PDA

View Full Version : Chess and Health

Vijayendra
16-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Chess and Hypertension

People with Hypertension should they take some precautions while playing chess? Is chess too serious stuff that may cause stress on human body?

Any doctors around? Any Yoga experts in chesskit forum, please throw some light on this subject
:?:

Vijayendra
16-11-2003, 01:37 AM
I forgot to mention this

Some doctors are of the opinion : Playing chess & crosswords at old age keeps brain cells active and prevent diseases such as Alzhemeirs & Parkinson etc.,

But at a later age can one pesue chess seriously? Will it cause Hypertension?
:?:

skip to my lou
16-11-2003, 02:28 AM
I can say one thing for sure... Generally, to play chess well, you need to be physically fit and active.

Im not exactly sure on the Hypertension though, maybe someone else can help.

xiao1985
16-11-2003, 10:16 AM
I can say one thing for sure... Generally, to play chess well, you need to be physically fit and active.

Im not exactly sure on the Hypertension though, maybe someone else can help.

ahem, yea... :oops: but like, pplz noe me will know that i ... err... not that fit =p

Gandalf
16-11-2003, 08:54 PM
I can say one thing for sure... Generally, to play chess well, you need to be physically fit and active.I don't think so. It may help in that your body is better developed to handle stress symptoms (ie greater blood oxygen carrying capacity, lower blood pressure and deeper breathing) but the major focus of pressure is the brain. Overweight grandmasters can easily outplay lesser, fitter opponents because they are better thinkers. :)
I'm not exactly sure on the Hypertension though, maybe someone else can help.This statement (that chess is a danger to the old and infirm) can really only be applied to those who are physically weak and have particular problems (such as heart problems, high blood pressure, and other stress-triggered ailments). A leisurely game of chess does indeed prolong the active lifetime of the mind, though old men in a cardiatric ward are forbidden from playing tournament-level games for obvious reasons. :P

Basically, if Kasparov were on the heavy side with heart disease his doctors wouldn't let him play.

skip to my lou
16-11-2003, 09:51 PM
lol, I do not agree with the first part of your message Gandalf.

I don't think doctors have a say in whether Kasparov plays or not.

xiao1985
16-11-2003, 10:08 PM
lol, I do not agree with the first part of your message Gandalf.

I don't think doctors have a say in whether Kasparov plays or not.

i fink mikhail tal, even wif his unhelpful health, still (i fink escaped from hospital to chess clubs) to play chess... the passion for chess is not obstructed by any health means... tho physically it may impede the player from taking part in chess tournaments...

but i fink mental health (as contrastin to physical health) is an aspect of playin good chess, but like mostly is the trainin of keepin consciousness and concentration at times of exhaustion. cuz at tournaments (either round robin or swiss) consecutive 6-8 games are expected in a day. by the end, one must be exhausted. hence those who can keep a clear mind clearly haf an advantage and more of a chance to win.

Rahul
20-11-2003, 09:58 PM
efinitely good for the mind.
IMO, anything can lead to hypertension if the person is mentally unwell, ie- obsessive, etc. i dont think it is related to chess, more the fact that the person has the problems...chess being a victim in its path :D :D