PDA

View Full Version : Dear Fellow BB inhabitants

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi all,

The way things have panned out, it looks like I am now a good chance to play at Mt Buller. I wanted to ask some of you though, where you were staying. Garvin's provided me with a bit of a list of accommodation on the cheaper side, as Mercure, as attractive as it is, is proving to be too expensive for me at this stage. It would be great if we all were to gravitate to one place as I'm sure we'd have more fun with more company of people we've at least exchanged ideas with over this BB if not met in real life.

If you've not yet booked here are a couple of possible options given to me that are reasonable:

AESKI LODGE http://www.mtbuller.com.au/aeski/

Mulligatawny Ski Club http://www.mtbuller.com.au/mulligatawny/

Or if any of you have any further suggestions. If you'd rather not reply directly on this thread, feel free to send me a PM.

Hopefully this won't cause any of you to run away and cancel your bookings if you find I'm staying at the same place ;)

Thankyou,

Bruce

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm probably going to stay at Ski club Victoria.

This costs $45 a night. if a bulk booking is cheaper....... hey i'm in!!! :D

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:22 AM
I'm probably going to stay at Ski club Victoria.

This costs $45 a night. if a bulk booking is cheaper....... hey i'm in!!! :D

Why don't you take a tent and go camp out in the bush. You'll save a heap. ;)

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

The way things have panned out, it looks like I am now a good chance to play at Mt Buller. I wanted to ask some of you though, where you were staying. Garvin's provided me with a bit of a list of accommodation on the cheaper side, as Mercure, as attractive as it is, is proving to be too expensive for me at this stage. It would be great if we all were to gravitate to one place as I'm sure we'd have more fun with more company of people we've at least exchanged ideas with over this BB if not met in real life.

If you've not yet booked here are a couple of possible options given to me that are reasonable:

AESKI LODGE http://www.mtbuller.com.au/aeski/

Mulligatawny Ski Club http://www.mtbuller.com.au/mulligatawny/

Or if any of you have any further suggestions. If you'd rather not reply directly on this thread, feel free to send me a PM.

Hopefully this won't cause any of you to run away and cancel your bookings if you find I'm staying at the same place ;)

Thankyou,

Bruce

Aeski looks ok i'd be in that....

Note there is a $250 lodge opening fee for opening in non peak. If 4 people are in it still may be cheaper than Ski Victoria.

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:26 AM
The 'Bivi Bag' Mate; the tent! You'll save a fortune. Just dont set it up in the main street. ;)

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Why don't you take a tent and go camp out in the bush. You'll save a heap. ;)

you can do that??? :D

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:32 AM
you can do that??? :D

Why not?

Its not for everyone, but I've done it in Croatia and Cornwall last year. Can save a heap if you can handle it. :)

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:32 AM
mulligatawny looks ok as well. would need another person to put in because it will only accept bookings of at least $300.

Hey Bruce, What tourney are you going for??

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 08:33 AM
mulligatawny looks ok as well. would need another person to put in because it will only accept bookings of at least $300.

Hey Bruce, What tourney are you going for??
ill answer that as i am here, bruce wanting to play in the minor.

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Why not?

Its not for everyone, but I've done it in Croatia and Cornwall last year. Can save a heap if you can handle it. :)

I just thought there might be some regulations regarding camping.

ggray is there any camping grounds at mount buller????

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Btw Bruce. Expect some variation on the prices on that mt buller website. those prices are 2004 prices not 2005 prices.

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I just thought there might be some regulations regarding camping.

ggray is there any camping grounds at mount buller????

Yeah m8, thats what im talking about there always is. You think they run a big chess event anywhere and allow camping on the doorstep, that why you take your bivi bag in a day pack and do it all secret like. Thats why its not for everyone. ;) get caught and its your a** not mine. :cool:

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
ggray is there any camping grounds at mount buller???? there are picnic grounds down the bottom of the mountain, but no camping grounds. Caravans arent even allowed inside the mt buller area. So no camping out as far as i know. Also the nights can be 0 degrees, so I dont recommend camping out, but that is up to you
:P ;) :cool:

arosar
08-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Didn't Bolens camp out for some Doeberl one year??

AR

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
stuff that! :D

JGB
08-12-2004, 08:46 AM
there are picnic grounds down the bottom of the mountain, but no camping grounds. Caravans arent even allowed inside the mt buller area. So no camping out as far as i know. Also the nights can be 0 degrees, so I dont recommend camping out, but that is up to you
:P ;) :cool:

Unless your hard core, dont even worry about camping out. If your not a camper (and i'm not talking about with a caravan either)you probably don't want to have the worst chess tournament of your life. Its not easy to do and you've had it when the games are over. Enjoy the tournament and book yourself into a nice accomodation.

...as for me I would take my handful sized bivi bag and walk about 1 'click' directly into the bush and sleep, no worries, get up ready for a day of chess. Its a state of mind.

Libby
08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
ACT people have booked into 2 places for the Juniors and I know some people are staying for the earlier events.

Benmore Lodge @ $30/night adults which is a LEVEL WALK to the playing venue (which after the schools I am told can be a significant plus!) 2 rooms have ensuites otherwise share bathrooms. ACT people there for the schools said it was excellent. Contact Sally Williams sallinc@satlink.com.au Big shared kitchen & common areas.

Avalanche Alpine Lodge has apartments for $560/wk but sleep 8 people so can be as little as $10/night pp. They also have double rooms ($200/wk pp) with shared facilities (apartments have all their own facilities incl kitchen, bathroom etc) and the Lodge has it's own Bar and recreation rooms. Bit further to walk (about 700 metres) including the tricky uphill bit between the Mercure & Abom which is apparently a great personal fitness tool. Contact Jacqui Stiles bookings@avalanchechalet.com.au

The rates on the website www.mtbuller.com.au are very rubbery but anyone I have contacted is really helpful and very open to negotiate when big groups or longer stays are involved. Aeski were very helpful and the lodge looks great (I have the glossy brochure) but they required a minimum of 20 bookings and a $250 fee to open. They did knock the rate down to $25 pp for us (for a possible booking for the Juniors) but we decided on the other options instead as they suited our players & families better. Try contacting Sue bookings@aeski.com.au

Libby

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the extra info Libby! Both of those are also viable (and rather attractive) options.

Trent, it'd be cool to stay at the same place as you but not the ski lodge, $45/night is beyond my budget. I will find out more today from Benmore and Avalanche Alpine.

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 02:02 PM
They also have double rooms ($200/wk pp) with shared facilities (apartments have all their own facilities incl kitchen, bathroom etc)

If my calculations are correct that's $28/night for the 2-3 person share one at Alpine, which would be pretty comfortable and it seems nice on the site. Would be right on 7 nights I suppose.. possibly 6.

Belmore has this provisor though,
Summer Rates: On application for groups of 10 or more

What dates are you going Trent?

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
If my calculations are correct that's $28/night for the 2-3 person share one at Alpine, which would be pretty comfortable and it seems nice on the site. Would be right on 7 nights I suppose.. possibly 6.

At this point in time i will be going down there on the 1st and returning after the last round on the 5th probably.

if we are able to get the cheaper accomodation i might stay longer (as long as i can get a lift Back to Sydney/Canberra/Anywhere in NSW which has an xpt/explorer service)

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 02:54 PM
At this point in time i will be going down there on the 1st and returning after the last round on the 5th probably.
how will you be going home after the last round on the 5th?

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 02:57 PM
the same way i'll be getting down there! :lol:

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 02:58 PM
the same way i'll be getting down there! :lol:
i take it that will be with Matt Sweeney?

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 02:59 PM
yep

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 03:02 PM
yep
you do realise that play wont finish most likely till about 7pm maybe on the 5th. So maybe staying till the 6th might be a better option. Would you be interested in playing in the lightning on the 6th as well?

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Perhaps. Just depends on:

a) What Sweeney is doing.
b) Whether i can get a lift to one of the abovementioned destinations afterwards.
c) and money money money

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 03:11 PM
yep

Are you guys driving down the whole way?

Libby
08-12-2004, 03:15 PM

It is worth contacting people directly. When I first booked at Benmore it was only for my daughter and myself and subsequently grew into a bigger (fully booked) group. So we didn't meet the 10 person minimum at the stage they accepted our booking.

Also, check with Avalanche directly as they have different rates for different lengths of stay (7 day rate, 5 day rate etc). We have booked 2 ACT coaches into double rooms @$200 pw pp and they have their own double room (ie you don't pay $400 because only one person in the room - and they're double beds, not twin). On the actual lodge website www.avalanchealpinelodge.com.au they actually have the floor plans so you can see how each apartment/room etc is laid out.

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah. Sweeney is. I'm just hitchin' a ride.

I cannot drive coz of my crappy eyesight.

Libby
08-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Are you guys driving down the whole way?

More than 7 hours (including a lunch stop) from Canberra by car. The last part of the journey is quite wind-y and slow - up a mountain obviously :eek:

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Libby,

Looking at the avalanche map, avalanche is a decent walk and would be a real fitness test for most ppl due to the altitude. I would be looking at other options unless you like a decent walk each day.

Libby
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Libby,

Looking at the avalanche map, avalanche is a decent walk and would be a real fitness test for most ppl due to the altitude. I would be looking at other options unless you like a decent walk each day.

Hi Garvin

People did explore last weekend. They said it is about 700-800 metres from ABOM and is only steep for the part of the walk between the Mercure and ABOM - which even will test the fitness of those at the Mercure I heard! :)

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Garvin

People did explore last weekend. They said it is about 700-800 metres from ABOM and is only steep for the part of the walk between the Mercure and ABOM - which even will test the fitness of those at the Mercure I heard! :)
this is correct, hence why I would recommend places around benmore or snowmass as a better option for those who are looking away from mercure.

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 03:31 PM
More than 7 hours (including a lunch stop) from Canberra by car. The last part of the journey is quite wind-y and slow - up a mountain obviously :eek:

So ya reckon we should allow 9hrs

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Chalet Accommodation includes:

Nintendo and games, available for hire

I am so there!

But seriously, those guys got their own double room for that? That's pretty good.. all I need to decide is the length of stay now.

Garvin, tell me about the party on the 31st, worth attending?

Also, if someone was driving back to Melbourne on either the 5th or 6th I'd be really really grateful for a lift!

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Libby,

I would not mind the walk - it would give me some exercise which everyone can always use. As long as we're not talking vertical cliff face that will take 30 mins to scale :P

Bill Gletsos
08-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Well Norm Greenwood and I will be driving down together from Sydney for the National Conference. That should make it around a 11.5 hr trip.

JimF
08-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Having looked at a map, Mt Buller is about 1800m. If I remember my visit a few years ago the village is not far below the top. If I further remember my high school maths, 1800m is about 6,000ft. So if you have breathing problems, heart problems or are an asthmatic, take care. Also you may be subject to altitude sickness (don't laugh it can occur at much lower levels as well.)

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 05:30 PM
I would not mind the walk - it would give me some exercise which everyone can always use. As long as we're not talking vertical cliff face that will take 30 mins to scale :P
for some ppl, jenni ;) it almost felt like a vertical cliff face. Seriously though, as JimF points out, there is a reduced level of oxygen and some of us did notice the difference.

jenni
08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
for some ppl, jenni ;) it almost felt like a vertical cliff face. Seriously though, as JimF points out, there is a reduced level of oxygen and some of us did notice the difference.

Don't be nasty - by the Sunday I could get half way up before I started panting. :)

jenni
08-12-2004, 05:51 PM
There are some nice tennis courts there, but if you plan to use them, bring a tennis racquet, as it is $10 to hire one. Cost of hire of the tennis court is $15 per hour - not so bad if you split the cost and have your own racquet.

Candy-Cane
08-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Good to c some tasmanians have entered. =)

Whos going to go swimming in thoses temperatures?!

jenni
08-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Good to c some tasmanians have entered. =)

Whos going to go swimming in thoses temperatures?!
The pool is a very nice indoor heated pool - I am told very pleasant to use even when cold outside. Hopefully by January it won't be too chilly outside. I was fairly cold on the Thursday and Friday, but by the weekend it was pleasant with a jacket needed late afternoon/evening

JimF
08-12-2004, 07:57 PM
If the distance from the Mecure to the ABOM is 700-800m up a steep incline (as indicated by Libby), I am glad I will be holidaying near Geelong and not organising this event. Hope your insurance coverage is up to date because if any player who does walk up that slope and who does suffer from physical ailments and who has not been warned about the matter (or for whom alternative transport has not been arranged) and who snuffs it, you could have a slight problem. Check.

At least a beach is relatively level and even!

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 08:03 PM
If the distance from the Mecure to the ABOM is 700-800m up a steep incline (as indicated by Libby), I am glad I will be holidaying near Geelong and not organising this event. Hope your insurance coverage is up to date because if any player who does walk up that slope and who does suffer from physical ailments and who has not been warned about the matter (or for whom alternative transport has not been arranged) and who snuffs it, you could have a slight problem. Check.

At least a beach is relatively level and even!
the distance from mercure to abom is about 200 metres. the 700 metre reference is from avalanche to abom restaurant and I have said I dont recommend staying there unless you want a good walk and exercise. :hand:

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 08:58 PM
From Picton to Mansfield according to www.whereis.com.au

Turn right at ARGYLE ST, PICTON
728 m 1 Min

Turn right at MENANGLE RD, PICTON
5.21 km 7 Mins

Continue along WILTON RD, MALDON
3.45 km 4 Mins

Continue along PICTON RD, MALDON
1.21 km 1 Min

Continue along WILTON RD, PHEASANTS NEST
203 m 1 Min

Continue along RAMP > HUME HWY, PHEASANTS NEST
482.39 km 6 Hrs 26 Mins

Turn right at HUME FWY, WODONGA
113.90 km 1 Hr 31 Mins

Turn left at MIDLAND HWY, BENALLA
56.53 km 1 Hr 21 Mins

Continue along HIGHETT ST, MANSFIELD
1.31 km 1 Min

Take the 4th exit at ROUNDABOUT > HIGH ST, MANSFIELD
447 m 1 Min

Turn left at MAROONDAH HWY, MANSFIELD
40 m 1 Min

Turn left at ULTIMO ST, MANSFIELD
689 m 2 Mins

Turn right at MALCOLM ST, MANSFIELD
133 m 1 Min

Finish MALCOLM ST, MANSFIELD
666.41 km 9 Hrs 42

Estimated time of Journey 9hrs 42 minutes

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 08:59 PM
then you need to add just under an hour for your first trip from mansfield to mt buller, especially if it is being done at night.

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 09:09 PM
what is the closest town to mt buller other than Mt buller?

and How far is it from Mt buller to Mt Hotham just out of curiosity?

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
what is the closest town to mt buller other than Mt buller? about 30 kms away at least is merrijig i think, then mansfield is 50kms.

and How far is it from Mt buller to Mt Hotham just out of curiosity? i dont have a clue, very far i think as i have not seen mt hotham on any road signs on the way to/from mt buller.

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I see now it is quite a distance.

jenni
08-12-2004, 09:24 PM
what is the closest town to mt buller other than Mt buller?

and How far is it from Mt buller to Mt Hotham just out of curiosity?

Not sure of distance - maybe an hour/hour and a half? We passed the turnoff to Mt Hotham about 3/4 hour before we turned at Benalla.

jenni
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
It took Tony about 6 1/2 hours to drive from Canberra to Mt Buller, including a quick stop for something to eat. It took Charles and I about 8 hours to do the same trip, but we stoppped more often (and longer).

Trent Parker
08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
looks like mt hotham is several hours away from mt buller.

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 09:35 PM
looks like mt hotham is several hours away from mt buller.
that would be correct. I heard during the schools that mt buffalo can be seen way in the distance on a clear day.

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Garvin, I'm still waiting for details of this New Years Eve bash, I want to know if it'll be wothwhile coming a day early for it!

Garvinator
08-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Garvin, I'm still waiting for details of this New Years Eve bash, I want to know if it'll be wothwhile coming a day early for it!
and i have posted the information that George and Peter Richardson from mercure have sent me in the announcements thread.

Alan Shore
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Oh ok, you only just did it a couple of hours ago.

Hmm... I'll see.

skip to my lou
08-12-2004, 11:56 PM
I feel like playing chess all of a sudden, I think I might show up for the minor!

Alan Shore
09-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I feel like playing chess all of a sudden, I think I might show up for the minor!

The more BB'ers the better, we can all get together for a real-life discussion. Will we have to avoid seating Matt and Bill together to avoid a fistfight though? ;)

Lucena
09-12-2004, 12:17 AM
The more BB'ers the better, we can all get together for a real-life discussion. Will we have to avoid seating Matt and Bill together to avoid a fistfight though? ;)

Believe it or not I'm told Matt and Bill are remarkably civil to each other away from this board.

arosar
09-12-2004, 08:06 AM
. . . Matt and Bill are remarkably civil to each other away from this board.

This is true.

AR

PHAT
09-12-2004, 08:59 AM
This is true.

AR

It is true - although I applied the blow torch at the AGM. But we are both quite civil in person.

Garvinator
09-12-2004, 09:14 AM
But we are both quite civil in person.
why cant you both be civil on here as well then :evil:

Trent Parker
09-12-2004, 09:22 AM
why cant you both be civil on here as well then :evil:

I guess people keep their opinions to themselves in person whereas their opinions here are divulged.

Alan Shore
12-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Regrettably, it's looking rather unlikely I will be able to attend now, due to certain 'family circumstances' :(

Those that do attend from this BB I wish you the best of luck and wish I could be there..

Paul S
12-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Believe it or not I'm told Matt and Bill are remarkably civil to each other away from this board.

That certainly used to be true until a few months ago.

However, I don't think this is the case any longer (although they rarely get to meet each other in person anyway). Indeed, at times during the NSWCA AGM they showed a bit of antagonism and irritation towards each other.

Perhaps Bill and/or Matt may wish to comment?

Garvinator
12-12-2004, 09:23 PM
do you really want that Paul :uhoh:

Trent Parker
12-12-2004, 10:01 PM
hey ggray what is the road condition going into buller?

Garvinator
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
hey ggray what is the road condition going into buller?
the road itself is very good, especially when the climb starts up to the top of the mountain where the hotels, chalet are etc. But there are steep drop offs on one side or the other of the roads as you climb/descend.

I would strongly recommend taking your first trip up and down the mountain road very carefully, especially if you are doing it at night. If you are doing it at night, dont think the animal crossing signs are just for show. Animals are quite often on the road and care should be taken on the way up each time.

PHAT
12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Indeed, at times during the NSWCA AGM they showed a bit of antagonism and irritation towards each other.

I am cool :cool: I trust Bill is too. Hey, it was the AGM with a little bit of umph. No big deal.

Alan Shore
12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I am cool :cool: I trust Bill is too. Hey, it was the AGM with a little bit of umph. No big deal.

Very mature attitude. Hopefully Bill can respond in kind, contrary to what's been said in the Coffee Lounge :confused: