PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Oceania Youth and U20 Events Pre-Discussion (Event Postponed)

Unrated
23-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Is this an annual tournament ? if yes, then does anyone know where and when will the next one be held.

lost
24-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Is this an annual tournament ? if yes, then does anyone know where and when will the next one be held.

Dear all,

Oceania Junior (U/20) will be held in Honiara, Solomon Islands next year. Dates will be made in advance for everyone to prepare on sending players. As for the Oceania Youth and Cadets, I believe no country has put there hands up yet but I could be mistaken.

lost

kwoodley
16-12-2019, 11:56 AM

The ACT Junior Chess League is currently putting together a bid with a view to hosting the 2020 Oceania Youth Championships (under 8 - under 18 open/girls divisions) in Canberra during the September/October school holidays

Kate (ACT Junior Chess League Secretary)

MichaelBaron
19-12-2019, 10:57 AM
The ACT Junior Chess League is currently putting together a bid with a view to hosting the 2020 Oceania Youth Championships (under 8 - under 18 open/girls divisions) in Canberra during the September/October school holidays

Will all the winners get FM titles? :)

Zelgiusfan5000
19-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Probably, although since there is no U20 section I doubt GM norm will be awarded this time. Guess we’ll see a new group of sub-2300 IMs next year...

MichaelBaron
20-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Probably, although since there is no U20 section I doubt GM norm will be awarded this time. Guess we’ll see a new group of sub-2300 IMs next year...

You mean they will get IM titles, not FM? Omg...:evil:
This is ridiculous!

MichaelBaron
20-12-2019, 02:22 PM
FIDE has advised the following results for Australian players.

I have claimed the FM/WFM titles and the norms have been registered.

I will be contacting any winners of claimable CM/WCM titles who have told us they wish to claim them - see post 49.

Any winners of claimable CM/WCM titles who have not yet contacted me also see post 49.

This post will be used to track progress on claims.

Zelesco, Karl - GM Norm - norm has been registered - KB
Cannon, David - FM title, IM conditional 2200 rating - FM title has been claimed and awarded - KB
Chan, Kris - FM title - has been claimed and awarded - KB
Wang, Kayson - CM title, FM conditional 2100 rating
Zou, Brendan - CM title - has been claimed and awarded - KB
Zillmann, Shawn - CM conditional 2000 rating
Lim, Christopher - CM conditional 2000 rating - has been claimed and awarded based on subsequent live rating - KB
Li, Oliver - CM conditional 2000 rating
Ooi, Jayden - CM conditional 2000 rating
Zhao, Tiger Chengxin - CM conditional 2000 rating
Ni, Lucas - CM conditional 2000 rating
Wang, Daniel - CM conditional 2000 rating
Lim, Cassandra - WIM Norm, WFM conditional 1900 rating - condition has been met, title has been claimed and awarded, norm has been registered - KB
Wong, Cern - WCM conditional 1800 rating
Chang, Sophie - WFM conditional 1900 rating
Retnaraja, Athena-Malar - WCM conditional 1800 rating
Feng, Angela - WCM conditional 1800 rating

David Cannon - IM on reaching 2200???

MichaelBaron
20-12-2019, 02:25 PM
You mean they will get IM titles, not FM? Omg...:evil:
This is ridiculous!

I have another suggestion then...in USSR strong candidate Masters had to win a match against a Master (back in the 1940's50's) to gain a title. May be before processing those applications - we could ask the players to play a match against a 2400 rated IM (or at least 2300+rated IM) to ''confirm'' their rights to the title.

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2019, 04:06 PM
David Cannon - IM on reaching 2200???

Yes. 2200 live rating. Currently on 2175, so will happen any day now.

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2019, 04:15 PM

This is what the winners get:

U20 - 1st after tiebreak GM norm, 1st= up to three IM title
U18 - IM title, 1st equal up to three IM norm
U16 - IM norm, 1st equal up to three FM title
U14 - FM title
U12 - FM title
U10 - CM title (includes =1st up to three)
U8 - CM title (includes =1st up to three)

The norms are unconditional. The titles are conditional on the player reaching or having reached (x-200) as a live rating, where x is the normal rating requirement for that title, so IM 2200, FM 2100, CM 2000 etc.

Female winners get the female equivalent. However there are some limits re number of entries that means female titles especially are sometimes not awardable.

Kevin Bonham
20-12-2019, 04:20 PM
I have another suggestion then...in USSR strong candidate Masters had to win a match against a Master (back in the 1940's50's) to gain a title. May be before processing those applications - we could ask the players to play a match against a 2400 rated IM (or at least 2300+rated IM) to ''confirm'' their rights to the title.

This would be ineffective as if a player's federation refuses to apply to FIDE for a title a player has qualified for the player can just apply to FIDE directly and pay the fee themselves.

Furthermore it is ACF policy to apply for and pay for all titles our players qualify for above FM/WFM level, with the exception of some inactive players eligible for FM. The reason for this is to prevent a situation in which a deserving player misses a norm because one of their opponents had failed to claim a title.

MichaelBaron
21-12-2019, 01:01 AM
This is what the winners get:

U20 - 1st after tiebreak GM norm, 1st= up to three IM title
U18 - IM title, 1st equal up to three IM norm
U16 - IM norm, 1st equal up to three FM title
U14 - FM title
U12 - FM title
U10 - CM title (includes =1st up to three)
U8 - CM title (includes =1st up to three)

The norms are unconditional. The titles are conditional on the player reaching or having reached (x-200) as a live rating, where x is the normal rating requirement for that title, so IM 2200, FM 2100, CM 2000 etc.

Female winners get the female equivalent. However there are some limits re number of entries that means female titles especially are sometimes not awardable.

I would not mind them getting norms as they still need to get rating up..but direct IM titles to players who are ''fighting'' to get to 2200...

Chinthaka
13-01-2020, 11:01 AM

Is this confirmed yet? Any news on it if not?

kwoodley
13-01-2020, 01:32 PM
Is this confirmed yet? Any news on it if not?

It's not confirmed at this stage. I hope that we will be able to provide an update at the end of January.

kwoodley
04-02-2020, 03:28 PM
Apologies for the delay in posting an update. I've been advised that the ACTJCL intends to go ahead with hosting the 2020 Oceania Youth Chess Championship in Canberra. The provisional dates for the event are 27th September (arrival) - 3rd October (departure) with the main tournament held from Monday 28th September - Friday 2nd October.

Venue is TBC (hopefully, I can advise in the next week or two).

Note that this tournament is the youth championship for under 8 - under 18 open/girls age categories only. The Solomon Islands will host the 2020 Oceania Junior Chess Championship which is for under 20 (open/girls) age categories in June-July.

Kate

Bill Gletsos
23-02-2020, 01:59 PM
As only players who are registered under countries within the FIDE Oceania zone can play in the Oceania Zonal then it would make sense that for these tournaments the same condition should apply.

kwoodley
15-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Given the current circumstances, the ACT Junior Chess League has decided to postpone the Oceania Youth Chess Championship. We intend to hold the event during September/October 2021 in Canberra (subject to approval by the Oceania Chess Confederation and the Asian Chess Federation).

Kate Woodley
ACT Junior Chess League Secretary

ChessGuru
09-04-2020, 10:27 PM
Sensible decision - any chance you'd want to share with the players an opportunity to play online instead? A few of us are getting together a JOOC League!

www.chess.com.au

Shaun94
16-04-2020, 12:25 PM
I find that website domain to be very misleading, as is the whole idea of an oceania tournament that is made up of private companies that has no official standing or status. I like the idea of interstate/international online events happening in the meantime but I think it should be more impartial and possibly have some level of quality control and standard possibly even be governed by ACF or Oceania chess.