PDA

View Full Version : Oceania Zonal 2015 July 4-10

Southern Cross
06-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know when/where the Oceania Zonal 2015 will be held?
I emailed them according to the email on www.oceaniachess.com a while ago, and haven't received any reply. Is the confederation still alive?

Adamski
06-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know when/where the Oceania Zonal 2015 will be held?
I emailed them according to the email on www.oceaniachess.com a while ago, and haven't received any reply. Is the confederation still alive?Definitely alive. Maybe email Brian Jones directly. brian@chessaustralia.com.au.

Kevin Bonham
06-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Brian is no longer in charge of the OCC; his term finished and Paul Spiller is the new President. The OCC most certainly still exists.

I had a message in mid-October from Paul giving the Oceania Zonal venue and dates as "Norths Leagues Club in North Sydney from July 3 - 9. More details on this will be out in December after arrangements are finalised."

ER
07-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I had a message in mid-October from Paul giving the Oceania Zonal venue and dates as "Norths Leagues Club in North Sydney from July 3 - 9. If this is the case it will be great. Perfect venue and historically excellent organising. :clap: I hope I am back from Europe by then so I can have a few days of rest in Sydney following this event from close!

heligan
07-11-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm anxious to know the dates, for the NZ Calendar and the handful of NZers who have expressed interest (we haven't issued a specific request for applications yet). My understanding is that the July dates are unconfirmed, as the Asian Chess Federation would prefer the event to be in the first quarter of 2015. Any official news would be welcome...

AzureBlue
07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I asked Norths a while ago and they said they had 'tentative dates of 3 to 9 July 2015'.
This timeframe was suggested in order to maximise attendance of the event, giving students the opportunity to attend, as I believe it falls in both the primary/secondary school and uni holidays (unis have exams in June). The Easter period would be busy with Doeberl & the SIO and I think any other date (apart from maybe Jan-Feb) would mean students would have to miss school to attend.

Ian_Rogers
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Of course those dates will see 30 of the country's keenest kids away at the Junior Elite Training Squad camp on the Gold Coast, though hopefully that will mean that the Zonal field will consist somewhat less of juniors and more of elite players. Not good for the tournament budget but better for the credibility of the zonal titles.

Vlad
09-11-2014, 08:10 AM
With a new regulation in place, the new zonal titles will be as credible as you could possibly hope. The only issue is that there will be not many of them.:)

Tony Dowden
09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
With a new regulation in place, the new zonal titles will be as credible as you could possibly hope. The only issue is that there will be not many of them.:)

What regulation(s), Vlad?

AzureBlue
09-11-2014, 05:31 PM
What regulation(s)
As posted before;

In the latest handbook, FIDE have tightened the Direct Title Regulations from Zonals (Sub-Continental Individual). (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=173&view=article)

To obtain:
IM/WIM must get =1st in the tournament (this includes the already-titled GMs/IMs playing in the tournament) and Silver/Bronze (2nd/3rd) only get IM/WIM norms (as opposed to titles as per the handbook in July 2013).
FM/WFM need 6/9 (up from 4.5/9 a few years ago)
CM/WCM need 4.5/9 (up from 40% a few years ago)
I believe the limit of 1 IM/WIM titles and 2 FM/WFM titles is still in place.

MichaelBaron
11-11-2014, 12:34 AM
As posted before;

In the latest handbook, FIDE have tightened the Direct Title Regulations from Zonals (Sub-Continental Individual). (http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=173&view=article)

To obtain:
IM/WIM must get =1st in the tournament (this includes the already-titled GMs/IMs playing in the tournament) and Silver/Bronze (2nd/3rd) only get IM/WIM norms (as opposed to titles as per the handbook in July 2013).
Reading this with a lot of satisfaction. The title factory is closing down :).

Kerry Stead
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM

I think these limits have been scrapped with the higher thresholds now in place. I suppose someone could check to see how many titles would have been awarded at previous zonals if the current regulations were in place, but I suspect it would be a lot less.

AzureBlue
11-11-2014, 12:16 PM
I think these limits have been scrapped with the higher thresholds now in place. I suppose someone could check to see how many titles would have been awarded at previous zonals if the current regulations were in place, but I suspect it would be a lot less.
Apologies; thanks for the correction - I haven't read anything about the changing of the limits of the number of titles awarded per zonal so just assumed it was still as before.

heligan
11-11-2014, 01:03 PM
See here, sub-continental individual:
http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=173&view=article

Afitz
11-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Can anyone tell me who the main contact for Norths is please?

Gardiner Chess had planned into the CAQ calendar to move the Gold Coast Open to July 3-5 in order to better accomodate any juniors from the JETS who wished to play....obviously we need to avoid a clash in the GC Open and Zonal in order to maximise participation for both!

Max Illingworth
11-11-2014, 08:10 PM
northsydneychess@gmail.com

David Webster
21-11-2014, 07:34 AM
The clash was resolved thanks to the Gold Coast Open being moved a week earlier, thank you to the organisers of that event. The dates and venue of the 2015 Oceania Zonal are confirmed - it will be at Norths Leagues Club from 3rd-9th July.

ER
21-11-2014, 09:15 AM
The clash was resolved thanks to the Gold Coast Open being moved a week earlier, thank you to the organisers of that event. The dates and venue of the 2015 Oceania Zonal are confirmed - it will be at Norths Leagues Club from 3rd-9th July.

Fantastic news, thanks David. See you there!

exactly as a I had originally hoped! :)

If this is the case it will be great. Perfect venue and historically excellent organising. I hope I am back from Europe by then so I can have a few days of rest in Sydney and follow this event from close!

heligan
21-11-2014, 10:36 AM
if you can confirm that the Asian Chess Federation has agreed to the dates and withdrawn its request to change the dates to the first quarter, I can delete the 'not yet confirmed' on the NZ Calendar page...

lost
22-11-2014, 01:54 AM
if you can confirm that the Asian Chess Federation has agreed to the dates and withdrawn its request to change the dates to the first quarter, I can delete the 'not yet confirmed' on the NZ Calendar page...

Dates are confirmed heligan and this was confirmed by the FIDE Board.

lost

ER
23-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Dates (...) confirmed by the FIDE Board.

lost

Thanks Jamie!

lost
24-11-2014, 02:45 AM
Thanks Jamie!

My pleasure Elliott. I also look forward to most probably seeing you in the Australian Open in Sydney and also for this event as well.

lost

ER
24-11-2014, 07:38 PM
My pleasure Elliott. I also look forward to most probably seeing you in the Australian Open in Sydney and also for this event as well.

lost

Excellent Jamie. I am sure we will have the opportunity to meet socially during one or both of those events. So many things to discuss so many memories to share! BTW I have already organised accommodation and flights for the Oceania Zonal! Is there a selection process in regards to participation or is it an open event? whatever the case might be I presume you guys will announce it soon! Cheers!

lost
26-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Excellent Jamie. I am sure we will have the opportunity to meet socially during one or both of those events. So many things to discuss so many memories to share! BTW I have already organised accommodation and flights for the Oceania Zonal! Is there a selection process in regards to participation or is it an open event? whatever the case might be I presume you guys will announce it soon! Cheers!

Definitely a lot of opportunities to meet socially and discuss many things and share the memories for sure.

lost

ER
07-01-2015, 07:04 PM
As it was announced by the Norths Chess Club President Mr Paul Glissan earlier today before the start of Round 7 of the Australian Open Chess Championship:
Official dates of the Oceania Zonal 2015:
July 4-10 2015
to be held at Norths Chess Club!
I would like to enter this tournament, thanks in advance!

Adamski
07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
As it was announced by the Norths Chess Club President Mr Paul Glissan earlier today before the start of Round 7 of the Australian Open Chess Championship:
Official dates of the Oceania Zonal 2015:
July 4-10 2015
to be held at Norths Chess Club!
I would like to enter this tournament, thanks in advance!Good on you, though it might cost you a few dollars, Elliott! Also good to see you again, today.

ER
07-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Good on you, though it might cost you a few dollars, Elliott! Also good to see you again, today.

Hi Adamski, indeed, nice to see you too! As for the money I think participation in such a great event is worth the $s! :)

Alana
14-01-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm looking forward to this event :) I've never played a zonal before and I am chasing a (WCM) title :P

Leonkempen
15-01-2015, 02:53 PM
We have quite a few posts nearly 2 months ago resulting in confirmation of the dates being 3-9 July and now we have Elliott Renzies reporting that Paul Glissan has announced 4-10 July. Would appreciate "official confirmation" preferably with round times. Thanks.

David Webster
15-01-2015, 03:22 PM
We have quite a few posts nearly 2 months ago resulting in confirmation of the dates being 3-9 July and now we have Elliott Renzies reporting that Paul Glissan has announced 4-10 July. Would appreciate "official confirmation" preferably with round times. Thanks.

Due to unforseen circumstances with the venue, the event was moved back a day to 4th-10th July. The brochure and website will be available soon if you want something official.

The planned round times are:

Day 1, 4 July
Opening Ceremony - 12.30 pm
Round 1 - 2.00 pm

Day 2, 5 July
Round 2 - 10.30 am
Round 3 - 4.30 pm

Day 3, 6 July
Round 4 - 1 pm

Day 4, 7 July
Round 5 - 10.30 am
Round 6 - 4.30 pm

Day 5, 8 July
Round 7 - 1 pm

Day 6, 9 July
Round 8 - 1 pm

Day 7, 10 July
Round 9 - 10:30 am
Playoff if necessary - 4 pm
followed by Prizegiving

Leonkempen
15-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Thank you, David

MichaelBaron
15-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm looking forward to this event :) I've never played a zonal before and I am chasing a (WCM) title :P

You are certainly stronger than certain WIMs :)

AzureBlue
15-01-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm looking forward to this event :D I've never played a zonal before and I am chasing a (WCM) title :P

You are certainly stronger than certain WIMs :)
And certainly stronger than some WGMs even :P Some of these titled players are near the FIDE rating floor :D

Source: http://www.chessrating.info/statistics.php

Lowest rated:

GM = 2170
IM = 1839
WGM = 1868
FM = 1360
WIM = 1630
CM = 1305
WFM = 1274
WCM = 1084

Also surprising to see that the lowest rated FM is quite a bit lower than the lowest rated WIM :hmm:

MichaelBaron
16-01-2015, 12:07 AM
And certainly stronger than some WGMs even :P Some of these titled players are near the FIDE rating floor :D

Source: http://www.chessrating.info/statistics.php

Lowest rated:

GM = 2170
IM = 1839
WGM = 1868
FM = 1360
WIM = 1630
CM = 1305
WFM = 1274
WCM = 1084

Also surprising to see that the lowest rated FM is quite a bit lower than the lowest rated WIM :hmm:

Such is the nature of the soft titles :)

Garvinator
16-01-2015, 01:37 AM
1 kg of weetbix on sale at coles for about $5 atm btw.

Tony Dowden
28-01-2015, 07:57 AM
As posted before;

To obtain:

Thanks AzureBlue :)

Capablanca-Fan
28-01-2015, 01:36 PM

Well, at least Arthur Bisguier's GM title was not soft, since those who gained the title in the 1950s and 1960s deserved it, but he is 85 now.

AzureBlue
31-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Site is up: https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/home

Alana
31-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Site is up: https://sites.google.com/site/2015oceaniazonal/home

Thanks for sharing the link :)

ER
31-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jenny. I entered! :)

mishahu
31-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Hi all, please continue discussion of this tournament to the new thread http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15782-2015-Oceania-Zonal-Chess-Championships-OFFICIAL-ANNOUNCEMENT

Thanks