PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Chess

Vijayendra
03-12-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi Folks,
:(
I was away last week for a tournament. I fared well in the Team event(3.5 out of 5),but found it difficult in the rapid games (30 min per player).

In all the games I lost, found my position was better with material plus, but losing on time bugs me.

How to improve in rapid events?

I can't make reckless moves without a purpose for the sake of speed chess.

What are time saving tips in rapid chess?

Regards

Vijayendra

xiao1985
03-12-2003, 09:21 PM
30 min per player?? in all the tournamentz i haf been to, 30 minz r lyk standard, wif no extra time i fink... lolz =p sowee, can't help much on it

skip to my lou
03-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Write down the time next to every second move you make. Do not write moves for the last 5 or 10 minutes. It helps you recognize where you are spending extra time. Playing strategically rather than tactically saves alot of time. Try and get your opponent to play into a line you know. Knowing your openings inside out really helps. Especially in rapid/speed chess where there is not much time. Playing passive will not help. Though, attacking where there is nothing to attack will not help either. You need to play aggresive where possible. Defending is harder than attacking in such short games. This is the way I play speed chess, and my lightning chess strength is much much higher than my standard chess strength!

Vijayendra
04-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks a Lot Jeo

I usually play passively and take pride in defending. Now I should play aggressively in rapid games.

Regards
:)

skip to my lou
04-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Just give it a try.. let us know how it goes.

Gandalf
06-12-2003, 03:09 PM
I was always scared of timed games. In fact, I've never played them in competition because I just can't stand to play a move without thinking it through. Guess I should practice! :)

xiao1985
06-12-2003, 06:32 PM
lolz, hihiz gandalf, ain't u in, south east asia atm??

newaz, how did u becum the enemy of TIFHA?? dat was funnie tho, ahahaha.... =)

Gandalf
10-12-2003, 01:16 AM
Yes, I'm in Manila at the moment, typing on prepaid internet.

And don't port discussions over from BoS! :P The story is really dumb. I basically don't think "Truly_In_Bliss" needs a mass of webfans declaring how "hot" she is. Anyway, no more deviant discussions, back to chess!

xiao1985
10-12-2003, 04:25 PM
kz kz, =p bleh, my mistake...

n i suck in lightnin... rapid is alrite, but i prefer fink more n over prepare dan under prepare... also cuz i can't be bothered to study openinz etc... =(