PDA

View Full Version : Prizemoney- Entry Fees

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Helping out The wise man. Hope you dont mind?

arosar
13-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Oh you're such a bloody hero! Geez . . .

Delete your friggin' post and let TWM do it.

AR

The_Wise_Man
13-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Thanks for that.... don't you hate it when your manager walks past you at work....

arosar
13-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks for that.... don't you hate it when your manager walks past you at work....

Well I hate it even more when some bastard steals me thunder.

AR

The_Wise_Man
13-12-2004, 04:45 PM
he meant well... so no skin off my nose!

Recherché
13-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Copied over from the original thread:

For a single day rapid tournament, I'd prefer:

$10 Entry Fee; $100 First Prize; $400 Prizemoney

For a weekender or multiple-week tournament at longer time controls I'd prefer (or rather, be willing to pay; I'd just as happily enter at $10/$100/$400):

$25 Entry Fee; $300 First Prize; $800 Prizemoney

Paying a huge entry fee in the hopes of winning huge prize money is really just gambling for most players; if you're strong enough to be confident of winning a tournament then you'll probably get exempted from the tournament entry fee anyway. Gambling is fine for some people, but I have no interest in it.

I enter tournaments for the opportunity to play chess, which I enjoy, and hope to keep improving at. Prize money is all well and good, but basically I want the tournament to be worthy of my entry fee regardless of whether I win anything.

Incidentally, I'd quite happily play in a chess tournament with no prize money and a nominal entry fee (just whatever it costs to get the tournament rated).

Garvinator
13-12-2004, 04:54 PM
I dont have a lot of money so entry fees are a real concern for me. Also I would rather see alot more ppl playing with less entry fees, as long as the tournament doesnt run at a financial loss.

Bill Gletsos
13-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Copied over from the original thread:

For a single day rapid tournament, I'd prefer:

$10 Entry Fee; $100 First Prize; $400 Prizemoney

For a weekender or multiple-week tournament at longer time controls I'd prefer (or rather, be willing to pay; I'd just as happily enter at $10/$100/$400):

$25 Entry Fee; $300 First Prize; $800 Prizemoney
For that prizemoney in both events you need 40 people.
Where do you get the money to pay for rent, Arbiters fees and rating fees.

Incidentally, I'd quite happily play in a chess tournament with no prize money and a nominal entry fee (just whatever it costs to get the tournament rated).
The last time NSW tried that no one over 2000 entered and the numbers that did enter were pretty dismal.

Recherché
13-12-2004, 06:32 PM
For that prizemoney in both events you need 40 people.
Where do you get the money to pay for rent, Arbiters fees and rating fees.

I'm only commenting on the personal appeal of the propositions put forward, not their viability or lack thereof.

That said, 60-80 people isn't unusual for the primary tournaments where I normally play.

Also venue rent and arbiter's fees vary enormously. In some cases, a tournament incurs neither, in others they may be quite substantial.

The last time NSW tried that no one over 2000 entered and the numbers that did enter were pretty dismal.

I was just commenting on what I'd do, not what I thought would be popular. In fact I think there's decent evidence to suggest that, up to a point, higher entry/higher prize money is more generally attractive. I just happen to dislike it myself, because it runs at odds with both my personal reasons for playing chess, and my available funds. :)