PDA

View Full Version : Download section updated.

skip to my lou
04-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I have updated the download section, http://www.chesskit.com/software/download.php

If you would like to recommend a download that is not there, let me know what it is, I will upload it.

Gandalf
06-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Too bad we can't put things like ChessMaster and stuff on that page ;)

Rahul
03-12-2003, 09:03 PM
or even deep blue ;) :D

skip to my lou
03-12-2003, 11:24 PM
There are alot of programs these days that are stronger than Deep Blue. Like Deep Fritz, who Kasparov has played twice now. Both series ended in a draw. The Deep Fritz that Kasparov played was running on Quad Xeon with alot of RAM.

Gandalf
06-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Anyone here know whether hardware is cheaper in Australia or the Philippines? I'm thining of buying up a lot of RAM while here, though I didn't do my homework before leaving. Gimme prices!

skip to my lou
06-12-2003, 03:40 PM
I dont think it will be different, since it still has to be imported. I haven't been there so not entirely sure.

Gandalf
10-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Actually no, it's made here. Also, profit margins are adjusted in line with what people are willing to pay, which is directly proportional to the cost of living, median income etc. Basically, everything here is cheaper except medicines etc which have no competition - it's all just a matter of how much cheaper.

skip to my lou
10-12-2003, 05:30 AM
didn't know they manufacture computers there.

Anyhow, I've seen a few places to buy comps overseas. Usually prices are similar.

Gandalf
15-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Well, yes they are if the parts are still imported. Things like Texas Instruments HDDs cost the same (I calculated myself) though things made here, like Toshiba Laptops, are considerably cheaper. It's just not fair. :(

Accessories (USB hubs, powerboards, phone cables) however are much more nicely priced. I'm gearing up on everything I can while here. I already have a powerboard with universal plugs (for devices bought overseas etc) and a retractable phone line (for laptop). Now I just need to get a hyb and any other damn thing that looks remotely useful. :D

Vijayendra
20-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Chess tutor software is an useful one. Link can be included in the downloads arena

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Shashang,

If you want free chess software, why not look at WinBoard and Crafty? Their authors actually want to share their programs with you.

boardumb
14-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Asking for illegal software on forums certainly isn't recommended, and could lead to legal problems for the people who run the site.

Alan Shore
14-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Asking for illegal software on forums certainly isn't recommended, and could lead to legal problems for the people who run the site.

Yep, agreed. Thread should be locked.

Rincewind
14-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Yep, agreed. Thread should be locked.

How would locking the thread help?

Anyway, I removed the "unsavoury" post and quote of it. I've left what I thought was useful advice and this brief discussion.

I must admit my original idea was to remove the post, but then I though perhaps education about what is available in freeware domain would be more constructive. In hindsight I suppose the middle road was best, although it is a sorry state of affairs.