PDA

View Full Version : Cookie (or session?) expiry time?

Spiny Norman
20-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi STML,

I seem to have a bad case of "premature expiration". :eek:

When I'm using the board I tend to rely a fair bit on the New Posts option ... however of late I have noticed that if I am drawn away from the board for a while (e.g. I just went off to have dinner) when I return I find that clicking on New Posts option gives me either very few or no items at all, whereas when I left for my din-dins I had perhaps a dozen threads with post in them that I had not yet read.

Is it possible to address this by either (1) extending the session expiry (or cookie lifetime); or (2) providing an alternative option where we "Mark Thread As Read" when we are up to date with it (and those that prefer to work this way select this option in their profile)?

Regards,

Steve

Alan Shore
20-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Many of us have been having this problem, myself, Matt, arosar are just the ones who have noticed but I suspect many others would too. It also occurs when browsing the board, and also not marking read threads properly either. It's as if the BB is operated on timeframe refresh rather than individual clicking on a post/thread. Anyway, we've mentioned it before so hopefully K can come up with a solution.

skip to my lou
20-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Increased session expiry to 30 minutes instead of 10. See if it's alright now or..

Spiny Norman
20-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Increased session expiry to 30 minutes instead of 10. See if it's alright now or..

Thanks STML ... 10 minutes might have been a bit low for me ... it takes me longer than that to organise myself a coffee (or a glass of vino), tuck the kids into bed, visit the loo, etc. 30 minutes for us old codgers seems much more manageable, thanks!

skip to my lou
25-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Setting now changed to a new feature - database tracking instead of cookie tracking.

Rincewind
25-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Setting now changed to a new feature - database tracking instead of cookie tracking.

I like it.