PDA

View Full Version : Vctoria is part of Australia too!

Leonid Sandler
25-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Some thoughts about Australian chess magazine.Its looks like that it is too NSW centred,and Victorian events are hardly mentioned,the latest example Vic championship 2004 where D.Johansen won his 10th Vic title.This was one of the strongest round robbin tournament in Australia in 2004 with many excellent games played.I hope that in new year Australian chess magazine will cover more Victorian events.

WhiteElephant
25-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Some thoughts about Australian chess magazine.Its looks like that it is too NSW centred,and Victorian events are hardly mentioned,the latest example Vic championship 2004 where D.Johansen won his 10th Vic title.This was one of the strongest round robbin tournament in Australia in 2004 with many excellent games played.I hope that in new year Australian chess magazine will cover more Victorian events.

I completely agree. I paid my yearly subscription yesterday and hope that a part of that goes towards reports on Vic Tournaments, if not in the first issue, then hopefully the other 5.

I would be curious to know the subscription numbers of different states - does anyone have figures on this?

Trent Parker
25-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I believe that Brian publishes What gets written.... So.....

Take your pen and paper..........

and start writing......

WhiteElephant
25-12-2004, 10:12 PM
I believe that Brian publishes What gets written.... So.....

Take your pen and paper..........

and start writing......

Sure, will I get paid for it?

I was under the impression that the editor (ie. Brian) compiled all the news, tournament results, etc.

Trent Parker
25-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm sure he would pay something small.....

Perhaps he could provide some details????

Brian_Jones
26-12-2004, 09:22 AM
In the past two years I have published reports from Nick Speck and Chris Depasquale about Australian Masters and Victorian Masters events. I have included a full report about 2004 Ballarat Begonia Open.

But Australian Chess is a national magazine - we only include events of national importance. We have not included major reports on any State Championships recently (however strong) because these are local events, not really open to interstate players. If Victorian readers want Victorian news and reports then lobby for "On the Move" to be re-instated or show interest in Gary Lycett's excellent email bulletin!

Maybe some people get an impression of NSW bias because of weekenders? But the biggest weekenders are Doeberl, Ballarat, Gold Coast etc not NSW.

Maybe some people get an impression of NSW bias because of contributors eg Wallace, Lane and Zworestine? Well in 2005, these will be joined by West and Zhao.

If anybody anywhere wants to contribute (paid or unpaid) please contact me or submit material for review. I am always interested in national news and events.

ursogr8
26-12-2004, 09:37 AM
In the past two years I have published reports from Nick Speck and Chris Depasquale about Australian Masters and Victorian Masters events. I have included a full report about 2004 Ballarat Begonia Open.

But Australian Chess is a national magazine - we only include events of national importance. We have not included major reports on any State Championships recently (however strong) because these are local events, not really open to interstate players.

If Victorian readers want Victorian news and reports then lobby for "On the Move" to be re-instated or show interest in Gary Lycett's excellent email bulletin!

hi Brian,
I do not think there is a groundswell for OTM as it was paper-based.
It has been superseded by the e-mail bulletin, and for 2005 it will be produced by our own Recherche; we are looking forward to the first edition.

Maybe some people get an impression of NSW bias because of weekenders? But the biggest weekenders are Doeberl, Ballarat, Gold Coast etc not NSW.

Maybe some people get an impression of NSW bias because of contributors eg Wallace, Lane and Zworestine? Well in 2005, these will be joined by West and Zhao.

And how could you forget the contributions by David Flude? Although originally a Kiwi, there are some who (reluctantly?) regard him as a permanent Mexican.

If anybody anywhere wants to contribute (paid or unpaid) please contact me or submit material for review. I am always interested in national news and events.

The most recent edition of your mag. is a great read over the festive season. Well produced. Luv the Morozevich v Ivanchuk game.

regards
starter

WhiteElephant
26-12-2004, 09:54 AM

But Australian Chess is a national magazine - we only include events of national importance. We have not included major reports on any State Championships recently (however strong) because these are local events, not really open to interstate players. If Victorian readers want Victorian news and reports then lobby for "On the Move" to be re-instated or show interest in Gary Lycett's excellent email bulletin!

That makes sense, thanks Brian. I will be looking forward to West's and Zhao's contributions. In the meantime, if I come across some Victorian news that is of national interest, I will get in touch with you to see if it might be included.

Regards,

W.E.

Spiny Norman
26-12-2004, 12:26 PM

Brian, would news of new clubs starting be of interest? Once we have our Croydon Chess website up and online I'd love to see a note in the newsletter to let people know we exist.

Brian_Jones
26-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Yes, please email details to info@chessaustralia.com.au

Spiny Norman
26-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Yes, please email details to info@chessaustralia.com.au

Thanks Brian, will do. I've got our webmeister working on things over the holiday break. :)