, David H"]
[Black "Gheorghiu, Florin"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B94"]
[PlyCount "78"]
[EventDate "1971.01.17"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "13"]
[EventCountry "AUS"]
[SourceDate "2012.10.13"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Bd7 7. f4 Nc6 8. Nf3
Qb6 9. Qd2 e6 10. O-O-O Ng4 11. f5 h6 12. Bf4 O-O-O 13. h3 Nge5 14. Be3 Qa5 15.
Qf2 Nxf3 16. Bb6 Qe5 17. Bxd8 Ng5 18. Bxg5 hxg5 19. Bd3 Qf4+ 20. Qd2 Be7 21.
Rhf1 Qe5 22. a3 Bf6 23. Rde1 Kb8 24. Nd1 Rc8 25. Kb1 Nd4 26. c3 Nb3 27. Qe2 g4
28. Bc2 Bb5 29. Bd3 Ba4 30. Ne3 Rxc3 31. Nc4 Qd4 32. bxc3 Qxc3 33. Nb2 Nd2+ 34.
Qxd2 Qxd2 35. Re2 Qc3 36. Rc1 Qxa3 37. Bc4 gxh3 38. gxh3 Bc6 39. Rcc2 Qxh3 0-1

jammo
02-10-2020, 08:08 PM
This is the 1971 game:
[Event "Karlis Lidums AUS op"]
[Site "Adelaide"]
[Date "1971.01.17"]
[Round "1.4"]
[White "Tabak, David H"]
[Black "Gheorghiu, Florin"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "B94"]
[PlyCount "78"]
[EventDate "1971.01.17"]
[EventType "swiss"]
[EventRounds "13"]
[EventCountry "AUS"]
[SourceDate "2012.10.13"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Bg5 Bd7 7. f4 Nc6 8. Nf3
Qb6 9. Qd2 e6 10. O-O-O Ng4 11. f5 h6 12. Bf4 O-O-O 13. h3 Nge5 14. Be3 Qa5 15.
Qf2 Nxf3 16. Bb6 Qe5 17. Bxd8 Ng5 18. Bxg5 hxg5 19. Bd3 Qf4+ 20. Qd2 Be7 21.
Rhf1 Qe5 22. a3 Bf6 23. Rde1 Kb8 24. Nd1 Rc8 25. Kb1 Nd4 26. c3 Nb3 27. Qe2 g4
28. Bc2 Bb5 29. Bd3 Ba4 30. Ne3 Rxc3 31. Nc4 Qd4 32. bxc3 Qxc3 33. Nb2 Nd2+ 34.
Qxd2 Qxd2 35. Re2 Qc3 36. Rc1 Qxa3 37. Bc4 gxh3 38. gxh3 Bc6 39. Rcc2 Qxh3 0-1

Congratulations on finding the missing game from the middle of the Chess Dark Ages period! Not a bad game either.

blackbishop
03-10-2020, 07:32 AM

Paul, sometime before 2004, took it upon himself to establish a database of Australian Chess Games which is now a valuable asset for all chess players. Paul seems to have added most of the games himself over the years with some help from notables such as I and C Rogers, R Jamieson, Bill Jordan, Shaun Press and others.

Below is a Chess Chat thread from 2005

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?1862-OzBase-Australian-games-collection!

Paul in 2009 assisted Bob Meadley to update the 4th edition of The Chess Literature of Australia and New Zealand by John van Manen.

Can anyone provide further information about Paul and Ozbase?

blackbishop
03-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Sorry to bother, uncle. Its just that you have all the magazines.

Regards,

Dewie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85f-9VlDz48

blackbishop
04-10-2020, 10:48 AM

blackbishop
05-10-2020, 10:13 AM
View or download

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ctz3zskx6kk39jp/AAAEGafBRmSKGvV9mLchx5_6a?dl=0

blackbishop
05-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Space was at a premium in the NCN which was mailed out to readers from Townsville in the late 1970s and 1980s.

You subscribed, paid your money, got CAQ membership and the newsletter. That formula resulted
in a chess club that peaked at around 250 members even if most of them were "Distance Members"

Since the file is too large to be uploaded directly into Chess Chat (400kbyte limit) I will upload it into my Dropbox
and it will hopefully appear below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/siuh5qyg5yfh8o6/Jamieson%20and%20Shaw.pdf?dl=0

blackbishop
06-10-2020, 09:22 AM
Given that you were a denizen of the Chess Dark Ages and that you were very active in chess administration as well as being a prominent player, I wonder if you could assist in finding more information about the chess work done by Ian Laurie.

Ian was awarded the Koshnitsky Medal in 1988 and is a Life Member of Chess Victoria. He won the Begonia Open in 1988 and appears to have participated in at least one Queensland Championship in which he was leading up until the last round. Part of his work involved rating chess tournaments using a program he wrote for the PC. He was probably a secretary of the Chess Association of Victoria and/or the ACF.

I have not been able to find out much more that this. I did email Chess Victoria but received the usual reply, that is, no reply. I would be grateful if you could shed some more light on Ian’s work.

If you can add any further information about your, or any other recipient of the Koshnitsky Medal’s work in chess that has not been properly covered in the Koshnitsky Medals file, I would be happy to update the file.

jammo
06-10-2020, 04:29 PM
Given that you were a denizen of the Chess Dark Ages and that you were very active in chess administration as well as being a prominent player, I wonder if you could assist in finding more information about the chess work done by Ian Laurie.

Ian was awarded the Koshnitsky Medal in 1988 and is a Life Member of Chess Victoria. He won the Begonia Open in 1988 and appears to have participated in at least one Queensland Championship in which he was leading up until the last round. Part of his work involved rating chess tournaments using a program he wrote for the PC. He was probably a secretary of the Chess Association of Victoria and/or the ACF.

I have not been able to find out much more that this. I did email Chess Victoria but received the usual reply, that is, no reply. I would be grateful if you could shed some more light on Ian’s work.

If you can add any further information about your, or any other recipient of the Koshnitsky Medal’s work in chess that has not been properly covered in the Koshnitsky Medals file, I would be happy to update the file.

The thing about being a chess historian is knowing where best to seek the information that you require. In the case of Ian Laurie the best person to ask is Gary Wastell who, in addition to probably being the ACF Medals Officer at the time, was the person who proposed Ian for life membership of the VCA. I believe Gary is still with us, indeed I saw him at a chess tournament only a few years ago. He may even still hold some office in the ACF, even if only an honorary position.

My own recollections of Ian’s chess contributions are somewhat hazy. He may have been ACF Ratings Co-ordination in the early 1980s and VCA Vice-President for a couple of years as well as Registrar. I can remember opposing his Life Membership on the grounds that such awards usually recognised service in a high office for a long period of time, as opposed to someone who was a good chap and helped pack up after tournaments. Yes, he was originally from Queensland I believe, but we should not hold that against him.

blackbishop
06-10-2020, 05:04 PM
I contacted Gary by phone after the end of the ACF Medal awards, in January this year. He had not seen Ian for years but
may have found out something more by now. I might try contacting him again.

Jammo, how would you feel about renting out your garage for a year or maybe two? I have been practising sleeping vertically using a harness.
Is there a power point in your garage? I have solar panels and a twelve volt battery to power my laptop but the scanner could be a problem.
You would not know I was there apart from the noise of the scanner. I can learn Spanish!

Is there a car?

I am not a chess historian.

blackbishop
07-10-2020, 07:44 AM
I share Jammo’s misgivings about Queenslanders.

When I was a kid in the days of inkwells and Ink Monitors rather than laptops, I attended Ormond State School which is safely situated well inside the Victorian border. One day, a Queensland kid turned up. He was a weird kid who put the word “but” at the end of every sentence.

“I am going to the shops but.” “Eight and five make twelve but” “Get lost or I’ll give you a headbutt.”

He left the school after a few months but I met him again when our school played his new school at Australian Rules football. He turned out to be their team captain. We lost.

I have to be careful here not to stray to far from the topic of this thread which is to encourage people to scan some of their old magazines and to insult those people who don’t. That is, Queenslanders and everyone else.

blackbishop
07-10-2020, 11:38 AM
In the Dropbox account below are downloadable, viewable scans of the CAQ magazine brought to you courtesy of Tony Weller.
There are many magazines and years that have not yet been scanned.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mwsmlq69r1b9cm6/AABWIueBPmUOR0hGepe1t8EIa?dl=0

blackbishop
08-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Someone was not afraid to do a bit of scanning.

Australasian Chess (2008-2013)
Australian Chess (2003-2007)
Australian Chess Forum (1996-2002)
Australian Chess Problem Magazine (1992-1997)
Chess in Australia (1969-1992)
The Australian Problemist (1962-1964)
Chess World (1946-1967)
Check! (1944-1945)
The Australasian Chess Review (1929-1944)
Australasian Chess Magazine (1919-1920)

https://www.ozproblems.com/archives/magazines-columns

ER
08-10-2020, 09:59 PM

I only did one page! I promise I will improve though OK don't hold your breath! :D :P

blackbishop
09-10-2020, 10:24 AM
( I wrote the heading above all in capital letters on a word processor. Apparently the capitals were converted when pasted into Chess Chat. The headings cannot be edited, unlike the body of a post )

Terrey was born in Sydney on Oct-12-1946 and died Dec-05-1997, 51 years old.

He tied for 1st place in the Australian Championship of 1977-78 but lost to Robert Jamieson in the subsequent play-off. He was a regular member of the Olympiad Team and was awarded the IM title in 1981.

There are tributes to Terrey in Kibitzer’s Corner under a collection of his games at:

https://www.chessgames.com/player/terrey_ian_shaw

I have not found a good article about Terrey to provide here but I did locate in Trove some examples of Terrey’s chess column in The Bulletin magazine beginning in September 1981. Those below are the only examples that I can find. Terrey promoted the STD competition that the Townsville Club ran. He was a friend of John Gray of the Townsville club.

29 Sept 1981 pages 81 and 83

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1240384507/view?sectionId=nla.obj1569028655&partId=nla.obj-1240476833#page/n80/mode/1up

21 Sept 1982. page 131

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1361835985/view?sectionId=nla.obj1631531382&partId=nla.obj-1362183446#page/n130/mode/1up

27 Sept 1983 page 147

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1401709523/view?sectionId=nla.obj1639939291&partId=nla.obj-1401746042#page/n145/mode/1up

21 Feb 1984 page 107
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1315450533/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1607477217&partId=nla.obj-1315615567#page/n106/mode/1up

blackbishop
09-10-2020, 10:49 AM

I only did one page! I promise I will improve though OK don't hold your breath! :D :P

An article about Terrey apparently appeared in the Dec 1971 issue of Chess In Australia of which ER has kindly posted the front cover. I look forward to reading the article as I found it difficult to get information about Terry.

A Drop Box would be needed to house and post the entire magazine. As ER may not have a Dropbox and may not want to get one, I will contact him using the Chess Chat private mail facility and give him my email address for him to send me the scanned magazine for posting on my Dropbox for the benefit of all Chess Chatterers. If we had a few more people like ER we would soon lift the darkness of the Chess Dark Ages.

I will now take a deep breath.

blackbishop
10-10-2020, 10:26 AM
The New Zealand Chess Association has, in the Magazines section of their website, provided chess players with access to some two hundred and eighty-five scanned NZ chess magazines dating from 1938 to 2018.

https://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/nzchessmag-2010s.html

“Thanks to Philip Hair for labour and Michael Freeman for funding.”

Here is a suggestion; there is quite a bit of Australian stuff in the New Zealand magazines. Articles about Rogers, Purdy, Koshnitsky, Craig Laird etc as well as information about tournaments in which players from both nations participated.

Why not just put a link to the New Zealand archive on the ACF website. That way we don’t have to scan nuthin and it won’t cost us a bean.

blackbishop
11-10-2020, 09:46 AM
The Americans have scanned some nine hundred of their chess magazines and made them available online.

Chess Review and Chess Life Archives

https://new.uschess.org/chess-life-digital-archives

How does this compare with the Australian system with which I am not familiar? Does it involve first going to Melbourne, visiting the State Library of Victoria, filling in a request form then waiting for someone to scurry off to a warehouse where the items are kept. I suppose I would have to quarantine for fourteen days on my return, assuming that they let me back into Queensland.

Perhaps I can stay at home, request an item to be scanned by the library, pay the storage and scanning costs then receive the pdf via email. Could I then share the pdf on Chess Chat or has copyright been ceded to the library on donation of the item to the library?

I think that Jammo’s idea of donating his impressive collection of books to the library makes sense but it would better preserve chess history, including Jammo’s legacy, if the magazines were scanned first.

Is there anyone alive at Chess Victoria?

jammo
11-10-2020, 12:15 PM
The Americans have scanned some nine hundred of their chess magazines and made them available online.

Chess Review and Chess Life Archives

https://new.uschess.org/chess-life-digital-archives

How does this compare with the Australian system with which I am not familiar? Does it involve first going to Melbourne, visiting the State Library of Victoria, filling in a request form then waiting for someone to scurry off to a warehouse where the items are kept. I suppose I would have to quarantine for fourteen days on my return, assuming that they let me back into Queensland.

Perhaps I can stay at home, request an item to be scanned by the library, pay the storage and scanning costs then receive the pdf via email. Could I then share the pdf on Chess Chat or has copyright been ceded to the library on donation of the item to the library?

I think that Jammo’s idea of donating his impressive collection of books to the library makes sense but it would better preserve chess history, including Jammo’s legacy, if the magazines were scanned first.

Is there anyone alive at Chess Victoria?

As usual, some really great ideas from Blackbishop. There are however a few problems. The USCF has its own office and staff which, alas, Australia does not. Maybe he can persuade some of them to move to Australia to start his scanning project?

The alternative of course is that Blackbishop buys a scanner and moves to Ballarat (when most of the MVA Collection is stored) and spends the next 10 years or so scanning. I’m sure we would all be very appreciative.

I get the impression that Blackbishop must be very young and must be from the internet generation which expects that all information should be available to him immediately or else it is a crisis. I’m from the generation which saw the crisis as information being lost to posterity hence the first task was to collect/save it for future generations.

“Is there anyone alive at Chess Victoria?” My guess is that they are all hibernating, although I occasionally hear mention of Leonid Sandler doing something, but I have no idea if anyone else is involved or who they might be. The ACF has a much better system of appointing office-bearers for life so you know who they are and when one of them dies you see his funeral notice and can then leap into action and appoint a replacement.

blackbishop
11-10-2020, 01:34 PM
As usual, some really great ideas from Blackbishop. There are however a few problems. The USCF has its own office and staff which, alas, Australia does not. Maybe he can persuade some of them to move to Australia to start his scanning project?

The alternative of course is that Blackbishop buys a scanner and moves to Ballarat (when most of the MVA Collection is stored) and spends the next 10 years or so scanning. I’m sure we would all be very appreciative.

I get the impression that Blackbishop must be very young and must be from the internet generation which expects that all information should be available to him immediately or else it is a crisis. I’m from the generation which saw the crisis as information being lost to posterity hence the first task was to collect/save it for future generations.

“Is there anyone alive at Chess Victoria?” My guess is that they are all hibernating, although I occasionally hear mention of Leonid Sandler doing something, but I have no idea if anyone else is involved or who they might be. The ACF has a much better system of appointing office-bearers for life so you know who they are and when one of them dies you see his funeral notice and can then leap into action and appoint a replacement.

Congratulations on not being quite so abusive this time, You must be maturing as you age. But junior, I am quite a bit older than you and I do possess a scanner all of which should have been obvious from previous posts.
You have not enlightened me concerning my questions about the SLV. Also, what is the MVA Collection?

Bill Gletsos
11-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Also, what is the MVA Collection?Perhaps you need to reread your own post here (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17974-Australian-chess-history-and-publications-(misc-)&p=462736&viewfull=1#post462736)

blackbishop
11-10-2020, 03:50 PM
The M.V. Anderson Chess Collection held at State Library Victoria (Melbourne, Australia) is the largest public chess collection in the Southern hemisphere. This contains in excess of 12,000 books and many journal and newsletter titles.

So, I would have made it to Melbourne and found that I should have been in Ballarat. Confusing for an old guy.

blackbishop
12-10-2020, 10:24 AM
Searching for “The Bulletin Magazine” instead of “Terrey Shore Chess Column” on Trove produced many more articles by Terrey. Just about all of them, I think. Below are links to some of his articles from 1982.

February 9 1982 Page 107 Belyavsky

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1310339437/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1601482765&partId=nla.obj-1310398454#page/n105/mode/1up

March 23 1982 Page 131 Mikhail Tal
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1444899775/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1652797725&partId=nla.obj-1444900497#page/n129/mode/1up

May 25 1982 Page 123 A Display of Dutch Courage. Timman

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1444919889/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1647487384&partId=nla.obj-1444936158#page/n121/mode/1up

June 8 1982 page 131 Doug Hamilton v Pat Halpin

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1311136186/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1604685801&partId=nla.obj-1311279278#page/n130/mode/1up

September 14 1982 Page 131 The Power of the Clergy

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1361087094/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1631033271&partId=nla.obj-1361887217#page/n130/mode/1up

September 21 1982 Page 131 A Whirlwind in the North.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1361835985/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1631527522&partId=nla.obj-1362182762#page/n129/mode/1up

September 28 1982 Page 155 Nineteen Year Old Greg Hjorth

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1445016463/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1647572921&partId=nla.obj-1445050005#page/n153/mode/1up

blackbishop
12-10-2020, 06:08 PM
March 8 1983 Page 107 Anne Martin and the Women’s Olympiad Team.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1401699512/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1639383589&partId=nla.obj-1401713628#page/n106/mode/1up

March 29 1983 Page 131 The Caro Kann. A Short Arm Defence

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1311566785/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1604921050&partId=nla .obj-1311649907#page/n130/mode/1up

April 5 1983 Page 147 The Sleeping Giant Awakens

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1248743470/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1574078137&partId=nla.obj-1248910577#page/n146/mode/1up

June 7 1983 page 131 The Case of the Pitiful Prelate

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1314371540/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1607251587&partId=nla.obj-1314415955#page/n130/mode/1up

November 15 1983 page 139 Byrne v Fischer

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1401725531/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1639478074&partId=nla.obj-1401764976#page/n138/mode/1up

December 20 1983 page 99. A Gambit Into Fiction

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1323772284/view?sectionId=nla.obj-1609393512&partId=nla.obj-1323795641#page/n98/mode/1up

There is plenty more Shore. Try:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/advanced/category/magazines?keyword=bulletin%20magazine&l-title=The%20bulletin&l-decade=198&startPos=20