PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble installing/running Stockfish 7 on my Computer :(

MichaelBaron
13-01-2016, 10:05 PM
I've downloaded Stockfish 7.0 - however it does not run on my computer for some reason. Any suggestions? :)

Adamski
13-01-2016, 10:33 PM
I assume you have checked the memory, operating system compatibility and all the obvious things. Maybe a Google search will find something relevant. Good luck!

MichaelBaron
13-01-2016, 11:06 PM
I assume you have checked the memory, operating system compatibility and all the obvious things. Maybe a Google search will find something relevant. Good luck!

Will do...also realized I may need to download the interface separately

Thebes
14-01-2016, 02:52 AM
Genuine question, do you have chessbase or some type of program to operate stockfish?
Stockfish isn't a GUI but simply just code.
You can torrent chessbase 12 very easily if you don't have it already or there may be free interfaces on the Internet.

MichaelBaron
14-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Genuine question, do you have chessbase or some type of program to operate stockfish?
Stockfish isn't a GUI but simply just code.
You can torrent chessbase 12 very easily if you don't have it already or there may be free interfaces on the Internet.

No :(. Will download tonight!

Davidflude
17-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Instaling Stockfish on PC's

When you download from the Stockfish site you will see four versions of Stockfish 7.

If you have a 32 bit operating system then you will need to instal stockfish 7 32bit.exe. The 3 64 bit versions probably will not start and even if they do will be unreliable.

If you have a 64 bit system then the situation is more complex.

Stockfish 7x64 bmi2.exe is the strongest but will only run reliably on very new computers with a particular design. (You will find more details on the Stockfish web site)

Stockfish 7x64 popcnt,exe is the next strongest and runs like a rocket on my PC.

Stockfish7x64.exe should be used if the other versions do not work.

The other two common errors in using chess playing programs are

1)devoting all cores to the program (This may cause the program to thrash)

2) allocating two much memory to the hash tables (again this may cause thrashing). set the size of hash tables as about half the available memory or slightly less.

Some people try and make computer programs run faster by installing more memory. When I asked the shop to increase the memory on my PC they suggested I install a solid state hard drive and put the operating system and application programs on the solid state drive but all data files on normal hard drives.

This cost me under $200, Everything is faster. The computer starts faster and all application programs run more quickly. In particular Dragon Dictate runs much better. (This program really tests your computer.)

David

ER
18-01-2016, 06:10 AM
thank you very much David Flude!

MichaelBaron
20-01-2016, 03:08 AM

When you download from the Stockfish site you will see four versions of Stockfish 7.

If you have a 32 bit operating system then you will need to instal stockfish 7 32bit.exe. The 3 64 bit versions probably will not start and even if they do will be unreliable.

Stockfish 7x64 bmi2.exe is the strongest but will only run reliably on very new computers with a particular design. (You will find more details on the Stockfish web site)

Stockfish 7x64 popcnt,exe is the next strongest and runs like a rocket on my PC.

2) allocating two much memory to the hash tables (again this may cause thrashing). set the size of hash tables as about half the available memory or slightly less.

Some people try and make computer programs run faster by installing more memory. When I asked the shop to increase the memory on my PC they suggested I install a solid state hard drive and put the operating system and application programs on the solid state drive but all data files on normal hard drives.

This cost me under $200, Everything is faster. The computer starts faster and all application programs run more quickly. In particular Dragon Dictate runs much better. (This program really tests your computer.)

David

Thank you, David.
Last night, the installation mission was accomplished! Was a great learning experience for me!

ElevatorEscapee
21-01-2016, 11:00 PM
HI David, do you. or do you not use this to inform you of potentially good moves in your correspondence games? :)

David

Davidflude
26-01-2016, 05:35 PM
HI David, do you. or do you not use this to inform you of potentially good moves in your correspondence games? :)

I follow the rules. on IECG computers were banned and I followed this rule. On ICCF computers are allowed and used by everybody.

Recently I was analyzing a line where the books do not even consider what I consider the best line. White wins 65% but it should be higher as some white players missed the best moves. I found one over the board and one correspondence game where black avoided the main line and won both games.

I found a monster improvement for white which looks like a real patzers move.

to my complete delight a correspondence opponent played into the line within weeks and was probably totally shocked when I offered a piece on move eleven. Now if I can just catch some OTB players with the line that would be fantastic. I will post the game after it is finished.

Brian_Jones
26-01-2016, 10:18 PM
I agree with David. On ICCF computer engines are allowed and used by almost everybody.

Some players choose not to use engines but they play in lower events against like minded players.

Other players use engines blindly without chess knowledge and invariably lose.

The best players use their chess knowledge and then supplement this with engines to check tactical variations.

Games can be seen at www.iccf.com

ElevatorEscapee
28-01-2016, 09:05 PM
I follow the rules. on IECG computers were banned and I followed this rule. On ICCF computers are allowed and used by everybody.

Recently I was analyzing a line where the books do not even consider what I consider the best line. White wins 65% but it should be higher as some white players missed the best moves. I found one over the board and one correspondence game where black avoided the main line and won both games.

I found a monster improvement for white which looks like a real patzers move.

to my complete delight a correspondence opponent played into the line within weeks and was probably totally shocked when I offered a piece on move eleven. Now if I can just catch some OTB players with the line that would be fantastic. I will post the game after it is finished.

Thanks David (& Brian), no offence meant - I understand that there are computer assisted tournaments available in Correspondence Chess. I look forward to seeing your published game with the piece sac on move 11. :)