PDA

View Full Version : Copyright and the preservation of Australian Chess Literature

blackbishop
25-02-2020, 05:59 PM
I imagine Ian Murray is, right now, busy scanning his Queensland Chess Magazine thereby preserving his work,
chess history, chess characters and games etc for any interested person to enjoy online.

For someone holding a copyright and wanting to preserve the work, there are, as far as I can see, two choices.

1. The copyright holder can donate hard copies of their work to a library. The work will not be available online.

2. The copyright holder can undertake the arduous task of scanning perhaps years of work.

If the copyright holder is deceased then the following, don't quote me, situation may apply.

1. The author's work has an automatic 70 year copyright protection from the time of death.
2. Copyright is like property and can be bequeathed in a will.
3. The will does not have to explicitly state each item of property. "All of my estate I bequeath to..."
4. There is no government or otherwise registration list that can be consulted to find out who holds the copyright.
5. The Department of Communications and the Arts overseas copyright.
6. Copyright can be transferred but it must be in writing and signed by the copyright owner or their agent.

blackbishop
25-02-2020, 07:22 PM
"As a result of the Administrative Arrangement Order introduced on 5 December 2019, the functions that were previously the responsibility of the Department of Communications and the Arts
have been transferred to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications as of 1 February 2020."

blackbishop
25-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Perhaps it is possible for the ACF or State Chess Associations to overcome the difficulties associated with copyright by using the Safe Harbour Scheme.

"Safe harbour provisions will be extended to include the disability, education, library, archive and cultural sectors through the Copyright Amendment (Service Providers) Bill 2017.

The new measures will protect these sectors from legal liability where they can demonstrate they have taken reasonable steps to reduce copyright infringement on their online platforms. The measures will also make it easier for copyright owners to work with these sectors to prevent copyright infringement by their users."

https://www.communications.gov.au/departmental-news/reforms-copyright-safe-harbour-scheme

blackbishop
26-02-2020, 02:08 PM
I have emailed the Federal Government department in charge of copyright, asking if it would be possible, under the existing copyright laws, to establish an archive of C J S Purdy's magazines.

Bill Gletsos
26-02-2020, 07:01 PM
I have emailed the Federal Government department in charge of copyright, asking if it would be possible, under the existing copyright laws, to establish an archive of C J S Purdy's magazines.I seriously doubt that is possible given that the recently deceased Bob Long was the authorised publisher of the collected works of C.J.S. Purdy. Any other rights would no doubt reside with Purdy’s descendants.

Kevin Bonham
25-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Thread split

As most of the posts on the thread seem to be unconnected to the original topic and rather to be a collection of single-post historical items I have moved those unconnected to the copyright issue here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?17974-Australian-chess-history-and-publications-(misc-)

(Happy to take alternative suggestions for the title of the split thread via Private Message).

blackbishop
25-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Some while ago, I wrote to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications regarding establishing an online archive of chess magazines.

Although they understandably could not provide me with any specific legal advice, they did say that to ascertain the copyright owner of the publications, you may wish to contact Copyright Agency,
which are the statutory collecting society for much of the literary arts sector including authors, publishers and surveyors. Copyright Agency collects and distributes royalty payments to its members,
and also arranges commercial licences. Contact details are:

Toll-free phone number (landlines only): 1800 066 844
Phone: +612 9394 7600
Fax: +612 9394 7601
Address: Level 12, 66 Goulburn Street, Sydney, 2000

I have not sort legal advice on this matter and have not yet contacted the Copyright Agency.

blackbishop
25-03-2020, 02:18 PM
I did attempt to contact by ordinary mail (stamps cost $1.10 now) a relative of C J S Purdy to find out about copyright of his chess magazines.
As I received no reply, either I had the wrong person or I was seen as intruding in a family matter.

blackbishop
30-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Finger poised over the scan button, only another thirty years to wait. I think I will make myself a cup of tea.

jammo
30-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Finger poised over the scan button, only another thirty years to wait. I think I will make myself a cup of tea.

Did not Bill Gletsos suggest that the copyright was probably held by Bob Long (recently deceased). I agree.

blackbishop
30-03-2020, 09:19 PM
He may not have had any rights over the magazines. I really don't know what the situation is. Its seems to me that the best bet for
preserving Australian chess history would be through those magazines and newsletters produced by arrangement with a Chess Association and authored or edited by the living
such as your good self. Copyright may perhaps not be a problem in that case.

jammo
31-03-2020, 01:15 PM
He may not have had any rights over the magazines. I really don't know what the situation is. Its seems to me that the best bet for
preserving Australian chess history would be through those magazines and newsletters produced by arrangement with a Chess Association and authored or edited by the living
such as your good self. Copyright may perhaps not be a problem in that case.

I think the major concern should be whether or not chess publications in electronic form will be preserved into the future ..... will there be copies in the Anderson Collection for example? Publications like the ACF Newsletter and 50 Moves Magazine need to be preserved. As for chess history ..... I have most Australian publications from the time I was collecting and involved in chess and I plan to pass them on to the State Library in due course. I’ve already given them about 20 boxes of my foreign language material. A bigger question is does anyone still read books/magazines these days?

Patrick Byrom
31-03-2020, 02:49 PM
I think the major concern should be whether or not chess publications in electronic form will be preserved into the future ..... will there be copies in the Anderson Collection for example? Publications like the ACF Newsletter and 50 Moves Magazine need to be preserved. As for chess history ..... I have most Australian publications from the time I was collecting and involved in chess and I plan to pass them on to the State Library in due course. I’ve already given them about 20 boxes of my foreign language material.The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive preserves copies of websites - the ACF Newsletter Archive is here (https://web.archive.org/web/20200311184259/http://auschess.org.au/acf-newsletter-archive/) (and it's also still on the ACF website, of course).

A bigger question is does anyone still read books/magazines these days?If you go to your local newsagent, you'll see plenty of magazines on all sorts of subjects - except chess, unfortunately :(

blackbishop
31-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Jammo have raised some important questions. Hopefully others will express an opinion and share the information they have.

It would be interesting to hear from Ian Murray who has started work on scanning Queensland Chess. Bob Meadley is a chess
historian and would know his way around all the available archives.

Some input from the Chess Associations and Chess clubs, such as that from Patrick Byrom, would be good.

blackbishop
07-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Recently Mrs Felicity Purdy contacted me by phone. We had a good talk about the preservation of C J S Purdy’s work. She made the point that C J S was the editor of
the magazines and that others, as well as Purdy, contributed articles to his magazines. Mrs Purdy is recovering well from a serious operation.

Thinkers Press has been doing a good job in keeping C J S Purdy’s works available to the public and promoting Purdy as one of the best chess teachers.
They had been re publishing earlier books under new titles in a modern format. While they may not specifically have copy or publishing rights over Purdy’s magazines,
the books partly consist of the educational articles that once appeared in the magazines. They may take a dim view of people scanning these magazines and providing
free access to them on the net. So I think that Jammo and Bill Gletsos are right; there are copyright problems in scanning Purdy’s magazines.

The Chess Associations consist of people who are already doing their bit in organizing chess for the rest of us so we can hardly expect them to take on a lot of additional
work ferreting out past association newsletters and magazines, scanning them and adding them to their archives. Maybe there are a few individuals who will contribute.

jammo
07-04-2020, 03:13 PM
They may take a dim view of people scanning these magazines and providing
free access to them on the net. So I think that Jammo and Bill Gletsos are right; there are copyright problems in scanning Purdy’s magazines.

Strange comment given “they” = Thinkers Press = Bob Long and he has passed away. Makes it hard for him to take a dim view.

blackbishop
07-04-2020, 11:12 PM
The company appears to be still operating at the moment.

antichrist
07-04-2020, 11:46 PM
Strange comment given “they” = Thinkers Press = Bob Long and he has passed away. Makes it hard for him to take a dim view.

Well a dim view is much more likely than a strong view considering the circumstances. That Thinkers Press used to print atheistic literature about a hundred years ago.

blackbishop
08-04-2020, 06:23 AM
Thinkers Press was largely run by one man, Bob Long, as Jammo states. He was working on distributing another revamped Purdy book at the time of his death.
Perhaps Thinkers Press will continue somehow.

jammo
08-04-2020, 11:08 AM
The company appears to be still operating at the moment.

I think that is unlikely. What is your basis for thinking so?

blackbishop
08-04-2020, 12:51 PM
From the US Chess Federation:

https://new.uschess.org/news/chess-publisher-bob-long-dead-74/

blackbishop
08-04-2020, 02:51 PM
I think that is unlikely. What is your basis for thinking so?

The Book Depository seems to be still delivering books. They mention delays in delivering books to various countries due to the pandemic.

In the obituary, a son, a daughter and a sister are mentioned. The son and the sister are said to have worked in the business in the past and may be helping now.

I understand that you knew Bob and that you were involved in the production of some of the books he published.

jammo
08-04-2020, 06:48 PM
The Book Depository seems to be still delivering books. They mention delays in delivering books to various countries due to the pandemic.

In the obituary, a son, a daughter and a sister are mentioned. The son and the sister are said to have worked in the business in the past and may be helping now.

I understand that you knew Bob and that you were involved in the production of some of the books he published.

Yes, I was heavily involved with Bob bringing out the latest edition of Search for Chess Perfection which came out in December 2019. The Book Depository lists it as “unavailable” now whilst I obtained a copy after Bob’s death from Amazon. Clearly some copies made it to retailers before Bob was killed. His family may have helped in the business but I don’t think they had Bob’s expertise in chess such they could carry on the publishing of new titles for instance.

I’m struggling to think of anyone who would be put out by the copying of Purdy’s old magazines and books.

blackbishop
09-04-2020, 08:32 AM
I will wait a few months before doing any scanning to see if Thinkers Press can be continued by the Long family, or sold to someone who will continue it.
Meanwhile, I will enquire as to what magazines are available here in Brisbane and list them on this thread. It is probably that only thirty or forty of Purdy's
later magazines will be found here. so that all I can do is to make a start on preserving his work.

ER
09-04-2020, 09:43 AM
… I will enquire as to what magazines are available here in Brisbane and list them on this thread. It is probably that only thirty or forty of Purdy's
later magazines will be found here. so that all I can do is to make a start on preserving his work.

I would strongly suggest you contact SA Chess Asc as well. There's a treasure of chess related (amongst which many Australian) magazines in their Chess Centre!

blackbishop
15-04-2020, 05:17 PM

blackbishop
19-04-2020, 12:18 PM
January 1958

The Australian Population was 9.8 million. Robert Menzies was Prime Minister.

The European Economic Community (EEC) comes into being.

Sputnik 1 (launched on October 4, 1957) falls to Earth from its orbit, and burns up.

Bobby Fischer, 14, wins the United States Chess Championship.

The first successful American satellite, Explorer 1, is launched into orbit.

Click on the link or copy the link into a Browser.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ci2yeelvx9cwa00/AAB0AK7LhureiIZu0sSHKg1na?dl=0

Adamski
19-04-2020, 02:14 PM
January 1958

The Australian Population was 9.8 million. Robert Menzies was Prime Minister.

The European Economic Community (EEC) comes into being.

Sputnik 1 (launched on October 4, 1957) falls to Earth from its orbit, and burns up.

Bobby Fischer, 14, wins the United States Chess Championship.

The first successful American satellite, Explorer 1, is launched into orbit.

Click on the link or copy the link into a Browser.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ci2yeelvx9cwa00/AAB0AK7LhureiIZu0sSHKg1na?dl=0Nice highlights of the year including Fischer!

blackbishop
21-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Two pages of the Chess World magazine are displayed side by side. If you are seeing just one page then you need to zoom out.
It is probably best to use "Full Screen". Each magazine should be searchable if the file is downloaded. The files were scanned at 150 pixels per inch

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hh5zcqpear97qt8/AADv8U-Xw94OK2sqddyj7TFta?dl=0

blackbishop
25-04-2020, 10:00 AM

The population of Australia is 7.8 million.

Monarch: George V1, Prime Minister: Ben Chifley

Communists seize power in Czechoslovakia.

U.S. Congress ratifies Marshall Plan, approving $17 billion in European aid.

The first Holden car, popularly known as the FX, rolls off the assembly line. The on-road cost is approximately £760.

HMAS Sydney is commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy as its first aircraft carrier.

Mahatma Gandhi assassinated in India.

Botvinnik wins World Chess Championships in a five player event: Euwe, Smyslov, Keres, Botvinnik, and Reshevsky

Use Full Screen

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/23vtb9k3ojcfxtm/AAC18QmH7tsbxjxn86qECnP5a?dl=0

blackbishop
25-04-2020, 03:27 PM

Large demonstrations held around the world against the Vietnam War.

Race riots in the U.S. destroyed parts of Detroit and other northern cities.

Elvis Presley married Priscilla in Las Vegas.

Astronauts Virgil Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee are killed when a flash fire erupted inside their capsule at Cape Kennedy, Florida during a launch pad test.

Israel wins the Six- Day War against Egypt, Jordan, and Syria.

The 1967 Interzonal Tournament was played in Sousse, Tunisia. The first six place getters qualified for the Candidates. A major controversy occurred when Bobby Fischer, who was leading the tournament with seven wins and three draws in ten rounds, abandoned the event over a dispute with the organisers.

Missing magazines from 1967: January, May, June, July, August, November, December

Use Full Screen

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b245vmkwvg7rzww/AADJJWRrd1liW-zadr02riYya?dl=0

blackbishop
27-04-2020, 07:09 AM

Fidel Castro's forces victorious in Cuban revolution.

Alaska and Hawaii become U.S. states.

Vice President Richard Nixon engages Soviet leader Khrushchev in an informal "kitchen debate" at a Moscow trade show where U.S. kitchen appliances are on exhibit.

The Melbourne outdoor performance venue the Sidney Myer Music Bowl is officially opened by Prime Minister Robert Menzies.

Tibetans revolt against the Chinese in Lhasa, but the uprising is suppressed.

American evangelist Billy Graham begins a tour of Australia.

The 1959 Candidates Tournament was held in Yugoslavia in Bled, Zagreb, and Belgrade. The top two players from the previous tournament, Smyslov and Keres, were seeded directly into the tournament and joined by the top six from the interzonal. Mikhail Tal won, becoming the challenger in the 1960 championship match.

Use Full Screen

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fvja0o4iatoz44p/AAD9Swtpmx6RRPWD2kECQp_sa?dl=0

blackbishop
28-04-2020, 08:35 AM
The magazines are being scanned using the free program Scan2pdf on an old ASUS laptop using the Ubuntu operating system and an old Canon Pixma printer/scanner. Scan2pdf is also available as a free Windows download.

The program takes around ten minutes to scan a Chess World magazine.

For the cover of the magazine, the “Bottom Right x” setting is 210 and the “Bottom Right y” setting is 135. These settings can be altered by clicking on Scan then clicking on Geometry.

For scanning two pages of the magazine simultaneously, the “Bottom-Right x” setting is 210 and the “Bottom-Right y” setting is 277. The magazine is placed flush with the left side and top side of the scanner.

Top-Left x and Top left y are set at ( 0, 0 ). Paper size: Manual

Check Rotation to scan and rotate by 90 degrees each page in one operation.

On saving the scanned material, the Scan2pdf program creates a single pdf file of the scanned pages.

blackbishop
28-04-2020, 01:51 PM

US Enters the Vietnam War.

South African police kill 69 black protesters in the Sharpeville massacre

The IRA starts it's fight against the British.

John F Kennedy wins the presidential election.

Chubby Chequer and The Twist start a new dance craze.

Malayan government declares the state of emergency is over, as the communist forces are defeated.

Soviet missile shoots down the US U2 spy plane.

Aluminium Cans used for the first time.

The 1960 World Chess Championship was played between Mikhail Botvinnik and Mikhail Tal in Moscow from March 15 to May 7, 1960. Botvinnik was the reigning champion having won the World Chess Championship in 1958. Tal won in 1960 by a margin of 4 points.

Missing January and November

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5166l6sdtm1zkdm/AADPKCXfNpuYnHYy6aLJICjAa?dl=0

blackbishop
28-04-2020, 04:50 PM

The Australian population was 11.65 million.

A B-52 bomber collides with a KC-135 Stratotanker over Spain, dropping three 70-kiloton hydrogen bombs near the town of Palomares, and one into the sea.

Harold Holt scores a massive victory in the 1966 federal election, and is returned to power with the largest majority in the federal parliament's 65-year history.

Worlds first vertical Jump Jet the Harrier is introduced.

English Channel Hovercraft service begins.

Tigran Petrosian beats Boris Spassky and wins the world chess championship held in Moscow.

Display files using Full Screen

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d2d6juqe78dy1t6/AAB7U5q2fD793D6NxFmxeR1Ma?dl=0

blackbishop
29-04-2020, 07:16 AM
The magazines are being scanned using the free program Scan2pdf on an old ASUS laptop using the Ubuntu operating system and an old Canon Pixma printer/scanner. Scan2pdf is also available as a free Windows download.

The program takes around ten minutes to scan a Chess World magazine.

For the cover of the magazine, the “Bottom Right x” setting is 210 and the “Bottom Right y” setting is 135. These settings can be altered by clicking on Scan then clicking on Geometry.

For scanning two pages of the magazine simultaneously, the “Bottom-Right x” setting is 210 and the “Bottom-Right y” setting is 277. The magazine is placed flush with the left side and top side of the scanner.

Top-Left x and Top left y are set at ( 0, 0 ). Paper size: Manual

Check Rotation to scan and rotate by 90 degrees each page in one operation.

On saving the scanned material, the Scan2pdf program creates a single pdf file of the scanned pages.

Slight error here. Actually, the program used for scanning the Chess World magazines in called gscan2pdf.

Anyone interested in scanning a few Chess World magazines not on the Brisbane list displayed a few posts back? :D

I am using 150 dpi with the above settings.

antichrist
29-04-2020, 07:55 AM
In the 1967 edition surely the most important event was Fischer walking out of a tournament due to disagreement with organisers. Btw was he one of the qualifiers? I guess yes

blackbishop
29-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first person to orbit Earth (Vostok 1)

The United States launches it's first man in space Alan Shepard on the Freedom 7

Berlin Wall is built, dividing East and West Germany.

American-backed Cuban exiles fail in an attempt to invade Cuba at the Bay of Pigs.

After a 4½ year trial Nelson Mandela is acquitted of treason in Pretoria.

Vietnam war begins.

The 1961 World Chess Championship was played between former champion Mikhail Botvinnik and champion Mikhail Tal in Moscow from March 15 to May 13, 1961. Tal had unseated Botvinnik in the 1960 match, entitling Botvinnik to a rematch the next year. Tal was strong favourite due to his heavy win the previous year, and being 25 years younger. Botvinnik won convincingly, by a 13-8 margin, regaining the world title.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/35jicyy2kxzkiak/AACpQwzHIJRk56cWB2bDVofga?dl=0

blackbishop
29-04-2020, 12:55 PM
In the 1967 edition surely the most important event was Fischer walking out of a tournament due to disagreement with organisers. Btw was he one of the qualifiers? I guess yes

It seems that Fischer did not qualify for the Candidates. He became World Champion in 1972.

blackbishop
30-04-2020, 01:48 PM

Assassination of the US President Kennedy which thrust Lyndon Johnson into the role of president and the murder two days later of Lee Harvey Oswald by nightclub owner Jack Ruby.

Martin Luther King Jr was arrested.

Vietnam War and civil rights protests continued.

In music, Beatlemania began after they released "I Want To Hold Your Hand. I Saw Her Standing There" and "Meet the Beatles".

The Candidates tournament held in 1962 was an 8 player, quadruple round robin. Petrosian emerged victorious, winning 17.5/28. Keres and Geller came second (each with 17/24), so played an eight game match won by Keres. In 4th place was Fischer (14/28), followed by Korchnoi (13.5/28), Benko (12/28), and Tal and Filip (each with 7/28).

The 1963 World Chess Championship was between 51 year old defending champion Mikhail Botvinnik and 33 year old challenger Tigran Vartanovich Petrosian both from the Soviet Union. Petrosian became the new world champion with five wins to two and fifteen draws.

Missing June, August, September.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ro5lky1rnms2l3v/AACNRe2VNoTaMgkWP9w3sCo2a?dl=0

Bill Gletsos
30-04-2020, 06:00 PM
[SIZE=3]Missing magazines from 1967: January, May, June, July, August, November, DecemberJust an FYI that there were no November/December issues.

ER
30-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Btw was he one of the qualifiers? I guess yes
No.

blackbishop
01-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Just an FYI that there were no November/December issues.

Thank you for the information.

blackbishop
01-05-2020, 11:32 AM
After many years of misery through the depression and World War 11, postwar prosperity is starting to get underway with companies now able to supply the cars, televisions and the other goods demanded in a consumer society.
RCA Perfects a system for broadcasting colour television based on John Logie Baird’s earlier work.
Soap Operas began on TV. Soap manufacturers often sponsored the shows
Mao Tse Tung proclaims the Communist People's Republic of China. The Nationalists flee to Taiwan.
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation established.
Soviet Union detonates its first atomic bomb.
Soviet Union lifts Berlin blockade; Berlin airlift ends.
Apartheid becomes official government policy in South Africa.

Eileen Tranmer (1910-1983) scored a perfect 11-0 score to win the British Ladies' Chess Championship. Harry Golombek won the British Championship.
In January, 1949, John Purdy won the Australian chess championship.
In July, 1949, the first FIDE Grandmaster list appeared with 17 people named as Grandmasters.
In November 20, 1949, David Bronstein and Vasily Smyslov tied in 17th USSR Championship.

Use Full Screen

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbx4pxbpscjn6zs/AABMhVHHIIlVHvjTbEB5_Rm7a?dl=0

blackbishop
02-05-2020, 07:52 AM
John Glenn orbits the Earth.
Bob Dylan first performed “Blowing in the Wind”.
Steptoe and Son makes British TV debut.
Death of Marilyn Monroe.
Nelson Mandela arrested. Mandela was later convicted of sabotage and given a life sentence.
First Bond film released.
James Meredith became the first African American student to attend the previously all-white University of Mississippi.

The 5th Interzonal Tournament at Stockholm was won by Bobby Fischer (USA) with 17.5/22. Tigran Petrosian (USSR) and Efim Geller (USSR) tied for 2nd–3rd with 15 points. The 5th Candidates Tournament in Curaçao was won by Tigran Petrosian. Petrosian went on to defeat Botvinnik in the 1963 World Championship.

Missing January, March, April, October, December.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/px670vmyfgte2sl/AACSaIdLSM9rMQ8ZGfspW38oa?dl=0

blackbishop
02-05-2020, 09:17 PM

Boxer Cassius Clay became Muhammad Ali and the heavyweight champion of the world.
Civil war begins between Turks and Greeks in Cyprus.
The aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne and the destroyer HMAS Voyager collide, with the loss of 82 lives.
Donald Campbell sets new land speed record of 429 miles per hour in his jet-propelled car "Bluebird" at Lake Eyre.
President Lyndon Johnson escalated U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War.
The Surgeon General reports that smoking may lead to lung cancer.

The 16th Chess Olympiad organised by FIDE took place in Tel Aviv, Israel. This was Australia’s first Chess Olympiad. The Soviet team with 6 GMs, led by world champion Petrosian, won their seventh consecutive gold medal, with Yugoslavia and West Germany taking the silver and bronze, respectively. David Ben-Gurion presented the trophy to the winning USSR team.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/86o3tc4iarkvi0t/AAA0s3hEYt3lSO2sTNmvYqBva?dl=0

Bill Gletsos
02-05-2020, 11:22 PM
4148I would have thought there were more issues in Brisbane, or is that actually just a list of the copies you own.

blackbishop
03-05-2020, 07:27 AM
I would have thought there were more issues in Brisbane, or is that actually just a list of the copies you own.

The magazines scanned were borrowed from Mark Stokes, CAQ President. They would represent less than 20% of Purdy’s total output. I don’t think that I have ever seen an issue of the Australasian Chess Review (1929–1944) or Check (1944–45) renamed as Chess World (1946–1967).

If a more suitable and more permanent home could be found for the scans, I would be happy to scan more magazines and email the files if more magazines come to light here. In the meantime, in the absence of a permanent home, I can provide my email address, Chess Chat permitting, so that anyone wanting to add to the collection could email me the scans so that I can add them to my dropbox and post them on Chess Chat.

antichrist
03-05-2020, 07:38 AM
Some idiot had to whinge! If these were scanned and posted here chronologically we could get a genuine timeline of world events and of Fischer's career. So far we have withdrawn from Vietnam before entering, Hiroshima was A bombed before it was invented and Fischer's ratings are going downwards. Half in jest.

blackbishop
03-05-2020, 07:54 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qgraflo6333id7y/AACrHDxppuoHaI9lUGjI-txWa?dl=0

blackbishop
03-05-2020, 08:01 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dg4lf83ql08p5i2/AACakhsh4qlVUnHgv5biAL5ka?dl=0

blackbishop
03-05-2020, 08:07 AM
Some idiot had to whinge! If these were scanned and posted here chronologically we could get a genuine timeline of world events and of Fischer's career. So far we have withdrawn from Vietnam before entering, Hiroshima was A bombed before it was invented and Fischer's ratings are going downwards. Half in jest.

Sorry for the chronological distress. I don't recall A bombing Hiroshima yet. Not tomorrow, since these seems to be the last scans to post.

antichrist
03-05-2020, 08:10 AM
Thanks black bishop for excellent job. I see Cecil's magazine was 2s, exactly the same price as John Webster used to charge down the Sydney Domain for his outrageous blasphemous single page newsletter rant - ronoed on both sides. Webster would sell hundreds in a few minutes after his hilarious rant. We can honur both gentlemen from a bygone era. And to think to my great regret that I refused a world champion a game - biggest knunbskull of OZ chess

blackbishop
08-08-2020, 04:13 PM
A few more Chess World magazines have been added to the 1964 Dropbox download thanks to Patrick and the Brisbane Chess Club.

Patrick Byrom
08-08-2020, 04:36 PM
If anybody is looking for missing issues to scan:

Wondering if anyone can tell me a fair price for all bound volumes of Purdy's Chess World from 1946 - 1967 inclusive? I'm told they're hard to come by as a complete set .... Thanks.

iSage
08-08-2020, 11:22 PM
The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive preserves copies of websites - the ACF Newsletter Archive is here (https://web.archive.org/web/20200311184259/http://auschess.org.au/acf-newsletter-archive/) (and it's also still on the ACF website, of course).

The files appear to be in a directory on the ACF website but are not linked to https://auschess.org.au/acf-newsletter-archive/. I will add this to my list of website things to do.

blackbishop
02-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Canberra's Paul Dunn, blessed be his name, is destined to occupy a seat in Chess Heaven on the right hand side of Caissa, the Chess Goddess, for his effort over many years as ACF Games Archivist, in compiling and collating records of games played in major Australian events.

This great resource and historical record is available to all at: www.ozbase.com.au.

The seat on the left hand side of Caissa is vacant. To apply read: 4704

blackbishop
04-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Ian has completed scanning ten years worth of his quarterly chess magazine “Queensland Chess News”. These will appear on the Chess Association of Queensland website thanks to David Esmonde.

David’s company AuNix, hosts both the Australian Chess Federation and the Chess Association of Queensland’s websites. The magazines will provide games and a history of the years covered as has the archive of past bulletins and newsletters on the ACF website.

David provides live coverage of games in Brisbane events and is building an archive of games played in both senior and junior events. The latest event is the “2020 QLD Inter-Schools State Finals”

See: https://livechess.aunz.net/

blackbishop
04-12-2020, 02:48 PM
Trove is associated with the National Library of Australia and the provision of free downloadable
materials. They partner with a wide range of organisations, including the State Libraries, to provide this service. Scanned newspapers and magazines, going back into the 1800s and freely available online, provide much of our chess history up until around 1950.They are after volunteers to help them with their work.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/

The State Library of Victoria is, in the minds of chess players, associated with the Anderson Collection, much of which is apparently held in Ballarat. It seems to be the go to place when the time comes to seek a final resting place for that collection of chess books and magazines you collected or have inherited.

The State libraries mainly cater for residents of the state. The services they provide are not generally available outside of the state. The State Library of Victoria provides some free downloadable materials to residents of Victoria, not much of which would be chess related.

They did, before the onset of the pandemic offer to scan a desired item at the rate of $16.50
for fifty pages. I am not sure if this has resumed or if it is available to interstate people.

https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/free-journals-databases-and-ebooks/ebookshelf

State Based Archivists

What might interest chess players is an online, free collection of downloadable Australian chess magazines and newsletters such as those produced by the ACF and the state associations. I don’t think that this is going to happen through the State Libraries.

The Chess Association of Queensland is, I am told, about to appoint an Archivist for the first time.

Perhaps something good would come of state and territory chess association appointed Archivists who, as a minimum, would act as a collection point for the state’s chess magazines that people may be inclined to donate. Arrangements could be made to preserve the magazines content by scanning.

Perhaps, as is the case with Ian Murray’s Queensland Chess News, the scans would find their way on to the association’s website. Perhaps the scans could be donated to Trove.

Each state has its own chess history to tell and is best placed to gather the remnants of that history by collecting their own magazines and newsletters.

blackbishop
07-12-2020, 07:52 AM
These photos are from the "Queensland International Chess Tournament Souvenir Booklet", which will be available to download soon.

blackbishop
07-12-2020, 08:07 AM

blackbishop
07-12-2020, 10:13 AM

blackbishop
07-12-2020, 01:43 PM
This tournament was run by the Chess Association of Queensland under the presidency of Gunther Stock. It involved four grand masters and three international masters and took place at the MLC Centre, Brisbane. Ian Rogers obtained an IM norm at the tournament. The Tournament Arbiter was Alan Thomas.

The tournament was won by GM Anatoly Lein with GM Raymond Keene second and not yet GM Ian Rogers third.

The excellent booklet was edited by former Queensland Champion and noted author David Lovejoy,

https://www.echo.net.au/author/david/

while the Associate Editor was another Queensland Champion and teacher/tutor Bruce Holliday. The Publisher was the CAQ.

The “Queensland International Chess Tournament 1979, Souvenir Booklet” is listed on Trove

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/10193457?keyword=Queensland%20International%20Ches s%20Tournament%201979%20Souvenir%20Booklet

At present, it cannot be downloaded from Trove, the greatest online source of Australian Chess History. Meanwhile, you can view or download a copy from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r9iwvvkq1vp63o/Queensland%20Chess.pdf?dl=0

blackbishop
11-12-2020, 11:20 AM
I attempted to donate a scan of the Queensland International 1979 magazine directly to Trove using their 50 megabyte file upload facility. There should be no copyright problems with this magazine since it was financed and published by the CAQ and I was able to contact the two editors.

It seems that Trove prefers that donations should not be sent directly to them. They say:

“The best way for these items to come into Trove is to donate them to a cultural institution like your State library or the National Library.

You can find information about donating items to the National Library of Australia here:

https://www.nla.gov.au/support-us/donate-collection-material

I am sure the other institutions would be able to provide you with similar information. You may need to contact them directly, all of their details can be found through the Australian Libraries Gateway:

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/libraries