PDA

View Full Version : First Post in Australian Chess

Rincewind
01-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey, are we moving over to here? Will you be able to convert all the existing posts in auschess.org.au to phpBB format?

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Nope, sorry! But I converted all usernames, and the passwords that you had on ACFBB

jenni
01-01-2004, 02:02 PM
:( and I just spent an hour thinking about Ian Rout's post and was going to put some thought up. Ah well - I'll go and do some washing instead. :?

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Sorry about the change!

This forum is much faster, and has features related to chess, so Paul and I thought it would be a great idea to host ACF forum here

You can now post chess positions and games.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Nope, sorry! But I converted all usernames, and the passwords that you had on ACFBB
Then I would suggest that the old bulletin bpard remain available but with all posting rights disabled so that information their can be referenced.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 02:25 PM
That would be quite confusing for most people, and people would post there rather than here as that has been the board for quite some time.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 02:51 PM
That would be quite confusing for most people, and people would post there rather than here as that has been the board for quite some time.
They could not post there if you disabled everyones right to post on the old board.

Just deciding to suddenly switch boards without warning people and no way to acces previous posts is irresponsible.

Dont get me wrong, this board looks great but simply saying the old board is no longer available just strikes me as arrogance.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2004, 02:51 PM
I too would like to see the old BB available at least so that posts can be read, and preferably in something far less cumbersome than the zipped post method needed following the Brazilian hack a few months back. I assume there is some way around the problem of people attempting to post on the old site. For instance, could the old BB simply be shifted to a different URL with a link off this one and a note above the link saying "this is a link to the old ACF BB, do not attempt to post on the old BB, it is no longer taking posts"?

A quite substantial culture of posts had built up on the old ACF BB with some posters racking up well over 1000 posts. Some of this will be lost unless the old posts are available at least for searching. The change is more than a little sudden and while I am sure the extra features will be extremely useful, a smoother transition with advance warning would have been highly desirable. Sorry to be so grumpy so early in the year. :D

Finally, am I correct in understanding that this is now a completely private site and that the ACF no longer has any legal responsibility at all for material posted here?

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 02:56 PM
They could not post there if you disabled everyones right to post on the old board.

Just deciding to suddenly switch boards without warning people and no way to acces previous posts is irresponsible.

Dont get me wrong, this board looks great but simply saying the old board is no longer available just strikes me as arrogance.

I looked into that option, and it is not available on the old board.

It wasn't a sudden decision, Paul and I have been thinking about it for months.

I tried for many hours to convert messages, simply did not work.

I suggest you think twice before posting such messages in the future.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Why.
Is that a threat.
Dont you like criticism.
There appears to be nothing on this baord indicating criicism isnt allowed.
Can't you handle it.
If you cannot handle moderating the board in a manner similar to Paul B, perhaps we would all be better off having the old board re-instated.

He didnt get in a snit when others disagreed with him.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Why.
Is that a threat.
Dont you like criticism.
There appears to be nothing on this baord indicating criicism isnt allowed.
Can't you handle it.
If you cannot handle moderating the board in a manner similar to Paul B, perhaps we would all be better off having the old board re-instated.

It was a suggestion, do as you wish.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Finally, am I correct in understanding that this is now a completely private site and that the ACF no longer has any legal responsibility at all for material posted here?

Everyone is responsible for their own posts, as in most BB's.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2004, 03:19 PM
It wasn't a sudden decision, Paul and I have been thinking about it for months.

I do dimly remember you discussing it with Paul some time back - but it was never put as a proposal to members of the old BB for their feedback.

It may well have been that members of the old BB would have strongly preferred to continue on the old BB even without the new features, as an alternative to losing all the posts. If there was an issue with Paul no longer wishing to put effort into running the old board, I suspect that others would have volunteered to do so.

Given the lack of consultation about all this, there are likely to be quite a few people coming in off the old BB who will not be entirely happy about what has occurred and who may over-react to it. If you are going to complain about those over-reactions, that's fair enough, but I would suggest that you isolate which parts of their posts you consider to be over-reactions, rather than dismiss their comments entirely.

I'd suggest that while Bill's comment about arrogance was unnecessary, his comment "Just deciding to suddenly switch boards without warning people and no way to access previous posts is irresponsible." is entirely reasonable - the membership of the old ACF BB should have been consulted if it is indeed the case that the old posts have been lost.

Kevin Bonham
01-01-2004, 03:24 PM

That is actually not legally the case on any BB anywhere - the owners of a site can also be held liable for any defamatory content published on their site. However, the main point of my query was simply to establish whether the ACF has any remaining legal obligations, I take it from your response that that's a "no". Thanks.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Given the lack of consultation about all this, there are likely to be quite a few people coming in off the old BB who will not be entirely happy about what has occurred and who may over-react to it. If you are going to complain about those over-reactions, that's fair enough, but I would suggest that you isolate which parts of their posts you consider to be over-reactions, rather than dismiss their comments entirely.

Sorry about that. I didn't like the way he used the word "arrogance". Only I know how much work I put into this board, and importing atleast the members.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 03:29 PM
I would think that you could do the following on the old board.
1) Change everyones password so they can no longer logon to the board.
2) Disable registrations.

Therefore no new posts can be added, however people could still read the exisiting posts that were there as guests.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:29 PM

That is actually not legally the case on any BB anywhere - the owners of a site can also be held liable for any defamatory content published on their site. However, the main point of my query was simply to establish whether the ACF has any remaining legal obligations, I take it from your response that that's a "no". Thanks.

Thats correct, Please see my post in Announcements forum.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:33 PM

Therefore no new posts can be added, however people could still read the exisiting posts that were there as guests.

And how would you change 160 passwords?

I looked into it, there is no feature to stop registrations. I will try and lock up posting manually.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 03:38 PM

And how would you change 160 passwords?

I looked into it, there is no feature to stop registrations. I will try and lock up posting manually.
Since you obviously knew the 160 members passwords, then you could simply log on as those members and change their passwords.

Isn't Shaun Press an expert on Yabb. Perhaps he knows a way of disabling registrations. Failing that did anyone actually ask the designers of Yabb if it was possible.

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Ill try and do it, as I said before.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry about that. I didn't like the way he used the word "arrogance". Only I know how much work I put into this board, and importing atleast the members.
No one is implying you didnt.
However you seem to totally fail to appreciate the amount of effort many people put into their posts on the old board and how important many felt the information there to be.
You could have easily judged this when the board was hacked and we lost 3000 posts. It didnt take an Einstein to realise the response would be even worse if the whole board disappeared.

Your response to me was totally dismissive of my comments regarding the loss of the old board.

With all due respect to Kevin, I stand by my original comment. Your response reeked of arrogance.

Bill Gletsos
01-01-2004, 03:46 PM
What happened to Matthew Sweeney's post criticising the loss of the old board.

Matt said

Truly the most dispicable piece of dead-[censored] inspired vandalism I have seen in many years. A BB community has had its history erased without warning without consultation without apology. I sit here agast at the arragance of it. Bill Gletsos was spot on with his attitude (above) and Kevin is trying say ity too in a diplomatic manner.

Vandalism!

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I deleted it, since he edited, and decided to add some more. The posts are up. Closing this thread. Please use the "Old ACF posts" for this topic. Thanks