PDA

View Full Version : A Need for State of Origin

doc
04-12-2004, 06:33 PM
My thoughts are this. We need to establish a state-of-origin competition either via the internet or otherwise where top teams from the respective state interclub competitions compete against each other.

This would promote Australian chess much more. Any thoughts?

Rincewind
04-12-2004, 07:20 PM
My thoughts are this. We need to establish a state-of-origin competition either via the internet or otherwise where top teams from the respective state interclub competitions compete against each other.

Good idea in principle. Paul B (I think) organised and internet one not long ago (last year?). I think it was not greatly patronised by the more populous states.

But others on this BB would know more about it than me.

Denis_Jessop
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM

If the interest is there we should surely do something of the kind. Years ago there were regular telechess matches between State teams but they were a bit tedious (using teleprinters) though quite popular. Now, with the internet, I assume a much more "user friendly" round of matches could be held. There is one competition of this kind still extant - the Dorothy Dibley Shield for inter-State women's teams though I'm not sure how it's going this year. I believe they were using the internet successfully last year.

Denis Jessop

Alan Shore
05-12-2004, 03:00 AM
If the interest is there we should surely do something of the kind. Years ago there were regular telechess matches between State teams but they were a bit tedious (using teleprinters) though quite popular. Now, with the internet, I assume a much more "user friendly" round of matches could be held. There is one competition of this kind still extant - the Dorothy Dibley Shield for inter-State women's teams though I'm not sure how it's going this year. I believe they were using the internet successfully last year.

Denis Jessop

I know last year it (DD Shield) was run on Alan Goldsmith's 'Internet Chess On Nexus' Australian chess server. Used to be very popular years ago but now no one logs on there. It would be an easy way to set up state matches. I'm still a server administrator there so could organise times and whatnot if respective states got their teams together.

Denis_Jessop
05-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I know last year it (DD Shield) was run on Alan Goldsmith's 'Internet Chess On Nexus' Australian chess server. Used to be very popular years ago but now no one logs on there. It would be an easy way to set up state matches. I'm still a server administrator there so could organise times and whatnot if respective states got their teams together.

That sounds very promising! We'll see how things pan out at the ACF National Conference and then maybe something can be organised for next year.

Denis Jessop

The_Wise_Man
05-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Such a competition will pit the best against the best....

Lets think the concept over.... Maybe a finance company, bank, Big 4 accounting firm etc will want to sponsor such an event.... I think that it will add to their brand (strategic game.... Come to us we have the right strategy.... we are intelligent people etc...)

Lets use the competition as a low participation... say 4 boards,(maybe seperate ladies board and 1 board for a junior and make it a Spectacular City Venue with a 100 capacity audience...

Maybe a dream.... but maybe just maybe we can pull it off...

Wise

pballard
06-12-2004, 09:13 AM

Denis Jessop

I participated in several of these in the late 70's - early 80's. A phone line was kept open and moves were relayed from the phone operator to the boards. There was always significant delay: a 3 hour game (40/90) might take more like 4 or 5 hours, due to delays of relaying moves from the phone operator to the boards. Another problem was the price.

In the mid-90's, I participated in one using the internet (a chat room I think): using a single operator at each end, again relaying moves to the boards. It was painfully slow, much slower than using a voice line. I think this was because the operators were typing to each other rather than talking, so mix-ups were slower to trace. (The classic problem is a move gets missed somehow, so on board X each player is waiting for the other's move).

If the idea is to be resurrected, it would need to be a setup in which each player has his/her own computer (rather than one shared between the whole team), so each player has a direct line to his/her opponent. With computers so prevalent, maybe that is feasible nowadays.

--
Peter

Trent Parker
06-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Such a competition will pit the best against the best....

Lets think the concept over.... Maybe a finance company, bank, Big 4 accounting firm etc will want to sponsor such an event.... I think that it will add to their brand (strategic game.... Come to us we have the right strategy.... we are intelligent people etc...)

Lets use the competition as a low participation... say 4 boards,(maybe seperate ladies board and 1 board for a junior and make it a Spectacular City Venue with a 100 capacity audience...

Maybe a dream.... but maybe just maybe we can pull it off...

Wise

Oooh i like this dream!! :D