Federation is delighted to announce the 2016 National Championships will
once again be staged in Devonport, Auckland. The Championship will be open
to all players of all nationalities. In addition to the Open , Rapid and
Blitz events, the organisers will be adding a separate MAJOR OPEN (under
2100), a separate JUNIOR OPEN, and other subsidiary events. MORE DETAILS TO
FOLLOW SHORTLY.

slyall
02-04-2015, 04:22 PM
I vote for the Major Open in the morning and Championship in the afternoon to let people play in both :)

CivicChessMan
04-04-2015, 01:35 AM
Splitting NZ Open into two tournaments is a big improvement, particularly if only 9 rounds are to be played, because it will avoid the lopsidedness of round 1.

slyall
04-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Splitting NZ Open into two tournaments is a big improvement, particularly if only 9 rounds are to be played, because it will avoid the lopsidedness of round 1.

I was wondering what would happen if significant numbers of under-2100 players entered the Championship and left a relatively small Major Open. In reality it probably won't happen but depending on what is actually announced I might leave my decission on which tournament to enter till a bit later so I can see who the fields compare.

CivicChessMan
05-04-2015, 12:37 AM
It would be better to restrict the Open to players with NZCF rating over 2000 (or FIDE rating over 2100) as has been standard practice with the NZ Championship. I realise that this means that it isn't totally open but will result in better competition.

Keong Ang
05-04-2015, 02:55 PM
It would be better to restrict the Open to players with NZCF rating over 2000 (or FIDE rating over 2100) as has been standard practice with the NZ Championship. I realise that this means that it isn't totally open but will result in better competition.
Once it is a NZ Open no rating restrictions can be imposed.

The NZ Championship is a closed tournament where all players need to be above a certain rating to enter. Foreign players must have NZCF Council approval before being allowed to participate. This is not applicable when a NZ Open is being held.
Based on how things are going, an annual NZ Open is being established where the NZ Championships would be incorporated into the NZ Open. There may never be a closed NZ Championship again.

Keong Ang
05-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I was wondering what would happen if significant numbers of under-2100 players entered the Championship and left a relatively small Major Open. In reality it probably won't happen but depending on what is actually announced I might leave my decission on which tournament to enter till a bit later so I can see who the fields compare.
I'd think it would be better (at least from a financial viability viewpoint) to have the Major Open in the morning and the NZ Open in the afternoon. This would allow players to play in both. It also conveniently allows the organisers to extract entry fees twice with essentially the same outlay for one tournament.

Probably a 90minutes, 30seconds increment single time control rate of play for the Major Open in the morning that starts at 10am.
NZ Open would have standard time control of 90minutes plus 30minutes at move 40, 30seconds increment multiple time control rate of play that starts at 3pm.
Everything would be FIDE rated.

This would give enough time for changeovers (and lunch!) between the two tournaments.
The poor sod who is the chief arbiter would be putting in 12 hour days! :eek::eek:

under2100 should mean under2100 FIDE rating. Therefore, if a player had a FIDE standard rating under2100, he/she can enter the Major Open regardless of what their NZCF or any other rating says.
Similarly, all rating group prizes etc. should be allocated according to FIDE rating. NZCF or other ratings would only be used when the player is FIDE unrated.
At least it would keep everyone from getting confused when pairings and results are published. It would also keep the arbiters sane.

Keong Ang
05-04-2015, 04:04 PM
If I had my way, tie breaks would be used to ensure there can only be one NZ Champion and, only players registered by FIDE as NZL can become the NZ Champion. Tie breaks would also determine the actual standings of all players.

To elevate NZ Congress (incl. NZ Open) importance, it already counts as a Super Class Grand Prix event for TWO Grand Prixs (as the end event of the 2015 GP and start event of 2016 GP). Additionally, it should be compulsory for any aspiring NZL representative player to play in the NZ Open. Generally, a player that did not play in the NZ Open would have no chance of being selected to represent NZL in anything unless nobody who played in the NZ Open applied. This would effectively elevate the NZ Open into the most important competition to play in.

There would be no more debates about selection of NZL representative players. Practically no need to have selectors, just look at the NZ Open standings whenever there are applicants for NZL representative places. The applicant with the highest NZ Open standing (incl. after tie-breaks) is automatically selected. We would only need to convene selectors when there are insufficient applicants who had played in the NZ Open.
For example, if there are 5 players to be selected for the NZL Open Olympiad team, and there were 8 applicants, the players with the highest 5 standings in the NZ Open would be selected. Should any of the applicants have not played in the NZ Open, they are effectively last choice. It should be deemed possible (and desirable) for an unrated NZL player who came dead last in the NZ Open with 0/9 to be selected ahead of a strong IM or FM who did not play in the NZ Open. At least one showed the commitment to play in NZ's most important event. NZCF needs to have the guts to implement this and face the heat, just like I'm probably going to end up NZCF's most hated officer for even suggesting this!! :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
I strongly support the above selection proposal in the interests of increasing Australia's score in our matches with NZL.

heligan
08-04-2015, 02:21 PM
More details are now available at
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/NZChamp123/index.html
...entry forms and other information will follow shortly.

slyall
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
So no chance to play in both the Major Open and the Championship since they are on at the same time :(

I guess I'll see how the entries look before I decide which one to enter although I'll probably default to the Major Open unless the field for that event looks really dumb.

Interesting to see that the upcoming Trusts Open has a big overlap between A grade (1800 and up) and B grade (1500-1999)

CivicChessMan
16-04-2015, 08:00 AM
If I had my way, tie breaks would be used to ensure there can only be one NZ Champion and, only players registered by FIDE as NZL can become the NZ Champion. Tie breaks would also determine the actual standings of all players.

Using tiebreaks to decide the NZ Champion is not a good idea. Players cannot control who their opponents are so could be "robbed" by the vagaries of the paring system. I see no problem in there being more than one NZ Champion. On the other hand, I support the idea that only NZL registered players can be NZ Champion.

heligan
23-04-2015, 03:14 PM
First Grandmaster Entries for 2016 NZ Open

The New Zealand Chess Federation is delighted to announce that GM Matthieu Cornette (France) and IM/WGM Deimante Daulyte (Lithuania) have accepted invitations to participate in the 2016 Championships. 26-year-old Daulyte is a five-time winner of the Lithuanian Women’s Championship, while Cornette, 29, will surely be one of the tournament favourites with his current rating of FIDE 2588.

Capablanca-Fan
24-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Using tiebreaks to decide the NZ Champion is not a good idea. Players cannot control who their opponents are so could be "robbed" by the vagaries of the paring system. I see no problem in there being more than one NZ Champion. On the other hand, I support the idea that only NZL registered players can be NZ Champion.

I agree with all the above ↑.

slyall
28-04-2015, 07:46 PM
A few more entries are now listed:

GM Gawain Jones (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=409561)
GM Alexandr Fier (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2107139)
GM Qun Ma (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8603154)
GM Wenjun Ju (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=8603006)
WGM Nino Maisuradze (http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=13601717)

Now 5 GMs, 1 IM and a WGM. Looking promising

heligan
22-07-2015, 09:25 AM
English Superstars will head 2016 NZ Open
Two regulars in the English Olympiad Squad will be top two seeds at the 2016 New Zealand Congress in January.
Grandmaster Gawain Jones, rated 2647, has been a popular and regular visitor to New Zealand shores, having married WIM Sue Maroroa from Auckland.
Grandmaster Nigel Short heads up the field, with a FIDE rating of 2683. Short, a former World Championship Challenger, is a perennial globe-trotter, but this is his first ever tournament in New Zealand.

The New Zealand Chess Federation acknowledges the generous support of Martin Dreyer of D & D Financial Consultants, and Chris Benson of Benson Insurance Brokers Ltd, in bringing these renowned Grandmasters to NZ. The 123rd NZCF Congress will take place 2nd-12th January, in Devonport, Auckland.

Adamski
22-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Well done Helen, Martin and Chris (and anyone else involved)!

ER
12-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Now this is a real challenge!
I was thinking about entering the 2016 Australian Championship which is held in Melbourne at the same time and not far from where I live.
Then I received a very important message from one of the participants in the New Zealand Open Championship 2016!
He asked me if I were interested to share accommodation not far from the volcano venue of this great event!
I am in two minds; to go or not to go!
I asked for a deadline until Tue (tomorrow) to give him a definite yes or no answer. (no maybes I don't like them)
He said I can make up my mind until late October!
Now, I am in the process of deciding.
Factors to be taken under consideration:

I have never visited Auckland before!
I have the best memories from the last time I visited and played in NZ (Queenstown Classic three years ago)
The accommodation my friend has located looks great, cheap as and it's situated only a couple hundred meters away from the crater playing hall!
I have to take some time, relax, listen to my favourite Boccherini quartet (yes the E major one) and try to comprehend the schedule of the NZ event!
Fitzroy Town Hall where the Aus Champs are going to be held this year is a direct tram trip from my house!
All my Aussie mates will be playing there!
Fitzroy is a lovely area but so is Devonport (of what I hear)
My experiences from playing at Fitzroy Town Hall some years ago aren't the best! (*)
If I go to NZ it will be the third consecutive year I will be celebrating Xmas and NY away from home!

(*) I was just out from hospital after a delicate operation still sporting surgical masks etc and was put to play in
a dark spooky room with virtually no elbow room! So inconvenient one had to push other participants out of their
seats to walk through to the bathroom facilities. On the positive side they have some great rare books at the Town Hall's (not the public) library and the building is
an architectural marvel!

The way things are now the vote goes 55% in favour of NZ, 35% in favour of Melbourne and 10% undecided!
Any suggestions welcome!

Walden
13-10-2015, 06:33 AM
Anyone looking for a place to stay in Auckland could contact me as I have 2 or 3 rooms
first in bases
Mark 027 3382040

ER
13-10-2015, 11:01 AM
[...]
The way things are now the vote goes 55% in favour of NZ, 35% in favour of Melbourne and 10% undecided!
[...]

polls can be misleading... after strong internal and external pressure this has been drastically changed to
NZ 45% , Aus 50%, undecided 5%

Not even in fed politics we see such turnabouts!

I didn't expect this

If I go to NZ it will be the third consecutive year I will be celebrating Xmas and NY away from home!

could be such a serious factor but it is

MichaelBaron
13-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Now this is a real challenge!
I was thinking about entering the 2016 Australian Championship which is held in Melbourne at the same time and not far from where I live.
Then I received a very important message from one of the participants in the New Zealand Open Championship 2016!
He asked me if I were interested to share accommodation not far from the volcano venue of this great event!
I am in two minds; to go or not to go!
I asked for a deadline until Tue (tomorrow) to give him a definite yes or no answer. (no maybes I don't like them)
He said I can make up my mind until late October!
Now, I am in the process of deciding.
Factors to be taken under consideration:

I have never visited Auckland before!
I have the best memories from the last time I visited and played in NZ (Queenstown Classic three years ago)
The accommodation my friend has located looks great, cheap as and it's situated only a couple hundred meters away from the crater playing hall!
I have to take some time, relax, listen to my favourite Boccherini quartet (yes the E major one) and try to comprehend the schedule of the NZ event!
Fitzroy Town Hall where the Aus Champs are going to be held this year is a direct tram trip from my house!
All my Aussie mates will be playing there!
Fitzroy is a lovely area but so is Devonport (of what I hear)
My experiences from playing at Fitzroy Town Hall some years ago aren't the best! (*)

(*) I was just out from hospital after a delicate operation still sporting surgical masks etc and was put to play in
a dark spooky room with virtually no elbow room! So inconvenient one had to push other participants out of their
seats to walk through to the bathroom facilities. On the positive side they have some great rare books at the Town Hall's (not the public) library and the building is
an architectural marvel!

Any suggestions welcome!

My sources are telling me...you will play in Melbourne :)

ER
13-10-2015, 09:17 PM
My sources are telling me...you will play in Melbourne :)

If you read my # 20 you will find that your sources are rather correct! :P :)

BTW I was just looking at my finance records and discovered I haven't yet paid my MCC membership fee for 2015!

I better fix that sooner rather than later!

ER
14-10-2015, 12:27 PM
back to the topic.
for various reasons most importantly having to do with timing of the event (xmas, ny eve etc) clashing with church, festivities and family celebrations.
the aus event is close to home and allows sufficient time for the above.
If everything goes well I will come over next year (zonal etc)
cheers and good luck to all!

heligan
27-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Entries for New Zealand Congress, January 2016
Players are reminded to get their entries in by 31st October, to avoid a late entry surcharge. This applies to the three main tournaments:
NEW ZEALAND OPEN 2nd-10th January;
MAJOR OPEN 2nd-10th January;
NEW ZEALAND JUNIOR OPEN 5th-10th January.
The Open Championships will take place in Devonport, Auckland – details at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/NZChamp123/index.html.

Walden
28-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Anyone looking for a place to stay in Auckland could contact me as I have 2 or 3 rooms
first in bases
Mark 027 3382040

please note rooms filling fast but if any couples coming wanting a double bed room should contact asap

GinoTHEstud
03-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Will the highest placed NZ player receive a spot in the Olympiad team?

heligan
03-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Full details of prizes are given on the web page, http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/NZChamp123/index.html. Gino, you don't have to scroll down far to see the answer to your question!

heligan
16-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Entries for New Zealand Congress, January 2016
Players are reminded to get their entries in by 20th December, to avoid a late entry surcharge of $50 for the Open and Major Open, and $20 for the Junior Open.
NEW ZEALAND OPEN 2nd-10th January;
MAJOR OPEN 2nd-10th January;
NEW ZEALAND JUNIOR OPEN 5th-10th January.
The Open Championships will take place in Devonport, Auckland – details at http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/NZChamp123/index.html.

slyall
19-12-2015, 12:29 PM
The field in the open is looking pretty good, those who have left their entries late for various reasons are now trickling in.

As for right now the Open is on 65 entries and the major on 48.

We have around half of the Top 30 in the last NZ rating list ( 2nd, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 26, 27 ) with at least one more from the top 10 strongly rumored to be playing.

The major open has a well spread out field with recent entries of Martin Post and Fuatai adding a bit more weight at the top.

CivicChessMan
21-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Will IM Anthony Ker be playing? He has played in over 30 NZ Championships in a row and with 13 championship titles is second only to the late Ortvin Sarapu. Hard to think of Congress without Anthony.

slyall
23-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Will IM Anthony Ker be playing? He has played in over 30 NZ Championships in a row and with 13 championship titles is second only to the late Ortvin Sarapu. Hard to think of Congress without Anthony.

Anthony Ker (4th in NZ rating) has now joined the field.

ChrisBurns
23-12-2015, 02:52 PM
The field in the open is looking pretty good, those who have left their entries late for various reasons are now trickling in.

As for right now the Open is on 65 entries and the major on 48.

We have around half of the Top 30 in the last NZ rating list ( 2nd, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 26, 27 ) with at least one more from the top 10 strongly rumored to be playing.

The major open has a well spread out field with recent entries of Martin Post and Fuatai adding a bit more weight at the top.

Was Ker the the strongly rumoured player or is there still another player waiting in the wings?

slyall
23-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Was Ker the the strongly rumoured player or is there still another player waiting in the wings?

Yes that was Anthony. Also a couple of others have joined further down this list. I've heard Wang, Croad and Watson are unlikely to be playing. Luke Li is playing in Australia, No idea about Nokes, Lukey, Thornton or Hart.

ChrisBurns
23-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Seems like a strong NZ presence, Luke Li been living and playing in Australia for a good few years now, can't remember the last tournament he played here. Wang still active though.

slyall
24-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Defending New Zealand Champion Gino Thornton :) is now entered.

Numbers for the Open plus the Major now exceed the field from last year.

rob
31-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I very much enjoyed playing in the NZ 2015 (as did my father and wife). Great tournament and Devonport/Auckland are lovely. I've been playing tournament & club chess for over 35 years and rarely make these comments.

I do have one recommendation: have the tournament in the second half of January, so that players can play in the Australian Open/Championship then the NZ Open. I would think that more overseas and interstate players would be tempted to play in both, so for Aus and NZ a win-win.

ChrisBurns
01-01-2016, 08:18 AM
There were 70 now 68 in the Open have some players switched tournaments or just not playing. Also having the NZ champs at a different time to Australian champs seems like a good idea. Those players from northern hemisphere could combine both.

slyall
01-01-2016, 11:32 AM
There were 70 now 68 in the Open have some players switched tournaments or just not playing.

67 now, It would be nice if diffs we're published. The Major Open entries have dropped from 52 to 50 I think, I believe Arie Nijman was in previously and is not anymore. There has also been a shuffle due to the Wellington Club Champs and Richard Sutton Trophy (and possibly some oversea's tournaments) changing people's FIDE rating

Also having the NZ champs at a different time to Australian champs seems like a good idea. Those players from northern hemisphere could combine both.

I understand that the problem in the past was that even when things didn't clash there were few Australian players. Anyway the 2017 Congress dates are already set (1st to 11th Jan 2017) so I'm sure nobody will complain if the Australians avoid those dates.

Keong Ang
01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
67 now, It would be nice if diffs we're published. The Major Open entries have dropped from 52 to 50 I think, I believe Arie Nijman was in previously and is not anymore. There has also been a shuffle due to the Wellington Club Champs and Richard Sutton Trophy (and possibly some oversea's tournaments) changing people's FIDE rating
Arie Nijman passed away. RIP. :(
Hence the whole group(all 3 of them) have been removed from the lists.

FIDE ratings have been updated and I'm only concerned about who is currently supposed to be on the list.

I understand that the problem in the past was that even when things didn't clash there were few Australian players. Anyway the 2017 Congress dates are already set (1st to 11th Jan 2017) so I'm sure nobody will complain if the Australians avoid those dates.
NZ Congress clashing with Australia's is an ongoing perennial issue. We all schedule it to take advantage of usual holidays to enable maximum local participation.
In 2017 the Oceania Zonal would start on 14th Jan 2017 and it would be hard to expect the Australians to schedule differently to avoid NZ Congress 2017 dates. It would not be surprising if a number of kiwis would prefer to play in the Australian Open instead of the NZ Congress in Wellington. The cost to participate in anything beyond commuting distance is similar.

Adamski
01-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Very sorry to hear Arie Nijman died. Had many games with him over a number of years and he was a great guy.

Keong Ang
01-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Round 1 pairings for both NZ Open and NZ Major tournaments are published online.

Follow the Vega file links from here:
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/NZChamp123/index.html

slyall
01-01-2016, 05:45 PM
I shall roll my upset dice and bet on at least one draw between:

Forster, William vs Kulashko, Alexei
Bennett, Hilton vs Maisuradze, Nino
McLaren, Leonard vs Timergazi, Layla
Ang, Alphaeus vs Fan, Allen
Moskow, Eric vs Qin, Joy

Keong Ang
02-01-2016, 10:14 AM
Live games for top 4 boards in NZ Open should be broadcast.

Follow the link on the left yellow band titled "Latest Live Games" from homepage of New Zealand Chess.
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/

Capablanca-Fan
02-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Live games for top 4 boards in NZ Open should be broadcast.

Follow the link on the left yellow band titled "Latest Live Games" from homepage of New Zealand Chess.
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/

Doesn't work. Try this instead (https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/new-zealand-open-2016/1/1/4).

Capablanca-Fan
02-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Very sorry to hear Arie Nijman died. Had many games with him over a number of years and he was a great guy.

I'm sorry too, and I agree with your assessment. OK, I've started a thread on this (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?16239-Arie-Nijman-RIP&p=404735#post404735). South Islanders like you and Dr Dowden could say far more about him than I could. I knew him over the years when I played occasionally in the South Island, but I think I had only one tournament game with him.

Ian Rout
02-01-2016, 02:54 PM
I understand that the problem in the past was that even when things didn't clash there were few Australian players.An issue there is that the Aust Juniors is in the second half of Jan and not only are some players playing but many strong players are coaching, so the capacity to attract top Aust players is limited.

There could be a benefit in the other direction, allowing NZ players to play both. It's true that every second year is the restricted Aust Championship, which has a cap on overseas players, but the other half of the time it's an Open, including strong overseas players.

slyall
02-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Major Open round one results are up.

Only one upset win with Mathew Steadman beating Don Eade (Rating diff 400 FIDE, 600pt NZCF) but there were 5 other draws. 20 players on 1 point.

Looks like they are using swiss pairings this year so most games in round 2 still have good size rating gaps between players.

Not sure if/when/where pgns will go online

slyall
02-01-2016, 04:02 PM
And from the Champs round 1.

As with the Major open just a single Win upset with Jack James beating Matthew Drummond and 5 draw upsets. Highest player held to a draw was Anthony Ker by Paul Macdonald on board 14.

Out of my 5 upset picks 2 managed draws, Although when I looked at Allen Fan's game against Alphaeus Ang I thought he had a good chance of a win.

Round 1 results:

http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2016/wwwNZOpen/pairs1.html

Round 2 Draw:
http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Vega2016/wwwNZOpen/pairs2.html

IanSellen
02-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Is anyone reporting or blogging on this tournament apart from here? Any pictures?

BenHague
02-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Don't know how Anthony managed to draw that, thought he was completely lost. Wasn't convinced by Russell's game either but at least his had potential. Mine wasn't actually as bad as I thought it was, only a couple of moves where I could've been slightly worse, rather than several and significantly. Don't if I should be pleased that I wasn't playing as badly as I'd imagined, or worried that I misassessed the position.

slyall
02-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Photos from Opening and Round 1 by Lin Nah (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/albums/72157663084911665)

MichaelBaron
02-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Nigel Short referred to the event as ''Jetlag Open'' :)

Adamski
02-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Photos from Opening and Round 1 by Lin Nah (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/albums/72157663084911665)

Nice photos, Lin and Simon. Nigel Short and Tony Dowden looking good. Murray Chandler like us all has got older.

heligan
03-01-2016, 07:41 AM
You can now find most of the Open round 1 and a few of the Major round 1 games as pgn (download or play-through) via the links at the top of the Vega pages. We'll keep adding to these. Many thanks to those doing data input, Peter Stuart in particular!

Capablanca-Fan
03-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Nice photos, Lin and Simon. Nigel Short and Tony Dowden looking good. Murray Chandler like us all has got older.

Yes, they are good, but I haven't a clue who most of them are.

slyall
03-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Day 2 Photos (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/albums/72157663055468086) have been uploaded

These are almost all taken by Lin. I have a few more on my phone that I'll upload at some point. If my opponent is happy to start the game a little late then I sometimes take a few myself if Lin isn't there (which she won't be most days).

There are way too many photos to put names on them all, although most players will be near a card with their name on it. If you have some specific queries then we can probably find them.

slyall
04-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Round 3.

The Corelli's Café prize went to Mathew Steadman for his upset Win in round 1 of the Major Open. Mathew also had a draw against a 200 point better player in round 2 although his run was checked in round 3. Playing conditions today were pretty hot though perhaps a little cooler than Day 2.

In the Open Scott Wastney held Gawain Jones to a draw. Jones was even nice enough to spend an hour or so at the end going over RPvsRP endings :). Steadman Snr also beat Koop and and Alphaeus Ang held Anthony Ker to a draw. Further down the table there were a lot of upsets. Personally this may be due to FIDE ratings for NZ players being a little random due to relatively few FIDE rated matches happening each year.

The Open has 6 players on 3 points, 5 GMs plus Michael Steadman so tomorrows matchups at the top will be a lot closer.

In the major open draws on boards 2 though 5 means that Antonio Krstev is in the lead by himself on 3 points. However there is a pack of 8 players on 2.5. No less than 12 draws in the Major Open but not loss upsets until board 21.

Adamski
05-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Looks like its too early to confidently predict a winner but I will be surprised if Short is outside the top 2 at the end.

slyall
05-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Photos from Round 3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/albums/72157663006258262)

IanSellen
05-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Ju Wenjun just made me extremely happy.

slyall
05-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Round 4 Report.

Championship

The big news is from Board 1 where Ju beating Short to take the sole lead in the Open. As Short said afterwards "If you play in a strategically suspect way, you have to back it up with accurate calculation".

Further down the top boards Steadman drew with Fier after looking a little ahead during much of the middlegame, while Ma vs Cornette drifted along into a draw. Wastney and Richards also drew.

Further down the field Shenyue Li held Ben Hague to a draw, Nathan Goodhue beat Gino Thornton, Layla Timergazi, Helen Milligan, Joy Qin and Caroline Yan also got upsets. Overall a pretty good day for the women.

Standings are Ju on 4 points followed by Ma, Fier, Cornette, Steadman and Jones on 3.5.

Those playing well above rating so far include: Ju, Steadman, Shenyue Li, Goodhue and Tamagazi

Major Open

Sole leader after round 3 Antanio Krstev was beaten by Fautai Fuatai as the top 5 boards all saw wins.

There are now 4 players leading on 3.5 Kumar, Fautai, Lyall and Sean Goh with another 4 on 3.0 and a pack on 2.5

Players playing well above rating so far include Sean Goh, Rodney Li, Mathew Steadman, Nicole Qin, Mathew Blackmore and Alex Fu

slyall
06-01-2016, 05:57 AM
I'm uploading photos overnight otherwise it uses all my bandwidth in the evenings. Photos for Day 4 are here (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/albums/72157660871766364)

All Photos for Congress 2016 are getting put into this collection (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/collections/72157663084926605/) if you are looking for them.

Let me know if there are any specific photos you are after.

Adamski
06-01-2016, 07:47 AM
GM Wenjun Ju clearly one to watch. Expect to see rating hikes.

IanSellen
07-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Many thanks to Simon Lyall for the photos and the reporting. Apart from this, I think the coverage of this tournament has been slightly disappointing, unless I'm missing something?

Mr Buss
07-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Many thanks to Simon Lyall for the photos and the reporting. Apart from this, I think the coverage of this tournament has been slightly disappointing, unless I'm missing something?

The top four games each round are broadcast live.
Results and draw are updated daily ,
all games from the open are online within a day or two .
Simon does a daily report
What exactly are you expecting?

slyall
07-01-2016, 06:08 PM
After 6 Rounds.

Championship

Jones now has the sole lead but by just half a point on 5.5. The other GMs are on 5.0 or 4.5 along with local players Kulashko, Steadman and Ker.

Jones is up against Kulashko in Round 7 so has a good chance to keep his lead as the 2 GMs on 5.0 are playing each other. The pattern of a local player getting a little ahead to bounce against the GMs above seems to be asserting itself.

Those playing well above rating so far include: Steadman (still), Richards, Sarah Yan and Timergazi

Note that Timergazi's 6 matches have all been against players 168 or more rating points above her. She has won 2, drawn 4 and lost none. She is on 4.0 vs an expected 1.2 and has a performance ratign 250 points above her current rating.

Major Open

Things continue to be close with 3 players on 5.0 and 4 on 4.5 . In Round 6 Fautai had a quick draw with Kumar enabling Sean Goh and Clinton Wells (who beat Lyall and Krstev respectively) to catch him.

Round 7 sees Fautai and Goh on board 1 while Eade's Swiss Gambit now has him up to board 3. Board's 4 through 21(!) all have large rating difference between opponents so there is a chance that the field could narrow a lot if there are draws on the top 3 boards.

Players performing well above rating include Sean Goh, Oliver Picken, Richard Meng, Ridney Li, Akshay Skarma . There were also some others further down the field but ratings are not that reliable that far down.

slyall
07-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Simon does a daily report ( although he seems to have gone missing after he started losing games)?

Yeah, didn't feel like posting last night after a poor game. However one up tonight after a not much better one.

WRT photos I only did the top 10 boards today (will upload later) since we've got photos of everybody else and it is a hassle with some players on lower boards. Sing out if you have any requests (I can probably also do video but not when I'm supposed to be playing or if it gets in people's way).

Mr Buss
07-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Yeah, didn't feel like posting last night after a poor game. However one up tonight after a not much better one.

WRT photos I only did the top 10 boards today (will upload later) since we've got photos of everybody else and it is a hassle with some players on lower boards. Sing out if you have any requests (I can probably also do video but not when I'm supposed to be playing or if it gets in people's way).

Fair enough , I have been following the tournaments online and look forward to the daily reports actually .
You looked to be playing pretty well earlier on . It's not over yet. Good luck for the rest of your games

ChrisBurns
07-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the updates Simon, I suppose there are many followers on this forum but not many people post. Also if you are one of the players then it can be distracting to feel obligated to post reports. Previous years have seen live comments as the games being played. But with the top 4 boards featuring mostly non Kiwis then is loses it excitement. It is still a close competition for the NZ players and too hard to predict the best NZer. Kulashko has the best score after 6 rounds but has hard game in round 7. It all can come down to who avoids the GM's in the last rounds which could decide the NZ champ. Hope we don't have a repeat of last year when there was a 8 (?) way tie.

CivicChessMan
08-01-2016, 07:12 AM
It was a 10 player tie for the Championship last year. The Champions were: Russell Dive, Nic Croad, Ben Hague, Paul Garbett, Anthony Ker, Gino Thornton, Bob Smith, Leonard McLaren, Alexandra Jule and Gordon Morell. I think (hope) that it is unlikely there will be a repeat in this year's Championship. The addition of the Major Open takes away most of what would have been "cannon fodder" in the first 2 or 3 rounds, thereby making more rounds significant. I would have liked a minimum rating of 2000 applied to the Championship, with perhaps, some wildcard entries available for deserving players below the minimum.

Tony Dowden
08-01-2016, 07:25 AM
I take your point CCM but I think a rating floor of 1600 is sufficient for the 'NZ Championship Open'. As Murray has pointed out, lower rated players pay a higher entry fee. In addition, from my perspective as a 2000+ player who is paying a significant amount for travel/accommo, it's OK playing one or two players in the 1600-1800 band but a bit annoying (and a waste of time) if they are more like 1300-1500.

CivicChessMan
08-01-2016, 04:13 PM
In the race for the Silver Rook, the significant game in round 8 is Alexei Kulashko vs Mike Steadman. Both players are on 5 points. This will take place on board 5 which is not an electronic one. Hopefully, the organisers will realise the importance of this game and move it to an electronic board.

slyall
08-01-2016, 04:34 PM
I take your point CCM but I think a rating floor of 1600 is sufficient for the 'NZ Championship Open'.

The bottom 3 players in the open wouldn't have even made it into the top half of the Major Open. They along with the 4th lowest appear to have struggled (just based in their results, I'm not had a look at the actual games). On the other hand a few under-1800s probably encouranged some more under 2000s to enter this rather than the Major Open. 4 bunnies out of 60 players doesn't seem too bad.

MichaelBaron
08-01-2016, 05:04 PM
I take your point CCM but I think a rating floor of 1600 is sufficient for the 'NZ Championship Open'. As Murray has pointed out, lower rated players pay a higher entry fee. In addition, from my perspective as a 2000+ player who is paying a significant amount for travel/accommo, it's OK playing one or two players in the 1600-1800 band but a bit annoying (and a waste of time) if they are more like 1300-1500.

I think the reality is - the more paying entrants any organizers can get - the better, so if lower-rated players want to enter and pay high entry fee, it is logical to let them in unless the event already has sponsorship that covers the expenses + the organizers are not profit oriented.

slyall
08-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Very wet today today. Raining heavily until late afternoon. Nice and cool inside though.

Championship

After a fairly even middle game Jones kept building up pressure in the endgame until he had the win (Kulashko's Dark-coloured Bishop looks especially unhappy). Ju looked good for a while in her game but it swapped down for a draw. Short won fairly easily while Ker's 13. Qe2 against Ma started the slide of his position.

Further down Drive and Steadman drew.

Jones is now a point clear of Ma, Ju and Fier with just two rounds to play. Out of the NZers Steadman and Kulasko are on 5.0 while Dive, Wastney, Ker, Hague and Mclaren are on 4.5 after the latter 4 all won in Round 7.

Round 8 sees the leading NZers all playing each other apart from Hague who gets to play GM Cornette. I think a lot will depend on the last round draw. We could potentially see either a pileup on 6 points or a just 1 or 2 people sneaking though to 6.5

People playing well above rating include: Jones, Steadman, Richards, Milligan, Timergazi (who finally lost today, to somebody 373 points better), Caroline Yan

Major Open

My prediction yesterday was partially correct. There were draws on the top 2 boards and a lot of Wins for the next few boards.

The top 4 players are on 5.5 points ( interesting they all have 4 wins, 3 draws, zero loses) while 3 more are on 5.0 and 8 on 4.5 . Interesting all the top 10 ranked players are on at least 4.5 .

Of the top players I'm picking Fuatai as having the best chance to win in round 8. Both other than that things are a bit off a tossup.

Playing above rating include: Sean Goh, Ethan Goh, Oliver Picken

CivicChessMan
08-01-2016, 07:46 PM
I think the reality is - the more paying entrants any organizers can get - the better, so if lower-rated players want to enter and pay high entry fee, it is logical to let them in unless the event already has sponsorship that covers the expenses + the organizers are not profit oriented.

The entry fee for the Open is $270 and $220 for the Major Open. If Tony's limit of 1600 had been applied then 3 players were ineligible = $150. Hardly going to break the bank.

MichaelBaron
08-01-2016, 07:58 PM
The entry fee for the Open is $270 and $220 for the Major Open. If Tony's limit of 1600 had been applied then 3 players were ineligible = $150. Hardly going to break the bank.

Wow...NZ entry fees are higher than Auzzie ones! I did not know it. As far as I remember my work visits to NZ (used to do a fair bit of projects there) - NZ dollar is a bit weaker than AUD but salaries in NZ dollars are roughly same figure (not the same value) as we get in AUS. But yes, if its 150 difference only -definitely not a factor.

slyall
08-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Entry fee for under-1700 into Open was $320 and the bottom 4 players had both ratings under that number. So $400 .

Keong Ang
08-01-2016, 08:39 PM
In the race for the Silver Rook, the significant game in round 8 is Alexei Kulashko vs Mike Steadman. Both players are on 5 points. This will take place on board 5 which is not an electronic one. Hopefully, the organisers will realise the importance of this game and move it to an electronic board.
I hear you!! (and read your lobbying email).

We have 12 DGT eboards available on site. I was about to install all of them but Murray thought they would occupy too much space. So for those trestle tables that have 2 boards per table, no eboard was installed. There is only enough floorspace to have 4 tables with one eboard each.
Actually each eboard would only take an extra 2cm of width compared to the vinyl ex-chesskids mats that are used. IMHO that is negligible and easily reclaimed by getting rid of the little flags that take up 3cm. Plus the walnut DGT eboards look a lot grander than vinyl mats that were meant for beginner kids to play on.

Murray chose to give the players more space for their comfort. He should understand players and their preferences a lot better than me.

I'll try to install more eboards tomorrow. Sure it's insubordination and being disobedient, but potential NZ Champion games are worth getting fired for...!! :lol::lol:

Qbert
09-01-2016, 06:40 AM
I hear you!! (and read your lobbying email).

I'll try to install more eboards tomorrow. Sure it's insubordination and being disobedient, but potential NZ Champion games are worth getting fired for...!! :lol::lol:

Hear hear! at least one game that counts for the title needs to be live.:clap:

slyall
09-01-2016, 08:03 AM
I've put up some photos from Days 6 and 7 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonlyall/collections/72157663084926605/)

Is anyone aware of any media (chess or general) or other writeups regarding the games? Apart from the posts here and the Live games the only stuff I've seen is Nigel Short's twitter (https://twitter.com/nigelshortchess) and Gawain Jones website (http://gawainjones.co.uk/).

BTW there is a NZChess twitter account (https://twitter.com/NZChess) if people are interested.

Keong Ang
09-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Hear hear! at least one game that counts for the title needs to be live.:clap:

Boards 1 to 5 in the NZ Open are broadcast live.
Enjoy!!

CivicChessMan
09-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks Keong. Looking forward to following Kulashko vs Steadman.

Keong Ang
09-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks Keong. Looking forward to following Kulashko vs Steadman.

ARGH! Switching on the printer has resulted in live boards 1, 2 and 4 going offline. Boards 3 and 5 are intermittent.
I'm going to try something drastic and if it works, they'll all be live again, if not, they'd be offline for rest of today. :doh::doh::doh:
Here's hoping...

Keong Ang
09-01-2016, 12:21 PM
ARGH! Switching on the printer has resulted in live boards 1, 2 and 4 going offline. Boards 3 and 5 are intermittent.
I'm going to try something drastic and if it works, they'll all be live again, if not, they'd be offline for rest of today. :doh::doh::doh:
Here's hoping...

OK restart successful so far. All boards 1 to 5 all back online. :whistle::cool:

Qbert
09-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Kulashko wins and goes favourite for his 4th NZ championship title and possibly his 3rd IM norm. By my calculations he has already met all the opponent requirements and if he meets at least a 2600 GM in the last round he has the required 2450 performance even if he loses and finishes on 6/9. Otherwise if he draws or wins against anyone he will have the norm.

slyall
09-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Round 8 in the Championship

Back to the Sunny weather although not as hot as a few days ago.

* One Board 1 Ma vs Jones had a fairly early draw,
On two Short pushed a little against Fier but was unable to make any progress against his (not quiet a fortress) position and settled for a draw.
* Koop never looked good against Ju and got steadily worse.
* Daulyte beat Maisuradze.
* On Board 5 Kulashko beat Steadman.

I had a quick look at Hague's game and I thought he had a drawing chances but it appears he lost in the end.

Overall Jones is on 6.5, Ju is on 6.5 and a group are on 6.0

Of the NZers

6.0 Kulashko
5.5 Dive, Wastney
5.0 Steadman, Garbett

Games:

Short vs Kulashko
Wastney vs Ma
Cornette vs Dive
Koop vs Garbett
Steadman vs Richards

Possible Score of the NZ Winner and how contenders could get there:

Winning Score: 7.0 - Kulashko beats Short
Winning Score: 6.5 - Kulashko draws, Dive wins vs Cornette, Wastney wins vs Ma
Winning Score: 6.0 - Kulashko loses, Dive draws, Wastney Draws, Steadman wins vs Richards, Garbett wins vs Koop

So:

* The top 3 NZers are all playing GMs
* If Kulashko beats short he wins by himself, If he draws he could share with a winning Wastney or Dive
* Wastney or Dive need at least a draw vs a GM to get to 6.0 and have a chance of a share, if they win then they have a chance of sole title if Kulasko loses
* Garbett needs a win to have a chance of a share, his opponent is rated 160 points better
* Steadman needs a win to have a chance to share by his opponent is rated 87 points worse.

Note: Updated to reflect that Koop is not eligible.

slyall
09-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Round 8 of Major Open

Going into the round there were 4 players on 5.5: Wells, Sean Goh, Fuatai and Kumar

* Wells beat Goh on Board 1. He did offer a draw fairly early in the game however which Goh declined. When I left at 5pm he looked better.
* Fuatai beat Tim Rains
* Kumar beat Krstev

That leaves possible winners:

6.5: Fuatai, Kumar, Wells
6.0: Post

Games:

Kumar vs Wells
Post vs Fuatai

Winner total:

7.5: Fuatai wins, Winner of Kumer vs Wells
7.0: Kumer and wells Draw, Fuatai draws, Post Wins

* Any of the top 3 can be sole winner if they win and the other game draws (or if Wells wins)
* If Wells vs Kumar results in a win
*** If Fautai wins then he shares 1st equal with the winner
*** Otherwise they (Wells or Kumar) are the sole winner
* If Wells vs Kumar draw then:
*** If Fautai wins then he is the sole winner
*** If Fautai draws then it is a 3-way tie for with Wells, Kumer and Fuatai
*** If Fautai loses then it is a 3-way tie with Wells, Kumar & Post

CivicChessMan
09-01-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm not sure Thorben Koop is eligible. He was a member of the Otago Chess Club in 2012 when he was in NZ as an student.

slyall
09-01-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure Thorben Koop is eligible. He was a member of the Otago Chess Club in 2012 when he was in NZ as an student.

Good point. I was going to add something but forgot. I've put in a little note.

If somebody could 100% confirm if he's eligible or not it would be great

heligan
09-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Koop is not eligible. He's not resident and was only on a student visa when he was here, so even then he wasn't eligible. 'NZ players' are either NZ citizens or people with permanent residence visas.

Craig_Hall
10-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Entry fee for under-1700 into Open was $320 and the bottom 4 players had both ratings under that number. So $400 .

The entry fees on the website now are the late entry fees - the entry fees were less for early entries (before 1 November), although the actual difference was the same ($100).

Craig_Hall
10-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Koop is not eligible. He's not resident and was only on a student visa when he was here, so even then he wasn't eligible. 'NZ players' are either NZ citizens or people with permanent residence visas.

By permanent residence visas, does that mean only Permanent Resident Visas, or does it include any Residence Class Visas issued under the Immigration Act 2009?

Apologies for sounding so pedantic, but many NZ residents don't realise there is such a thing as a Permanent Resident Visa and never bother obtaining them, especially if they never formally obtained residence, and instead are deemed to hold a residence visa under the transitional provisions of the Immigration Acts 1987 and 2009.

Mr Buss
10-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Congratulations Alexei Kulashko
Great considering it's not that long since the guy came back

Wouldn't mind knowing how Steadman and Garbett are going

Mr Buss
10-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Great stuff Mike Steadman well deserved. Auckland centre all the way .
Hard luck Paul Garbett Wastney Dive

Nice one Fuatai .... And Kumar Vinod

Qbert
11-01-2016, 04:41 AM
Congratulations to Alexei Kulashko (4th title and what looks like the IM title - 3rd norm and he reached 2400 in the year 2000) and Mike Steadman (2nd title) who benefited from his early good results to have the most favorable draw in the final round. :clap::clap::clap:

Well Done Tony Dowden for securing the under 2200 prize only half a point behind :clap::clap::clap:

Oh, and congratulations to GM Gawain Jones, who found something to do while visiting the in-laws. :clap::clap::clap:

Keong Ang
11-01-2016, 07:43 AM
Games on boards 1 to 5 will be broadcast live for NZ Rapid and NZ Lightning.
PGN for past games should be available in Vega by the next round.
Enjoy!!

Tony Dowden
11-01-2016, 04:22 PM
… Well Done Tony Dowden for securing the under 2200 prize only half a point behind :clap::clap::clap: ...

Thanks, the rating prize came as a complete surprise! In fact I'm embarrassed to say I missed the Prize-giving ceremony because I accepted the kind offer of a ride to my new accommodation in Milford after having to vacate my B&B in Devonport. Happily the Organising Committee were fully prepared to give me the prize the next day :)

Capablanca-Fan
11-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks, the rating prize came as a complete surprise! In fact I'm embarrassed to say I missed the Prize-giving ceremony because I accepted the kind offer of a ride to my new accommodation in Milford after having to vacate my B&B in Devonport. Happily the Organising Committee were fully prepared to give me the prize the next day :)

Very good! :clap: Any games worth posting here?

ER
12-01-2016, 07:27 AM

Congratulations Tony! My luck to miss sharing accommodation with the champion, due to my change of mind to play at the Aus Champs instead! :) Hopefully, I see you at Doeberl! :)

Adamski
12-01-2016, 11:31 AM

Great to see you doing well, Dr Tony. I too would like to see some of your games here. Thanks in advance my friend.

CivicChessMan
13-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Four way tie for the NZ Rapid Championship title between Paul Garbett, Mark Noble, Bob Smith and Puchen Wang on 6.5 / 9. Defending champions Russell Dive and Hans Gao finished on 6 and 5.5 points respectively. Tournament was won by GM Qun Ma with a picket fence.

This is Puchen Wang's 4th Championship, Paul Garbett and Bob Smith's 3rd and Mark Noble's 2nd. Puchen last won in 2014, Paul Garbett in 2013, Bob Smith in 2008 and Mark Noble has waited 21 years to capture his 2nd title.

Tony Dowden
14-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Great to see you doing well, Dr Tony. I too would like to see some of your games here. Thanks in advance my friend.

Thanks, I'll try and find a half-decent game or two then Jonathan :)

For the record I prefer to be called 'Tony'. In my view the doctor honorific is only relevant for formal occasions in the academic context ... or when visiting the dentist ;)

Adamski
14-01-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks, I'll try and find a half-decent game or two then Jonathan :)

For the record I prefer to be called 'Tony'. In my view the doctor honorific is only relevant for formal occasions in the academic context ... or when visiting the dentist ;)Haha and noted, Tony. Wishing you success OTB in 2016!

Walden
14-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Four way tie for the NZ Rapid Championship title between Paul Garbett, Mark Noble, Bob Smith and Puchen Wang on 6.5 / 9. Defending champions Russell Dive and Hans Gao finished on 6 and 5.5 points respectively. Tournament was won by GM Qun Ma with a picket fence.

This is Puchen Wang's 4th Championship, Paul Garbett and Bob Smith's 3rd and Mark Noble's 2nd. Puchen last won in 2014, Paul Garbett in 2013, Bob Smith in 2008 and Mark Noble has waited 21 years to capture his 2nd title.

For your info the last time I played in a NZ Championship was 1995 so this would mean back to back titles just 21 year apart

Tony Dowden
14-01-2016, 09:51 PM
For your info the last time I played in a NZ Championship was 1995 so this would mean back to back titles just 21 year apart
Nice, so we'll be expecting more action in 2037 then?

Tony Dowden
14-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Congratulations Tony! My luck to miss sharing accommodation with the champion, due to my change of mind to play at the Aus Champs instead! :) Hopefully, I see you at Doeberl! :) Thanks Elliott, unsure about the Doeberl at this stage but if I make it Easter eggs are on you this time :)

heligan
16-01-2016, 06:34 AM
ChessBase report by Deimante Daulyte at:
http://en.chessbase.com/post/gawain-jones-is-new-new-zealand-champion

Scott Wastney
16-01-2016, 09:30 AM
ChessBase report by Deimante Daulyte at:
http://en.chessbase.com/post/gawain-jones-is-new-new-zealand-champion

Thanks to all the people involved in organising the event (in case they read the chesschat pages). It was a very enjoyable tournament and I'm glad I made the effort to make it up to Auckland. Also congratulations to Mike and Alexei for their well deserved NZ title.