PDA

View Full Version : 2014 South Island Rapid Championship - Ashburton, Oct 12

Craig_Hall
20-08-2014, 07:06 PM
South Island Rapid Championship
Organised by the Ashburton Chess Club. A Class 3 event in the Poison Pawn Grand Prix.

When
Sunday, 12 October

Venue
The Ashburton Hotel (http://www.hotelash.co.nz/).

Tournament timetable
6 Round Swiss played as follows:

9.00am - 9.25am: Registration. Entries close at 9:25am
9.30am: Player's Meeting
9.45am: Round One
11.00am: Round Two
12.15pm: Round Three
Lunch Break: After Round Three
2.00pm: Round Four
3.15pm: Round Five
4.30pm: Round Six
Prize Giving will follow the completion of Round Six.

Time control
25 minutes per player, per game with a 5 second increment added from move 1.

Prize Fund
Guaranteed minimum of $400, which will scale up as entries allow. Additionally, the highest-placed South Island resident will be the South Island Rapid Champion.

Entry Fee
$50 or $25 for juniors (born on or after 1/1/94). Players must be registered with NZCF or pay $20 NZCF registration fee at the event. Players who also enter the South Island Championship may pay a combined entry fee of $130 or $60 for juniors. Entries will be accepted any time up to 9:25am on the day with no late fee, although players are encouraged to enter earlier.

Rating
NZCF Rapid-rated where possible.

South Island Rapid Championship Competition Rules
There may be rules where permissible within the current FIDE Laws of Chess (most likely around appeals and mobile phones), in which case this thread and elsewhere will be updated accordingly.

Director of Play is FA Craig Hall (me). To enter, or for more information, please view the Ashburton CC website/entry form (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~meljohn/SI%20Champs.html).

If anyone wants to carpool from Christchurch, please feel free to post in this thread and we will try to facilitate it.

Qbert
23-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Entries to date

Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald (ASH)
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Henrik Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Scott Wastney

Craig_Hall
01-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Entries to date:

Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Robin Wan
Bruce Gloistein
Henrik Nylund
Hamish Gold
Dan Dolejs
Scott Wastney
Del Robinson
George Aranui
Martin Rademacher

I believe GM Darryl Johansen is also intending entering this as well.

Qbert
07-10-2014, 07:36 AM
latest field 30 players:
Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Robin Wan
Bruce Gloistein
Henrik Nylund
Hamish Gold
Dan Dolejs
Daryl Johansen
Tim Rains
Edward Rains
Nigel Richardson
Scott Wastney
Del Robinson
George Aranui
Martin Rademacher
Jessica Pelayo
Ken Pow
Rex Scarf
John Sutherland
Jialin Guo

Craig_Hall
11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Info including Vega files are now available on the Canterbury Chess Club website - link is in my signature. Direct Vega link is http://www.chess.org.nz/Vega/wwwSouthIslandRapid2014/

Adamski
11-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Pleased to see Ken Pow playing. Perhaps he still lives in Ashburton. Another of us from Dunedin.

Craig_Hall
11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Pleased to see Ken Pow playing. Perhaps he still lives in Ashburton. Another of us from Dunedin.

Ken even still teaches at Ashburton College - he is actually the organiser of these events and is doing a great job.

Adamski
11-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Ken even still teaches at Ashburton College - he is actually the organiser of these events and is doing a great job.Nice one, Ken!

Craig_Hall
12-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Round 1 underway at 10am. Follow the results etc online as above.

Tony Dowden
12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Congratulations to my old Otago Chess Club mate John Sutherland for winning the South Island Rapid title!

MichaelBaron
13-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Congratulations to my old Otago Chess Club mate John Sutherland for winning the South Island Rapid title!

On behalf of Adamski, congratulations to all the prize winners, all the participants and organizers and all others who need to be congratulated and thanked

Craig_Hall
15-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Final results have been uploaded, naturally. There was a 4-way tie for 1st, but Ed Rains and John Sutherland are the joint SI Rapid champions (the other two players are not resident in the South Island).

U1900 prizes went to Ken Pow and Tim Rains and U1600 prizes went to Martin Rademacher and Ross Black. The junior/U1600 prizes went to Jessica Pelayo, Jialin Guo and Daniel Clarke.

Adamski
15-10-2014, 09:53 PM
On behalf of Adamski, congratulations to all the prize winners, all the participants and organizers and all others who need to be congratulated and thankedBut especially John from my old club the OCC!

MichaelBaron
15-10-2014, 11:04 PM
But especially John from my old club the OCC!

Of course, and good luck to all~