PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Oceania Zonal Tournament

JackRodgers
23-09-2020, 11:39 AM
Hey guys, any word on whether or not 2021 zonal will be going ahead in Melb next year? If not, any word on timings/location for an updated event?

Leonid Sandler
23-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, any word on whether or not 2021 zonal will be going ahead in Melb next year? If not, any word on timings/location for an updated event?

Hi Jack, we are working on imminent announcement.

Leonid Sandler
14-11-2020, 03:36 PM
The information below was just published on the latest ACF newsletter.

1. 2021 Oceania Zonal postponed

Chess Victoria put a lot of effort organising this important event that was originally planned for January 2021.

In order to conduct a successful event in a time of pandemic with limited International travel and local opportunities we suggested that FIDE allows the organisers to create hubs and play online.

FIDE will consider our revolutionary ideas in their December 2020 online General Assembly. Also FIDE needs to clarify how the WCC cycle 2021 will work.

We have to wait and see what transpires.

Leonid Sandler on behalf of the organising committee.

MichaelBaron
14-11-2020, 08:57 PM
The information below was just published on the latest ACF newsletter.

1. 2021 Oceania Zonal postponed

Chess Victoria put a lot of effort organising this important event that was originally planned for January 2021.

In order to conduct a successful event in a time of pandemic with limited International travel and local opportunities we suggested that FIDE allows the organisers to create hubs and play online.

FIDE will consider our revolutionary ideas in their December 2020 online General Assembly. Also FIDE needs to clarify how the WCC cycle 2021 will work.

We have to wait and see what transpires.

Leonid Sandler on behalf of the organising committee.

Wow....wondering about cheating controls...and whether titles will be available from the online zonal...

Bill Gletsos
14-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Wow....wondering about cheating controls...and whether titles will be available from the online zonal...FIDE are not rating any online games so I seriously doubt they would award any OTB titles based on online play.

Scott Colliver
14-11-2020, 09:40 PM
What is a hub?

Ian Rout
15-11-2020, 12:40 PM
FIDE are not rating any online games so I seriously doubt they would award any OTB titles based on online play.I doubt they would also allow qualification to the World Cup based on online play. Would they really want an outcome arising from the sort of fiasco that decided the recent online "Olympiad"? But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

What is a hub?
Just a guess - does it mean that players assemble in convenient centres where travel is permitted (for instance, capital cities) and play online but under supervision so there is the same security as OTB?

Garvinator
15-11-2020, 12:41 PM
What is a hub?

I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead.

A sports hub is where a team stays together, is restricted in where they can travel to and are isolated from the general population.

For instance, with the AFL season just gone, all teams had to live in their hub. Which for each team meant staying together at a hotel or similar accommodation, were transported to games together and had little to no contact to the outside world.

Each team would stay in different locations to avoid cross contact with each other.

At the first half of the 2019 Candidates Tournament in Russia, all eight players and officials stayed in a hub, which was the provided accommodation. They were not permitted to leave their accommodation place without permission and were tested regularly for Corona Virus.

The whole idea of sports hubs is to reduce the possibility of anyone getting Corona Virus and then spreading it to other people in the hub.

ER
15-11-2020, 12:48 PM
I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead. (...)

Thanks Garv for a very thorough and succinct explanation!.

MichaelBaron
15-11-2020, 01:21 PM
I will try and define a sports hub, which is what is being described here and has been used in the last six months for many sporting teams to allow competitions to go ahead.

A sports hub is where a team stays together, is restricted in where they can travel to and are isolated from the general population.

For instance, with the AFL season just gone, all teams had to live in their hub. Which for each team meant staying together at a hotel or similar accommodation, were transported to games together and had little to no contact to the outside world.

Each team would stay in different locations to avoid cross contact with each other.

At the first half of the 2019 Candidates Tournament in Russia, all eight players and officials stayed in a hub, which was the provided accommodation. They were not permitted to leave their accommodation place without permission and were tested regularly for Corona Virus.

The whole idea of sports hubs is to reduce the possibility of anyone getting Corona Virus and then spreading it to other people in the hub.

Hard to imagine such ''hub'' arranged for the zonal tournament given that by the ''national standards'' the even is fairly low key. The complexity and costs involved are likely to be too much to handle.

Scott Colliver
15-11-2020, 02:52 PM
I doubt they would also allow qualification to the World Cup based on online play. Would they really want an outcome arising from the sort of fiasco that decided the recent online "Olympiad"? But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just a guess - does it mean that players assemble in convenient centres where travel is permitted (for instance, capital cities) and play online but under supervision so there is the same security as OTB?

This is pretty much what I was thinking but it would be good to get an answer from the organisers as to whether this is what is meant.

Scott Colliver
15-11-2020, 02:55 PM

I am well aware what a hub means in other sports, but I was asking what the organisers mean by a hub. What Ian replied with is something like what I was thinking but without getting an answer from the organisers it is all speculation.

ER
15-11-2020, 02:56 PM
Hard to imagine such ''hub'' arranged for the zonal tournament given that by the ''national standards'' the even is fairly low key. The complexity and costs involved are likely to be too much to handle.

I think Garvinator gave his interpretation of the hub term, as it was practically implemented in AFL and the FIDE Candidates (under exceptional circumstances).
I agree with you re our zonal tournaments in regards to not so strong players achieving titles there! (not anymore I think)
On the other hand I don't agree with it becoming the butt of the joke quite unjustifiably so IMHO.
Actually there are positive aspects about it for example introducing international chess in countries and areas that wouldn't even dream about it otherwise as well as giving a chance to youngsters representing their countries.
I was holidaying in NZ the last time the zonal was held there, and I can assure you it was a wonderful celebration of people getting together and having a great time through chess.

MichaelBaron
12-12-2020, 08:36 PM
In one of his recent FB posts, Emil Sutovsky mentioned that a) the Oceania zonal will be run in a ''hybrid'' (otb + online) mode & it will be rated and titles will be available!

Bill Gletsos
12-12-2020, 09:05 PM
In one of his recent FB posts, Emil Sutovsky mentioned that a) the Oceania zonal will be run in a ''hybrid'' (otb + online) mode & it will be rated and titles will be available!Was that his post from around 2 days ago.
If so where exactly did he say titles would be available.

The most important decisions of the FIDE General Assembly:

The next Olympics will take place in Moscow at 2022, and then Budapest-2024. is waiting for us.

In the summer of 2021, the men's and women's World Cups are planned. The number of participants will be significantly expanded. Men will have 206 players, women probably have 103. At the moment, regulation for selecting additional seats is being prepared.

Rules for online and hybrid chess have been approved. Hybrid - where players will play from federations / clubs under the supervision of refs, maybe in January will be involved in the Oceania zone tournament. In the nearest plans - start rating hybrid tournaments for regular ratings.

FIDE budget approved for 2021. Despite the pandemic, it is above the budget-2020 due to expected revenues from the upcoming match. Match sponsorship and brodcasting contract revenues are forecasted at € 1.5 million, but this is a very conservative assessment. I hope the pandemic does not prevent us from exceeding this number significantly.

Contributions and fees have been reduced once again.
This applies to both awarding women's titles (WGM, WIM...) and switching to another federation of unprofessional players and coaching licenses.

Former World Champion Boris Spassky and the unchanged organizer of Gibraltar Brian Callagan received the prestigious FIDE Honorary Member and FIDE Life Member respectively.

There are still some very important solutions, but because they contain legal subtleties, I will share them only after publication on the FIDE website.

Leonid Sandler
13-12-2020, 07:16 AM
Was that his post from around 2 days ago.
If so where exactly did he say titles would be available.

Hi Bill, perhaps Michael was referring to Emil Sutovsky Facebook on Russian language post from December 10.

I have highlighted the part of his post where he talks about Hybrid events and 2021 Oceania Zonal.

Важнейшие решения Генеральной Ассамблеи ФИДЕ:
Следующая Олимпиада состоится в Москве в 2022, а затем нас ждет Будапешт-2024.
Летом 2021-го планируется проведение мужского и женского Кубков Мира. Количество участников будет существенно расширено. У мужчин будет 206 игроков, у женщин, вероятно, 103. В данный момент готовится регламент по отбору дополнительных мест.
Утверждены правила для онлайновых и гибридных шахмат. Гибрид - в котором игроки будут играть из федераций/клубов под наблюдением судей, может быть уже в январе будет задействован для проведения зонального турнира Океании. В ближайших планах - начать рейтинговать гибридные турниры на обычные рейтинги.
Утвержден бюджет ФИДЕ на 2021. Несмотря на пандемию, он выше бюджета-2020 за счёт ожидаемых доходов от предстоящего Матча. Доходы от спонсорских и бродкастинговых контрактов на Матч спрогнозированы на уровне 1.5 миллиона евро, но это очень консервативная оценка. Надеюсь, пандемия не помешает нам существенно превысить эту цифру.
Взносы и поборы в очередной раз уменьшены.
Это касается и присвоения женских титулов (WGM, WIM...), и перехода за другую федерацию непрофессиональных игроков, и тренерские лицензии.
Экс-Чемпион мира Борис Спасский и бессменный организатор Гибралтара Брайан Кэллаган получили престижную награду FIDE Honorary Member и FIDE Life Member соответственно.
Есть еще несколько очень важных решений, но поскольку они содержат юридические тонкости, поделюсь ими только после публикации на сайте ФИДЕ.

In his post Emil never mentioned about direct titles at all.

Michael, I do understand your interest in topic of direct titles but may I suggest to present facts in correct manner.

Chess Victoria considering our options in reference of the 2021 Oceania Zonal and future annoucements are forthcoming.

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2020, 09:44 AM
Hi Bill, perhaps Michael was referring to Emil Sutovsky Facebook on Russian language post from December 10.

I have highlighted the part of his post where he talks about Hybrid events and 2021 Oceania Zonal. Thanks Leonid, that was indeed Emil’s Facebook post that I posted.

In his post Emil never mentioned about direct titles at all.Thanks for the confirmation.

MichaelBaron
13-12-2020, 06:21 PM

I have highlighted the part of his post where he talks about Hybrid events and 2021 Oceania Zonal.

Важнейшие решения Генеральной Ассамблеи ФИДЕ:
Следующая Олимпиада состоится в Москве в 2022, а затем нас ждет Будапешт-2024.
Летом 2021-го планируется проведение мужского и женского Кубков Мира. Количество участников будет существенно расширено. У мужчин будет 206 игроков, у женщин, вероятно, 103. В данный момент готовится регламент по отбору дополнительных мест.
Утверждены правила для онлайновых и гибридных шахмат. Гибрид - в котором игроки будут играть из федераций/клубов под наблюдением судей, может быть уже в январе будет задействован для проведения зонального турнира Океании. В ближайших планах - начать рейтинговать гибридные турниры на обычные рейтинги.
Утвержден бюджет ФИДЕ на 2021. Несмотря на пандемию, он выше бюджета-2020 за счёт ожидаемых доходов от предстоящего Матча. Доходы от спонсорских и бродкастинговых контрактов на Матч спрогнозированы на уровне 1.5 миллиона евро, но это очень консервативная оценка. Надеюсь, пандемия не помешает нам существенно превысить эту цифру.
Взносы и поборы в очередной раз уменьшены.
Это касается и присвоения женских титулов (WGM, WIM...), и перехода за другую федерацию непрофессиональных игроков, и тренерские лицензии.
Экс-Чемпион мира Борис Спасский и бессменный организатор Гибралтара Брайан Кэллаган получили престижную награду FIDE Honorary Member и FIDE Life Member соответственно.
Есть еще несколько очень важных решений, но поскольку они содержат юридические тонкости, поделюсь ими только после публикации на сайте ФИДЕ.

Michael, I do understand your interest in topic of direct titles but may I suggest to present facts in correct manner.

Chess Victoria considering our options in reference of the 2021 Oceania Zonal and future annoucements are forthcoming.
''В ближайших планах - начать рейтинговать гибридные турниры на обычные рейтинги.''
Leonid, will it be fide rated for Hybrid? The same post states that the online/hybrid events will be fide rated. If it is (somehow) going to be Fide Rated will the events be a) fide rated but no titles b) fide rated but there will be titles just like in other fide rated events or c) nothing will be fide rated and Sutovsky is ''just taking''.

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2020, 08:48 PM
''В ближайших планах - начать рейтинговать гибридные турниры на обычные рейтинги.''
Leonid, will it be fide rated for Hybrid? The same post states that the online/hybrid events will be fide rated. If it is (somehow) going to be Fide Rated will the events be a) fide rated but no titles b) fide rated but there will be titles just like in other fide rated events or c) nothing will be fide rated and Sutovsky is ''just taking''.In his response to others posts Emil makes a clear distinction between online events and hybrid events.
He states the plan is that hybrid events will be rated in the OTB FIDE system. He makes no mention of rating online events.

As for direct titles I wonder why you seem to not understand Leonid’s direct response in his previous post.
Emil made no mention of direct titles being awarded one way or the other.

Unrated
01-01-2021, 05:32 PM
Hi, does anyone know if this tournament going ahead ?

Garvinator
01-01-2021, 10:51 PM
Hi, does anyone know if this tournament going ahead ?

Otb. I would say there are three chances of this event going ahead, at least in the first half of this year.

Adamski
01-01-2021, 11:28 PM
Otb. I would say there are three chances of this event going ahead, at least in the first half of this year.

I hope you don't mean limited, minimal and no chance! June is a wee way off yet so something could eventuate in the first half of the year. Here's hoping anyway. Will watch what Leonid posts with interest.

Garvinator
03-01-2021, 06:44 PM
I hope you don't mean limited, minimal and no chance!
I think it is important to note that my comment was in reference to the first half of the year. I did not comment on the second half. But as for the first half of the year, it was none, buckleys and sfa : whistle:

For it to go ahead otb, all Federations would need to be able to attend. So far, there is only a limited travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand, and with Australia's Corona Virus cases on the rise, it is likely that will be put on hold again soon (my prediction). And whilst there is talk of possible travel bubbles with places like Cook Islands etc, there is no mention of PNG, Palau, Guam, Solomon Islands and some other Oceania Federations.

With the continual changes to Corona Virus restrictions world wide, I am unsure of even when the next set of qualifiers have to be held for the World Cup (which is the point of the Oceania Zonal event).

MichaelBaron
03-01-2021, 08:56 PM
Waiting for an official announcement from the organizers. After all, it is the first ever even to be held in this format....so lets wait and see.

iSage
07-03-2021, 07:31 PM
https://auschess.org.au/oceania-hybrid-3-6-zonal-2021/

MichaelBaron
07-03-2021, 07:35 PM
Interesting that a) its a round robin and b) the prizes are stated in US dollars :).

Kevin Bonham
07-03-2021, 07:41 PM
Also interesting that the details imply it is an eight round round robin, which I don't believe works (7-8 players = 7 rounds, 9-10 players = 9 rounds).

Anyway looks like the Zonal won't be a soft title feast this year.

Scott Colliver
07-03-2021, 07:43 PM
Interesting that a) its a round robin and b) the prizes are stated in US dollars :).

How are players taking part determined? And how does 8 rounds work in a round robin?

Bill Gletsos
07-03-2021, 08:07 PM
How are players taking part determined? And how does 8 rounds work in a round robin?Its simple, if it’s a round robin it can’t be 8 rounds or in fact an even number of rounds.

Scott Colliver
07-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Its simple, if it’s a round robin it can’t be 8 rounds or in fact an even number of rounds.

Exactly what I thought. So the announcement is fundamentally flawed and pretty useless.

iSage
07-03-2021, 11:18 PM
Yes - flawed but not useless - 10 seconds thought from my soggy brain would have spotted the flaw. I took Paul's announcement from 2 weeks ago and started the ball rolling as player nominations closed tonight. All my fault and not Paul's.

Regards - David E

Frank
09-03-2021, 03:54 PM

From FIDE Notice 6 March 2021 https://www.fide.com/news/976

"FIDE approves proposals of the four Continental Federations related to their qualification structures for the next FIDE World Cup to be held in July 2021.

"Specific Technical Requirements

for the World Cup 2021 qualifiers held with the Hybrid format

in addition to the Online Chess Regulations, Part III b

International title norms and direct titles are unavailable."

iSage
20-03-2021, 10:45 AM
Link for live (30 minute delay) games
https://livechess.aunz.net/2021/03/oceania-zonal-3-6-round-robin/

that Caesar guy
20-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Link for live (30 minute delay) games
https://livechess.aunz.net/2021/03/oceania-zonal-3-6-round-robin/

How did they decide who played this tournament? Were there invitations?

iSage
20-03-2021, 12:26 PM
How did they decide who played this tournament? Were there invitations?

Each Oceania Federation was asked to nominate a player. In Australia's case, 2 players were invited according to the relevant ACF by-laws.

Peter Tsai
20-03-2021, 02:01 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 1

================================================== =================================
1 = Salvadora,Angelo ( 0.0) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 0.0) = 1 - 8 = 1 - 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 = Resture,Fred ( 0.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 0.0) = 2 - 7 = 0 - 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 = Smirnov,Anton ( 0.0) - Croad,Nic ( 0.0) = 3 - 6 = 1 - 0
4 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 0.0) - Sikivou,Taione ( 0.0) = 4 - 5 = 1 - 0

Peter Tsai
20-03-2021, 02:33 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship
Hybrid - 20/03/2021, 28/03/2021

Cross Table

Pos N NAME Elo T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | * . . . . . . 1
2 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 1.0 | . * . . . . 1 .
3 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 1.0 | . . * . . 1 . .
4 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 1.0 | . . . * 1 . . .
5 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 0.0 | . . . 0 * . . .
6 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 0.0 | . . 0 . . * . .
7 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 0.0 | . 0 . . . . * .
8 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 0.0 | 0 . . . . . . *

Remark:

Generated by Vega - www.vegachess.com
(copy licensed to: PETER TSAI - AUS )

that Caesar guy
20-03-2021, 05:12 PM
Each Oceania Federation was asked to nominate a player. In Australia's case, 2 players were invited according to the relevant ACF by-laws.

Thanks for the clarification.

MichaelBaron
20-03-2021, 08:06 PM
2 GMs, 2300...and 5 players under 2000 :).

Vlad
20-03-2021, 09:32 PM
2 GMs, 2300...and 5 players under 2000 :).

And you would not guess who but one of these players plays better than Carlsen.:eek:

Peter Tsai
20-03-2021, 10:25 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 2

================================================== =================================
1 = Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 0.0) - Sikivou,Taione ( 0.0) = 8 - 5 = 1 - 0
2 = Croad,Nic ( 0.0) - Kuybokarov,Temur ( 1.0) = 6 - 4 = 0 - 1
3 = Prudente,Elmer ( 1.0) - Smirnov,Anton ( 1.0) = 7 - 3 = 0 - 1
4 = Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) - Resture,Fred ( 0.0) = 1 - 2 = 0 - 1

pappubahry
20-03-2021, 10:26 PM
I was the local arbiter for Temur Kuybokarov for his game against Nic Croad.

Croad-Kuybokarov

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. e5 d5 7. Bb5 Ne4 8. cxd4 Bb6 9. Nc3 Bg4 10. Be3 O-O 11. h3 Bh5 12. Qc2 Ba5 13. Be2 f5 14. exf6 Qxf6 15. O-O Bxc3 16. bxc3 Rae8 17. c4 Bxf3 18. Bxf3 Nxd4 19. Bxd4 Qxd4 20. cxd5 Nd2 21. Rfe1 Nxf3+ 22. gxf3 Re5 [After this move, Temur gave a satisfied smile, looking like he'd won the game] 23. Rad1 Rg5+ 24. Kf1 Qh4 25. Re3 Qxh3+ 26. Ke2 Qh6 27. Qc4 Qd6 28. Rd4 Rgf5 29. Re6 Qa3 [Temur had hovered his mouse over the b-pawn, ready to play 29...b5, before thinking a couple more minutes and changing his mind . I asked him about it after the game and he rattled off a line I didn't follow, saying that he thought he only had a draw] 30. Re3 Qd6 31. Re6 Qh2 32. d6 b5 33. Qb3 Rxf3 34. Re3+ R3f7 35. d7 Qxf2+ 36. Kd1 Qf6 37. Rd2 c5 [He was looking very stressed now] 38. Qd5 Qg6 39. Rf3 Rd8 40. Kc1 [40. Re2 intending Re8 and Temur said he would have resigned, but White was very short on time] 40...h5 41. Rxf7 Qxf7 42. Qxc5 Qc4+ 43. Qxc4+ bxc4 44. Kb2 Kf7 45. Kc3 Ke6 46. Rh2 Rxd7 47. Rxh5 Rc7 48. Rg5 Kf6 49. Rg1 g5 50. Rf1+ Ke5 51. Rg1 Kf4 52. Rf1+ Ke3 53. Rg1 Rg7 54. Kxc4 g4 55. Kb5 g3 56. Ka6 g2 57. a4 Kf2 58. Rxg2+ Kxg2 0-1

Peter Tsai
20-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Cross Table

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 2.0 | * . . . 1 . . 1
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 2.0 | . * . . . . 1 1
3 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | . . * 0 . 1 . .
4 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | . . 1 * 0 . . .
5 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 1.0 | 0 . . 1 * . . .
6 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 1.0 | . . 0 . . * 1 .
7 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 0.0 | . 0 . . . 0 * .
8 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 0.0 | 0 0 . . . . . *

Remark:

Peter Tsai
21-03-2021, 08:30 AM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 3

Round Commences at Sunday 21st March 11 am Melbourne Time

1 = Resture,Fred ( 1.0) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 1.0) = 2 - 8 = ...
2 = Smirnov,Anton ( 2.0) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 3 - 1 = ...
3 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.0) = 4 - 7 = ...
4 = Sikivou,Taione ( 0.0) - Croad,Nic ( 0.0) = 5 - 6 = ...

MichaelBaron
21-03-2021, 09:49 AM
I was the local arbiter for Temur Kuybokarov for his game against Nic Croad.

Croad-Kuybokarov

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. e5 d5 7. Bb5 Ne4 8. cxd4 Bb6 9. Nc3 Bg4 10. Be3 O-O 11. h3 Bh5 12. Qc2 Ba5 13. Be2 f5 14. exf6 Qxf6 15. O-O Bxc3 16. bxc3 Rae8 17. c4 Bxf3 18. Bxf3 Nxd4 19. Bxd4 Qxd4 20. cxd5 Nd2 21. Rfe1 Nxf3+ 22. gxf3 Re5 [After this move, Temur gave a satisfied smile, looking like he'd won the game] 23. Rad1 Rg5+ 24. Kf1 Qh4 25. Re3 Qxh3+ 26. Ke2 Qh6 27. Qc4 Qd6 28. Rd4 Rgf5 29. Re6 Qa3 [Temur had hovered his mouse over the b-pawn, ready to play 29...b5, before thinking a couple more minutes and changing his mind . I asked him about it after the game and he rattled off a line I didn't follow, saying that he thought he only had a draw] 30. Re3 Qd6 31. Re6 Qh2 32. d6 b5 33. Qb3 Rxf3 34. Re3+ R3f7 35. d7 Qxf2+ 36. Kd1 Qf6 37. Rd2 c5 [He was looking very stressed now] 38. Qd5 Qg6 39. Rf3 Rd8 40. Kc1 [40. Re2 intending Re8 and Temur said he would have resigned, but White was very short on time] 40...h5 41. Rxf7 Qxf7 42. Qxc5 Qc4+ 43. Qxc4+ bxc4 44. Kb2 Kf7 45. Kc3 Ke6 46. Rh2 Rxd7 47. Rxh5 Rc7 48. Rg5 Kf6 49. Rg1 g5 50. Rf1+ Ke5 51. Rg1 Kf4 52. Rf1+ Ke3 53. Rg1 Rg7 54. Kxc4 g4 55. Kb5 g3 56. Ka6 g2 57. a4 Kf2 58. Rxg2+ Kxg2 0-1

Wow, an exciting struggle - it could have decided the zonal outcome.

Ian Rout
21-03-2021, 12:43 PM
I notice they don't have the rule that applies in the Candidates, requiring players from the same federation to meet in the first round (or as early as possible if there are more than two). The Australians have pairing numbers 6 and 7 so would meet in Round 5.

pappubahry
21-03-2021, 01:47 PM
I notice they don't have the rule that applies in the Candidates, requiring players from the same federation to meet in the first round (or as early as possible if there are more than two). The Australians have pairing numbers 6 and 7 so would meet in Round 5.

It doesn't alter your substantive point, but Smirnov-Kuybokarov will be in round 6.

Peter Tsai
21-03-2021, 02:10 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 3

1 = Resture,Fred ( 1.0) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 1.0) = 2 - 8 = 0 - 1
2 = Smirnov,Anton ( 2.0) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 3 - 1 = 1 - 0
3 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.0) = 4 - 7 = 1 - 0
4 = Sikivou,Taione ( 0.0) - Croad,Nic ( 0.0) = 5 - 6 = 0 - 1

Peter Tsai
21-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Cross Table

1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 3.0 | * . . 1 . 1 1 .
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 3.0 | . * . . . 1 1 1
3 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 2.0 | . . * 0 1 . . 1
4 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | 0 . 1 * 0 . . .
5 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | . . 0 1 * . 0 .
6 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 1.0 | 0 0 . . . * . 1
7 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 1.0 | 0 0 . . 1 . * .
8 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 0.0 | . 0 0 . . 0 . *

Remark:

Vlad
21-03-2021, 02:40 PM

The rule for this tournament is that they do not play each other in the last round. No other restrictions.

Ian Rout
21-03-2021, 03:06 PM
It doesn't alter your substantive point, but Smirnov-Kuybokarov will be in round 6.
Thanks for the clarification. I must have misread the pairing numbers.

Of course it's not an issue in this event since the "enemy" to the Australians is each other, so there's no risk of collusion.

Peter Tsai
21-03-2021, 08:56 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 4

1 = Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) - Croad,Nic ( 1.0) = 8 - 6 = 0 - 1
2 = Prudente,Elmer ( 1.0) - Sikivou,Taione ( 0.0) = 7 - 5 = ½ - ½
3 = Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) - Kuybokarov,Temur ( 3.0) = 1 - 4 = 0 - 1
4 = Resture,Fred ( 1.0) - Smirnov,Anton ( 3.0) = 2 - 3 = 0 - 1

Peter Tsai
21-03-2021, 08:57 PM

Cross Table

1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 4.0 | * . 1 . 1 1 1 .
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 4.0 | . * 1 . 1 . 1 1
3 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 2.0 | 0 0 * 1 . . . 1
4 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 2.0 | . . 0 * . 1 0 1
5 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 1.5 | 0 0 . . * 1 . ½
6 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | 0 . . 0 0 * 1 .
7 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | 0 0 . 1 . 0 * .
8 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 0.5 | . 0 0 0 ½ . . *

Metro
24-03-2021, 12:58 AM
Schedule Time
AWST AEDT NZDT
Date UTC +8 UTC +11 UTC +13
Round 1 Saturday, 20 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Round 2 Saturday, 20 March 2021 2:00 PM 5:00 PM 7:00 PM
Round 3 Sunday, 21 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Round 4 Sunday, 21 March 2021 2:00 PM 5:00 PM 7:00 PM
Round 5 Saturday, 27 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Round 6 Saturday, 27 March 2021 2:00 PM 5:00 PM 7:00 PM
Round 7 Sunday, 28 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Reserve/ Sunday, 28 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Playoff
Games 30 min.delay https://livechess.aunz.net/oceania-zonal-3-6/

Peter Tsai
24-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Schedule Time
AWST AEDT NZDT
Reserve/ Sunday, 28 March 2021 8:00 AM 11:00 AM 1:00 PM
Playoff
Games 30 min.delay https://livechess.aunz.net/oceania-zonal-3-6/

Correct Schedule

2021 Zonal 3.6 Round Robin Championship Schedule
Time
AWST AEDT NZDT
Reserve/ Playoff Sunday, 28 March 2021 2:00 PM 5:00 PM 7:00 PM

ER
24-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Correct Schedule

Reason for the gap?
Emphasis mine

Ian Rout
24-03-2021, 03:08 PM
Reason for the gap?
Emphasis mineI would guess

(a) so people don't have to skip work/school for two weekdays; and

(b) to build up some tension.

Though maybe the second wasn't a consideration.

Adamski
24-03-2021, 05:25 PM
The Aussie reps are making all the running so far.

ER
24-03-2021, 05:52 PM
I would guess

(a) so people don't have to skip work/school for two weekdays;

Yes, logical; thanks!

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 08:32 AM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 5

1 = Smirnov,Anton ( 4.0) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) = 3 - 8 = ...
2 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 4.0) - Resture,Fred ( 1.0) = 4 - 2 = ...
3 = Sikivou,Taione ( 0.5) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 5 - 1 = ...
4 = Croad,Nic ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.5) = 6 - 7 = ...

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 01:24 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 5

1 = Smirnov,Anton ( 4.0) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) = 3 - 8 = 1 - 0
2 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 4.0) - Resture,Fred ( 1.0) = 4 - 2 = 1 - 0
3 = Sikivou,Taione ( 0.5) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 5 - 1 = 1 - 0
4 = Croad,Nic ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.5) = 6 - 7 = 1 - 0

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 01:25 PM

Cross Table

1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 5.0 | * . 1 1 . 1 1 1
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 5.0 | . * 1 . 1 1 1 1
3 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 3.0 | 0 0 * 1 1 1 . .
4 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 2.0 | 0 . 0 * 1 . 1 0
5 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 1.5 | . 0 0 0 * ½ . 1
6 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 1.5 | 0 0 0 . ½ * 1 .
7 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | 0 0 . 0 . 0 * 1
8 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | 0 0 . 1 0 . 0 *

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 01:26 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 6

1 = Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.5) = 8 - 7 = ...
2 = Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) - Croad,Nic ( 3.0) = 1 - 6 = ...
3 = Resture,Fred ( 1.0) - Sikivou,Taione ( 1.5) = 2 - 5 = ...
4 = Smirnov,Anton ( 5.0) - Kuybokarov,Temur ( 5.0) = 3 - 4 = ...

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 07:33 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 6

1 = Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) - Prudente,Elmer ( 1.5) = 8 - 7 = 0 - 1
2 = Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) - Croad,Nic ( 3.0) = 1 - 6 = 0 - 1
3 = Resture,Fred ( 1.0) - Sikivou,Taione ( 1.5) = 2 - 5 = 0 - 1
4 = Smirnov,Anton ( 5.0) - Kuybokarov,Temur ( 5.0) = 3 - 4 = ½ - ½

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 07:34 PM

Cross Table

1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 5.5 | * ½ 1 . 1 1 1 1
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 5.5 | ½ * 1 1 1 . 1 1
3 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 4.0 | 0 0 * 1 1 1 . 1
4 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 2.5 | . 0 0 * ½ 0 1 1
5 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 2.5 | 0 0 0 ½ * 1 1 .
6 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 2.0 | 0 . 0 1 0 * 1 0
7 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | 0 0 . 0 0 0 * 1
8 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | 0 0 0 0 . 1 0 *

Peter Tsai
27-03-2021, 07:48 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 7

1 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 5.5) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) = 4 - 8 = ...
2 = Sikivou,Taione ( 2.5) - Smirnov,Anton ( 5.5) = 5 - 3 = ...
3 = Croad,Nic ( 4.0) - Resture,Fred ( 1.0) = 6 - 2 = ...
4 = Prudente,Elmer ( 2.5) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 7 - 1 = ...

Lekko
27-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Will the playoff be live streamed as well? what is the process for a playoff in this tournament?

ER
27-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Will the playoff be live streamed as well? what is the process for a playoff in this tournament?

post #25 on this thread is your friend!

MichaelBaron
28-03-2021, 08:40 AM

Funny how there are 3 rounds to go...and the playoff is looking inevitable :).

Bill Gletsos
28-03-2021, 08:50 AM
Funny how there are 3 rounds to go...and the playoff is looking inevitable :).What 3 rounds to go?
It’s an 8 player round robin and they have already played 6 rounds.

iSage
28-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Will the playoff be live streamed as well?

Yes it will be broadcast.

This broadcast is self funded - we are making no fees out of what we are doing for the Zonal.

We have added a PayPal donation button to the game viewer page, and so I encourage everyone who has enjoyed the event to donate. Hopefully this will allow us to continue to broadcast; and to expand the scope of the broadcast with live commentary in future events.

what is the process for a playoff in this tournament?

*Playing Schedule for the Tie Breaker*

1. 25 min + 10 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

2. 10 min + 10 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

3. 5 min + 3 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

4. Sudden Death – Armageddon
White has 5 mins and Black has 4 min and after 60 moves an addition of 2
sec increment after each move. Black needs to draw the game to win the
Playoff - The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the colour.

Lekko
28-03-2021, 12:28 PM
post #25 on this thread is your friend!

It really wasn't hahaha. Post #71 answers all my questions though ;)

Yes it will be broadcast.

This broadcast is self funded - we are making no fees out of what we are doing for the Zonal.

We have added a PayPal donation button to the game viewer page, and so I encourage everyone who has enjoyed the event to donate. Hopefully this will allow us to continue to broadcast; and to expand the scope of the broadcast with live commentary in future events.

*Playing Schedule for the Tie Breaker*

1. 25 min + 10 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

2. 10 min + 10 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

3. 5 min + 3 sec increment from move 1
Drawing of colours
2 games

4. Sudden Death – Armageddon
White has 5 mins and Black has 4 min and after 60 moves an addition of 2
sec increment after each move. Black needs to draw the game to win the
Playoff - The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the colour.

Thank you iSage. I'll make sure I advertise the paypal donate function for you guys on my stream tonight.

ER
28-03-2021, 01:56 PM
It really wasn't hahaha. Post #71 answers all my questions though ;) ...
unfair time advantage, mine was #68 ISage's was 71 so, having seen my move, they had all the time to prepare! :D :P
OK I stuffed up but look at Baron:

Funny how there are 3 rounds to go...and the playoff is looking inevitable :D

What 3 rounds to go?
It’s an 8 player round robin and they have already played 6 rounds. :D

BTW thanks ISage for all this very important information, as well as Peter Tsai for the coverage throughout the event, cheers!

Lekko
28-03-2021, 02:32 PM
Is the broadcast delay going to be the same for the tiebreaks?

iSage
28-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Is the broadcast delay going to be the same for the tiebreaks?

Yes - there is no compelling reason not to.

Peter Tsai
28-03-2021, 03:26 PM
2021 Oceania 3.6 Championship: Pairing of round 7

1 = Kuybokarov,Temur ( 5.5) - Dabuae,Thubalkain ( 2.0) = 4 - 8 = 1 - 0
2 = Sikivou,Taione ( 2.5) - Smirnov,Anton ( 5.5) = 5 - 3 = 0 - 1
3 = Croad,Nic ( 4.0) - Resture,Fred ( 1.0) = 6 - 2 = 1 - 0
4 = Prudente,Elmer ( 2.5) - Salvadora,Angelo ( 1.0) = 7 - 1 = 1 - 0

Peter Tsai
28-03-2021, 03:27 PM

Cross Table

Pos N NAME Elo T Fed Pts | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Prizes
1 3 Smirnov,Anton 2597 GM AUS 6.5 | * ½ 1 1 1 1 1 1 Eq 1st US$1,750
2 4 Kuybokarov,Temur 2530 GM AUS 6.5 | ½ * 1 1 1 1 1 1 Eq 1st US$1,750
3 6 Croad,Nic 2316 FM NZL 5.0 | 0 0 * 1 1 1 1 1 3rd US$1,000
4 7 Prudente,Elmer 1991 CM GUM 3.5 | 0 0 0 * ½ 1 1 1 4th US$500
5 5 Sikivou,Taione 1830 CM FIJ 2.5 | 0 0 0 ½ * 0 1 1
6 8 Dabuae,Thubalkain 0 NRU 2.0 | 0 0 0 0 1 * 1 0
7 2 Resture,Fred 1797 SOL 1.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 0 * 1
8 1 Salvadora,Angelo 1730 PLW 1.0 | 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 *

Remark:

Playoff won by GM Temur Kuybokarov

2021 Oceania Zonal 3.6 Playoff
GM Anton Smirnov (AUS)
GM Temur Kuybokarov (AUS)

Time Control Round White Score Black
25 min + 10 sec from move 1 8 Kuybokarov 0.5:0.5 Smirnov
9 Smirnov 0.5:0.5 Kuybokarov
10 min + 10 sec from move 1 10 Kuybokarov 0 - 1 Smirnov
11 Smirnov 0 - 1 Kuybokarov
5 min + 3 sec from move 1 12 Smirnov 0.5:0.5 Kuybokarov
13 Kuybokarov 0.5:0.5 Smirnov
Armageddon (W: 5 min B: 4 min) + 2 sec increment after 60 14 Kuybokarov 1 - 0 Smirnov

Peter Tsai
28-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Playoff between GM Anton Smirnov and GM Temur Kuybokarov scheduled for 5 pm AEDT

Andy009
28-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Playoff between GM Anton Smirnov and GM Temur Kuybokarov scheduled for 5 pm AEDT

Exciting draw ending in perpetual check in the first tie break game in a sicilian game!

b.nancarrow
28-03-2021, 08:28 PM
LIVE COVERAGE: https://www.twitch.tv/degenchess

Kevin Bonham
28-03-2021, 08:31 PM
Temur Kuybokarov wins in Armageddon and qualifies for the World Cup!

Lekko
28-03-2021, 08:47 PM
LIVE COVERAGE: https://www.twitch.tv/degenchess

Watch the Vlog here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/966152185

First game starting at 0:10:43

ER
28-03-2021, 09:12 PM
was looking forward to it, managed to be here finally!

ER
28-03-2021, 09:37 PM
Watch the Vlog here:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/966152185

First game starting at 0:10:43

Thank you!

Leonid Sandler
30-03-2021, 09:06 AM
http://asianchess.com/news/gm-temur-kuybokarov-wins-zone-3-6-zonal-championship/

braindied
30-03-2021, 09:59 PM
Great effort by Zonal President Paul Spiller, IA's Peter Tsai and Leonid Sandler in putting together this event during these difficult times.

The event did highlight one odd thing with the rules - the Round Robin of 8 players required 20 arbiters! - quite a challenge for the Oceania region.
I somehow suspect that Hybrid chess is not the future....

MichaelBaron
31-03-2021, 09:01 AM
G

The event did highlight one odd thing with the rules - the Round Robin of 8 players required 20 arbiters! - quite a challenge for the Oceania region.
I somehow suspect that Hybrid chess is not the future....

Wow! 2.5 arbiters per one player!

Craig_Hall
31-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Hybrid chess will be an occasionally useful tool and not much else in this part of the world without reducing the number of arbiters per player.

iSage
01-04-2021, 10:41 AM
The number and type of arbiter is set according to the FIDE online chess regulations section 16.8 and 16.9
http://rcc.fide.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/FideOnlineChessRegulations.pdf

from https://www.fide.com/news/976 "If there are more than 10 players in a playing venue, then one additional arbiter is required for every 10 extra players or part thereof."

Craig_Hall
03-04-2021, 06:14 PM
Quite so, but it's still largely unmanageable for smaller events in a lot of locations.

Desmond
06-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Quite so, but it's still largely unmanageable for smaller events in a lot of locations.

I could see it being quite useful for teams events, such as inter-club or inter-school. 2 or 3 arbiters for 10 to 20 players should be achievable, and help to overcome long distances.

Craig_Hall
15-04-2021, 07:46 PM
I could see it being quite useful for teams events, such as inter-club or inter-school. 2 or 3 arbiters for 10 to 20 players should be achievable, and help to overcome long distances.

Events such as matches being organised with remote locations are much more manageable but aren't exactly new either - we have rules for that dating back to the 1800s when telegraph matches were common (NZ law used to require NZ Post to provide free telegrams for that purpose).