PDA

View Full Version : Things I'd like to see on CC

Alan Shore
04-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Just a couple of small requests...

1/ Ability to edit thread titles would be good, particularly in the Correspondence Forum so we can see who is playing who in a title but also just as a useful feature if things have gone off-topic.

2/ The Edit time window to be increased to 48 hours from 12 hours. Often 12 hrs is insufficient time to reconsider a post or to fix up mistakes made from wrong info, etc.

3/ The shoutbox counter, either for the top shouters to be listed once again, or personal shout stats to be eradicated entirely. What we have now is just too in-between and makes people curious about metrics ;)

Hopefully implementation of these things will be relatively simple and I'm sure would be supported by most of the CC community.

Regards,
Bruce

skip to my lou
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
1/ Ability to edit thread titles would be good, particularly in the Correspondence Forum so we can see who is playing who in a title but also just as a useful feature if things have gone off-topic.

Okay, you have 48 hours to edit thread titles...

2/ The Edit time window to be increased to 48 hours from 12 hours. Often 12 hrs is insufficient time to reconsider a post or to fix up mistakes made from wrong info, etc.

Sorry I can't do this.

3/ The shoutbox counter, either for the top shouters to be listed once again, or personal shout stats to be eradicated entirely. What we have now is just too in-between and makes people curious about metrics ;)

It should be back up :)

Alan Shore
04-01-2005, 12:28 PM

Cool.

Sorry I can't do this.

Why not? Is it too difficult to change or you won't do it for another reason?

It should be back up :)

Cool.

skip to my lou
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Why not? Is it too difficult to change or you won't do it for another reason?

It's not hard to change. I've discussed this with moderators twice and we have decided at both times that 12 hours is enough.

WhiteElephant
04-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Hello.

While we are talking about this, something I thought mght be very useful is a search function - for example, if I wanted to find all posts containing the words Garry Kasparov, I could enter that as a keyword, and get a list of the relevant posts.
Since I am fairly new here I don't know if this is something that has been discussed before or is already available but for me it would be very useful to find particular subjects rather than read through all archived material.
Thanks.

W.E.

skip to my lou
04-01-2005, 04:30 PM
What do you mean?

If you want to search by titles only, that option already exists. If you want to see which post exactly mentions certain words, select display post instead of threads.

WhiteElephant
04-01-2005, 04:43 PM
What do you mean?

If you want to search by titles only, that option already exists. If you want to see which post exactly mentions certain words, select display post instead of threads.

Aaah just figured out how to do it. Thanks STML (I meant searching for Keywords, as in google).

Alan Shore
05-01-2005, 08:36 PM

Um, how do I? There's no edit button anywhere.... ?

Spiny Norman
05-01-2005, 08:43 PM

On another board that I frequent its done by editing the first post in the thread ... the "title" of that post is what sets the thread title. Is that how it works here too?

Alan Shore
05-01-2005, 08:46 PM
On another board that I frequent its done by editing the first post in the thread ... the "title" of that post is what sets the thread title. Is that how it works here too?

It would normally (on other boards it's the same for me, yes) but because of the *cough* stupid 12 hour thing I can't edit my first post.

skip to my lou
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
It would normally (on other boards it's the same for me, yes) but because of the *cough* stupid 12 hour thing I can't edit my first post.

Maybe you wouldn't think it's stupid when people threaten you with legal action. I actually think 12 hours is too much, I would be in favour of something more like 1 hour.

skip to my lou
05-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Edit first post as frosty suggested.

PS. You can always contact a moderator if you want to edit your post / title after the time allowed.

Alan Shore
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Maybe you wouldn't think it's stupid when people threaten you with legal action. I actually think 12 hours is too much, I would be in favour of something more like 1 hour.

He couldn't have touched you, it was all talk. You already have a disclaimer about the use of this board, especially the Unmod section.

I think Voldemort was a complete asshole for those threats too.

And guess what? I looked up the laws of defamation.. you're perfectly allowed to say things in public if:

a) They are true
or b) It is in the public interest to know.

Since I'd argue both those criteria were fulfilled, he couldn't do shit.

Alan Shore
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Edit first post as frosty suggested.

PS. You can always contact a moderator if you want to edit your post / title after the time allowed.

Dude, I can't... there is no Edit button!

antichrist
06-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Dude, I can't... there is no Edit button!

Sometimes it may take a lot longer than twelve hours to receive a particular reply to a post that alerts one that a post could be taken the wrong way. must repeat this message as have edited a much longer message

Sometimes it may take a lot longer than twelve hours to receive a particular reply to a post that alerts one that a post could be taken the wrong way. must repeat this message as have edited a much longer message

Rincewind
06-01-2005, 07:58 AM

This is why we must be careful with what we write. Just as we must be careful with what we say. What is said cannot be unsaid. The same with writing here as there is no telling who has read it between you writing it and then editing it.

Better to write a post, read it and on reflection decide not to post it at all.

eclectic
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Another suggestion I have for CC:

An automated "best post of 2005" voting system via a button on each post which by clicking you can add to a shortlist of ten to twenty? contained in your user CP (cf buddy and ignore list).

This shortlist could then be edited and sorted in preparation for a final submission at the end of the year.

A post usually has its effect on the reader upon being read first. It is often pointless churning through posts at the end of the year to decide again which ones you liked.

Mark
(Skaro)

PS If I did need to sort through posts how about an exclusion or "not" filter so for example that I can look for posts by starter which don't contain the word "metric" ... ;)

ursogr8
06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
PS If I did need to sort through posts how about an exclusion or "not" filter so for example that I can look for posts by starter which don't contain the word "metric" ... ;)

Mark
I will give you odds of 10/1 up to a limit of $100, that you can't find one dated after 1/4/2004. You have till 6.15pm 6/1/2005 to post one (that does not contain the word metric) here to collect.
starter

Spiny Norman
06-01-2005, 06:25 PM

Well said Barry. Wish I'd done more of that over the years actually. Its cathartic to write out a response, but sometimes wisdom prevails and I just go back to reading.

ursogr8
07-01-2005, 12:07 PM

That is all very well for you, Mr. Cool-a-Gong. :cool:

Some of us (like a/c and me) are in a state of excitement when we are about to hit the post button. If we refelected, as you request, we may end up with analysis paralysis and miss a gem of a post. ;)

starter

Alan Shore
07-01-2005, 03:39 PM
That is all very well for you, Mr. Cool-a-Gong. :cool:

Some of us (like a/c and me) are in a state of excitement when we are about to hit the post button. If we refelected, as you request, we may end up with analysis paralysis and miss a gem of a post. ;)

starter

In fact, without editing it would simply mean extra posts to clarify one's position and perhaps give some equivocation to prior misinterpreted statements... meaning more posts for starter! :cool:

Kevin Bonham
21-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Sorry, just saw this ...

He couldn't have touched you, it was all talk. You already have a disclaimer about the use of this board, especially the Unmod section.

Not legally binding.

And guess what? I looked up the laws of defamation.. you're perfectly allowed to say things in public if:

a) They are true
or b) It is in the public interest to know.

Yes, but there is a catch you may be unaware of. In defamation law the burden of proof is generally on the person making the public statement. It has to not only be true, but you have to be able to prove in court that it is true. This becomes especially difficult when you are saying things about a person's intentions in making a statement.

pax
22-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Sorry, just saw this ...

Not legally binding.

Yes, but there is a catch you may be unaware of. In defamation law the burden of proof is generally on the person making the public statement. It has to not only be true, but you have to be able to prove in court that it is true. This becomes especially difficult when you are saying things about a person's intentions in making a statement.

But when it comes to court cases the plaintiff has to prove damage. Often quite hard to do.

Denis_Jessop
22-02-2005, 02:28 PM
But when it comes to court cases the plaintiff has to prove damage. Often quite hard to do.

True. But even if the plaintiff gets only very small damages, he/she nevertheless wins and the defendant is up for the costs of both parties. Even were there no order for costs, the defendant would have to pay his/her own costs. In a defamation action costs even of one party can be astronomic.

Denis Jessop

Kevin Bonham
22-02-2005, 03:05 PM

For slander (spoken word) you have to prove damage, for libel (written word) it is generally assumed that damage to reputation will follow and the question is determining how much money should be paid. As Denis points out the amount of damages is often small compared to the legal costs. IIRC one of the John Marsden cases featured a very trivial damages payout but colossal legal bills.

antichrist
22-02-2005, 07:05 PM
The saying goes: A good lawyer keeps you out of court.

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 11:23 AM

The point is non premium members are really no worse off than they were before premium membership was added.

Try
Invisibility

Try
Who's ON-LINE

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 11:28 AM

The point is non premium members are really no worse off than they were before premium membership was added.

Try
Invisibility

Try
Who's ON-LINE
They are still invisible to the majority of users.
Of course one must ask why you want to be inivisble in the first place.
You dont seem to have a problem with being visible on Matt's board.

As for whose online it was fairly useless in the past if a user was invisible.
In fact if everyone had been invisible it would have been completely useless

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 12:42 PM
There is a very useful feature at UCJ that lists ACTIVE members and their most recent post.

Karthick, mate...., buddy-buddy, can you flick a switch and invoke that here?

starter

antichrist
28-02-2005, 12:50 PM
There is a very useful feature at UCJ that lists ACTIVE members and their most recent post.

starter

Karthick,
We dont really need it. We have a terrific site already.

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 12:56 PM

starterToo bad the total post count there doesnt add up.
It claims 99 posts, yet the total number according to each forum is 143.
The total posts according to active users is 123. I guess all users are not equal and some dont count at all.

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 12:59 PM
They are still invisible to the majority of users.
Of course one must ask why you want to be inivisble in the first place.
You dont seem to have a problem with being visible on Matt's board.

As for whose online it was fairly useless in the past if a user was invisible.
In fact if everyone had been invisible it would have been completely useless

This must be your all-time worst logic post Bill.

Does Karthick know that you are trying to undermine the worth of the features he is trying to sell to PREMIUM USERS? You could get yourself suspended for such anti-cc behaviour.

You ask "Of course one must ask why you want to be inivisble in the first place."
Bill, the customer doesn't have to explain his objectives. There is no 'must' about it. Mind you own business; my invisibility was mine.

You ask "You dont seem to have a problem with being visible on Matt's board."
An alternative explanation is that I can't work out how to flick the switch. ;)

starter

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Too bad the total post count there doesnt add up.
It claims 99 posts, yet the total number according to each forum is 143.
The total posts according to active users is 123. I guess all users are not equal and some dont count at all.

Join the Punter's Club Bill
We are still trying to make sense of e5 in the CC Correspondence Forum counts for a post, but e5 in the SHOUTBOX is a vapour-count?

starter

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 01:10 PM
This must be your all-time worst logic post Bill.

Does Karthick know that you are trying to undermine the worth of the features he is trying to sell to PREMIUM USERS? You could get yourself suspended for such anti-cc behaviour.You are being an idiot yet again.
Note I said that it was fairly usesles in the past.
Since premium users can see invisible users then premium users see what all users are viewing via Who's Online.

You ask "Of course one must ask why you want to be inivisble in the first place."
Bill, the customer doesn't have to explain his objectives. There is no 'must' about it. Mind you own business; my invisibility was mine.I never mentioned must at all.
I asked a simple question.
It would appear you cannot rationally answer it.

You ask "You dont seem to have a problem with being visible on Matt's board."
An alternative explanation is that I can't work out how to flick the switch. ;) More than likely there is no switch.

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 01:15 PM
I never mentioned must at all.

Re-read your posts Bill

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Re-read your posts Bill
Comprehension seems to be a problem with you.
Firegoat 7 had a comrephension problem last week regarding FIDE ratings for players new to the ACF list.
Maybe its a pre-requuisite for being a significant poster on matt's bb as he suffered from it on a regular basis also.

I never said one must be visible.
I said one must ask why you want to be invisible.

Now go off and play in you sand box. :hand:

ursogr8
28-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Comprehension seems to be a problem with you.
Firegoat 7 had a comrephension problem last week regarding FIDE ratings for players new to the ACF list.
Maybe its a pre-requuisite for being a significant poster on matt's bb as he suffered from it on a regular basis also.

I never said one must be visible.
I said one must ask why you want to be invisible.

And I queried the
must.

Now go off and play in you (sic) sand box.

Almost a concerted campaign.

First K., then TCN., and frequently Amiel, and now you. Are there too many members over here on cc.com; is that why you want to bump me out?
I could move to Sydney if that would help keep the consistency of approach?

starter

arosar
28-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Stop acting dumb OK starter. You misunderstood the context of 'must'. Read the bloody sentence again.

AR

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Stop acting dumb OK starter. You misunderstood the context of 'must'. Read the bloody sentence again.Exactly.

Bill Gletsos
28-02-2005, 02:59 PM
And I queried the .Your inability to comprehend is not my problem.

Almost a concerted campaign.

First K., then TCN., and frequently Amiel, and now you. Are there too many members over here on cc.com; is that why you want to bump me out?No, but you do already seem a fixture there. You have the third highest post count and over double that of 4th place. I notice too you havent yet seen fit to criticise Denovo for his to put it mildly "unseemly" language. Obviously you have been too busy with tipping and worrying about the use of the shoutbox.

I could move to Sydney if that would help keep the consistency of approach?I doubt a change of state would help you lift your game.

ursogr8
10-03-2005, 07:39 AM

I will not let you infect this bb with you ci bull any longer.
Please quarantine it to here.

This note comes with a signature line containing use of large font.
I would like to see Karthick apply the same standards as he did in January 2004 when he vetoed the use of this type of font.

starter

Trent Parker
10-03-2005, 11:13 AM
This note comes with a signature line containing use of large font.
I would like to see Karthick apply the same standards as he did in January 2004 when he vetoed the use of this type of font.

starter

Fine. If your going to be so petty... I have shrunk it somewhat.

eclectic
10-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Fine. If your going to be so petty... I have shrunk it somewhat.

TCN,

if only the code could allow you to

loop ...

blink "one red eye"
then
blink "one white eye"
then
blink "GO THE DRAGONS"

:D

eclectic

ps what is next with your moderating zeal? teaching antichrist how to frigging QUOTE ? :angry:

skip to my lou
10-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Starter, the switch broke, so I cannot flick it :(

Alan Shore
10-03-2005, 08:11 PM
TCN,

if only the code could allow you to

loop ...

blink "one red eye"
then
blink "one white eye"
then
blink "GO THE DRAGONS"

:D

eclectic

ps what is next with your moderating zeal? teaching antichrist how to frigging QUOTE ? :angry:

It should be pretty easy to make a small animated .gif that could accommodate you tcn.. play around with photoshop a bit, you'd be surprised what you can do with it.

ursogr8
11-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Starter, the switch broke, so I cannot flick it :(

K.

Those in the trade call it, an intermittent fault.
Only occurs when key resource is POPO'd or invoices to be paid. ;)

starter

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Don't worry ggray there will be no more spam....

K has made a rule that a person must post 10 times before being able to PM.

And one other trick......

TCN

While it is nice to see you posting informative stuff on UCJ, if you have some time on your hands, and want to do some moderation, why not clean up the undisciplined SHOUTBOX at cc.com?

If you want to know who to target, just discuss with your sub-community of mods/admins. :rolleyes: They should be able to tell you who are the largest mis-users.

starter

skip to my lou
24-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Those in the trade call it, an intermittent fault.

Trade?

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 08:18 AM
^
Is your post #48 a rather transparent attempt to bury post #47? :rolleyes:

skip to my lou
24-03-2005, 08:24 AM
^
Is your post #48 a rather transparent attempt to bury post #47? :rolleyes:

Bury? It is messaged to TCN, so what is your point?

Trent Parker
24-03-2005, 08:37 AM
TCN

While it is nice to see you posting informative stuff on UCJ, if you have some time on your hands, and want to do some moderation, why not clean up the undisciplined SHOUTBOX at cc.com?

If you want to know who to target, just discuss with your sub-community of mods/admins. :rolleyes: They should be able to tell you who are the largest mis-users.

starter

What do you think the shout box should be used for starter?

BTW STML It might be helpful if a link to the chat section was put up top somewhere? Might stop starter from complaining?

skip to my lou
24-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Too busy atm.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 08:50 AM

Well TCN, I would think that all the useful stuff about how to use the CHAT section (including Barry's and Bill's expert tips over the past few days) belongs in a thread somewhere. In that way it collects all in the one place and is easily found when the time comes when a poster wants to read and use it.
At the moment it is intermingled with shouts on many other matters; including one poster's multiple one-word shout-incontinence.
That would be a useful beginning.
When you have cleaned that up, come back to me for your next clean-up task. ;)

BTW STML It might be helpful if a link to the chat section was put up top somewhere? Might stop starter from complaining?

Must be a switch somewhere, eh?

starter
ps Btw TCN, out of 10, what is your valuation of the current use of the SHOUTBOX? Do you think it is being misused?

skip to my lou
24-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Must be a switch somewhere, eh?

Must be.

Trent Parker
24-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Well TCN, I would think that all the useful stuff about how to use the CHAT section (including Barry's and Bill's expert tips over the past few days) belongs in a thread somewhere. In that way it collects all in the one place and is easily found when the time comes when a poster wants to read and use it.
At the moment it is intermingled with shouts on many other matters; including one poster's multiple one-word shout-incontinence.
That would be a useful beginning.
When you have cleaned that up, come back to me for your next clean-up task. ;)
Starter
You did not answer my question.
I asked you

NOT what don't you think the shout box should be used for.

Answer my question please

Obviously these people who used the shoutbox didn't see the content fit to be in a thread.

starter
ps Btw TCN, out of 10, what is your valuation of the current use of the SHOUTBOX? Do you think it is being misused?
I wouldn't give it a valuation out of anything. To me the shout box was just something that could be used to talk to people. I may be wrong but that was my take on it.

By the way starter. You are the only one complaining about the shoutbox. Why don't you just accept that your views on what the shoutbox should (or shouldn't) be are different to others on this BB.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Starter
You did not answer my question.
I asked you

NOT what don't you think the shout box should be used for.

Answer my question please

Obviously these people who used the shoutbox didn't see the content fit to be in a thread.

I wouldn't give it a valuation out of anything. To me the shout box was just something that could be used to talk to people. I may be wrong but that was my take on it.

By the way starter. You are the only one complaining about the shoutbox. Why don't you just accept that your views on what the shoutbox should (or shouldn't) be are different to others on this BB.

TCN

Although you have declined to rate the current use of SHOUTBOX, it is clear that you are quite comfortable with its current mis-use. Therefore it is rather pointless for me to appeal to you for (MOD) assistance to set some guidelines and correct past mis-SHOUTS. That is OK on your part....np.

I will try lobbying with another.

starter

Trent Parker
24-03-2005, 10:36 AM

I would still like an answer.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 10:44 AM
I would still like an answer.

TCN

Good, that will make you an interested reader when I find someone with a positive interest to improve the use of the verbiage-dump.

Btw........I am not the only one interested in improvement
> noidea opened up a thread called 'Reduce Shoutbox count' obviously with the postive intention to improve things
>> there have been others complain in the SB itself.

starter

Trent Parker
24-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Starter.

Help me help you.

I currently see no reason why anything should change out of the shoutbox.

Answering the below question may change my mind.

Please answer my question

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Well TCN, I would think that all the useful stuff about how to use the CHAT section (including Barry's and Bill's expert tips over the past few days) belongs in a thread somewhere. In that way it collects all in the one place and is easily found when the time comes when a poster wants to read and use it.Its funny but having information in a thread didnt stop you and your clueless mate not having a clue about the Australian Transfer Champion title even though both of you posted in the thread in which it was discussed. :whistle:

As such it would appear remembering information previously provided isnt a major skill either of you possess. :hmm:

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Its funny but having information in a thread didnt stop you and your clueless mate not having a clue about the Australian Transfer Champion title even though both of you posted in the thread in which it was discussed. :whistle:

As such it would appear remembering information previously provided isnt a major skill either of you possess. :hmm:

:eek: :eek:
Bill

I think you are giving away clues to the little trivia puzzle I set earlier?

And I think you have been OVER THERE reading, and you raising those matters OVER HERE. :naughty:

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 11:59 AM
:eek: :eek:
Bill

I think you are giving away clues to the little trivia puzzle I set earlier?

And I think you have been OVER THERE reading, and you raising those matters OVER HERE. :naughty:It was you not I that raised it here first by trying to be a smartass with your trivia question.
After I provided you with the actual post numbers that contained the information on the matter, instead of using that information to answer the questions in an informed manner, you saw fit to play your little games here.
I simply tried to save you from embarrassing yourself further by demonstrating your cluelessness on a matter even though you particpated in the thread. I wont make that mistake again and try and help you out.
Next time I'll just highlight the cluelessness outright.

You suggest to TCN that information should be in threads and not in the shoutbox. That may be well and good but having a brain to either remember what one previosuly discussed or possibly even using the search function also would be a benefit.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 01:06 PM
It was you not I that raised it here first by trying to be a smartass with your trivia question.
There is a grumpiness in your post Bill that I putting down to the shocking weather in Sydney yesterday. In Melbourne we get some very ordinary weather in June; we all remember AR's remark last year about the 'sinister sky' at the VIC OPEN.

After I provided you with the actual post numbers that contained the information on the matter, instead of using that information to answer the questions in an informed manner

Do you mean the 2 PMs you sent me re the NSW Transfer title and the ACF Transfer title?
There was nothing new to me in those PMs. I could remember the previous thread here on TRANSFER titles; save what I did not know was the follow-on as to whether the GURU got his event recognised by the ACF retrospectively.

you saw fit to play your little games here.

Apologies for attempting some sort of style. I get stung when your mate AR keeps calling me boring.

I simply tried to save you from embarrassing yourself further by demonstrating your cluelessness on a matter even though you particpated in the thread.

What embarrassment was that Bill? I knew what I didn't know........whether or not the GURU's event was retrospectively ratified.

I wont make that mistake again and try and help you out.

I regularly post that I appreciate your help.

Next time I'll just highlight the cluelessness outright.

I have a share of these anyway already; never did find the antidote nor the magic armour.

You suggest to TCN that information should be in threads and not in the shoutbox. That may be well and good

I must say this surprises me. TCN can see nothing wrong and is comfortable with the staus quo; and I had thought your hopping in was to support his postion. Can it be that you think the SB is misused on occasion?

but having a brain to either remember what one previosuly discussed or possibly even using the search function also would be a benefit.

I think it is clear that I remembered all that was in the public arena.
Hands up all those who know if the GURU tabled (formally) his AUS. TFR Tourney results for title ratification?

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 01:30 PM
There is a grumpiness in your post Bill that I putting down to the shocking weather in Sydney yesterday. In Melbourne we get some very ordinary weather in June; we all remember AR's remark last year about the 'sinister sky' at the VIC OPEN.Irrelevant rubbish.

Do you mean the 2 PMs you sent me re the NSW Transfer title and the ACF Transfer title?
There was nothing new to me in those PMs. I could remember the previous thread here on TRANSFER titles;If that is indeed the case then why didnt you inform your mate of the truth, rather than allow him to live in ignorance.
Perhaps you see doing so as somehow beneficial to his cause.

save what I did not know was the follow-on as to whether the GURU got his event recognised by the ACF retrospectively.
That was a minor part of it.
If you remembered the thread then why did you not enlighten your mate with the details.

Apologies for attempting some sort of style. I get stung when your mate AR keeps calling me boring.There was no style involved. You were just trying to be a smartass.

What embarrassment was that Bill? I knew what I didn't know........whether or not the GURU's event was retrospectively ratified.Then why not use the in formation you claim you did know to correct the misinformation being sprouted by your mates.

I have a share of these anyway already; never did find the antidote nor the magic armour.Putting ones brain in gear and fingers in neutral often helps. ;)

I must say this surprises me. TCN can see nothing wrong and is comfortable with the staus quo; and I had thought your hopping in was to support his postion. Can it be that you think the SB is misused on occasion?Occasionaly but not to any great extent. Certainly nothing to get to excited about.

I think it is clear that I remembered all that was in the public arena.In which case why didnt you pass on your knowledge to your mate on his board. You saw fit to ask a question rather than inform him of the facts.

Hands up all those who know if the GURU tabled (formally) his AUS. TFR Tourney results for title ratification?He didnt.
Of course even if he did it was unlikely that it would have been recognised as it was always seen as a Victorian event rather than an Australian event.
The reason I say this is believe only mexicans participated in it.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Irrelevant rubbish.
Ahh...thought so...you are a bit grumpy......................np.

If that is indeed the case then why didnt you inform your mate of the truth, rather than allow him to live in ignorance.

Bill,
I exactly said to him....Bill has given me two PMs, "do you want to know the detail". His response was exactly as you read earlier today.

Perhaps you see doing so as somehow beneficial to his cause.

No. I left the decision to Matt. I made no use of my agenda.

That was a minor part of it.
If you remembered the thread then why did you not enlighten your mate with the details.
See above.

There was no style involved. You were just trying to be a smartass.

How can you overlook the artistic attempts of mine Bill? I have to leaven the CI stuff with other styles. ;)

Then why not use the in formation you claim you did know to correct the misinformation being sprouted by your mates.

Because I don't want to become the Bill_of_UCJ. :rolleyes:

Putting ones brain in gear and fingers in neutral often helps. ;)
Nice turn of phrase. :clap:

Occasionaly but not to any great extent. Certainly nothing to get to excited about.
I hope TCN is reading this....he can see no problem at all.

In which case why didnt you pass on your knowledge to your mate on his board. You saw fit to ask a question rather than inform him of the facts.
See above responses.

He didnt.
Of course even if he did it was unlikely that it would have been recognised as it was always seen as a Victorian event rather than an Australian event.
The reason I say this is believe only mexicans participated in it.
Thanks for that bit of info.
I guess in the next iteration the participants might only be GONGers?

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Bill,
I exactly said to him....Bill has given me two PMs, "do you want to know the detail". His response was exactly as you read earlier today.
Then he is an idiot as the information regarding the Australian Transfer Champion title was already on this BB.

No. I left the decision to Matt. I made no use of my agenda.

See above.

Because I don't want to become the Bill_of_UCJ. :rolleyes:No. You would rather let him peddle his rubbish rather than post the facts.
In fact given you claim to have known the facts prior to my PM you could have posted them on his board in response to his original question, rather than ignoring it and just asking a question yourself. That behaviour just makes one question your motives.

I hope TCN is reading this....he can see no problem at all.I can see no reason for any action to be taken.

Thanks for that bit of info.
I guess in the next iteration the participants might only be GONGers?Anyone can run an event and put the word Australian or their states name in it. However unless it is sanctioned/recognised by the relevant state body or the ACF then any such title is virtually meaningless.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Then he is an idiot as the information regarding the Australian Transfer Champion title was already on this BB.

I don't think he is reading here, so your lambast probably misses your intended mark. :rolleyes:

No. You would rather let him peddle his rubbish rather than post the facts.

Given you are already 0 for 1 on guessing my motivation, I am surprised to see you have another go. :rolleyes:

In fact given you claim to have known the facts prior to my PM you could have posted them on his board in response to his original question, rather than ignoring it and just asking a question yourself. That behaviour just makes one question your motives.

This must be a first. Now you are criticising me for NOT posting on a bb that you decline to post on yourself.

Bill, if I posted everything I know, then we would run out of heads of pins. ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't think he is reading here, so your lambast probably misses your intended mark. :rolleyes:Given his alias Kiser Soza has been on fairly regularly even as recently as yesterday then I think you are incorrect.

Given you are already 0 for 1 on guessing my motivation, I am surprised to see you have another go. :rolleyes:Well your responses have been far from satisfactory.

This must be a first. Now you are criticising me for NOT posting on a bb that you decline to post on yourself.Thats irrelevant as you already post there and are in fact its second most active poster.

Bill, if I posted everything I know, then we would run out of heads of pins. ;)Not if you only posted in response to questions. ;)

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Given his alias Kiser Soza has been on fairly regularly even as recently as yesterday then I think you are incorrect.
I thought you were lobbying to have his password changed.
K. lost that switch too?

Not if you only posted in response to questions. ;)

Nice response....showing that this little interchange has shaken you out of your glum mood. Welcome back. :P

starter

Bill Gletsos
24-03-2005, 02:55 PM
I thought you were lobbying to have his password changed.
K. lost that switch too?I think I simply stated that would stop him reading using an a banned id. He could of course still read the board as a guest.

Nice response....showing that this little interchange has shaken you out of your glum mood. Welcome back. :PI wasnt in a glum mood to begin with. ;)

antichrist
24-03-2005, 02:59 PM
When I was KO'd by Botha and his partner I could not access the BB at all.

ursogr8
24-03-2005, 03:05 PM
OK...enough of the off-topic stuff.....time for a BUMP.

Anyone else interested in setting simple guidelines for use of our SHOUTBOX?
How about you gg''..............I will lobby for you to become invisible if.....

skip to my lou
24-03-2005, 04:58 PM
K. lost that switch too?

If you say so.

ursogr8
28-03-2005, 08:46 PM
When Kaitlin says

all yous in currently actiz list..get your bum into to chesschat...and now (~me stamps foot...im putting my foot down... its down ..the foot has spoken~)

is there a simple button I can press to comply?
Or a set of instructions I can read?

starter

Kaitlin
28-03-2005, 08:53 PM
When Kaitlin says

all yous in currently actiz list..get your bum into to chesschat...and now (~me stamps foot...im putting my foot down... its down ..the foot has spoken~)

is there a simple button I can press to comply?
Or a set of instructions I can read?

starter

yes for derr bains there is
09-03-2005, 01:06 AM #329
skip to my lou
Daemon!

http://www.chesschat.org/irc/

Press Run/Accept if your browser asks if you want to run the program. For those who have an IRC client such as mIRC/XChat use au.austnet.org / #chesschat.

ursogr8
03-04-2005, 11:47 AM
^

I only get
Unable to connect : java.net.UnknownHostException : au.austnet.org
and then I get
Unable to connect : java.lang.NullPointerException

signed
derr

JGB
03-04-2005, 01:51 PM
^^^ ;)

Same here, usually.

ursogr8
03-04-2005, 02:14 PM
^^^ ;)

Same here, usually.

^
The difference is JGB that you don't have the popsicle_queen calling you a derr brain.

starter

Rincewind
03-04-2005, 03:02 PM
The difference is JGB that you don't have the popsicle_queen calling you a derr brain.

Starter sounds like it is something to do with the version of Java you are running or a security setting. Now your home PC is back up and running try installing mIRC or XChat and get into it from there.

JGB
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Starter sounds like it is something to do with the version of Java you are running or a security setting. Now your home PC is back up and running try installing mIRC or XChat and get into it from there.

Could be that Starter does not want to install more gabage on his home PC than he actually needs. Nothing is for free. ;) Mirc was junk and I drop kicked it 5 mins after i downloaded it.

ursogr8
03-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Thanks Baz.
Appreciate the offer.
Actually my current access is via a work laptop into a Telstra internal firewall.........not my home dial-up.
Think I will scrub around it until it is Click_and_Play.

You have been into this area that the popsicle talks about? Is the conversation as scintillating as the SHOUTBOX?

starter

JGB
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
You have been into this area that the popsicle talks about? Is the conversation as scintillating as the SHOUTBOX?

starter

"You ain't seen noth'n yet"

:whistle:

Rincewind
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Appreciate the offer.

I didn't think I offered anything other than some advice. ;)

Actually my current access is via a work laptop into a Telstra internal firewall.........not my home dial-up.

That is probably why it is not working for you then. The www.chesschat.org/irc app listens on port 113 so if that is blocked on your FW you will not be able to connect.

Think I will scrub around it until it is Click_and_Play.

Unless you bypass the FW this may not happen.

My hope is that it will replace all the chatter from the shout box. It is a much better technology for nattering.

antichrist
09-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Rincewind, who is this Arrogrant One in concentration thread? What is he on about?

Bill Gletsos
09-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Rincewind, who is this Arrogrant One in concentration thread? What is he on about?Many believe he is just a troll of A Tool. :lol:

WhiteElephant
09-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Many believe he is just a troll of A Tool. :lol:

That sounds like a cryptic clue...:whistle:

ursogr8
02-02-2006, 12:03 PM
<snip>

My hope is that it will replace all the chatter from the shout box. It is a much better technology for nattering.

I think you have been proven correct Baz.
I have not noticed any chatter in the SHOUTBOX, of late.

starter

arosar
02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I think you have been proven correct Baz.
I have not noticed any chatter in the SHOUTBOX, of late.

starter

I actually like the shoutbox. It's good for random thoughts. We should have it back.

AR

jenni
02-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I want my arcade back. :eek: :wall:

Trent Parker
02-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Keep in with the theme....

I want my PGN viewer back!

:D :D

Rincewind
02-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately all these things can only be address by skip to my lou how has been exceptionally busy with work the last few weeks (in particular). So while I'm sure he is delighted that his previous efforts were widely appreciated, we will all have to wait for skip to have the time to get back and remake these mods to the new version of the BB software. In the meantime, your patience and understanding is appreciated.

jenni
02-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately all these things can only be address by skip to my lou how has been exceptionally busy with work the last few weeks (in particular). So while I'm sure he is delighted that his previous efforts were widely appreciated, we will all have to wait for skip to have the time to get back and remake these mods to the new verion of the BB software. In the meantime, your patience and understanding is appreciated.

Sniff - who wants to be patient - throwing a tantrum is so much more fun....

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Sniff - who wants to be patient - throwing a tantrum is so much more fun....And that fits in well with:

All BB posters are allowed moments of eccentricy - would be pretty boring if people were continually sensible. ;)

jenni
02-02-2006, 03:15 PM
:lol: :lol:

skip to my lou
02-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Check top menu.

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Check top menu.Jenni will be pleased.

jenni
02-02-2006, 04:54 PM
sniff - I raced off to play (before even thanking Skip, which was very rude of me, so THANK-YOU :clap: ), however I got this

"The error returned was:

The administrator has disabled playing games for your usergroup. "

Any clues?

Rincewind
02-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Should be fixed. Try now.

ursogr8
02-02-2006, 06:21 PM
I just passed Necromance 101.

jenni
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Thank-you :)

Alan Shore
02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I experienced both pleasure and pain:

New games :)
My snake score has gone :(

The worst part? My hand hasn't fixed yet... all those games.. and I can't play any seriously... *cry*

Oh well, better at least take the snake record before KB notices. :D

Bill Gletsos
02-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I just passed Necromance 101.That was a fairly inconsequential 5,000th post ;)

ursogr8
02-02-2006, 09:59 PM
That was a fairly inconsequential 5,000th post ;)

Actually, Bill, kegless's challenge to me to resurrect an abandoned thread (with a new outcome) has proved difficult to meet. It has taken me more then a year (but not much of a year ;) ).
Thus, the post was of some consequence; but we have lost our index functionality on 'worth of posts', so it is moot. :hand:

regards
starter

ursogr8
19-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Kevin

I can understand your sifting through the ashes (http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=92794&postcount=33) of the most recent outcome by our resident arsonist but there was one diamond that should be recovered and looked at through a prism from all angles. It was a terrific post by Kerry Stead; and was completely independent of our regional event.
I wonder whether I could persuade you to post Kerry's invitation on a new independent thread; thread title to your choice.

tks
starter