PDA

View Full Version : Live games

Pages : [1] 2 3

Trent Parker
28-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Where are the live games?

I go to Mtbullerchess.com click on live games and i get games from the schools teams......

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 02:04 PM
I notice the first round pairings are not up either.

jenni
28-12-2004, 02:06 PM
They might be having trouble getting the DGT's going. It all went very smoothly at the schools, but often it takes a bit of time to get the comms going.

jenni
28-12-2004, 02:13 PM
I notice the first round pairings are not up either.

Maybe they are late starting, because people are still trying to fight their way through the snow drifts :lol:

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Maybe they are late starting, because people are still trying to fight their way through the snow drifts :lol:
Maybe the arbiters havent provided it to the webmaster.
Isnt speculation just grand. :lol:

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Maybe the arbiters havent provided it to the webmaster.

Haven't received anything.

jenni
28-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Haven't received anything.
I preferred my version...

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Maybe their communication is down because of the weather.

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Bad news. We are unable to transmit the dgt boards today due to lack of a specific kind of adaptor required.

Gary Bekker and I only realised at 1:30am this morning that we were one adaptor short. I even went to mansfield this morning in the attempt to locate the one adaptor that we need for where we placed the dgt boards.

There will be live game transmission tomorrow as we are going to move the location of the boards. Not as good for the spectators at the venue, but at least there will be live game transmission and still spectator viewing.

My apologies to all who have waited around for an hour to see the games. I just got back from mansfield myself in the attempt to secure the lan adaptor we require. I was clearly unsuccessful.

We will have live games tomorrow.

Karths, can you also put this message up on the main website as well so those who dont read here know what has happened to the live game broadcast.

See everyone tomorrow with live games at 2:30pm EST.

skip to my lou
But at the same time Garvin is browsing this thread

skip to my lou
Can you send me the pairings please.

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Karths, can you also put this message up on the main website as well so those who dont read here know what has happened to the live game broadcast.

Done.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone,

Bad news. We are unable to transmit the dgt boards today due to lack of a specific kind of adaptor required.

Gary Bekker and I only realised at 1:30am this morning that we were one adaptor short.
You really should have tested it sooner than 1.30am. :doh:
Its only a 3-4 hr drive to Melbourne. You could have been there and back to get the necessary doo-hickey (thats a generic technical term :lol: ) before the first round started. ;)

PhilD707
28-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Will there be any facility for downloading pgn for todays games from the web site??

Trent Parker
28-12-2004, 03:24 PM
am or pm ??? If am You could have gone to Melbourne. If pm why doing it so late??? :lol: :lol: :lol: pick on garvin time :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle:

BTW wouldn't it be better for a tournament who is transmitting games to have a spare parts let alone be short parts?

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Will there be any facility for downloading pgn for todays games from the web site??
yes there will be, but not sure if it will be tonight or tomorrow morning. :(

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Pairings are up.

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 03:29 PM
BTW wouldn't it be better for a tournament who is transmitting games to have a spare parts let alone be short parts?
I was waiting for this question hehe. Gary Bekker didnt arrive last night till 10pm. So Gary and I only got started on shifting some furniture for what he thought would be easiest for his cabling etc. We had started laying the cables when we noticed at about 1:30am that we were short one LAN adaptor that connects two broadband type cables together.

Gary normally runs broadcasts by dial up. So he has plenty of dial up type adaptors, but only had one broadband type adaptor. We upended all his cables and bags etc looking for a second adaptor, but were unsuccessful.

I left first thing this morning for mansfield to try and get a second adaptor, but was unsuccessful as I said before.

Anyways we will be moving the boards tonight to where we had them for the schools event and they will be transmitted tomorrow as soon as the round starts. :D

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Pairings for round one are now up :)

Thanks Karths.

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Pairings are up.
Yes and Board 22 has Oliver, Shannon 1644 V Bonham, Kevin 1980

Trent Parker
28-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Yes there is a couple of interesting pairings.

jenni
28-12-2004, 04:28 PM

go Shannon :)

Libby
28-12-2004, 04:37 PM
go Shannon :)

Don't forget she's vulnerable right now - he may just have to offer $20, a toasted sandwich and his jacket and she'll fold ...

arosar
28-12-2004, 05:21 PM

Uumm...Mrs Oliver, Libby . . . when you organise the air drop, could oyu maybe add an adaptor to your list?

Thanks muchly.

AR

jenni
28-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Uumm...Mrs Oliver, Libby . . . when you organise the air drop, could oyu maybe add an adaptor to your list?

Thanks muchly.

AR

My air drop isn't until the 1st - I am sure they will have an adaptor before then. (Although maybe someone wants to organise some clothes for George Xie?)

jenni
28-12-2004, 06:15 PM
They drew...

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 06:20 PM
pgn's are being done now and should be completed in a couple of hours, a couple of games are still going also.

jenni
28-12-2004, 06:26 PM
pgn's are being done now and should be completed in a couple of hours, a couple of games are still going also.

Could you get partial results up? We are all suffering withdrawal symptoms here! Any upsets on the top boards?

Alan Shore
28-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Could you get partial results up? We are all suffering withdrawal symptoms here! Any upsets on the top boards?

Yeah, we're all curious. After all, round 1 is one of the most exciting rounds with the possibility of upsets (isn't that right starter?)

Congrats to Shannon too, that's a partial upset. Hopefully KB will recover well too, he's always capable of pulling off some good wins.

jenni
28-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Congrats to Shannon too, that's a partial upset. Hopefully KB will recover well too, he's always capable of pulling off some good wins.

She's pretty pleased - she's been working on her end game and apparently that helped her get the draw.

Trent Parker
28-12-2004, 06:40 PM

Hey ggray are you manually inputting the pgn?

If so the days i am there i might give you a hand if you need it. I had a bit of fun looking over some of the games when i helped K and BJ at Penrith.

Garvinator
28-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey ggray are you manually inputting the pgn?

If so the days i am there i might give you a hand if you need it. I had a bit of fun looking over some of the games when i helped K and BJ at Penrith.
most of the games are being manually inputted, but we have a fine team doing it. Thanks for your offer:)

ursogr8
28-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, we're all curious. After all, round 1 is one of the most exciting rounds with the possibility of upsets (isn't that right starter?)

BD
I do hope that Barry will come out of 'retirement' on the competitive index topic and add his own deep thought to my rather simplified index.

And yes, the metric indicates that the potential for large upsets is maximised in round 1 pairings... so this could be called exciting.

starter

arosar
28-12-2004, 07:18 PM

FMD! Listen mate, this one really is POSITIVE feedback.

I just saw the front page of www.mtbullerchess.com and Karthick, true enough, did put up your message above albeit an edited version. Still, when you read the message you can't help concluding incompetence and a comedy of errors. The image of headless chooks scampering around for an adaptor keeps playing back through me head. Mate, the dang site is likely to be looked at by international people see. And it's a bit embarassing.

Next time just say 'technical difficulties' and that's that. Don't go into too much detail about you haulin' your butt off down the mountain to find the bloody thing.

Finally, avoid making definitive statements like 'there will be'. This leaves you with no options at all. Just say you're working on the problem and that's that.

OK?

AR

Spiny Norman
28-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Quite right AR, very good advice ... not too late to edit that page guys!

Leonid Sandler
28-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Hello guys.
I just had a phone call from Edvins Kengis and he sad that he won in his first game.Hopfully full results from round one will be available soon.

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 09:41 PM
Can we please get some results and next round pairings

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 09:42 PM
FMD! Listen mate, this one really is POSITIVE feedback.

I just saw the front page of www.mtbullerchess.com and Karthick, true enough, did put up your message above albeit an edited version. Still, when you read the message you can't help concluding incompetence and a comedy of errors. The image of headless chooks scampering around for an adaptor keeps playing back through me head. Mate, the dang site is likely to be looked at by international people see. And it's a bit embarassing.

Next time just say 'technical difficulties' and that's that. Don't go into too much detail about you haulin' your butt off down the mountain to find the bloody thing.

Finally, avoid making definitive statements like 'there will be'. This leaves you with no options at all. Just say you're working on the problem and that's that.

OK?

AR

--k

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 09:54 PM
most of the games are being manually inputted, but we have a fine team doing it. Thanks for your offer:)
Its a shame the organisers are not providing results on this bb as the games finish.

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Its a shame the organisers are not providing results on this bb as the games finish.

atleast give us hourly updates of the SP files..... :(

jenni
28-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Maybe they are trying to get all the games keyed in and then give it all to you at once.

Sigh - I am going to go and watch the first Lord of the Rings (the kids got the third one for Christmas, so we have to watch them all again :) by that time we will have to have some results :wall:

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Maybe they are trying to get all the games keyed in and then give it all to you at once.
That would be just plain stupid.

jenni
28-12-2004, 10:20 PM
That would be just plain stupid.
Your point?

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Your point?

If I don't get it before I sleep it will have to wait till the morning...

come on guys, what is this.. whys it taking so long to save your current copy of SP files and send it to me??!

jenni
28-12-2004, 10:31 PM
I've just sent an SMS to Charles to ask what is happening - if I get a reply I will post it here.

skip to my lou
28-12-2004, 11:09 PM
good night all

Bill Gletsos
28-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Your point?
My point was that waiting like that would be stupid and I cant believe they would be that silly.

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 12:11 AM
results and provisional pairings will be up shortly.

Trent Parker
29-12-2004, 12:14 AM
lol i thought u were going to sleep hence the night all comment :D

jenni
29-12-2004, 12:20 AM
My point was that waiting like that would be stupid and I cant believe they would be that silly.

You have more faith than me......

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 12:28 AM
lol i thought u were going to sleep hence the night all comment :D

I was but then I forgot about this Java work I had pending, so out came the mountain dew and the iTunes playlist :ermm:

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Results and Provisional pairings are up, PGN games be up in a few minutes and it will be searchable online tommorow.

Trent Parker
29-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Results are up!! hmmm any upsets???

An excellent day for the Vijayakumars....
Renegan (1239) beat max illingworth (1839)

Rukman(1768) drew with Bill Jordan(2348)

The only other upset win was by Damian Arkins (1435) d Richard Voon (1908)

There were several draws....

Trent Parker
29-12-2004, 12:37 AM
lol.... what a pairing on Board 16 (for round 2):lol:

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 12:37 AM
I was but then I forgot about this Java work I had pending, so out came the mountain dew and the iTunes playlist :ermm:

No pun intended.

Games are up. www.mtbullerchess.com/games.php

Trent Parker
29-12-2004, 12:51 AM
OK ggray who didnt show???

there were 37 full boards in round one and only 36 in round two......

jay_vee
29-12-2004, 01:29 AM
OK ggray who didnt show???

there were 37 full boards in round one and only 36 in round two......

There's also at least one new player in round 2, Kenneth Holt, so at least two must have left, no?

auriga
29-12-2004, 06:39 AM

the jordan game was interesting.
rukman seemed better for much of the game.

the sedina game is complete mystery to me. looks like she dropped a piece
unless i got it wrong. :confused:

auriga
29-12-2004, 06:46 AM

max left a mate on. but his opponent was much better than 1239?!

WhiteElephant
29-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Man, so many exciting games today and it's only Round 2!

Boards I will be watching with interest:

6, 7, 9, 10, 11.

Also should be interesting to see how Ilia goes against this Carlo bloke on Board 3.

WhiteElephant
29-12-2004, 06:56 AM

That's quite an upset. Richard Voon is very strong. Never heard of Damian Arkins before.

W.E.

auriga
29-12-2004, 06:58 AM

Boards I will be watching with interest:

6, 7, 9, 10, 11.

Also should be interesting to see how Ilia goes against this Carlo bloke on Board 3.

carlo is my tip to do well.
he got a brilliant score for italy at the olympiad i think.
Ilia would need to be pretty solid against him.

btw. well done to garvin, STML and team down there.
now we have the results/pairings
it should make the weather etc. seem less of a worry!

arosar
29-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Oi organisers, fellas - here's another suggestion boys.

On the homepage, just give us a quick synopsis on the day's events. Mention highlights like upsets, DOP incidents, funny happenings, anything newsworthy. Are bulletins being created? Will pdf be made available? No matter if you don't replicate your printed version in the online space but something for your online readers should be made available.

The homepage is prime real estate for any website. So recover some of that space by removing 'unimportant' content. Example, you should now be able to dump online registration and 'schools profiles' from the homepage.

Create some sort of 'archived news' section and move old results of the ASTC to that area.

To keep Mercure happy, you can move their logo and blurb above the fold by moving those assets to the right hand cross sell area just immediately below 'player profiles'.

Btw, the game search function and search overall doesn't seem to work.

AR

WhiteElephant
29-12-2004, 08:28 AM

On the homepage, just give us a quick synopsis on the day's events. Mention highlights like upsets, DOP incidents, funny happenings, anything newsworthy. Are bulletins being created? Will pdf be made available? No matter if you don't replicate your printed version in the online space but something for your online readers should be made available.

The homepage is prime real estate for any website. So recover some of that space by removing 'unimportant' content. Example, you should now be able to dump online registration and 'schools profiles' from the homepage.

Create some sort of 'archived news' section and move old results of the ASTC to that area.

To keep Mercure happy, you can move their logo and blurb above the fold by moving those assets to the right hand cross sell area just immediately below 'player profiles'.

AR

The recent US Championships had a 'blog' feature on their site where the players were invited to write a few lines after each round - they could write about anything to do with their game, their feelings about the tournament, a few words to their fans, etc. Not all players contributed of course but it made fascinating reading. Is that at all possible to get up and running or would it be too complicated to introduce at this stage?

arosar
29-12-2004, 08:29 AM
No need for a 'blog'. Just get them to post here.

And btw, it may be possible to create a thread that only certain people have write access but give all read access.

AR

WhiteElephant
29-12-2004, 08:30 AM
No need for a 'blog'. Just get them to post here.

AR

Ha. Even better.

ursogr8
29-12-2004, 09:52 AM
max left a mate on. but his opponent was much better than 1239?!

quanta

Max's opponent's details, as per the most recent ratings list, are
1239!! 24 Vijayakumar, Rengan

He is a very active junior and his rating should be reliable, and is slowly increasing each rating period. (936 in 3/3 to 1239 in 12/4). Surprised you did not link to the graph of his past ratings. ;)

starter

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2004, 11:37 AM
On the front page of the web site it says

We are unable to transmit live games today due to technical difficulties. Please accept my apologies.

Garvin Gray.
I assume that refers to the first round.

It should be made clear it does not apply to the second round which starts in just under 2 hrs.

Otherwise people will not bother even looking at the live games link.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2004, 11:46 AM
There's also at least one new player in round 2, Kenneth Holt, so at least two must have left, no?
It appears that Ken Stark and George Howard are missing from the second round. I would have thought George would have continued playing to ensure there was no BYE.

Oepty
29-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I think it is just very good for George to play the first round. He might have other committments today that stop him from playing. I can't see he would be sitting around on his hands doing nothing.
Scott

PhilD707
29-12-2004, 12:05 PM

AR

I have let Fritz8 have a nibble on 3 of the Round 1 games and posted them in viewers on the BCC web site (below) if anyones interested.
I intend to post more as the tournament progresses but will focus mainly on the Tasmanian contingent (all 2 of them) for obvious reasons.

jenni
29-12-2004, 12:28 PM
I think it is just very good for George to play the first round. He might have other committments today that stop him from playing. I can't see he would be sitting around on his hands doing nothing.
Scott
I've tried playing and organising and it doesn't work - you do both badly.

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 12:30 PM
I've tried playing and organising and it doesn't work - you do both badly.

Agreed.

DoroPhil
29-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Any live games today?

jenni
29-12-2004, 01:53 PM
something seems to be happening....

DoroPhil
29-12-2004, 02:03 PM
I just get empty boards...
Anybody has better luck?

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 02:07 PM
nope

jenni
29-12-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm getting some games

ursogr8
29-12-2004, 02:11 PM
Nine moves of Stojic v Kengis is visible
and two other games

ursogr8
29-12-2004, 02:13 PM
The guy playing Igor Bjelobrk is probably the cause of the wrong adaptor yesterday?

jenni
29-12-2004, 02:18 PM
The guy playing Igor Bjelobrk is probably the cause of the wrong adaptor yesterday?
Wongwidget?

DoroPhil
29-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I can see 3 games now. Probably, that's all we going to get.

Oepty
29-12-2004, 02:34 PM
I've got a 4th board now.
Scott

Sturkens
29-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Either my computer is somehow arbitrarily changing text, IM's are leaving pieces on for many consecutive moves, or something is wrong with the display thingy...

For example... Smerdon-Wallis: Is it just me, or is 15. Rd3... a blunder? What's more amazing is that Wallis didn't take said rook on the next move.... seems like a screwup to me...

Another example... Wongwichit-Bjelobrk: After 19... Nf7, is there something wrong with Bxa5? very strange... :eh:

jenni
29-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Either my computer is somehow arbitrarily changing text, IM's are leaving pieces on for many consecutive moves, or something is wrong with the display thingy...

For example... Smerdon-Wallis: Is it just me, or is 15. Rd3... a blunder? What's more amazing is that Wallis didn't take said rook on the next move.... seems like a screwup to me...

Another example... Wongwichit-Bjelobrk: After 19... Nf7, is there something wrong with Bxa5? very strange... :eh:

Yes we were looking at Smerdon vs Wallis and it has to be a mistake by the electronics!

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes we were looking at Smerdon vs Wallis and it has to be a mistake by the electronics!
I would assume it should be 15. Rxd4

Garvinator
29-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the jumbled games, missing moves etc. Seven of the eight boards are now transmitting fine for everyone's pleasure. I am having problems with Sedina's game, but will try and fix it when I get a chance to get to the board.

Mischa
29-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Just would like to know where I can get the results of the rounds. All I know is that darryl won round 2.

Paul S
29-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Just would like to know where I can get the results of the rounds. All I know is that darryl won round 2.

They should be up by now on the Mt Buller chess website.

Bill Gletsos
29-12-2004, 09:25 PM
They would be up by now on the Mt Buller chess website.
They arent there yet.

Paul S
29-12-2004, 09:28 PM
They arent there yet.

Looks like I should have used the word "should" instead of "would"! ;)

I will have to edit that post to reflect this! :P

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I can put them up within 10 seconds of receiving the SP files.

Paul S
29-12-2004, 09:38 PM

Anyone got a stopwatch? ;)

Garvinator
29-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I have just sent the sp files and pgn's are coming soon too.

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I have just sent the sp files and pgn's are coming soon too.

Yeah, results/pairings were up @ 2247.

jay_vee
29-12-2004, 10:03 PM
I believe the "We are unable to transmit live games today" on the website is now outdated. Or should I say, I hope it is :-)

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 10:05 PM
"We are unable to transmit live games today (28/12/04)"

Garvinator
29-12-2004, 10:06 PM
seven boards were transmitted today and all eight boards should ;) be live tomorrow:)

jay_vee
29-12-2004, 10:13 PM
"We are unable to transmit live games today (28/12/04)"

Oops, was that date in there before? :eek: Okay, so it's not wrong, just potentially misleading. And not really neccessary anymore. :uhoh:

skip to my lou
29-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Oops, was that date in there before? :eek: Okay, so it's not wrong, just potentially misleading. And not really neccessary anymore. :uhoh:

WhiteElephant
30-12-2004, 06:33 AM

Fantastic effort to hold Mr Carlo to a draw. :clap:

Wouldn't be surprised if Iliia takes some points off Sedina today.

PS Hopefully the front page announcing Live Games Unavailable will be fixed today. Perhaps an announcement about biggest upsets from the previous 2 rounds would make interesting reading.

W.E.

skip to my lou
30-12-2004, 08:57 AM
PS Hopefully the front page announcing Live Games Unavailable will be fixed today.

arosar
30-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Where is the game Escribano - Stojic (1-0)? It's not in the pgn.

AR

Steve K
30-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Where is the game Escribano - Stojic (1-0)? It's not in the pgn.

AR

I can't see the game Van Der Wal v Pecori either in the PGN. There were 36 games in round 1 and only 33 in round 2 according to the 2 PGN files. Looks like we've identified 2 of the 3 missing games from round 2. It's a little frustrating.

skip to my lou
30-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Perhaps neither player handed in the scoresheet.

arosar
30-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Then they should enforce rule 8.3 immediately.

AR

skip to my lou
30-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Then they should enforce rule 8.3 immediately.

AR

What does rule 8.3 state?

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 01:44 PM
What does rule 8.3 state?
8.3 The scoresheets are the property of the organisers of the event.

We have carbonated scoresheets so that the player can take their yellow paper copy and we keep the white one. Unfortunately, no matter how many announcements we make, some players take both pieces of paper.

If both players do it and it wasnt a dgt board game, then we are left with no scoresheets to work from :doh: :wall:

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 01:51 PM
The first two days there were complaints and queries about no live games and a delayed start to the second day's coverage.

We now have all eight boards up and running and I dont see anyone saying well done or good to see, something like that :(

Nothing ever changes on this bb.

arosar
30-12-2004, 01:54 PM
The first two days there were complaints and queries about no live games and a delayed start to the second day's coverage.

We now have all eight boards up and running and I dont see anyone saying well done or good to see, something like that :(

Because as a chess admin, your efforts are taken for granted. :)

Well done indeed and, in particular, for being receptive to [some] feedback.

AR

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Well done indeed and, in particular, for being receptive to [some] feedback.

AR
well sometimes i pass on recommendations and the majority dont agree ;)

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2004, 02:01 PM
8.3 The scoresheets are the property of the organisers of the event.

We have carbonated scoresheets so that the player can take their yellow paper copy and we keep the white one. Unfortunately, no matter how many announcements we make, some players take both pieces of paper.

If both players do it and it wasnt a dgt board game, then we are left with no scoresheets to work from :doh: :wall:
Well its simple then.
Just chase them to provide their original scoresheets so that you can create the pgn for all the games.

ursogr8
30-12-2004, 02:03 PM

Job well done by those responsible. I am enjoying the coverage.
(Could you tell the players that BD and I would like them to play quicker. ;) )

After 3734 posts by you, r''agg''y, that is an erudite conclusion.

starter

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 02:14 PM
(Could you tell the players that BD and I would like them to play quicker. ;) )
sure no prob, ill just stop play and make a big announcement, move quicker :P

jenni
30-12-2004, 02:31 PM

Thank-you Garvin - all too busy watching to be polite.

Bill Gletsos
30-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Because as a chess admin, your efforts are taken for granted. :)
Exactly AR.
People expect it to just work, therefore there is no need to say anything when it does.

However when it doesnt work thats when the comments fly.

Libby
30-12-2004, 02:58 PM

Sorry Garvin

I was under the impression saying thank you was bad form and not to be expected.

Hi Libby,

If you require a great big medal I will get one made for you!!

I dont really care about who or how , good changes are achieved so long as it benefits the tournament and the participants - however if you require your name to be trumpeted please let me know and I will do so.

Regards
George Howard

Cuts both ways ...

However, good job on the live games. You must be relieved to get it all going now. Now if I just knew something about chess I could get some value out of following them ... :)

jenni
30-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Now if I just knew something about chess I could get some value out of following them ... :)

C'mon Libby - you have picked up a lot - it is just the perfectionist in you that feels you have to be GM standard...

arosar
30-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Look at Song - Arlandi! C'mon Raymond . . . .!!

AR

Rincewind
30-12-2004, 03:29 PM
D'Amore - Bonham looks interesting too. White is a little cramped.

Libby
30-12-2004, 03:31 PM
C'mon Libby - you have picked up a lot - it is just the perfectionist in you that feels you have to be GM standard...

well, when you still need to check the answers on those tricky mate-in-one puzzles :(

Duff McKagan
30-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Look at Song - Arlandi! C'mon Raymond . . . .!!

AR

Looks like Raymond has a winning position after move 32

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Looks like Raymond has a winning position after move 32
unfortunately i lost the dgt board connection soon after move 32 and couldnt restore it :( . Raymond ended up losing that game. I have sent the sp files already and pgns are being completed now.

Cheers,

Garvin

jenni
30-12-2004, 07:39 PM
unfortunately i lost the dgt board connection soon after move 32 and couldnt restore it :( . Raymond ended up losing that game. I have sent the sp files already and pgns are being completed now.

Cheers,

Garvin

That's quick - thank-you :) Now the pressure is on Karthick!

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 07:53 PM
That's quick - thank-you :) Now the pressure is on Karthick!
i might have sent them too early for him, the sp files anyways ;) :eek:

jenni
30-12-2004, 07:55 PM
i might have sent them too early for him, the sp files anyways ;) :eek:

Yeah - I think you caught him napping. :)

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Yeah - I think you caught him napping. :)
yeah, how dare we up here pick up our act and get things done faster ;) :uhoh:

jenni
30-12-2004, 08:21 PM
:lol:

ursogr8
30-12-2004, 09:10 PM

r''agg'y

Did you tell K. during the day that you had changed process and that there was an earlier ETA?

starter

Garvinator
30-12-2004, 11:49 PM
r''agg'y

Did you tell K. during the day that you had changed process and that there was an earlier ETA?

starter
nope as we had just been sending them when they were ready. So we sent the sp files earlier to help everyone out:)

Duff McKagan
31-12-2004, 03:06 AM
OK i saw the pgn... Raymond missed nice 33.Qc5 then transfer rook up to 4th rank :(

jay_vee
31-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Now, I'm not much of a French player (nor much of a player at all...), but is that white pawn sac on d4 that has been played in both Humphrey-Sedina and Smerdon-Ly really playable?

Trizza
31-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Now, I'm not much of a French player (nor much of a player at all...), but is that white pawn sac on d4 that has been played in both Humphrey-Sedina and Smerdon-Ly really playable?

I'm not much of a French player either, but I believe the sac is known as the Milner-Barry gambit. It's quite playable at club level (black falls behind in development, white gets his pieces to active squares) although its rare to see people over 2000 playing it. However, David did beat Guy West with it in the Australian masters this year.

Ian Rout
31-12-2004, 03:00 PM
The Milner-Barry Gambit. It's considered not quite sound, but White gains a lot of time chasing the Queen around in the main line 9.Nxd4. However 9.Nbd2 is rare - according to Gary Lane in "Beating The French" 9...Nc6 refutes it.

jay_vee
31-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Hmm, white's activity doesn't look that strong to me, and an extra central protected passed pawn has to count for something :-). But since we have one 2400ish player on either side of the gambit, this could be instructive.

Trizza
31-12-2004, 03:08 PM
The Smerdon-West game also continued with Nbd2 rather than Nd4, so maybe David has done some work at home.

Johansen-Bjelobrk drawn already. Somewhat unusual - Darryl plays 1 e4 and agrees a draw after 15 moves.

Jordan seems to be in trouble - he allowed black an early f5 break and appears to be losing a pawn.

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 03:21 PM
If Jason Hu wins his game he will be outright tournament leader :owned: :owned: :clap: :clap: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Ian Rout
31-12-2004, 03:24 PM
The Smerdon-West game also continued with Nbd2 rather than Nd4, so maybe David has done some work at home.
Black's move order in the game is inaccurate because White has the option of 7.dxc5 (with a later b4) which theory considers good for White, so the fact that David insists on transposing to the gambit shows that he has something prepared.

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Regarding Smerdon-Ly

Hey.... it may just be me..... but doesn't whites pieces look a bit ummm.... precarious?

The only thing black has against him is time.....

I could be totally wrong.....

Careth
31-12-2004, 03:36 PM
well, in the Smerdon Ly match, i think that Smerdon is either not putting enough thinking in about his position. He will lose a pawn at least if Ly plays Bd4, attacking Smerdons central e pawn, and his b. Smerdons queen is pinned down to a knight because of a rook, which will take a while to fix, and obviously, Ly is thinking. Smerdons 1hour 5min to Ly's 25 min. But thats the oppinion of a 1178 WA player. Not very good :doh:

Careth
31-12-2004, 03:38 PM
any suggestions or bets what Smerdons next move will be? eg Rfc1? :hmm:

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Humphrey - Sedina looks interesting......

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 03:43 PM
any suggestions or bets what Smerdons next move will be? eg Rfc1? :hmm:
Rac1 i think is more likely as the f rook stays home to guard the f2 square.

Careth
31-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Make that rac1/bf4/rae1?

Trizza
31-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Make that rac1/bf4/rae1?

Let's be a bit more aggressive. Black's king looks a little weak on the queenside - how about b4 to open up some lines.

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Let's be a bit more aggressive. Black's king looks a little weak on the queenside - how about b4 to open up some lines.
no aggressiveness for the smurf, Rac1 it is ;)

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Hmm what does black do here?????

Can the e5 pawn be taken here?????

Careth
31-12-2004, 03:54 PM
*bows to ggrayggray* :)

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 03:55 PM

Nnnnnnnno Be3.....

hmm.... d4 Bxd4 Rd5... hmmmmm

Trizza
31-12-2004, 03:57 PM

No way - white plays Qf7 and threatens Be7
Be3 is less good - black could sac the exchange and have two powerful bishops. In passing d4 Bd4 Rd5 is far too loose - white again plays Qf7.

I'd be getting my king out of that pin with Kb8.

Careth
31-12-2004, 03:58 PM
first thing i think of here for black is Bc6? I like that cos i fortifies the kings area, stops the pin. Ideas, anyone?

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 03:59 PM
No way - white plays Qf7 and threatens Be7

I'd be getting my king out of that pin with Kb8.
well predicted :D

Trizza
31-12-2004, 04:03 PM
first thing i think of here for black is Bc6? I like that cos i fortifies the kings area, stops the pin. Ideas, anyone?

Yet again this would've run into Qf7 - if Rh7 Qf5+ forks king and rook.

I'm not sure what white should play after Kb8 though - b4 again looks fun but probably not great.

Careth
31-12-2004, 04:05 PM
does everyone see the Arlandi-Hu match to be really weird and random? :hmm:

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:07 PM
does everyone see the Arlandi-Hu match to be really weird and random? :hmm:

Geez talk about complications :lol:

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey smurf can pin-break now can't he?? Qxf7?

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Oooh Sedina could be in trouble too!

Although up on the board he is down on time. Could be interesting......

jay_vee
31-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Geez talk about complications :lol:

Of course, being 500+ rating points behind, complications is GOOD :-).

Bd1 seems to be quite good for white

WhiteElephant
31-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Whenever I see Smerdon and Ly playing on ICC, Ly usually has the upper hand. Maybe the psychological advantage has carried across into the real world.

Careth
31-12-2004, 04:17 PM
They play on ICC? as guests, or registered?

WhiteElephant
31-12-2004, 04:20 PM
They play on ICC? as guests, or registered?

Ly's handle = Molton
Smerdon's handle = Smurfo

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Interesting exchange sac by smerdon.....

Bf4 Now looks good for white

Trizza
31-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Interesting exchange sac by smerdon.....

Bf4 Now looks good for white

Don't you want to do something about the knight on h7?

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Don't you want to do something about the knight on h7?

Good point....... missing everything today :uhoh:

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:41 PM
In that case perhaps Qxg7.....

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Humphrey-Sedina .5-.5

gotta be a pretty big draw.....

Kerry Stead
31-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Its all looking rather precarious ... knight, bishop all loose ... perhaps tricks with Rc7 work? Qc7+ doesn't seem to do much after Ka8 and Ba6.

Kerry Stead
31-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Ba6 then f4 and I don't mind white's position. Black's gone all-out for the kingside play, but white seems to have just enough time to hold everything together and still get heavy pieces on the 7th rank ...

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 05:18 PM
I think Smurf's in trouble now. Unless that passed pawn can start moving.....

PhilD707
31-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Smerdon has a4+

Bill Gletsos
31-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Oooh Sedina could be in trouble too!

Although up on the board he is down on time. Could be interesting......
FWIW Sedina is a she.

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 05:26 PM
FWIW Sedina is a she.
:uhoh: oops

Kerry Stead
31-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Smerdon has a4+
Indeed! He's swindled his way to winning a rook ... although after the queens came off I thought he was better ... but earlier ...

Spiny Norman
31-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Smerdon has a4+

oh the forks, the forks [accidentally pokes self in eye]. :doh:

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I think Smurf's in trouble now. Unless that passed pawn can start moving.....

then again..........

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 05:46 PM
win for smurf

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Hecht - guthrie will probably be a draw.....

Garvinator
31-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Hecht - guthrie will probably be a draw.....
and is ;)

WhiteElephant
31-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Smerdon has a4+

Hey Phil, nice work with the Burnie Chess Club Site...looks great.

Maybe you should lend your commentary on the Aus Championships to the official site?

Spiny Norman
31-12-2004, 07:23 PM
win for smurf

Methinks Mr Ly may now be in the depths of melancoly. That was a rather extraordinary "wriggle out of trouble" ... but to come away with a win no less.

Trent Parker
31-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Hello tzaja! Welcome to the Chess chat Forums :D....

I am going to move your "chessbase problem" post to the "general chess" section as this thread is a thread dedicated to the live games in the Australian Open.

The chess Nut.

PhilD707
01-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey Phil, nice work with the Burnie Chess Club Site...looks great.

Maybe you should lend your commentary on the Aus Championships to the official site?

Thanks for your kind words WE.
There is no copyright on the skimpy commentary on the BCC page :)
even skimpier today - I have no results or pgn for round 4 - I suppose the new year's celebrations have taken their toll up on the mountain!

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 10:58 AM
even skimpier today - I have no results or pgn for round 4 - I suppose the new year's celebrations have taken their toll up on the mountain!
Although it is understandable that there would be a delay in posting of the round 4 pgn, it is unfortunate that they did not at least post the round 4 results.

WhiteElephant
01-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Wakey wakey...

starter is waiting to work out the Competitive Index
Phil is waiting to update his website
The rest of us want to know whether our friends and relatives won or lost.

Libby
01-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Wakey wakey...

starter is waiting to work out the Competitive Index
Phil is waiting to update his website
The rest of us want to know whether our friends and relatives won or lost.

A lot of which represents FREE publicity for the event. Gets people talking about the CHESS and the UPSETS and the EXCITEMENT rather than when on earth we might see just the basic stuff like 1-0, 0-1 or even 0.5-0.5.

Even just some gossip from last night's party for us complete desperates ...

We could talk about the weather again - it's turned quite balmy
http://www.ski.com.au/weather/stations/buller.html

auriga
01-01-2005, 12:05 PM
A lot of which represents FREE publicity for the event. Gets people talking about the CHESS and the UPSETS and the EXCITEMENT rather than when on earth we might see just the basic stuff like 1-0, 0-1 or even 0.5-0.5.

We could talk about the weather again - it's turned quite balmy
http://www.ski.com.au/weather/stations/buller.html

yep, it's a shame not to get the results.
the live games seem to be working great.

is there a technical difficulty down in mt buller ie. network down?!

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Hello Karths,

I can only send the 8 dgt board pgn's for tonight most likely as everyone
has gone to the nye party and havent finished the work they were supposed to
do first.

There will also be no sp files tonight most likely for the same reason as
Charles did not hand them to me to send.

Garvin

I'll get the 8 games up in a few minutes.

jenni
01-01-2005, 12:28 PM

I have gossip, but have been given strict instructions not to put anything up on the BB :)

I do understand that the organising committee need some R&R, however just quickly sending off the Sp files, so results can be put up, would be nice. I know how Shannon did (a draw with Tulevski, who apparently has had the 'flu and isn't playing his best), but I would like to know how the others did.

While this could be viewed as annoying curiosity (and I am impatient and cusrious!), on the other handing feeding the public's hunger for information is part of creating a vibrant environment.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 12:30 PM
I have gossip, but have been given strict instructions not to put anything up on the BB :)

I do understand that the organising committee need some R&R, however just quickly sending off the Sp files, so results can be put up, would be nice. I know how Shannon did (a draw with Tulevski, who apparently has had the 'flu and isn't playing his best), but I would like to know how the others did.

While this could be viewed as annoying curiosity (and I am impatient and cusrious!), on the other handing feeding the public's hunger for information is part of creating a vibrant environment.
Yes, the US championship site was excellent at getting results up. In fact they posted results as the games ended.

jenni
01-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Yes, the US championship site was excellent at getting results up. In fact they posted results as the games ended.

We were spoilt last year in getting this for the Aus Championships - it did create a lot of excitement though and I hung around all afternoon, doing nothing except watching games and waiting for results.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 01:01 PM
We were spoilt last year in getting this for the Aus Championships - it did create a lot of excitement though and I hung around all afternoon, doing nothing except watching games and waiting for results.

Same as 03, had the results/pairings up within a few minutes of them being generated by Charles.

Does anyone know what the following values mean in SPDE?

TB_PROGRESS TB_MED_BUCHHOLZ TB_BUCHHOLZ

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Also should standings displayed be before the round started or after the round has finished?

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Same as 03, had the results/pairings up within a few minutes of them being generated by Charles.

Does anyone know what the following values mean in SPDE?

TB_PROGRESS TB_MED_BUCHHOLZ TB_BUCHHOLZ
They are various tie-break values.
Respectively Progressive, Median Buchholz and Buchholz.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Perhaps garvin can provide the results here on the BB. He could continually updated a bb post with results as the games finish in say the announcements thread.

jenni
01-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Also should standings displayed be before the round started or after the round has finished?

I think as of the end of the round. I went and clicked on the standings and was looking at them and immediately thought - "That's not right" as I saw various people's scores.

The way my mind works is that if I look at the standing for round 3, I would expect to see round 3 results added in. Of course others may feel differently - Tony always says my mind works in a weird way. :)

jenni
01-01-2005, 01:53 PM
So we still don't have results from yesterday? I expect the organisers are going to use the lame excuse that they are too busy with the Rapid. :)

Brian_Jones
01-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Question? How many DOPs does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer? One - the same number as it takes to run a small Rapid tournament?

But there are 3 DOPs so how many does it take to send STML the R4 results?

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 02:09 PM
Question? How many DOPs does it take to change a light bulb?
Answer? One - the same number as it takes to run a small Rapid tournament?

But there are 3 DOPs so how many does it take to send STML the R4 results?

I think there are 4 if what Lee Forace has said is correct

Garvinator
01-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I think there are 4 if what Lee Forace has said is correct
there are four in total, Charles Zworestine, Roland Eime, Shaun Press and Lee Forace.

jenni
01-01-2005, 02:14 PM
there are four in total, Charles Zworestine, Roland Eime, Shaun Press and Lee Forace.

Happy New year Garvin!

Couldn't you just take a disk off to Charles' machine, grab the SP files and put a pirate copy of the results up here?

auriga
01-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Happy New year Garvin!

Couldn't you just take a disk off to Charles' machine, grab the SP files and put a pirate copy of the results up here?

they need to install a network card on CZ's machine
and hook into up to the internet
so STML can grab the SP file at any time and upload to his website.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 02:20 PM
they need to install a network card on CZ's machine
and hook into up to the internet
so STML can grab the SP file at any time and upload to his website.

In that case I could make it automatically update whenever he clicks in a result.

Libby
01-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey, I was going to post something an hour or so ago and then decided I'd had enough grief for being mean to people already ...

The way I see it, this potentially (as who knows the reason) illustrates some of the problems in Aussie chess that cannot be fixed with a sponsorship deal.

This is your premier event and you want people to be excited about it. You have an international field and you want people to be excited about that. You have a captive audience here (a bunch of num-nuts with nothing better to do i guess ;) ) who can't even find out the results.

So what good does that do for the more casual observer or visitor to the website? Maybe they won't come back next time.

Having your results on the website (preferably with the odd bit of gossip & photos) is a priority. This is your portal for the outside world. This is the product you are selling. God knows I know what it's like to have more to do than I have hands to do it but getting out results after an event is something that comes in very high on the list - no matter how stuffed I am.

Make yourself interesting and they will (might) come ...

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I think as of the end of the round. I went and clicked on the standings and was looking at them and immediately thought - "That's not right" as I saw various people's scores.

The way my mind works is that if I look at the standing for round 3, I would expect to see round 3 results added in. Of course others may feel differently - Tony always says my mind works in a weird way. :)

Makes sense. I've fixed up the page, the site reads the SP files and displays the standings for after the round is completed.

jenni
01-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey, I was going to post something an hour or so ago and then decided I'd had enough grief for being mean to people already ...

The way I see it, this potentially (as who knows the reason) illustrates some of the problems in Aussie chess that cannot be fixed with a sponsorship deal.

This is your premier event and you want people to be excited about it. You have an international field and you want people to be excited about that. You have a captive audience here (a bunch of num-nuts with nothing better to do i guess ;) ) who can't even find out the results.

So what good does that do for the more casual observer or visitor to the website? Maybe they won't come back next time.

Having your results on the website (preferably with the odd bit of gossip & photos) is a priority. This is your portal for the outside world. This is the product you are selling. God knows I know what it's like to have more to do than I have hands to do it but getting out results after an event is something that comes in very high on the list - no matter how stuffed I am.

Make yourself interesting and they will (might) come ...

This is pretty similar to what I said last year! As a result Alex (or Andrew!) started putting results up live (so to speak) and it did make for a much more exciting atmosphere.

By the time you have checked the webpage 10 times and no results appear it is only the fanatics who keep coming back, whereas it is the more marginal ones you want to entice in.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 02:54 PM

I would expect the round 3 standings to include the round 3 results.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Instead of just repeating what Lee already pointed out in his post regarding DOP's why not actually go and provide the Round 4 results.

Its well over 12 hrs after that round finished and still no results are available.
Given the number of DOP's and organisers, that is unacceptably slow.

Perhaps you could even inform us of the top 5 seeds in the rapid and how many entered. :doh:

jenni
01-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Instead of just repeating what Lee already pointed out in his post regarding DOP's why not actually go and provide the Round 4 results.

Its well over 12 hrs after that round finished and still no results are available.
Given the number of DOP's and organisers, that is unacceptably slow.

Perhaps you could even inform us of the top 5 seeds in the rapid and how many entered. :doh:

I understand poor Garvin is actually playing in the rapid .. makes it a bit hard.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 04:52 PM
I understand poor Garvin is actually playing in the rapid .. makes it a bit hard.
Given gg was able to post who the DOP's were, I would have thought he could just as easily have sent the SP file for the open to STML at that time.

Anyway there are other DOP's and organisers who perhaps could have done this. After all the rapid did not start till 1pm.

WhiteElephant
01-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Just wondering - could they not have used the digi boards to show some of the Rapid Games live? That would have been fun to watch.

Careth
01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
It would have- GM's pulverizing clocks:)

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Just wondering - could they not have used the digi boards to show some of the Rapid Games live? That would have been fun to watch.

If they had broadband they can even broadcast blitz/lightning, but I'm guessing they are stuck with some 14k connection.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 05:29 PM
If they had broadband they can even broadcast blitz/lightning, but I'm guessing they are stuck with some 14k connection.
I thought garvin suggested they did have broadband when he was discussing the missing adaptor for the first round.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 05:44 PM
I thought garvin suggested they did have broadband when he was discussing the missing adaptor for the first round.

I think he meant ethernet, locally, and not to Internet.

Garvinator
01-01-2005, 06:17 PM
I am on a real fast connection so I could have broadcast the top 8 boards, but it was decided by the dop's not to use the 8 dgt boards for today or the lightning.

Regarding the sp files and pgn's, i cant send what i dont have. Currently some of the games are still to be put together from round four. I am just awaiting for them to be done and then I can send the pgns.

We are trying to also send the sp files, but for some reason we have been having problems uploading the trn file, so sometimes that takes time to figure out what is actually wrong.

Also at the moment, Andrew, Alex, Lee and myself are all playing in the rapid. I cant wait for the rapid to be over so we can get the problems solved.

I will send the sp files to karths for the rapid as well when i get them.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 06:21 PM
I am on a real fast connection so I could have broadcast the top 8 boards, but it was decided by the dop's not to use the 8 dgt boards for today or the lightning.

Regarding the sp files and pgn's, i cant send what i dont have.
With regards the SP files surely its just a matter of approaching the DOP and requesting the files.

Currently some of the games are still to be put together from round four. I am just awaiting for them to be done and then I can send the pgns.

We are trying to also send the sp files, but for some reason we have been having problems uploading the trn file, so sometimes that takes time to figure out what is actually wrong.
Just put the .trn, .sco and .ini files into a zip and send the zip.

jenni
01-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Garvin you seem to have a bit of spare time when the games are running. How about getting a floppy (or USB stick) and from time to time (once an hour?) go and export the results, copy it to your computer and put it up on the BB. That way we would get the results periodically and can stop hassling. While it is nice to go through the games, I think we can all be a bit more patient for PGNs than results.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
One day all boards will be live!

jenni
01-01-2005, 07:21 PM
One day all boards will be live!

Then I really would get no work done. With 8 you can do some work and then have a flick through to see what has happened. :)

Mischa
01-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Given the delay getting the results up {even my chess fanatic son gave up} why are they playing in the Lightning? We have spent all day trying to find out what has been happening, while you all have fun going to parties and playing ches...

Mischa
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
s... Not that I would be playing chess. But I like the idea of the party, Still I don't understand the wait...nearly 24 hours after the games, we finally get the results.
Garvin, I know you are doing your best but really was the lure of a party the reason we desperates had to wait?

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Given the delay getting the results up {even my chess fanatic son gave up} why are they playing in the Lightning? We have spent all day trying to find out what has been happening, while you all have fun going to parties and playing ches...

Get Real. It is new years eve and new years day that you are talking about. Given the support by australian chess players (and parents [such as you]), I am not the least bit suprised that they are partying and playing chess instead.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Get Real. It is new years eve and new years day that you are talking about. Given the support by australian chess players, I am not the least bit suprised that they are partying and playing chess instead.
To be fair it would have taken all of 5 minutes to send the SP files yesterday after the last game of round 4 ended.

Mischa
01-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey stml would have loved to be there for the party. So I guess I am just jealous/frustrated that while they were having a deservedly {?} good time...I had to wait...yes it is sooo all about me

Mischa
01-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Only 5 minutes? I repeat my lament.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 11:35 PM
To be fair it would have taken all of 5 minutes to send the SP files yesterday after the last game of round 4 ended.

As I understand it; Charles went to the party before Garvin could get a hold of him for the SP files.

To noidea et al: Build a bridge and get over it.

noidea: You told me you were never ever again going to post at Chess Chat.. What happened?

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2005, 11:43 PM
As I understand it; Charles went to the party before Garvin could get a hold of him for the SP files.
Surely they should have realised that people would want to know the results sooner than the next day.
As such isnt it just a case of lack of planning.

skip to my lou
01-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Surely they should have realised that people would want to know the results sooner than the next day.
As such isnt it just a case of lack of planning.

I'm not sure what caused it, but it doesn't really matter. It can be forgiven given the time of year.

Mischa
02-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Of course it can...just wanted to know down here!

auriga
02-01-2005, 07:19 AM
some interesting games for r5.

i notice board 17 is the battle of TAS!
maybe raymond song can pull off an upset against GM Hecht!? :D

PhilD707
02-01-2005, 08:50 AM
some interesting games for r5.

i notice board 17 is the battle of TAS!

As part of their preparation for this event Charles and Kevin played a series of training games so they should be really well prepared for their Round 5 game!
Their last encounter where Charles also had White was a fighting draw.
It will be interesting to see if Kevin can improve on this now that the stakes are higher.

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Woah check out Guthrie-Wallis...15 moves in 20 minutes and what a position!

auriga
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Woah check out Guthrie-Wallis...15 moves in 20 minutes and what a position!

isn't this all standard theory :D

i thought black was winning but now i'm not so sure.

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 02:11 PM
isn't this all standard theory :D

i thought black was winning but now i'm not so sure.

Couldn't play this fast unless they had this prepared. Or you would think so anyway :)

I wouldn't go into this line as black even if prepared...looks too dangerous.

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Bjelobrk-Smerdon looks like it's shaping up to be interesting. Others are all positional stuff...come on let's see some ACTION.

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 02:27 PM
12 games in Mega 2005 with this position.
7 continued Na8 resulting in 3 draws 1 white win and 3 black wins.
2 continued Rfc1 with 1 white win and a draw.
1 continued Rac1 with a white win.
1 continued Nf6 with a white win.
1 continued Qh5 for a black win.

Garvinator
02-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Bjelobrk-Smerdon looks like it's shaping up to be interesting. Others are all positional stuff...come on let's see some ACTION.
i could stop that ;) :P :whistle: jokes :D

auriga
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Couldn't play this fast unless they had this prepared. Or you would think so anyway :)

I wouldn't go into this line as black even if prepared...looks too dangerous.

at move 18,
fritzy gives the bizarre move 18.na8 and gives it exactly equal (0.00) :eek:

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 02:32 PM
12 games in Mega 2005 with this position.
7 continued Na8 resulting in 3 draws 1 white win and 3 black wins.
2 continued Rfc1 with 1 white win and a draw.
1 continued Rac1 with a white win.
1 continued Nf6 with a white win.
1 continued Qh5 for a black win.

Thanks Bill. Unbalanced positions like this is what chess is all about.

Na8...I wouldn't have considered that in a million years.

Looks like he picked the wrong one, Qh5 :(

PhilD707
02-01-2005, 03:22 PM
The position in the Guthrie Wallis game after move 16 has arisen at least 3 times at top level since 2000.
2-1 to white so far ....

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 03:31 PM
The position in the Guthrie Wallis game after move 16 has arisen at least 3 times at top level since 2000.
2-1 to white so far ....
Including 2000 there has been at least 10 games where one player has been rated over 2300 and 4 where both were over 2400.

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 03:35 PM
19.. Rxc4 was much better than Rd4

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 03:43 PM
20.. Qf7 now allows Qb3 where white is clearly better.

PhilD707
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Sedina is throwing everything at Jackson.
Looks like he's in deep trouble.

auriga
02-01-2005, 03:48 PM

looks really bad for wallis now

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 03:51 PM

Perhaps after Qb3 the plan is to play RxN

I thought 20...e4 was better than Qf7
Then,
Qc3 is met by Bg7
Qb3 is met by Qb7

I don't have Fritz running so someone correct me if I've missed something obvious

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Perhaps after Qb3 the plan is to play RxN
RxN is losing badly after 22. cd Kd7 23. Rac1

I thought 20...e4 was better than Qf7
Then,
Qc3 is met by Bg7
Qb3 is met by Qb7
No, after 20.. e4 21.Qb3 Qb7 then 22.Qa4+ is mate in 5.

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Smerdon appears to be in masssive time trouble with under 5 mins left and about and 1hr behind Bjelobrk.

WhiteElephant
02-01-2005, 04:06 PM
RxN is losing badly after 22. cd Kd7 23. Rac1

No, after 20.. e4 21.Qb3 Qb7 then 22.Qa4+ is mate in 5.

Aaah of course, Qa4 d'oh!

Smerdon has 4 minutes left to Bjelobrk's 1 hour, 4 minutes.

Bill Gletsos
02-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Well although Guthrie missed 21.Qb3 he is still better.