PDA

View Full Version : Palau send full teams to Tromso Olympiad

Brian_Jones
25-07-2014, 07:43 PM
See http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/historic-olympiad-journey-for-palau.html

MichaelBaron
26-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Wow, good luck! Hope they have fun. On the way back may be they can visit MCC and play our club in a match - its always nice to play against teams with catchy titles such as ''national team''.
Must be a great experience for teams like Palau to share stage with the heavy-weights like Russia, Ukraine or Armenia.

Tony Dowden
07-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Wow, good luck! Hope they have fun. On the way back may be they can visit MCC and play our club in a match - its always nice to play against teams with catchy titles such as ''national team''.
Must be a great experience for teams like Palau to share stage with the heavy-weights like Russia, Ukraine or Armenia.

Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you Michael. I experienced this kind of thing first-hand in Round 1 at the 1982 Lucerne Olympiad when I was on Board 4 in the Soviet Union vs New Zealand match. Clearly an utter mismatch from a sporting perspective but I'll never forget the occasion.

In the same vein it's so good to see that several Palau and Guam players will have the opportunity to play in the up-coming 2019 Oceania Zonal in Guam. I'm very much looking forward to my first zonal and meeting players I wouldn't normally get the chance to meet.

Gens una sumus :)

MichaelBaron
08-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Yes, I whole-heartedly agree with you Michael. I experienced this kind of thing first-hand in Round 1 at the 1982 Lucerne Olympiad when I was on Board 4 in the Soviet Union vs New Zealand match. Clearly an utter mismatch from a sporting perspective but I'll never forget the occasion.

In the same vein it's so good to see that several Palau and Guam players will have the opportunity to play in the up-coming 2019 Oceania Zonal in Guam. I'm very much looking forward to my first zonal and meeting players I wouldn't normally get the chance to meet.

Gens una sumus :)
Small lasted 47 moves against Karpov on board 1!