PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Oceania Zonal in Auckland

heligan
29-04-2016, 11:52 AM
January 14th-20th 2017 - Oceania Zonal, Auckland.
The prestigious FIDE World Championship qualifying competitions, open to all players from Oceania Federations. Venue: Waipuna Conference Centre, Mount Wellington, Auckland: book at special rates using the code OCEA0117; phone 0800 924 786 or email res@waipunahotel.co.nz. Hosted by the New Zealand Chess Federation. Enquiries to Chief Organiser Paul Spiller on spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz. This event will be a Poison Pawn Grand Prix event.
Those entering from outside New Zealand can pay at http://www.chessaustralia.com.au/?p=catalog&g=events&site=chess in Australian dollars, by Paypal or credit card.

Check the NZCF Calendar page for further information and entry form download:
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html

RiverHollow
07-09-2016, 12:37 AM
I read that QC passed a requirement for winners of direct titles have to first get their rating within 200 points of that title's level. When does this come into effect. Would the new changes apply to this tournament in terms of direct titles award (CM, FM, IM)?

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2016, 03:12 AM
I read that QC passed a requirement for winners of direct titles have to first get their rating within 200 points of that title's level. When does this come into effect. Would the new changes apply to this tournament in terms of direct titles award (CM, FM, IM)?

It still has to be ratified by the GA, which might overturn it in the case of CM/WCM. If it is ratified I can't see anything saying the effect is delayed, but I'll check that at the next session if I get a chance.

Kevin Bonham
07-09-2016, 11:15 PM
The new regulations will come into effect only from 1 July 2017. So titles at the Zonal will not be affected whatever decision the GA makes. So the organisers can use the last chance for an unrestricted CM title factor as a selling point.

Tony Dowden
11-09-2016, 09:07 AM
It still has to be ratified by the GA, which might overturn it in the case of CM/WCM. If it is ratified I can't see anything saying the effect is delayed, but I'll check that at the next session if I get a chance.
It would actually be a reasonable rule though.

RiverHollow
13-09-2016, 05:28 AM

What do you mean by overturn in terms of CM/WCM. So it means the 200 points under rule won't apply to CM/WCM? But still apply to FM/IM?

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2016, 05:04 PM
What do you mean by overturn in terms of CM/WCM. So it means the 200 points under rule won't apply to CM/WCM? But still apply to FM/IM?

That is possible. The Development Commission head is objecting to applying it to CM/WCM. We won't know the answer for a few months at least as the final decision has been referred to Presidential Board. But in any case the Auckland Zonal is not affected.

junior
11-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Hi Kevin I'm a junior and need to show my dad where the fide rules say that 4.5/9 in this particular zonal will get you the CM title could you send me an email at sicky219@gmail.com ?
could you link something to my email or something

Thanks

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Hi Kevin I'm a junior and need to show my dad where the fide rules say that 4.5/9 in this particular zonal will get you the CM title could you send me an email at sicky219@gmail.com ?

Thanks

Email sent.

MichaelBaron
11-12-2016, 07:33 PM

Thanks

Lol - Great way of using chess titles for ''crowdfunding'' :)

ER
11-12-2016, 09:46 PM

Thanks

Post of the year!!!

Kevin Bonham
11-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Lol - Great way of using chess titles for ''crowdfunding'' :)

Just don't tell the Qualification Commission that. It's partly the huge number of Oceania CM titles from last time that has driven them to try to bring in the restriction after this one.

Frank
12-12-2016, 06:40 AM
Post of the year!!!

Most admirable, looks things up!

junior
12-12-2016, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry but my dad know's hardly anything about chess and he wants me to play in a strong tournement . but he doesnt understand ratings and when i explained them to him he didnt quite get them , but the only thing he knows a bit about is chess titles he knows that once your in a tournement that allows you to get a master title is counted as a strong tournement or a tournement that has many titled players but i cant find the entries page so i cant prove to him that there are strong people playing in this tourney!

but anyway thanks kevin for the link you sent me !

RiverHollow
12-12-2016, 09:25 PM
I'm sorry but my dad know's hardly anything about chess and he wants me to play in a strong tournement . but he doesnt understand ratings and when i explained them to him he didnt quite get them , but the only thing he knows a bit about is chess titles he knows that once your in a tournement that allows you to get a master title is counted as a strong tournement or a tournement that has many titled players but i cant find the entries page so i cant prove to him that there are strong people playing in this tourney!

but anyway thanks kevin for the link you sent me !

Yea agreed, would look to see the entry list too

Adamski
12-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Yea agreed, would look to see the entry list too

A bit early yet but it should be visible for your Christmas present!

RiverHollow
12-12-2016, 11:38 PM
A bit early yet but it should be visible for your Christmas present!

haha odd reference to christmas presents...

but yea hope everyone is enjoying their holidays

Andrew Hardegen
13-12-2016, 12:38 AM
Merry Christmas everyone:

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalOpen/index.html

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalWomens/index.html

Adamski
13-12-2016, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the links, Andrew. :) Already strong fields.

lost
15-12-2016, 01:37 AM
The entry list can be found at the following links:

Open: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalOpen/index.html

Women: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalWomens/index.html

lost

ER
15-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Hi guys, I will be holidaying in NZ during the Zonal. What's the best way to get to the venue from Auckland?
Thanks in advance, cheers!

junior
15-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Hi guys, I will be holidaying in NZ during the Zonal. What's the best way to get to the venue from Auckland?
Thanks in advance, cheers!

Taxi is probably best and safest its around 13-15km (depends where in the CBD your staying) and its like maybe 20-30 dollars

ER
15-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Taxi is probably best and safest its around 13-15km (depends where in the CBD your staying) and its like maybe 20-30 dollars

Thank you very much for your response junior! I will be staying at the Kiwi International Hotel, 411 Queen Street, Auckland!

junior
15-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Thank you very much for your response junior! I will be staying at the Kiwi International Hotel, 411 Queen Street, Auckland!

you live around 10-15 minutes away (with good traffic)

ER
15-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Fantastic, thanks for the info junior. I wish you all good luck and I most probably will visit there more than once! :)

RiverHollow
20-12-2016, 04:46 PM
anyone got a place for one more at auckland, whats a cheap hotel there?

ER
20-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Sorry RiverHollow, I won't be staying at Kiwi International by myself, so I can't help!

Andrew Hardegen
21-12-2016, 12:32 AM
I have a question about the requirements for earning CM/FM direct titles at this Zonal. The Table for Direct Titles in the FIDE Handbook states that the requirement for the FM title is a score of 65% in a minimum of 9 games. For CM, the required score is 50% in a minimum of 9 games. The tournament is 9 rounds. If a player receives a bye or wins a point by forfeit, then they cannot play 9 games. Would this mean that a score of 6/9 (4.5/9) would not be sufficient to earn the FM (CM) title?

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2016, 07:53 AM
I have a question about the requirements for earning CM/FM direct titles at this Zonal. The Table for Direct Titles in the FIDE Handbook states that the requirement for the FM title is a score of 65% in a minimum of 9 games. For CM, the required score is 50% in a minimum of 9 games. The tournament is 9 rounds. If a player receives a bye or wins a point by forfeit, then they cannot play 9 games. Would this mean that a score of 6/9 (4.5/9) would not be sufficient to earn the FM (CM) title?

That is correct. In the last Oceania Zonal a player who was on 3.5/8 won his last round game by forfeit reaching 4.5/9. He was not eligible for the CM title. On the other hand if a player scored 4.5 over the board in 8 games and won a game on forfeit, I would expect that to be accepted.

junior
21-12-2016, 03:45 PM
That is correct. In the last Oceania Zonal a player who was on 3.5/8 won his last round game by forfeit reaching 4.5/9. He was not eligible for the CM title. On the other hand if a player scored 4.5 over the board in 8 games and won a game on forfeit, I would expect that to be accepted.

I believe that person who got 3.5/8 should have got the CM title it doesnt sound fair , not getting a chance to get the CM title because an oppenent as forfeited . i think that its not fair also for someone who is getting a bye in the first round (if theres odd numbers ) who ends up getting 4.5/9 or 6/9 to not get the title.

do you think fide would reconsider that rule?

Kevin Bonham
21-12-2016, 05:02 PM
do you think fide would reconsider that rule?

No, I don't think they will. The Qualifications Commission thinks far too many people are getting CM titles from Oceania Zonals as it is! After all, this is a title that if you got it by rating you would need to get a rating of 2200, yet we have players around 1700-2000 rating getting it in Zonals.

MichaelBaron
21-12-2016, 06:49 PM
No, I don't think they will. The Qualifications Commission thinks far too many people are getting CM titles from Oceania Zonals as it is! After all, this is a title that if you got it by rating you would need to get a rating of 2200, yet we have players around 1700-2000 rating getting it in Zonals.

At least we are no longer getting 2000-rated FMs :)

junior
21-12-2016, 08:09 PM

ok its just i felt unfortunate for that guy he scores so well and so close but doesnt recieve it due to something that isnt his fault at all ! poor guy!

Bulldozer
22-12-2016, 11:25 AM
There is no requirement for the number of "real" games for direct titles. The word "forfeit" appears in 1.4 only, which is for GM, IM, WGM, WIM norms.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2016, 07:35 PM
There is no requirement for the number of "real" games for direct titles. The word "forfeit" appears in 1.4 only, which is for GM, IM, WGM, WIM norms.

It is not clearly spelled out in the Handbook. The table for direct titles does however use the words "min 9 games" rather than "min 9 rounds". That the games have to be over the board is certainly how they apply it, and I queried it in the specific case of the player who missed the CM title after winning on forfeit in the final round last time.

Bulldozer
22-12-2016, 10:27 PM
It is not clearly spelled out in the Handbook. The table for direct titles does however use the words "min 9 games" rather than "min 9 rounds".
Interesting point (that a forfeited game is not a game), which seems to be confirmed by

1.41c For a 9 round tournament, if a player has just 8 games because of a forfeit or Bye [...]

However, the Handbook is ambiguous about the term "game". Here, a forfeited game is still a game:
1.42d Games which are decided by forfeit, adjudication or any means other than over the board play.
Other games once started, which are forfeited for whatever reason [...]

So, I wouldn't rely on the meaning of the term "game".

That the games have to be over the board is certainly how they apply it, and I queried it in the specific case of the player who missed the CM title after winning on forfeit in the final round last time.
I believe they shouldn't rule this way until they fix the Handbook.

Kevin Bonham
22-12-2016, 10:51 PM
I believe they shouldn't rule this way until they fix the Handbook.

Unfortunately the Handbook is awash with sloppy drafting. The clause 1.42d which you quote is another example of bad drafting, but for a different reason:

1.42d
Games which are decided by forfeit, adjudication or any means other than over the board play. Other games once started, which are forfeited for whatever reason, shall however be included. In the instance of a last round game where the opponent forfeits, the norm shall still count if the player must play in order to have the required number of games, but can afford to lose.

The first sentence says that a forfeited game is excluded, then the second sentence says that a forfeited game is included if the game has started. Really what they are getting at there is that a game won on forfeit because one player doesn't show up doesn't count for a norm, but a game where one player is defaulted mid-game (eg for a mobile phone violation or bad behaviour) does count. They apply the same for direct titles but don't do a good job of spelling it out.

I'd love to see the FIDE Handbook cleaned up to clarify all such problems but it would probably take them 50 years to do it.

RiverHollow
03-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Just a quick question, I know it's pretty early to ask, but will the 2019 zonal be in Sydney?

Brian_Jones
03-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Just a quick question, I know it's pretty early to ask, but will the 2019 zonal be in Sydney?

The 2019 Zonal could be in Australia, Fiji or Guam. ;)

Qbert
14-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Starts today at 2pm NZ time. Live boards and vega links available at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/calendar.html.

Adamski
14-01-2017, 10:25 AM
I will be following the Zonal with great interest as a number of my friends are playing.

Keong Ang
14-01-2017, 11:25 AM
No live transmissions.
All liveboard power supply units have overheated.
I hope they have not burnt out.

You can blame the players for wanting to turn the air conditioning temperature higher.
The smell of hot electrical equipment is awful!!

Adamski
14-01-2017, 02:57 PM
No live transmissions.
All liveboard power supply units have overheated.
I hope they have not burnt out.

You can blame the players for wanting to turn the air conditioning temperature higher.
The smell of hot electrical equipment is awful!!Very sad. Hope it is able to be fixed before too long.

Adamski
14-01-2017, 09:19 PM
The results of Round 1 are up from Vega on NZ Chess site. For Open: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalOpen/index.html
For Women's Zonal: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalWomens/ . Over 100 players in open Zonal.

GinoTHEstud
15-01-2017, 12:27 AM
Please get the live boards working.

Ian Rout
15-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Over 100 players in open Zonal.I suppose the Oceania people and the organisers are grateful for all the entry fees but I can't help feeling that it's getting a bit out of hand. Is it perhaps time to be introducing some sort of qualification process which doesn't exclude anyone from having a go but doesn't just allow anyone to buy their way straight into what is, after all, a direct qualifier for the World Cup.

Or is the attitude that the winner will be eliminated in the first round of the World Cup so it's all a bit of fun, or at most just another tournament?

MichaelBaron
15-01-2017, 11:09 AM
I suppose the Oceania people and the organisers are grateful for all the entry fees but I can't help feeling that it's getting a bit out of hand. Is it perhaps time to be introducing some sort of qualification process which doesn't exclude anyone from having a go but doesn't just allow anyone to buy their way straight into what is, after all, a direct qualifier for the World Cup.

Or is the attitude that the winner will be eliminated in the first round of the World Cup so it's all a bit of fun, or at most just another tournament?

Absolutely agreed - it is an open tournament like any other. Would be great to have a rating floor of at least 2100 just like at national champs - and ''random soft titles'' - is yet another dimension of having such a large field!

Bulldozer
15-01-2017, 01:04 PM
I suppose the Oceania people and the organisers are grateful for all the entry fees but I can't help feeling that it's getting a bit out of hand. Is it perhaps time to be introducing some sort of qualification process which doesn't exclude anyone from having a go but doesn't just allow anyone to buy their way straight into what is, after all, a direct qualifier for the World Cup.
The World Cup is a joke itself, so don't take the Zonals too seriously.

Exactly.

Adamski
15-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Round 2 results are up on NZ Chess website. Lots on 2/2.

Ian Rout
15-01-2017, 04:28 PM
The World Cup is a joke itself, so don't take the Zonals too seriously.That's part of the answer. It's certainly clear that the Zonal isn't being taken too seriously by players or administrators as a qualifier for the World Cup.

I don't see "soft titles" as having to be an issue as FIDE can legislate around it, and have progressively done so. The bigger risk is that if FIDE conclude that giving Oceania a guaranteed place isn't serving the aim of developing high-level chess in the region they may revisit the issue.

Adamski
15-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Good result for Alana with win over Helen. Not long ago they were room mates overseas.

MichaelBaron
15-01-2017, 10:52 PM
Good result for Alana with win over Helen. Not long ago they were room mates overseas.

Yess!!! Alana for WIM!!!

Alana
16-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Yess!!! Alana for WIM!!!

Trying!

Keong Ang
16-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Please get the live boards working.
It is very frustrating that all liveboards that were working (16 liveboards, 12 Open and 4 Womens) just before the opening ceremony have now stopped working and are not even detectable.
We're going to have the last attempt to get them working after round4 games are over. If they cannot be made to work by tonight, more than half the event would be over and not worth further attempts. Tonights the point where I'm making the decision to stop wasting more effort and write-off live broadcasting in this event.

ER
16-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Trying!

and I was there to watch the start of it (complete with that typical Lani veni-vidi-vici smile!) :) :clap:

Capablanca-Fan
16-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Are the games available? The PGN files didn't have any moves on them.

Andrew Hardegen
16-01-2017, 11:12 AM
It is very frustrating that all liveboards that were working (16 liveboards, 12 Open and 4 Womens) just before the opening ceremony have now stopped working and are not even detectable.
We're going to have the last attempt to get them working after round4 games are over. If they cannot be made to work by tonight, more than half the event would be over and not worth further attempts. Tonights the point where I'm making the decision to stop wasting more effort and write-off live broadcasting in this event.

Very unfortunate about the lack of liveboards. When I was in the playing area just prior to the Players' Meeting on Saturday, it was already very warm. I'd be surprised if many of the players thought otherwise.

Will there be any PGNs?

Andrew Hardegen
16-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Only the winner of the Zonal qualifies for the World Cup, and invariably, one of the strongest players will win. Why not let everyone else participate as well? Playing alongside leading players is part of the attraction. Many of the players rated under 2000 who are playing in this particular Oceania Zonal might not see the same value in travelling to play in preliminary qualifying tournaments.

In addition, FIDE will soon be tightening the rules in regard to direct titles. This may be a contributor towards the higher-than-usual number of entries.

Adamski
16-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Best wishes with this, Keong. As you say extremely frustrating for you.

MichaelBaron
16-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Only the winner of the Zonal qualifies for the World Cup, and invariably, one of the strongest players will win. Why not let everyone else participate as well? Playing alongside leading players is part of the attraction. Many of the players rated under 2000 who are playing in this particular Oceania Zonal might not see the same value in travelling to play in preliminary qualifying tournaments.

In addition, FIDE will soon be tightening the rules in regard to direct titles. This may be a contributor towards the higher-than-usual number of entries.
Why not?

1) Soft titles for now ...including titles for those who are ....err...lets just say are no experts and it devalues the titles. A chess student of mine played a certain Australian WIM (twice)normally WIM are 2100-2200. This one is 1600-1700!
2) Randomness in final results - the bigger the swiss is - the more final standings could be affected by the lack of draw.
3) Letting players directly into the world cup is also part of the attraction potentially and I would not be surprised if FIDE starts doing it at some point just to earn more $$$ - but there's got to be some kind of standard!

Kevin Bonham
16-01-2017, 04:07 PM
OMG and FM is 6/9 again? sigh sigh sigh...

Yes. Last zonal there was one case of a sub-2000 player who was a win away from an FM title without playing anyone of FM strength, but he didn't actually win in the final round. Under the future regulations (should the PB actually ever get around to meeting and approving them) such a player would only be an FM-elect until he got his rating to 2100, which is still quite soft but stops some of the more ridiculous titles.

Anyway, Timergazi has taken a one-point lead in the Women's so is going well for a WIM title.

There are 15 non-FMs on 3/4 or better in the Open so I think we could see quite a few new FMs. It's a large field but it isn't a very strong one at the top.

Keong Ang
16-01-2017, 08:57 PM
There should be live games from round 5.
Currently top 4 boards of both Open and Womens tournaments would be broadcast.

I'm planning to get another 8 boards, totaling up to 12 top boards for the Open broadcasting before games start tomorrow. Just need to purchase a USB to Serial converter in time.
We've got 1 that gets the present 8 boards connected, need another for remaining 8 boards. Unfortunately the NZCF laptop's serial port seems to have been damaged, so we cannot use the usual route to broadcast games. There were also a couple of faulty connectors and cables that caused all the problems. Thankfully the PSUs overheat failsafe seems to have worked and therefore are still functional.

A big thank you to Barry Martin-Buss (ChessChat handle: Mr Buss) for his massive contribution of effort, equipment and expertise in helping isolate all the faults. Amazingly done all this just so he can watch the live games! :clap::clap::clap:
Without his very much appreciated help, I'd probably still be there at the moment and would probably have just given up.

MichaelBaron
16-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Yes. Last zonal there was one case of a sub-2000 player who was a win away from an FM title without playing anyone of FM strength, but he didn't actually win in the final round. Under the future regulations (should the PB actually ever get around to meeting and approving them) such a player would only be an FM-elect until he got his rating to 2100, which is still quite soft but stops some of the more ridiculous titles.

Anyway, Timergazi has taken a one-point lead in the Women's so is going well for a WIM title.

There are 15 non-FMs on 3/4 or better in the Open so I think we could see quite a few new FMs. It's a large field but it isn't a very strong one at the top.

Another point to consider...as Zonal is an event that is run by the Oceania Chess Association...I trust that it is not just the organizers decision to run the event in the current format (with all players being allowed to enter) but it has also been endorsed by ACF, New Zealand Federation etc - otherwise it would not be possible.

Keong Ang
17-01-2017, 05:02 AM
Another point to consider...as Zonal is an event that is run by the Oceania Chess Association...I trust that it is not just the organisers decision to run the event in the current format (with all players being allowed to enter) but it has also been endorsed by ACF, New Zealand Federation etc - otherwise it would not be possible.
Zonal Championships are the responsibility of the Zone president who although is the organiser of the current Zonal, chooses to operate through the Oceania Chess Confederation.

Increased participation in chess events is a goal for Oceania Zone and it is pleasing to have a record turnout for the Zonal that exceeded all expectations.

Having large Open Swiss format is ideal to determine the champion who will qualify for entry into the next stage of the FIDE World Championship cycle. Preferably this will be with an outright top score. If tied between 2 players then the tie would be broken by playoffs, if tied between more than 2 players, then tiebreak calculations would be used and the champion automatically determined by Vega. There would be no playoff if more than 2 players are tied. Current standings according to tiebreak criteria are published and updated at the end of every round.
Prizemoney would be divided equally between tied players so the only potential situation where tiebreaks are needed is for overall 1st place and who gets the direct IM/WIM titles (up to 3 who reached 1st place if tied).

Hopefully many players will obtain their FM/WFM (6 points up) and CM/WCM titles (4.5 to 5.5 points). It is pleasing to be able to reward players whose participation makes chess events viable.

Adamski
17-01-2017, 05:47 AM
There should be live games from round 5.
Currently top 4 boards of both Open and Womens tournaments would be broadcast.

I'm planning to get another 8 boards, totaling up to 12 top boards for the Open broadcasting before games start tomorrow. Just need to purchase a USB to Serial converter in time.
We've got 1 that gets the present 8 boards connected, need another for remaining 8 boards. Unfortunately the NZCF laptop's serial port seems to have been damaged, so we cannot use the usual route to broadcast games. There were also a couple of faulty connectors and cables that caused all the problems. Thankfully the PSUs overheat failsafe seems to have worked and therefore are still functional.

A big thank you to Barry Martin-Buss (ChessChat handle: Mr Buss) for his massive contribution of effort, equipment and expertise in helping isolate all the faults. Amazingly done all this just so he can watch the live games! :clap::clap::clap:
Without his very much appreciated help, I'd probably still be there at the moment and would probably have just given up.This is great news. I add my thanks to Barry and Keong for their outstanding efforts.

MichaelBaron
17-01-2017, 08:44 AM
This is great news. I add my thanks to Barry and Keong for their outstanding efforts.

Lol, do they get another thank you at the end of the tournament for running it or can we assume that they have been thanked already in the post 69 of the thread?

Keong Ang
17-01-2017, 08:56 AM
All 16 boards live now. Top 12 Open and top 4 Womens.
Hope you all enjoy it.

Since it took so much effort to make them live, I'm absolutely ruthless in making sure absolutely no liquids are on the liveboard tables. I don't care if enforcement causes offense (or major distraction that negatively affects games) but these accursed liveboards have exhausted all patience and tolerance.

Desmond
17-01-2017, 10:24 AM
All 16 boards live now. Top 12 Open and top 4 Womens.
Hope you all enjoy it.Yes, thank you.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Great to have the boards working. Well done all.

I assume the feed stopped on move 16 of Hague - Kris Chan as there is no reason for black to resign there.

Frank
17-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Current standings according to tiebreak criteria are published and updated at the end of every round.

A feature of good management.

Craig_Hall
17-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Great to have the boards working. Well done all.

I assume the feed stopped on move 16 of Hague - Kris Chan as there is no reason for black to resign there.

Must have done - the scoresheets go up to move 27.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Must have done - the scoresheets go up to move 27.

Full game is showing now.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Kathryn Hardegen has beaten Timergazi in 96 moves throwing the Women's Zonal wide open with 4 players (these two, Chibnall and Joy Shu Yan Qin) all on 4/5.

Craig_Hall
17-01-2017, 02:48 PM
There will be a Lightning on Thursday morning (19 January) for anyone interested - organiser and Chief Arbiter is myself. Details:

Venue: Horizon Lounge / Banquet Room 1 (same room as the Zonal)

Tournament Format: Unrated 9 Round Swiss paired with Vega. Published ratings will be used for pairing purposes and grade prizes (if applicable) in the following order: FIDE blitz; FIDE rapid; national rapid; national standard. Different format may be used if 16 or fewer entries received.

Time Control: Fischer time control of 3 mins + 2 secs/move increment

Entries: Please register with Craig Hall or by writing your name on the sign-up sheet on the Arbiter’s desk. Early registration is encouraged but players are welcome to enter on the day up until 8:30am.

Entry Fee: NZ$20 or AUS$20 – exact change is appreciated! GM/WGM/IM/WIM free – entry fee will be deducted from prizes won.

Timetable

Playing Hall opens - 8:00am
Entries/registrations close - 8:30am
Players’ Meeting 8:45am – 8:55am (approx.)
Round 1 - 9:00am

Players not present at the Players’ Meeting may not be paired in the first round. Pairings will be done and the next rounds started following the completion of the previous rounds. Prizegiving will follow the conclusion of the tournament.

Prizes
The prize fund will be entry fees less expenses. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 places – amounts will be announced during the tournament. Other prizes including grade prizes will be added if numbers allow.

Laws of Chess
Standard Laws of Chess will apply with the necessary modifications for blitz as outlined at Appendices A and B. Appendix B4 will apply. Additional regulations may be announced at the Players’ Meeting.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Timergazi back in the sole lead in the Women's Zonal as Hardegen and Chibnall have drawn.

Adamski
17-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Max leads the Open with 5/5. A chasing pack on 4.5.

Vlad
17-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Looks like some of the names are not specified correctly in the live transmission. The game where knight vs bishop is between Jason Hu and Anthony Ker.

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 07:09 PM
After round 6 the following have already reached the CM/WCM score (but are probably aiming for greater things!):

Open: Luis Chan (AUS), Albert Winkelman (AUS), Jack James (NZ)
Women's: Alana Chibnall (AUS), Kathryn Hardegen (AUS), Nicole Shu Yu Qin (NZ)

Thebes
17-01-2017, 07:52 PM
After round 6 the following have already reached the CM/WCM score (but are probably aiming for greater things!):

Sorry if this has been discussed but is the 1 FM title per zonal coming into effect now or next zonal?

Kevin Bonham
17-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed but is the 1 FM title per zonal coming into effect now or next zonal?

I have not heard anything about this for this Zonal or any other, but in any case changes to the regulations don't come into force for midyear and hence don't affect this Zonal. What I do know about is that for future Zonals the QC intends to put a limit on direct titles so that you only get them if you later reach, or have at some stage reached, the rating limit.

Thebes
17-01-2017, 10:01 PM

Albert is doing extremely well, here's a game I played with him less than two years ago when he was only 900! even then found a brilliant stalemate idea I completely miscalculated https://chess-db.com/public/game.jsp?id=3226859.3219941.61599488.28707

GinoTHEstud
18-01-2017, 02:15 AM
What is the requirement for the IM title in this current zonal?

Andrew Hardegen
18-01-2017, 04:26 AM
What is the requirement for the IM title in this current zonal?

1st or =1st.

Scott Crowley
18-01-2017, 06:30 AM
For the person I spoke to yesterday having trouble finding the links to the Zonal

Open : http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalOpen/

Womens : http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalWomens/

Hope this helps.

ER
18-01-2017, 07:41 AM
For the person I spoke to yesterday having trouble finding the links to the Zonal

Open : http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalOpen/

Womens : http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2017/wwwOceaniaZonalWomens/

Hope this helps.

Hi Scott, it wasn't me but thanks all the same. BTW I can't find the playing schedule; any info about the date and time of the last round? Thanks in advance!

Alana
18-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Hi Scott, it wasn't me but thanks all the same. BTW I can't find the playing schedule; any info about the date and time of the last round? Thanks in advance!

The last round is on Friday at 10:30am NZ time (8:30am for Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra).

Flyer is here http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/downloads/2017Zonal.pdf

ER
18-01-2017, 08:29 AM
The last round is on Friday at 10:30am NZ time (8:30am for Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra).

Flyer is here http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/downloads/2017Zonal.pdf

Thanks Lani, I am still in New Zealand. I might drop in the venue on Friday!

Keong Ang
18-01-2017, 08:42 AM
Looks like some of the names are not specified correctly in the live transmission. The game where knight vs bishop is between Jason Hu and Anthony Ker.

Thanks Vlad. Hope the amendments are correct.
I'll have to check against scoresheets when at the venue.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Posts moved

A fairly arbitrary selection of "soft titles" related posts have been moved to the existing soft titles thread:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?3707-soft-titles-(sf-Zonal-threads-bumped-with-new-posts)

Please continue discussion of "soft titles" there in general.

Craig_Hall
18-01-2017, 10:23 AM
There was a short delay caused by having the "water feature" (a leaky ceiling) repaired - the round is now underway.

Capablanca-Fan
18-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Timergazi back in the sole lead in the Women's Zonal as Hardegen and Chibnall have drawn.

Increased her lead with a clear-cut win over 12yo Nicole Shu Yu Qin, who is still performing much better than her rating. Chibnall had to take a repetition.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2017, 04:09 PM
After round 7 the following have already reached the CM/WCM score:

Open: Luis Chan (AUS), Albert Winkelman (AUS), Jack James (NZ), Kris Chan (AUS), Yita Choong (AUS - already qualified by rating), Regan Crowley (AUS), Charles Tsai (AUS), Donato Mallari (AUS - already qualified from previous Zonal), Leonard McLaren (NZ - already qualified by rating), Michael Kethro (AUS), Pasan Perera (AUS), Max Chew Lee (AUS), Kirill Polishchuk (NZ), Eliot Soo-Burrowes (AUS), Benjamin Lim (NZ). Total 15 of whom at least 3 were already qualified.

Women's: Alana Chibnall (AUS), Kathryn Hardegen (AUS), Nicole Shu Yu Qin (NZ), Joy Shu Yan Qin (NZ). Total 4.

Seven players are one point away from securing FM titles with two rounds to go in the Open. Two players are one point away from securing WFM titles. One player (Timergazi) is at most one point away from securing WIM in the Women's.

Adamski
18-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Max, Ari and Anton first equal in the Open. If it stays like that it could be an Australian tri-fecta. But Russell Dive and Anthony Ker from NZ are among the chasers. Gary Lane had an overdue win to now be only one point behind the leaders. Interesting end in prospect.

Craig_Hall
19-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Lightning was this morning and we had 21 entries. Congratulations to Shunkai Peng and Gene Hakauchi for placing equal first, to Kirill Polishchuk, John Duneas and Ross Lam for placing equal third, and to Tony Wang and Sravan Renjith for tying for the U1800 prize.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Layla Timergazi will win the Women's outright and is WIM-elect. I believe that makes her the first non-Australian winner of either Zonal.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Daniel Hanwen Gong (NZL) has beaten Wastney with black according to the live board and if so is the first FM-elect with 6/8.

Assuming the live board is correct then Daniel has a TPR of 2398 to date having drawn with FMs Hague, Kulashko and Smith and beaten FMs Croad and Wastney. Quite remarkable he has played five NZ FMs in a row. Clearly an FM-strength performance and nothing soft about this one.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 02:32 PM
The result in Zhi Lin Guo - Chibnall is showing as 1-0 on the liveboard after initially showing as a draw, and Keong is making enigmatic comments in the shoutbox about a coffee cup near the live boards. He did make a joke post in another thread recently which a number of people took seriously so I am not quite sure what to make of this.

The game from the live board is as follows:

1.e4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Qxd4 Nc6 4.Qe3 Nf6 5.Nc3 Bb4 6.Bd2 0-0 7.0-0-0 Re8 8.Qg3 d6 9.f3 Rb8 10.Nge2 b5 11.h4 Ne5 12.h5 Bxc3 13.Nxc3 b4 14.Nd5 Nxd5 15.exd5 Bf5 16.Bh6 g6 17.hxg6 fxg6 18.Qh4 Qxh4 19.Rxh4 a5 20.Bc4 Nxc4 ?-?

Craig_Hall
19-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Daniel Hanwen Gong (NZL) has beaten Wastney with black according to the live board and if so is the first FM-elect with 6/8.

Assuming the live board is correct then Daniel has a TPR of 2398 to date having drawn with FMs Hague, Kulashko and Smith and beaten FMs Croad and Wastney. Quite remarkable he has played five NZ FMs in a row. Clearly an FM-strength performance and nothing soft about this one.

Yes, the live board is correct - good result so far for Daniel, and still another round!

Layla Timergazi will win the Women's outright and is WIM-elect. I believe that makes her the first non-Australian winner of either Zonal.

Correct - Ortvin Sarapu managed to win the Asian Zonal, but that's about it for NZ and Zonals.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 02:37 PM
If the live board is correct and there are no cups of coffee within 100 km then Yita Choong has beaten Garbett and will also be FM-elect. Yita has "only" performed at 2274 so far this tournament but was nearly an FM by rating anyway.

Thebes
19-01-2017, 02:53 PM
If the live board is correct and there are no cups of coffee within 100 km then Yita Choong has beaten Garbett and will also be FM-elect. Yita has "only" performed at 2274 so far this tournament but was nearly an FM by rating anyway.

Luis chan won and got FM!

Craig_Hall
19-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Both of those results are correct - congratulations again!

jammo
19-01-2017, 03:12 PM
He did make a joke post in another thread recently which a number of people took seriously ........

Surely not? An Arbiter with a sense of humour! I don't believe it.

Bill Gletsos
19-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Alanna has mentioned on Facebook that she now has 5.5/8

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 04:04 PM
Luis chan won and got FM!

Yep, that's number three. Luis has performed at 2306 and has 2/3 against FMs but also a loss to Maligin (1906) so overall an FM-strength performance.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 04:06 PM

And the live board is showing 1/2-1/2 again, so it was just a joke by Keong.

Craig_Hall
19-01-2017, 04:08 PM

Yes, she has.

Round 8 results and Round 9 pairings are up.

Alana
19-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Yes, she has.

Round 8 results and Round 9 pairings are up.

No I am pretty sure Alanna has 4.5/8, but ALANA has 5.5/8. Bill has known me for so long and still gets the spelling of my name wrong!

Alana
19-01-2017, 04:23 PM
This was the photo from before the round that started Keong off by the way :)

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 04:44 PM
After this round I have the following (unofficially):

FM titles secured (3) Yita Choong, Daniel Gong, Luis Chan
Seven players need a draw for FM tomorrow, two of whom are playing each other, so there will be at least one more FM.
Six players need a win for FM tomorrow, including two pairs that are playing each other.
I have about 30 CM titles secured, I am not going to list them.

Zelesco, Kulashko, Choong, Daniel Gong and Luis Chan can each become IMs if they win, provided all the following are true:

* Zelesco defeats Smirnov with Black
* Illingworth does not beat Choong
* Dale does not beat Kulashko
* There are not more than three players tied for first; if there are more than three it is only the first three on tiebreak [EDIT: Extremely difficult for Kulashko and Gong to become IMs because of the tiebreaks.]

Note that there are IM norms on offer for second/third after tiebreak even if one is not an equal winner.

WIM titles secure: Timergazi, and no one else can get WIM. Second and third after tiebreak will get WIM norms so Chibnall and Hardegen will certainly get the norms if they each win.
Hardegen and Chibnall need draws for WFM. Hardegen is playing Nicole Shu Yu Qin who needs a win for WFM so there will be one and only one WFM from that board.
Three more players need wins for WFM, two of whom are playing each other. So there will be between one and four WFMs.
Six WCMs have been secured so far

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Process For Claiming Oceania Zonal Titles For Players Registered To Australia

This process applies to Zonal title winners who are registered to federation AUS. If you are registered to another federation this does not apply to you and you will need to contact your own federation to find out what their process is.

1. IM/WIM, FM/WFM Titles And Norms

If you have won one of these titles or norms you do not have to do anything as the ACF will pay for the title and register your norm, but please email your postal address to me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au as this may assist in eventually getting you your certificate.

2. CM/WCM Titles

If you have won one of these titles (available for a score of 4.5/9 or above, counting points over the board and not any unplayed games) you will need to contact me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au stating that you wish to accept the title. In so doing, please also provide your postal address. If you expect it to change in the next year and have an alternative postal address, please advise the latter.

Upon confirmation of the titles by FIDE (in the past this has taken from a few weeks to a month), I will email you with details of how to pay, expected to be by bank transfer to the ACF's account. You will then have about one week to pay the amount stated (will be about $75, depending on exchange rates). The amount will most likely be based on the Euro to AUD conversion at the time plus a small amount to cover a share of the ACF’s currency conversion costs. If you do not claim or pay by that time you can still claim and pay later but the cost may increase.

If you know you will not be accepting the CM/WCM title at this time please let me know; this does not affect your ability to accept it later.

Certificates

Please be aware that the process for getting certificates from FIDE to players is slow and not entirely reliable. Please only contact me after one full year if you sent me your address but have still not received your certificate.

Congratulations to all title winners.

Kevin Bonham
ACF FIDE Admin Officer

CivicChessMan
19-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Daniel Gong is in great form. In the New Zealand Open he scored 6.5/9 for third equal.

Craig_Hall
19-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Surely not? An Arbiter with a sense of humour! I don't believe it.

That's just a vicious rumour...

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 07:14 PM
As a PS to #110 please not that sending me a PM on Chesschat is not a valid method of claiming a 2017 Zonal title (it is fine for follow-up on previous missing certificates and other such things though). It is critical that I have an email, not a PM, of every claim.

Kevin Bonham
19-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Early start tomorrow I believe (10:30 = 8:30 AEDST) according to the entry form, playoff if needed 4:00 (=2:00 AEDST).

Excellent, I am going out at 3 pm our time so I can watch the fun!

Adamski
19-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Anton leads by half a point from Ari and Max and Gary jumped up to 4th equal.

MichaelBaron
19-01-2017, 11:10 PM
After this round I have the following (unofficially):

FM titles secured (3) Yita Choong, Daniel Gong, Luis Chan
Seven players need a draw for FM tomorrow, two of whom are playing each other, so there will be at least one more FM.
Six players need a win for FM tomorrow, including two pairs that are playing each other.
I have about 30 CM titles secured, I am not going to list them.

Zelesco, Kulashko, Choong, Daniel Gong and Luis Chan can each become IMs if they win, provided all the following are true:

* Zelesco defeats Smirnov with Black
* Illingworth does not beat Choong
* Dale does not beat Kulashko
* There are not more than three players tied for first; if there are more than three it is only the first three on tiebreak

Note that there are IM norms on offer for second/third after tiebreak even if one is not an equal winner.

WIM titles secure: Timergazi, and no one else can get WIM. Second and third after tiebreak will get WIM norms so Chibnall and Hardegen will certainly get the norms if they each win.
Hardegen and Chibnall need draws for WFM. Hardegen is playing Nicole Shu Yu Qin who needs a win for WFM so there will be one and only one WFM from that board.
Three more players need wins for WFM, two of whom are playing each other. So there will be between one and four WFMs.
Six WCMs have been secured so far

Imagine Tony Davis wins his game (and he is quite capable of beating 2100 on his day) - we will have a new 50 yo FM rated 1850....anyway lets wait for final results.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 12:18 AM
Imagine Tony Davis wins his game (and he is quite capable of beating 2100 on his day) - we will have a new 50 yo FM rated 1850....anyway lets wait for final results.

Tony is not 50 yet, he is still a young chap like me. :lol:

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Between one and, er, eleven new FMs coming up in the Open on top of the three we got in round eight.

Anyone want to pick a number between one and eleven? :lol: I'll go seven for a total of ten.

As for IMs I have been looking at the tiebreaks and suspect it's just about mathematically impossible for Gong and incredibly difficult for Kulashko. Having only four wins makes it very hard for them to do it even if they win and the top three board results go their way. Probably the latter won't happen anyway, eg even a draw for Smirnov on top board means no new IMs.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 07:45 AM
In a result that surprised nobody (it was my pick for the fastest draw), Charles Tsai and Leonard McLaren have agreed a draw, earning both players the FM title. Hague - Soo-Burrowes has also ended in a draw, earning Eliot the FM title.

Congratulations to the new FMs!

Capablanca-Fan
20-01-2017, 07:48 AM
In a result that surprised nobody (it was my pick for the fastest draw), Charles Tsai and Leonard McLaren have agreed a draw, earning both players the FM title. Hague - Soo-Burrowes has also ended in a draw, earning Eliot the FM title.

Congratulations to the new FMs!

Don't blame them at all—they did the right thing. Glad that there are no minimum-moves rules here.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Tsai - McLaren according to the live board

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.Qc2 Nc6 FM-FM

TPRs Tsai 2265, McLaren 2134. McLaren has however been knocking on the door of FM by rating since forever.

As noted above Hague and Soo-Burrowes drew after 11 moves which makes Soo-Burrowes FM-elect after a superb tournament (he also drew with Lane and Ang and beat Choong for a TPR of 2324). There was a bit of an issue earlier where the header bar showed an 11 move draw but the board showed an improbable 43 moves but this has been fixed.

Garrett
20-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Charles seemed a strong player when I played him in the Oz Open.

A tough positional battle until he sacrificed unsoundly.

Congrats Charles !

cheers Garrett.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 08:30 AM
A few more quick draws further down the field as follows:

William Zhang - Jack James
Alex Nagorski - Vishal Bhal
Manoj Kumar - Isaac Zhao
Tom Crossman - Vladislav Dragalchuk
Tim Rains - Stanley Yee

Manoj already has the CM title, but everyone else is now a CM-elect, subject to claiming the title and paying the title fee - details on the procedures for that are available in the tournament hall on the whiteboard (as outlined above for Australian players by Kevin Bonham), and will no doubt be advised here in due course for NZ players.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Alana Chibnall has just beaten Viv Smith - congratulations to Alana for her WFM title and WIM norm!

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Jasmine Zhang (NZ) wins securing WFM.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Smirnov - Zelesco. An amazing game but it appears that Anton should have won after Karl put his king on what seems to be the wrong square.

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 d6 8.c3 0-0 9.h3 Nb8 10.d4 Nbd7 11.Nbd2 Bb7 12.Bc2 Re8 13.a4 Bf8 14.Bd3 c6 15.Qc2 g6 16.b3 Rc8 17.Bb2 Nh5 18.Bf1 exd4 19.cxd4 d5 20.e5 b4 21.Qd1 c5 22.dxc5 Bxc5 23.a5 Nf4 24.Nh2 Qh4 25.Ng4 Qg3 [25...h5 26.Nf3 Qg3 27.Kh1 Bxf2 28.Nxf2 Qxf2 29.Bd4=] 26.Kh1 Bxf2 27.Ne4 dxe4 28.Qxd7 Bc6 29.Nf6+ Kg7 [29...Kf8 appears to just be a nest of draws] 30.Nxe8+ Kh6 31.Qxc8 e3 32.Qxc6 [32.Qg4 wins] 32...Bg1 33.Kxg1 Nxh3+ 34.Kh1 Nf2+ 35.Kg1 Ng4 36.Bxa6 Qf2+ 37.Kh1 Qh4+ 38.Kg1 Qf2+ 39.Kh1 Qh4+ 40.Kg1 Qf2+ ˝-˝

So that means no IM titles though those who are 2nd and 3rd after tiebreak can still get IM norms.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Max Chew Lee - Patrick Gong draw so that's FM title for Chew Lee. His TPR was only 2186 but his rating is over 2200 and he is still a junior so it was probably only a matter of time before he became FM anyway.

Alana
20-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Further down Zhi Lin Guo defeated Alanna Chew Lee and so has also gotten a WFM title :)

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Choong - Illingworth. Credit to Yita for giving Max a big scare the day after getting his FM title - however white did miss at least one win here if the moves are right. This means IM Anton Smirnov wins the Zonal.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 b6 3.f3 Nc6 4.e4 e5 5.Ne2 Nxd4 6.Nxd4 exd4 7.Qxd4 Bc5 8.Qd3 0-0 9.Bg5 h6 10.Bh4 g5 11.Bg3 Nh5 12.Nc3 d6 13.0-0-0 Be6 14.Nd5 c6 15.Ne3 Nxg3 16.hxg3 Qf6 17.Be2 Rab8 18.Qd2 b5 19.cxb5 Rfc8 20.Kb1 a6 21.f4 gxf4 22.Nc2 axb5 23.Qxf4 Qg7 24.Qxh6 b4 25.Qxg7+ Kxg7 26.Nd4 Kf6 27.Rh6+ Ke5 28.Rh5+ Kxe4 29.Nc2 Bxa2+ 30.Ka1 f5 31.Bd3+ Ke5 32.Re1+ Kf6 33.Rxf5+ Kg7 34.Re7+ [34.Ref1 and black can resign] 34...Kg8 35.Kxa2 b3+ 36.Kb1 bxc2+ 37.Kxc2 Bd4 38.b3 Re8 39.Rc7 Rbc8 40.Rg5+ Kf8 41.Rh7 Re3 42.Rf5+ [42.Rg4 seems to win the exchange, example line 42...Ba1 43.Kd2 Rce8 44.Rf4+ Kg8 45.Rh1! and now 45...Rxd3+ is forced] 42...Kg8 43.Rg5+ Kf8 44.Rf5+ [44.Rg4 again] 44...Kg8 45.Rg5+ Kf8 ˝-˝

Hardegen wins so gets WFM + WIM norm in the Women's.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Kethro - Smith is a draw, securing FM for Michael.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 11:34 AM
All games in the Women's Zonal are now finished - results will be uploaded later, but in the meantime, titles achieved are:

Layla Timergazi - WIM title
Kathryn Hardegan & Alana Chibnall - WFM title + WIM norm
Zhi Lin Guo & Jasmine Zhang - WFM title
Licia Yao, Nicole Qin, Vyanla Punsala, Nadia Braganza, Eva Lourenco, Renae Ghadiali, Cassadra Lim, Alanna Chew Lee - WCM title

Congratulations all!

Kris Chan and Tony Davis have just drawn, leaving both just short of the FM title.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Kethro - Smith is a draw, securing FM for Michael.

Kethro's TPR was 2160. Ryan Louie has just drawn (probably should have won) so he is also FM-elect with a TPR of 2238.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Lane - Gong is a draw by repetition (the live board has missed the last few moves).

Garrett
20-01-2017, 12:27 PM
So Anton has won the open title ?

If so, congratulations Anton !!

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Yes he has and he qualifies for his first World Cup, to be held in Batumi, Georgia this September.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Two more FMs - Donato Mallari following his win over Paul Garbett, and Jason Hu with his win over Edward Rains.

Craig_Hall
20-01-2017, 12:46 PM

No tie-break, thank goodness...

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Two more FMs - Donato Mallari following his win over Paul Garbett, and Jason Hu with his win over Edward Rains.

That's eight today then I think, for a total of eleven. I was one short. TPRs 2193 and 2204 respectively.

Reminder for Australian title winners and claimants: see this post for info on what to do now:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16417-2017-Oceania-Zonal-in-Auckland&p=419767&viewfull=1#post419767

Desmond
20-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Yes he has and he qualifies for his first World Cup, to be held in Batumi, Georgia this September.

Excellent, congrats and good luck in the big stage

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Tracking for Australian CM/WCM Title Claimants

This post will be edited now and then to track which Australian CM and WCM title winners have accepted, declined or not yet replied to me re their titles, and once payments are open, which have paid. If you have emailed me but not been updated on this post within a few days please email k_bonham@tassie.net.au and/or send me a PM here.

The edit stamp at the bottom of the post shows when I last updated it.

Instructions on what to do to claim a title if you are from Australia are here:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16417-2017-Oceania-Zonal-in-Auckland&p=419767&viewfull=1#post419767

(Please go to that post even if you have won an FM or WFM title, which the ACF pays for.)

All titles have been confirmed as available.

Candidate Master (17)

Accepted and paid (14): Regan Crowley, Vishal Bhat, Oleg Korenevski, Vladislav Dragalchuk, Jared Louie, Tom Crossman, Isaac Zhao, William Maligin, Pasan Perera, Anthony Fikh, Aurel-John Buciu, Cameron Yung, Paul Russell, Gyula Plaganyi (address required)

Decline (3): Kris Chan, Bobby Yu, Albert Winkelman

Woman Candidate Master (3)

Accepted and paid (3): Alanna Chew Lee, Cassandra Lim, Licia Yao

Bill Gletsos
20-01-2017, 02:26 PM
All games in the Women's Zonal are now finished - results will be uploaded later, but in the meantime, titles achieved are:

Layla Timergazi - WIM title
Kathryn Hardegan & Alana Chibnall - WFM title + WIM norm
Zhi Lin Guo & Jasmine Zhang - WFM title
Licia Yao, Nicole Qin, Vyanla Punsala, Nadia Braganza, Eva Lourenco, Renae Ghadiali, Cassadra Lim, Alanna Chew Lee - WCM title

Congratulations all!

Kris Chan and Tony Davis have just drawn, leaving both just short of the FM title.You are missing a WCM title for Joy Qin who also scored 4.5.

ER
20-01-2017, 05:55 PM
I didn't play but I visited the venue a couple of times watched some games, took pictures mainly from the presentation and chatted with players, officials and spectators - mainly parents! It was a wonderful experience for all, professionally run, and thoroughly contested the tournament set it a comfortable venue surrounded by magnificent views was justifiably praised by the record 140 participants. A fully illustrated report will be found in the next ACF news bulletin!

pax
20-01-2017, 07:37 PM

A fine representative! The number of FM titles is a bit of a joke, could I suggest that the ACF and the Oceania zone lobby strongly for a return to the restriction on the number of titles available at the zonal?

AzureBlue
20-01-2017, 08:48 PM
FIDE Master titles were awarded to Yita Choong, Daniel Gong, Jason Hu, Ryan Louie, Luis Chan, Donato Mallari, Charles Tsai, Leonard McLaren, Michael Kethro, Max Chew Lee, and Eliot Soo-Burrowes and FIDE Woman Master titles awarded to Hardegen, Chibnall, Zhi Lin Guo and Jasmine Zhang.

Candidate Master titles were also earned by Albert Winkerman, Kris Chan, Pasan Perera, Leo Zhang, Allen Fan, Bruce Wheeler, Don Eade, David Notley, Jack James, Alex Huang, Bobby Yu, Tong Wang, Kirill Polishchuk, William Zhang, Regan Crowley, Gyula Plaganyi, William Maligin, Leighton Nicholls, Oleg Korenevski, Anthony Fikh, Oliver Picken, Jared Louie, Tom Crossman, Paul Russell, Aurel-John Buciu, Benjamin Lim, John Duneas, Isaac Zhao, Vishal Bhat, Richard Taylor, Stanley Yee, Vladislav Dragachuk, Timothy Rains, Cameron Yung and Alex Nagorski and Woman Candidate Master title earned by Nicole Qin, Vyanla Punsalan, Jy Qin, Nadia Braganza, Eva Lorenco, Ranae Ghadiali, Cassandra Lim and Alanna Chew Lee.

That's a huge amount of CMs... guess that's why they're called Candidate Masters, people who are not Masters yet but could become one someday! You've all got the potential :lol::clap:

Bill Gletsos
20-01-2017, 08:56 PM
A fine representative! The number of FM titles is a bit of a joke, could I suggest that the ACF and the Oceania zone lobby strongly for a return to the restriction on the number of titles available at the zonal?Actually to restrict the number of FM's and CM's all that has to happen is for the OCC to place a lower rating limit on the event of 2000 FIDE (with the exception that there is no rating limit applied to a countries nominated 1 or 2 representatives) rather than have it run as an open swiss.

MichaelBaron
20-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Actually to restrict the number of FM's and CM's all that has to happen is for the OCC to place a lower rating limit on the event of 2000 FIDE (with the exception that there is no rating limit applied to a countries nominated 1 or 2 representatives) rather than have it run as an open swiss.

So any chance Australian and NZ chess federations could have enforced that rule (since they are members of OCC)

Vlad
20-01-2017, 10:16 PM
So any chance Australian and NZ chess federations could have enforced that rule (since they are members of OCC)

Well, if somebody would be happy to sponsor it... Michael, I have heard you are a successful businessman who cares a lot about the chess standards...

MichaelBaron
20-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Well, if somebody would be happy to sponsor it... Michael, I have heard you are a successful businessman who cares a lot about the chess standards...

The rumors of my success have been exaggerated...well Baron Consulting does support certain charities and did sponsor a couple of ''community events'' ..but giving money to chess players...no thank you. Some of them already live off my taxes :) and are therefore indirectly sponsored by me :)

Bill Gletsos
20-01-2017, 10:46 PM
So any chance Australian and NZ chess federations could have enforced that rule (since they are members of OCC)Actually I believe the responsibility lies not with a body (OCC) but with the Zone President.

My understanding is that the Oceania Zone Presidents have favoured the Open Swiss.
One reason no doubt is so as to maximise entry fees to fund the zonals.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 10:51 PM

Australia is a member of the Oceania Zone of FIDE. We are still not yet a member of the OCC (though they are working on the issues that have caused us not to join yet.)

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Ryan Louie drew with Dive to get an FM title but could have won the game.

1b6/1P1k4/3p4/3K3p/2P5/6P1/8/8 b - - 0 53

Black to play and win.

Frank
20-01-2017, 11:11 PM
The processing of all these new titles will surely constitute a labour of Hercules.

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2017, 11:16 PM
The processing of all these new titles will surely constitute a labour of Hercules.

The Qualification Commission were ripping their hair out after the 2015 lot; I think there are even more this time!

Capablanca-Fan
21-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Ryan Louie drew with Dive to get an FM title but could have won the game.

1b6/1P1k4/3p4/3K3p/2P5/6P1/8/8 b - - 0 53

Black to play and win.
I presume 53... Ba7. So if White tries to exchange the Q-side Ps as in the game, he must surrender his passed P first, with 54.b8=Q Bxb8, which also attacks the Pg3 indirectly. Then it's like a study (I can't remember the composer) 55. c5 dxc5 56. Kxc5 Bxg3 57.Kd4 h4 58.Ke3 h3 59.Kf3 Bh4!, wherein the B and P complement each other to prevent the WK's approach. Further, White is in Zugzwang and must move outside the square of the P.

Scott Crowley
21-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Just back in Australia after the zonals and just wanted to say WELL DONE. The Kiwis did a fantastic job, the venue was lovely, it ran without any major hiccups besides one rain delay which they saw the funny side of and the organisation of the event was great. As one of the parents I thought the players seemed to have a wonderful time. I know my son who played made many new friends playing friendlies between rounds who I am sure he will see again at future competitions and we got to meet many of the parents and players, many we already knew and some we didn't.

And well done to all the players, I wish you all the best for future comps.

ER
21-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Just back in Australia after the zonals and just wanted to say WELL DONE. The Kiwis did a fantastic job, the venue was lovely, it ran without any major hiccups besides one rain delay which they saw the funny side of and the organisation of the event was great. As one of the parents I thought the players seemed to have a wonderful time. I know my son who played made many new friends playing friendlies between rounds who I am sure he will see again at future competitions and we got to meet many of the parents and players, many we already knew and some we didn't.

And well done to all the players, I wish you all the best for future comps.

Well said Scott! BTW I am sure that Regan won a prize as it was announced by the organisers. Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that! Cheers!

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Capablanca-Fan's solution to Dive-Louie is 100% correct. It is quite a nice little endgame study.

It seems the event was highly successful and great job by the organisers to persist in bringing us live games for the latter half despite the severe technical difficulties mentioned.

Scott Crowley
21-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Hi Elliott, thanks for that.
I believe he won the Under 1800 division and he got the CM title after R7.
Adrian was going to collect anything as we had a 6pm flight.
It would have been nice to hang around for the presentations as so many folks did so well. Lots of Victorian kids included in that!

Leonid Sandler
21-01-2017, 10:50 AM
http://www.chess-news.ru/node/22648

Capablanca-Fan
21-01-2017, 10:59 AM

The FIDE calendar (https://www.fide.com/index.php?option=com_fidecalendar&view=fidecalendar)says it's in the capital Tbilisi, but regardless, what Pax said.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2017, 11:06 AM
The FIDE calendar (https://www.fide.com/index.php?option=com_fidecalendar&view=fidecalendar)says it's in the capital Tbilisi, but regardless, what Pax said.

It was originally to be entirely in Tbilisi. At the GA in Baku a proposal was approved to move it in Batumi with the final in Tbilisi, but we'll see.

ER
22-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Hi Elliott, thanks for that.
I believe he won the Under 1800 division and he got the CM title after R7.
Adrian was going to collect anything as we had a 6pm flight.
It would have been nice to hang around for the presentations as so many folks did so well. Lots of Victorian kids included in that!

Hi Scott
I am so happy for Regan!
I am sure he will advance to much higher stages given his dedication and thorough approach to the game.
I also note that he is becoming more and more popular by the day amongst his peers wherever he performs.
A great part of his improvement is, of course, owed to Anoma's and your contribution by providing
a strong foundation for his endeavours.
Cheers and good luck!

Kevin Bonham
24-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Posts moved

I've moved the posts about the location of the 2019 Zonal to a new thread.

Capablanca-Fan
24-01-2017, 01:41 PM
It was originally to be entirely in Tbilisi. At the GA in Baku a proposal was approved to move it in Batumi with the final in Tbilisi, but we'll see.

Doesn't say much for FIDE competence if people need to come to ChessChat rather than the FIDE site for accurate information.

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2017, 10:30 PM
FIDE has confirmed all the title awards for Australian players and I have confirmed we accept all the FM/WFM titles.

Payment details for the CM/WCM titles will be emailed out tomorrow at an unknown time and post 140 updated with details of who has paid as they come in.

Kevin Bonham
01-02-2017, 01:20 PM
The payment window for Australian CM and WCM applicants is now open until 9 Feb. Applicants have been emailed and post 140 will be updated from time to time to show who has paid.

If any of the five remaining players eligible for CM from Australia wish to claim they need to send me an email confirming this in time for me to see the email and for them to pay by 9 Feb. After that they can still claim the title but the cost may increase from the current level of $75.

Alana
03-02-2017, 06:16 PM
FIDE has confirmed all the title awards for Australian players and I have confirmed we accept all the FM/WFM titles.

Payment details for the CM/WCM titles will be emailed out tomorrow at an unknown time and post 140 updated with details of who has paid as they come in.

A nice surprise but why so quick? Aren't titles meant to be approved by the Presidential Meeting every quarter?

Kevin Bonham
03-02-2017, 08:42 PM
A nice surprise but why so quick? Aren't titles meant to be approved by the Presidential Meeting every quarter?

That applies to title applications with norms and so on that need to be checked carefully for eligibility. For direct titles the checking process is straightforward so they are awarded (more or less) right away.

Kevin Bonham
04-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Posts moved

A few more posts starting with Michael's note about a Genna Sosonko article mentioning the vast number of titles have been moved to the soft titles thread.

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?3707-soft-titles-(sf-Zonal-threads-bumped-with-new-posts)

Kevin Bonham
11-02-2017, 05:41 PM
I have emailed FIDE to accept the 17 Australian WCM/CM titles that have been paid with payment notified as per post 140.

The remaining three have been declined at least for the time being.

Kevin Bonham
18-09-2017, 12:22 PM
A large number of Australian pins and certificates mostly arising from this event have arrived. I expect to start distributing these either towards the end of this week or early next week. I will post here again once all that I have addresses for have been posted. If any recipient has changed their postal address since advising me of it earlier this year they should email me at k_bonham@tassie.net.au .

Kevin Bonham
25-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Mailout delayed by other commitments including unexpected ACF work. I now expect to do the mailout on either Wednesday or Friday this week. Apologies for the delay.

Kevin Bonham
27-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Not all the certificates and pins for the Zonal have arrived in Australia yet. I've emailed the four players affected.