PDA

View Full Version : Tourney Booklets (Split from support from mexicans

Paul S
15-12-2004, 10:23 PM
> We received 3 box fulls of red and blue entry booklets (3 from memory).
>> Probabaly 25 booklets left out of a few hundred.

That reminds me..............

Canterbury chess club has 30 members (none of whom are juniors), and of these 30 members it is very rare that 20 of them are there on the one night (although we sometimes get a few visitors from other clubs).

Canterbury got 50 Open (blue) and 50 Junior (red) Mt Buller booklets - 100 in total!

Anyway, during one round of the Canterbury Open I handed one out (red AND blue Mt Buller booklets) to each player plus the 3 or so "visitors" that were there that night. One of the visitors took about 20 booklets (10 of each). At the end of the night I had about 25 of each booklet left over (a few players did not take them home, but left them on their chess table).

So, I thought, I'll give the rest to Charles Zworestine at St George when I go there the next day. However, when I got to St George, Charles showed me the "Mt Buller box" that St George had got - 100 Open (blue) and 100 Junior (red) Mt Buller booklets - 200 in total! St George has about 70 members (none of whom are juniors), and of these 70-odd members it is very rare that more than 40 of them are there on the one night (although like Canterbury they sometimes get a few visitors from other clubs). Needless to say, Charles did not like the idea of me dumping another 50 (25 of each) on to the 200 already at St George, and he was hoping that I would take some of St George's excess for Canterbury!

I ended up dropping off (or should I say dumping!) about 40 (20 of each) of Canterbury's excess at Kerry Stead's place (who lives near me) - I suspect that Kerry found them an "unwanted present"!

Now, don't get me wrong, I think there is certainly a neccessary place for chess advertising and promotion of events. However, to print so many Mt Buller booklets (I understand that 10,000 of them were printed!!!) seems wasteful and environmentally irresponsible (cutting down of trees) when there will realistically only be about 100 players in the Seniors and about 100 players in the juniors!

I wonder how many extra players have attended Mt Buller as a result of these 10,000 booklets? My guess is that about 90% to 95% of Mt Buller players would have played at Mt Buller whether there was a booklet or not. So, this would mean that 5-10 juniors and 5-10 seniors (10-20 in total) will play in Mt Buller as a result of these 10,000 booklets. Is it worth all those trees being cut down (10,000 booklets) for an extra 10-20 players attending Mt Buller?

PHAT
15-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, ummm, I play chess in opens and at my club, and I have never even seen you of these booklets. It would seem that the distribution method has holes in it.

Paul S
15-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Well, ummm, I play chess in opens and at my club, and I have never even seen you of these booklets. It would seem that the distribution method has holes in it.

Give Charles Zworestine or Kerry Stead a ring - I reckon they would be more than happy to get rid of their excess booklets!!!

Garvinator
15-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Give Charles Zworestine or Kerry Stead a ring - I reckon they would be more than happy to get rid of their excess booklets!!!
I sent Candy Cane a few as well, thought she was going to hand them out to a few ppl at the gong.

Rincewind
16-12-2004, 06:41 AM
I sent Candy Cane a few as well, thought she was going to hand them out to a few ppl at the gong.

Bit late now, but John Mazzieri is probably a better contact for distributing stuff locally. No insult to Candy-Cane but John runs the juniors and seniors and so is seeing both groups weekly.

Libby
16-12-2004, 09:54 AM
That reminds me..............

Canterbury chess club has 30 members (none of whom are juniors), and of these 30 members it is very rare that 20 of them are there on the one night (although we sometimes get a few visitors from other clubs).

Canterbury got 50 Open (blue) and 50 Junior (red) Mt Buller booklets - 100 in total!

Anyway, during one round of the Canterbury Open I handed one out (red AND blue Mt Buller booklets) to each player plus the 3 or so "visitors" that were there that night. One of the visitors took about 20 booklets (10 of each). At the end of the night I had about 25 of each booklet left over (a few players did not take them home, but left them on their chess table).

So, I thought, I'll give the rest to Charles Zworestine at St George when I go there the next day. However, when I got to St George, Charles showed me the "Mt Buller box" that St George had got - 100 Open (blue) and 100 Junior (red) Mt Buller booklets - 200 in total! St George has about 70 members (none of whom are juniors), and of these 70-odd members it is very rare that more than 40 of them are there on the one night (although like Canterbury they sometimes get a few visitors from other clubs). Needless to say, Charles did not like the idea of me dumping another 50 (25 of each) on to the 200 already at St George, and he was hoping that I would take some of St George's excess for Canterbury!

I ended up dropping off (or should I say dumping!) about 40 (20 of each) of Canterbury's excess at Kerry Stead's place (who lives near me) - I suspect that Kerry found them an "unwanted present"!

Now, don't get me wrong, I think there is certainly a neccessary place for chess advertising and promotion of events. However, to print so many Mt Buller booklets (I understand that 10,000 of them were printed!!!) seems wasteful and environmentally irresponsible (cutting down of trees) when there will realistically only be about 100 players in the Seniors and about 100 players in the juniors!

I wonder how many extra players have attended Mt Buller as a result of these 10,000 booklets? My guess is that about 90% to 95% of Mt Buller players would have played at Mt Buller whether there was a booklet or not. So, this would mean that 5-10 juniors and 5-10 seniors (10-20 in total) will play in Mt Buller as a result of these 10,000 booklets. Is it worth all those trees being cut down (10,000 booklets) for an extra 10-20 players attending Mt Buller?

I thought the booklets looked nice - bit thin on content - and I believe a lot of sponsorship was involved in their production but I thought we could have got away with something like the photocopied form the kids had for Perth? I still have a heap at my place although we had them at all our junior events and handed out plenty and have record numbers coming from the ACT (for an "away" Juniors).

Anyway, all done now but (from the number left behind after just the entry form was removed) I don't think there is much value in doing something similar in future. People were also looking for info on where to stay and about Mt Buller in the booklets so if something is produced for future events it might be worth incorporating more of that detail (or at least links to that kind of info).

Paul S
16-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I thought the booklets looked nice - bit thin on content - and I believe a lot of sponsorship was involved in their production but I thought we could have got away with something like the photocopied form the kids had for Perth? I still have a heap at my place although we had them at all our junior events and handed out plenty and have record numbers coming from the ACT (for an "away" Juniors).

Anyway, all done now but (from the number left behind after just the entry form was removed) I don't think there is much value in doing something similar in future. People were also looking for info on where to stay and about Mt Buller in the booklets so if something is produced for future events it might be worth incorporating more of that detail (or at least links to that kind of info).

Hi Libby

I basically agree with your comments. Those Mt Buller booklets were indeed very thin on content (as far as usefulness to chess players is concerned). In those booklets there was basically nothing said about things like accommodation options, tourist attractions, activities for kids, sightseeing etc.

At the risk of sounding "unpatriotic", a few months ago someone (I had better not say who!) gave me a 16 x A5 page booklet about the 112th NZ Congress (which I later passed on to Kerry Stead some time ago, seeing as I was not going to play in it). The Mt Buller booklet was glossy and also had 16 x A5 pages (if my memory is correct - I don't have either booklet with me at present), but about half of it was filled with beer/alcohol adverts. By contrast the NZ booklet had some accommodation and touristy info, and the organisers even offered to arrange cheaper (ie twin share) accommodation upon request for people travelling to the event by themselves! Contrast this with the Mt Buller event where people are basically told that "we (the organisers) are not interested in assisting with accommodation (but we request you stay at the Mercure)"! Well, as a single person, I found the NZ offer (to arrange cheaper accommodation upon request for people travelling to the event by themselves) quite appealing (even though I was never going to play in their event), and IMHO something that the Mt Buller organisers should be offering to do!

I mean, think about it.....apart from organisers/arbiters Charles Zworestine and Kerry Stead who (understandably and deservedly so) have their accommodation provided to them at Mt Buller, I don't know of anyone from St George or Canterbury chess clubs who is going to Mt Buller! So, if I was theoretically to go to Mt Buller (BTW, my work and other commitments in December/January make this impractical), I would almost certainly have to pay for single accommodation. I guess the point I am trying to raise is this: how many people in the Australian chess community are there who would have been prepared to go to the upcoming Mt Buller event(s) by themselves but cannot afford it (and so not gone) due to 1) not being able to find anyone to go with and therefore 2) facing the prospect of paying "single supplement" rates for accommodation? IMHO there would be a greater attendance at the upcoming Mt Buller events if the organisers there had made an offer similar to the NZ 112th Congress at Wanganui organisers of offering to pair people travelling to the event by themselves (but willing to share accommodation) with other like minded individuals.

Libby, I have read a lot of your posts in the "Junior Mt Buller threads" and have thought that (like Jenni Oliver) the comments and criticisms you make are nearly always valid and/or constructive (and that like Jenni you have more than done your bit for chess administration and that you should be treated with more respect by the Mt Buller organisers) - sorry for not expressing these thoughts earlier!

One final point. I am sick of hearing this phrase "in the interests of Australian chess". What does it matter if someone plays chess in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or whatever! I'm sure most people would see the absurdity of a phrase "in the interests of Canterbury and St George chess clubs" whereby anyone who does not play chess for one of these clubs is made to feel somehow "unpatriotic". So, why should "in the interests of Australian chess" be somehow superior to "in the interests of NSW chess" or "in the interests of XXXXXX (insert the chess organisation of your choice)"?

arosar
17-12-2004, 08:06 AM
At the risk of sounding "unpatriotic", a few months ago someone (I had better not say who!) gave me a 16 x A5 page booklet about the 112th NZ Congress (which I later passed on to Kerry Stead some time ago, seeing as I was not going to play in it). The Mt Buller booklet was glossy and also had 16 x A5 pages (if my memory is correct - I don't have either booklet with me at present), but about half of it was filled with beer/alcohol adverts. By contrast the NZ booklet had some accommodation and touristy info, and the organisers even offered to arrange cheaper (ie twin share) accommodation upon request for people travelling to the event by themselves! Contrast this with the Mt Buller event where people are basically told that "we (the organisers) are not interested in assisting with accommodation (but we request you stay at the Mercure)"! Well, as a single person, I found the NZ offer (to arrange cheaper accommodation upon request for people travelling to the event by themselves) quite appealing (even though I was never going to play in their event), and IMHO something that the Mt Buller organisers should be offering to do!

You're back on me Chrissy list. Remind me to buy you a beer next time we meet. It'll have to be after Feb sometime. I'm off to NZ in a few days then UK shortly thereafter.

AR

Paul S
17-12-2004, 08:57 AM
You're back on me Chrissy list. Remind me to buy you a beer next time we meet. It'll have to be after Feb sometime. I'm off to NZ in a few days then UK shortly thereafter.

AR

A free beer sounds good to me! :clap: Can't knock back an offer like that! :D

Enjoy your holiday and keep us BB inhabitatants informed about your overseas adventures.