View Full Version : Fav. Text Editor?

skip to my lou
08-01-2005, 03:38 PM
What is your favourite text editor? Mine is Vim

Spiny Norman
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
What is your favourite text editor? Mine is Vim

Restricted to *nix, or any platform?

Its been that long since I worked on Unix that I can't remember. I think I was probably just using 'vi' and nothing more.

On Windows I often work in Notepad as a preference. I don't usually want fancy features like line numbering, etc. On occasions where I have needed those features I use "Programmer's File Editor" 32-bit edition, last released in 1999 (!).

If you really go back a ways, I used 'ed' when I was programming on PRIMOS systems back in the 80s. It was pretty flexible and powerful for global string search/replace and so on.

skip to my lou
08-01-2005, 07:56 PM
On anything... I was using notepad on windows, then I tried Zend, but notepad is too simple and Zend is too advanced and takes ages to load (even on my machine [P4 3.2Ghz / 2GB RAM]). I recently found that Vim is available for Windows aswell, so I'm using it for both linux and windows.

Rincewind
08-01-2005, 09:56 PM
On Windows I've recently tried out WinEdt and it is great (although Shareware) especially if you want to use MiKTeX (as I do). I've also used syn a fair bit and it is pretty good too and free. :)

On *nix, I just use vi.

Spiny Norman
09-01-2005, 07:04 AM
On anything... I was using notepad on windows, then I tried Zend, but notepad is too simple and Zend is too advanced and takes ages to load (even on my machine [P4 3.2Ghz / 2GB RAM]). I recently found that Vim is available for Windows aswell, so I'm using it for both linux and windows.

Post again if you'd like to try PFE. I think I have a copy around here somewhere and could email it to you. It can be found on the 'Net but can be a bit hard to track down being so 'old'.

Alan Shore
09-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Notepad, yay! I still write most things in Notepad/Wordpad and only use Word at the end for the final edit.

skip to my lou
09-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Post again if you'd like to try PFE. I think I have a copy around here somewhere and could email it to you. It can be found on the 'Net but can be a bit hard to track down being so 'old'.

I'd like to try it out, if you can easily find it. If it's too much effort then don't bother :)

pax
10-01-2005, 11:17 AM
WinEdt in windows, good ol' (GNU) emacs in linux.

WinEdt integrates very nicely with Miktex which is the main thing I use it for.

Why on earth can't Micro$oft come up with a decent embedded text editor for windows? Or, for that matter a decent comand line terminal.

Spiny Norman
10-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I'd like to try it out, if you can easily find it. If it's too much effort then don't bother :)

Here you go [download PFE v1.01 here (http://www.croydonchess.com/download/pfe101i.zip)] ... I tried to attach to this post but ran into a problem with the 100K upload limit.

skip to my lou
10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Here you go [download PFE v1.01 here (http://www.croydonchess.com/download/pfe101i.zip)] ... I tried to attach to this post but ran into a problem with the 100K upload limit.
Very nice! That's like notepad on steroids!

Spiny Norman
10-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Very nice! That's like notepad on steroids!

Yeah, not bad for an 'old' bit of freeware. 600K in size means I can carry it around in my kit bag just in case its needed. Mostly I just like having things like line numbers at my disposal when I want them ...