PDA

View Full Version : 2014 South Island Championships - Ashburton, Oct 8-11

Craig_Hall
20-08-2014, 06:18 PM
South Island Championships
Organised by the Ashburton Chess Club. This event is a Class 1 event in the Poison Pawn Grand Prix and also part of the Yuliglibar Think Big Oceania Grand Prix.

When
8 - 11 October (Wed - Sat) in Ashburton.

Venue
Ashburton Hotel (http://www.hotelash.co.nz/), 11 Racecourse Road, Ashburton.

Tournament timetable
8 Round Swiss with 2 rounds per day at 9:30am and 3pm. Players' meeting will be at 9am on the 8th, and prizegiving will be as soon as practical after the end of round 8 on the 11th.

Time control
90 mins per player, per game plus a 30 second increment added from move 1.

Prize Fund
Guaranteed minimum prize fund of $1000, which will scale up as entries allow. Additionally, the highest-placed South Island resident will be the South Island Champion. NZ Master points are on offer - 10 points for 1st, 6 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd and 1 for 4th.

Entry fee
$90, or $45 for juniors (born on or after 1/1/94). $20 late fee for entries received after September 30. NZ players must be NZCF-registered or pay the $20 NZCF registration fee with their entry. Players who also enter the South Island Rapid Championship may pay a combined entry fee of $130 or $60 for juniors.

Rating
The event will NZCF and FIDE-rated where possible. Non-NZ players must be registered with FIDE by their own federation.

South Island Championship Competition Rules
Default time is 30 minutes after the scheduled start of play, per NZCF Tournament Regulations.
There may be other rules where permissible within the current FIDE Laws of Chess (most likely around appeals, 1/2 point byes and mobile phones), in which case this thread and elsewhere will be updated accordingly.

Director of Play is FA Craig Hall (me). To enter, or for more information, please view the Ashburton CC website/entry form. (http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~meljohn/SI%20Champs.html).

Accommodation
Accommodation is available at the venue. Another option nearby (within walking distance) is the Bella Vista (http://staybellavista.co.nz/bella-vista-ashburton-motel).

Anyone who is interested in sharing accommodation and/or carpooling from Christchurch daily, please feel free to post in this thread and we will try to facilitate it.

Qbert
23-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Entries to date:
Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald (ASH)
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Keith Smith
Nigel Cooper
Helen Milligan
Bob Clarkson

Craig_Hall
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Entries to date:

Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Robin Wan
Bruce Gloistein
Henrik Nylund
Hamish Gold
Dan Dolejs
Keith Smith
Nigel Cooper
Helen Milligan
Bob Clarkson
Joe McKee
Max Lough
Alan Mulligan
Stewart Bennett

Also, GM Darryl Johansen is intending to enter.

Qbert
04-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Also, GM Darryl Johansen is intending to enter.

I've just heard that this is confirmed, and that Ashburton is waiving late entry fees in case this inspires anyone else to enter.

Qbert
07-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Latest field 30 players:
Quentin Johnson
Arie Nijman
Thomas Freeman-Greene
John MacDonald
Timothy Nylund
Micah Nylund
Ben Nylund
Vlad Barbu
Roy Keeling
Leighton Nicholls
Ross Black
Stephen Taylor
Robin Wan
Bruce Gloistein
Henrik Nylund
Hamish Gold
Dan Dolejs
Daryl Johansen
Tim Rains
Edward Rains
Nigel Richardson
Keith Smith
Nigel Cooper
Helen Milligan
Bob Clarkson
Joe McKee
Max Lough
Alan Mulligan
Stewart Bennett
Michael Stevenson

Adamski
07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I hope more enter and that the tournament in Ashburton (and indeed the Rapid following) is a big success.

Craig_Hall
07-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Entries and other info now available at www.chess.org.nz - link is to the left. Direct link to Vega info is here: http://www.chess.org.nz/Vega/wwwSouthIsland2014/. FM Stephen Lukey has entered! Also available on the website:

South Island Championship Competition Rules

Defaults: The default time is 30 minutes after the start of the round, per NZCF Regulations.
Appeals: A player may appeal against the decision of the Arbiter. An Appeals Committee will be elected at the Players Meeting of 3 members and 2 alternates. Appeals must be lodged in writing within 60 minutes of the end of the game. A fee of $50 will apply, to be refunded if the appeal is successful or otherwise at the discretion of the Appeals Committee.
Mobile Phones: During a game, players are forbidden to have a mobile phone, electronic means of communication or any device capable of suggesting chess moves on their person in the playing venue. Such devices may be stored in a player's bag, which is to be left at their table during the game unless permission is given by the Arbiter. Such devices are to be switched off and are not to make any noise. Breaches of this rule will result in loss of game unless the Arbiter decides otherwise.
Half-point Byes: Players may elect to take a half-point bye in any of one of the first four rounds. Please inform the Arbiter prior to the completion of the previous round. Players may not take more than one half-point bye in the tournament.

I have a DGT board from Canterbury Chess Club with me, and hope to get it working, but no guarantees!

Craig_Hall
08-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Sadly, I could not get the DGT board working (I blame the USB to Serial adapter as the rest of it worked OK last time I checked on a laptop with a serial port), so I have uploaded a selection of games instead (weblink in my signature or in the above post).

MichaelBaron
08-10-2014, 05:00 PM
I hope more enter and that the tournament in Ashburton (and indeed the Rapid following) is a big success.

Good luck to the tournament organizers

Adamski
08-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Great to see Arie is still playing. A former SI champion!

Craig_Hall
10-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Prize breakdown is now available on the website (see the link in my signature).

Funny moment - Darryl and Arie handed in their scoresheets, Arie first, and he had put the names the wrong way round, so it looked like he had won! Then Darryl handed his in, and the score was set right...

Adamski
10-10-2014, 10:08 AM
How old approximately is Arie now? I played him many times in CHCH, chiefly at blitz.... How is his health?

Tony Dowden
10-10-2014, 08:43 PM
How old approximately is Arie now? I played him many times in CHCH, chiefly at blitz.... How is his health?
About 120 with about 100 SI Ch'ps under his belt ;)

Capablanca-Fan
10-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Great to see Arie is still playing. A former SI champion!

Indeed so. I remember this affable old Dutchman from when I was a teen!

Tony Dowden
10-10-2014, 11:33 PM
More seriously, Arie has a played in a ridiculously large number of SI events (Craig probably has the stats). He must be about 80.

We've played many fascinating games over the years. He always looks for play of some sort or other and I found him a very difficult opponent for a very long time (probably because I didn't understand chess as well as he did).

CivicChessMan
11-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Arie Nijman is 85 years young. After 6 rounds, he is in 13th place with 3 wins and 3 losses.

Stephen Lukey and GM Darryl Johansen (AUS) lead the South Island with 5.5/6. They drew in round 4. Dan Dolejs and Edward Rains have 4.5 points.

Capablanca-Fan
11-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Arie Nijman is 85 years young. After 6 rounds, he is in 13th place with 3 wins and 3 losses.
Wow, I hope I can play like that when I reach 85.

Stephen Lukey and GM Darryl Johansen (AUS) lead the South Island with 5.5/6. They drew in round 4. Dan Dolejs and Edward Rains have 4.5 points.
Good for Flukey [his ChessChat handle].

Craig_Hall
11-10-2014, 07:18 AM
From memory, 2006 was Arie's 50th, so this is his 58th event.

Adamski
11-10-2014, 02:55 PM
From memory, 2006 was Arie's 50th, so this is his 58th event.A very impressive record which includes a first equal which I think gave Arie the title. And that was in his 80's.

CivicChessMan
11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Stephen Lukey is the South Island Champion with one round to play. In the final round, he has beaten Edward Rains to also win the tournament together with GM Darryl Johansen (AUS). They finish on 7.5 points. This is Lukey's seventh South Island Championship win. Congratulations.

Craig_Hall
11-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Prizes:

1st = GM Darryl Johansen and FM Stephen Lukey. Stephen was also the South Island Champion.
3rd = Quentin Johnson and WFM/CM Helen Milligan.

U2000 1st = Arie Nijman, Leighton Nicholls and Hamish Gold.

U1500 1st Robin Wan.
U1500 2nd = Max Lough and Keith Smith.

DD Smash Upset Prize Vlad Barbu for his win over Edward Rains in Round 1.

Adamski
11-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I can't help myself, Michael B. I have to congratulate the winners, especially Stephen L and evergreen / ever-young Arie N!