PDA

View Full Version : is chess a sport??

xiao1985
15-12-2003, 02:20 PM
yes i noe, gandalf, do not mention BoS stuff on here, but lyk, i found this fairly interestin debate on chess, n whether it is a sport... check it out if u haf time... =)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6907

Gandalf
15-12-2003, 04:30 PM
You misunderstood! If it's chess then I don't care where it is. But if it's just BoS personalities, then it doesn't belong here... :p

Anyway, yeah, this is a good link.

skip to my lou
15-12-2003, 10:19 PM
lol funny thread

arosar
01-01-2004, 05:51 PM
It's amazing what chess can do. Last night, some mates and I went to the Exchange Hotel, on Oxford St, set up two boards and played and drunk and played and drunk. As the crowds came in after the fireworks show, we were completely surrounded by interested onlookers. Some even sat down to play; others actually applauded as we finished each game of blitz. Chess is definitely a sport and a spectator sport. A wonderful time was had by all.

AR

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 05:55 PM
True. When I was in school, we set up a simul chess display in lunch time, we got too many spectators, around 400.

chesslover
01-01-2004, 09:28 PM
True. When I was in school, we set up a simul chess display in lunch time, we got too many spectators, around 400.
Agree

Chess is indeed a sport.The fact is most sport administrators think that a sport is just something that involves physical activity

Maybe what we need is some sort of physical activity every time we take a piece or give check or checkmate? :o :idea:

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 09:31 PM
lol :)

100 pushups for checkmate! :D

chesslover
01-01-2004, 09:37 PM
lol :)

100 pushups for checkmate! :D

exactly, now you are talking

we should actually patent this idea :idea:

this way for those silly sports administrators who think that a sport must involve physical activity, we can have some pushups after check mate, a run around the block after a piece capture etc etc

That way chess will not only be a clever mental sport, but will also be a physical sport.

I think that this is worth a try...really :)

skip to my lou
01-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Hmm, you know I've seen the 1995 (I think) Blitz tournament that I think IBM? ran. And the American commentators really fire up the moment. If we can get some coverage like that in australia, it would be really great.

chesslover
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Hmm, you know I've seen the 1995 (I think) Blitz tournament that I think IBM? ran. And the American commentators really fire up the moment. If we can get some coverage like that in australia, it would be really great.

what we need is a daryl eastlake.

Who can forget how he made Lawn Bowls so exiting when he commented on that for the commonwealth games?

JGB
07-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Its a 'denksport' German word meaning Think sport.

Javier Gil
10-02-2004, 10:32 AM
This is actually quite a serious issue, as getting the status of "sport" would grant the ACF some well needed funds and subsidies.
Chess is considered a sport in most European countries that I know.
The question is, if isn't a sport to the eyes of Australian politicians, what is it?
Because it's probably easier for them to give them a "no qualification" activity, and thus, it gets no goverment money whatsoever.

arosar
10-02-2004, 11:27 AM
It's considered a sport in the Philippines too.

AR

antichrist
11-02-2004, 02:08 PM
It's considered a sport in the Philippines too.

AR

I played it over there in Baguio where Fisher/Spassky played, Burnham Park area. Initally I was out of form and lost money, then when in form and winning money back they ran away. So and so shifties.

I was residing at an ex champs place and took a lot of games off him.

My other chess mate, the barrio champ, got convicted of child rape charges and may even have been executed in that frenzy a few years ago. So I sent him some chess books in prison.

eclectic
11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
This is actually quite a serious issue, as getting the status of "sport" would grant the ACF some well needed funds and subsidies.
Chess is considered a sport in most European countries that I know.
The question is, if isn't a sport to the eyes of Australian politicians, what is it?
Because it's probably easier for them to give them a "no qualification" activity, and thus, it gets no goverment money whatsoever.
It's not only its lack of recognition as a sport that is a problem.

A few years back I noticed that the TAFE system was using a picture of some chess pieces on a boad for its course booklet replete with the motto "Make The Right Move".

Would the ACF or the appropriate state association have got some remuneration for that? I doubt it.

Was there some mention in that course booklet encouraging people to join a chess club ? I doubt it.

If their front cover had been of a reproduction of some Australian painting VisCopy would have been hunting them down for royalties.

Chess, however, is considered public domain. Players are not even allowed to collect royalties for their games.

Think of what could be claimed every time some TV or radio sports commentator used some chess aphorism if chess was considered the intellectual property of the ACF and its subsiduaries (or that the ACF was the custodian of chess as a member of FIDE).

eg

"Oh, Kevin Sheedy, ... he's so confused he's making more moves than Spassky!!"

"This test match has slowed down to become to deep strategical chess game ... it could even end up as a stalemate".

I hope I am not too over the top about this.

Finally

If Chess is not recognised as a sport should earnings from it be given tax exempt status (including no GST on books and equipment)?

I'm sure someone around would know how much tax the government(s) receive from chess.

Based on that amount is it too much to ask that grants be forthcoming ...

especially in Olympiad years?

eclectic

ToeAndno
16-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Yes, Chess IS a sport and is also the only Olympic sport that you can play on the internet.

Lucena
16-04-2004, 11:10 PM
Yes, Chess IS a sport and is also the only Olympic sport that you can play on the internet.Olympic? News to me.

ToeAndno
17-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Yes it is an Olympic sport. They have men and women's Olympic teams.

Garvinator
17-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Yes it is an Olympic sport. They have men and women's Olympic teams.
chess is not an olympic sport. I think you are referring to the chess olympiad that is held every two years and is being held later this year in spain.

Rincewind
17-04-2004, 01:42 AM
chess is not an olympic sport. I think you are referring to the chess olympiad that is held every two years and is being held later this year in spain.

It is not a sport in competition at the Summer or Winter Olympic games and therefore not an Olympic Sport, per se. However, chess is a sport recognised by the Olympic Moverment. FIDE is the recognised International Federation of the sport of chess as per Chapter 3 of the Olympic Charter.

However, since chess is a sport recognised by the IOC I can't see anything stopping it from becoming an olympic sport. It certainly makes the cut in terms of its being played in the requisite number of countries, etc. One of the issues is the Summer Olympics is already a logisitical nightmare, so new events (let alone sports) are hard to squeeze in.

Alan Shore
17-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Now we just need to get Aussie Rules in.. sneak it into the Commonwealth Games and go from there ;)

Trent Parker
17-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Now we just need to get Aussie Rules in.. sneak it into the Commonwealth Games and go from there ;)

So Australia can get another gold medal? :eek: :lol:

PHAT
18-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Surely chess would be better suited to inclution in the \ Winter Olymics.

ToeAndno
19-04-2004, 03:15 AM
I don't know, it would get pretty cold sat out there. At least the other sports players get to move around to keep warm.

Garvinator
19-04-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't know, it would get pretty cold sat out there. At least the other sports players get to move around to keep warm.

im pretty sure the tournament hall and other areas would be air- conditioned and heated :owned:

arosar
31-08-2004, 06:17 PM
The article here really talks about Math. However, there is extensive references to chess - including links to IOC recommendation that chess, along with bridge, will no longer be subject to further consideration for inclusion into the Olympics programme.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2103903

AR

Kevin Bonham
01-09-2004, 04:50 AM
From the article:

Wittgenstein is skeptical that the set of "games" can be exactly circumscribed at all. At best, one gives examples and draws out "family resemblances"—activity X looks a bit like checkers and a bit like whist, and there's something in it that recalls hacky sack, so we call it a game.

Wittgenstein also applied this "family resemblance" concept to the meanings of several other words. I have lost count of the number of arguments about definitions I have used his simple stroke of genius to win. I first came across it when studying philosophy of art. It made the rest of the course look like irrelevant, futile, primitive rubbish by comparison.

To win the argument about chess being a sport on Wittgenstein's terms we have to not only draw resemblances with things that are called sports, but also draw enough different resemblances to establish chess as part of the "family" - show that chess is no more isolated from the family of other sports as other things that are clearly considered "sports" are.

JGB
02-09-2004, 02:35 AM
Surely chess would be better suited to inclution in the \ Winter Olymics.

hey, if Curling gets in Chess aint far off ;)