PDA

View Full Version : NZ At The Tromsø Olympiad 2014

heligan
14-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Request for Applications: Players
The NZCF is now inviting applications for the New Zealand Open and Women’s Teams to the 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad, which is scheduled to take place between 1st August and 14th August 2014 in Tromsø, in Norway. To apply you must complete the Application for Selection form and return it before the 28th February. Receipt of your application document will be confirmed by email. Selections (including up to three non-travelling reserves) will be announced on or before the 31st March.
See our Olympiad Page for more information and to download forms: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Olympiad2014/olympiad2014.html

ChrisBurns
20-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Just out of curiosity I looked at the application form and see that it requires passport information. What if someone wanted to apply but has not yet got a passport and would only get one if they were selected?

Keong Ang
20-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Just out of curiosity I looked at the application form and see that it requires passport information. What if someone wanted to apply but has not yet got a passport and would only get one if they were selected?

Applicants would fill out the application form with information that is available and leave blank where information is not available.
If selected, the applicant is expected to be able to travel to Tromsø and having a passport is obviously a required first step.

Once selected, a player agreement would need to be signed within time limits before the applicant is considered "selected". It should be noted that there are numerous clauses in the agreement that effectively subjects a player to sanctions. Not wanting to go after signing the agreement due to eg. inability to obtain passport would trigger all the nasty stuff. Effectively, it may be the last time the applicant is ever selected!

ER
25-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Not wanting to go after signing the agreement due to eg. inability to obtain passport would trigger all the nasty stuff. Effectively, it may be the last time the applicant is ever selected!
Relax mate, that's the New Zealand Olympic team you are talking about not North Korea!

heligan
25-02-2014, 01:25 PM
The Player Agreement is pretty strict and dropping out for no good reason after signing it definitely would be grounds for being excluded from future team events. Feel free to check it out on the NZ Olympiad page!

As for not having a passport - I can't really imagine many scenarios where someone who hadn't recently played overseas international events would be in with a chance of making the Open team...

Craig_Hall
26-02-2014, 05:47 PM
As for not having a passport - I can't really imagine many scenarios where someone who hadn't recently played overseas international events would be in with a chance of making the Open team...

Agreed - about the only relevant excuses I can think of would be a recently-expired passport (or insufficient time left on it to be able to travel on it), or a lost/stolen passport.

Kevin Bonham
26-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Thread title changed

... per request posted in feedback thread a few weeks back, to prevent confusion for users following via New Posts.

heligan
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
The Norwegian Chess Federation and the organisers of the 41st Chess Olympiad 2014 in the city of Tromsø have now issued an official invitation to all federations to participate in the event. This confirms the dates for the Olympiad as the 1st to 14th August, with the accompanying FIDE Congress taking place between the 5th and 13th August. The playing venue is 'Mackhallen,' the 7000 square metre site that was once an historic brewery in downtown Tromsø. All official hotels are within walking distance of the playing venue in the downtown area.

The provision of accommodation for the event looks very encouraging with 2 double and 2 single rooms being allocated for each team. Each federation is invited to send both an Open Team and a Women's Team. Other aspects of the organisation and logistics are detailed on the new event website, along with information on the city, history, and surrounding region: www.tromso2014.no.

It has also been noted that there is a possibility that teams may be eligible for some travel grants from the organisers, but this cannot be confirmed until NZCF has some more information about requirements for eligibility.

Here are a few of the rules that are particularly relevant: phones can't be taken in at all; there will be a 30-move rule; zero default time will be in operation; captains/players must stand behind their own players while watching games and can't go round to the other side of the board.

Ian_Rogers
03-03-2014, 03:34 PM
It would be more precise to say the Olympiad runs from August 1-15. August 1 is arrival day and August 15 is departure day.

heligan
19-03-2014, 08:23 AM
NZCF invites applications for the roles of Open Team Captain and Women's Team Captain for the 2014 Tromsø Olympiad. The job of Olympiad Team Captain is a non-paid role for NZCF. Team Captains will be responsible for their own travel costs and arrangements in the same way as players. They will receive free, full board for the duration of the Olympiad. They will also receive a share of contributions and fund-raising towards travel expenses on the same basis as players. Please download the application form from the Olympiad webpage: http://www.newzealandchess.co.nz/Olympiad2014/olympiad2014.html.
Completed application forms should be returned to NZCF President Paul Spiller (spillerfamily.enterprise@xtra.co.nz) no later than the 29th March.

CivicChessMan
19-03-2014, 10:30 AM
It has also been noted that there is a possibility that teams may be eligible for some travel grants from the organisers, but this cannot be confirmed until NZCF has some more information about requirements for eligibility.

According to the Tromsø Olympiad website, the countries eligible for funding should have been announced on 15th March. Nothing there so far. According to chess24.com "The Travel Fund is essentially aimed at developing countries, meaning countries in categories 3-5 according to the FIDE Development Commission (DC)". Does anyone know which category New Zealand is in?

heligan
19-03-2014, 10:42 AM
The list of travel subsidies is readily available on the FIDE site and elsewhere. I haven't added it to the NZ Olympiad page because it is not clear yet how many hoops we might need to jump through to get it. For the record, we're 'level 3' and the estimated subsidy per player (not captain) is given as US $ 1492. Certainly it will be necessary to provide receipts for air fares, so no-one in the team travelling from outside NZ is likely to get it, I'd guess. The official NZCF recommendation is not to assume this will be forthcoming - though of course, we are optimistic!

heligan
02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
New Zealand Teams for Tromsø 2014 Olympiad

The New Zealand Chess Federation is pleased to announce the following teams in board order for the 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad:

Open Team
1. IM Puchen Wang
2. IM Russell Dive
3. FM Luke Li
4. IM Anthony Ker
5. FM Ben Hague

Non-travelling reserves:
David Guthrie, FM Bob Smith, FM Stephen Lukey

Women's Team

1. WFM Helen Milligan
2. WIM Marany Flack
3. WFM Judy Gao
4. WFM Nicole Tsoi
5. Layla Timergazi

Non-travelling reserves:
WFM Vivian Smith, WFM Natasha Fairley, Evguenia Charomova

The number and quality of the applicants for the 2014 Olympiad has been exceptional and NZCF is pleased to be able to enter strong teams in both events. To those selected best wishes with your chess preparation and travel organisation, particularly those taking part in their first Olympiad. The selection of Team Captains is underway and will be announced in the next fortnight.

CivicChessMan
02-04-2014, 11:16 PM
The Open team has the following ranking on the New Zealand standard rating list: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th so looks like a strong team.

The reserve selection was initially surprising. Wonder if Nic Croad was available? But then I looked at David Guthrie's performance in the London Classic on www.fide.com. He scored 5.5 out of 9 (3 wins, 5 draws, 1 loss). He played five IMs, winning one, drawing three and losing one. The IMs had ratings of between 2380 and 2508. Impressive performance.

ChrisBurns
04-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Good to see Ker representing NZ once again, I think the last time was in 2006 in Turin. Also noteworthy is Layla Timergazi making the Women's team at the age of 13. Wellington club can be happy that 4 of it's members make up the teams.

lost
07-04-2014, 05:30 PM
It is very pleasing to see Layla make the team as this will be a great experience for her and will help improve her chess to be one of the leading female players in the country.

lost

Tony Dowden
28-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Were the board orders decided according to a set criterion/criteria?

If not, why is Luke Li on Bd 3 instead of Bd 2? (Surely he has consistently demonstrated his true strength for at least the last couple of years?) And why is Layla Timergazi on bottom board? (I don't know what is going on at cub level but isn't she the only NZ female who, over the last year, has been winning any games against strong opposition?)

New Zealand Teams for Tromsø 2014 Olympiad

The New Zealand Chess Federation is pleased to announce the following teams in board order for the 2014 Tromsø Chess Olympiad:

Open Team
1. IM Puchen Wang
2. IM Russell Dive
3. FM Luke Li
4. IM Anthony Ker
5. FM Ben Hague

Non-travelling reserves:
David Guthrie, FM Bob Smith, FM Stephen Lukey

Women's Team

1. WFM Helen Milligan
2. WIM Marany Flack
3. WFM Judy Gao
4. WFM Nicole Tsoi
5. Layla Timergazi

Non-travelling reserves:
WFM Vivian Smith, WFM Natasha Fairley, Evguenia Charomova

Vlad
28-04-2014, 08:44 AM
Luke's Fide rating (after Doebrel and SIO) is 2360 (+34), Russell's Fde rating (after Doebrel and SIO) is 2324 (-33).

In the last round of SIO Luke was unlucky to be given the only opponent on 5 who was not not strong enough for Luke to score the third IM norm. Anybody else, say Ari or Anton, and winning would give Luke the final norm.

Keong Ang
28-04-2014, 10:42 AM

If not, why is Luke Li on Bd 3 instead of Bd 2? (Surely he has consistently demonstrated his true strength for at least the last couple of years?) And why is Layla Timergazi on bottom board? (I don't know what is going on at cub level but isn't she the only NZ female who, over the last year, has been winning any games against strong opposition?)

Team selections including board order were based on set criteria.
I don't know (nor need to know) the reasoning behind the selectors recommendations.

AngeleCC
28-04-2014, 12:22 PM

....And why is Layla Timergazi on bottom board? (I don't know what is going on at cub level but isn't she the only NZ female who, over the last year, has been winning any games against strong opposition?)
If you played enough games, you would have more chance to beat stronger opposition. please check not only the opposition she won also the players she lost to...

GinoTHEstud
28-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Board orders can be chosen for other reasons. Like lining up opposition to go after norms, Olympiads offer great chances for norms.

But I hear what your saying Tony. Luke is clearly NZ's 2nd top active player

pax
28-04-2014, 09:20 PM

The NZ ratings of the women are: Gao 2057, Milligan 2049, Meyer (Flack) 2047, Tsoi 1982 and Timergazi 1957. Tsoi and Gao are both inactive for a couple of years as far as I can tell, so it looks like the selections are fairly consistent with ratings. As for Li vs Dive, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? It won't do NZ any harm to have such a strong player on board 3.

Vlad
28-04-2014, 09:39 PM
As for Li vs Dive, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? It won't do NZ any harm to have such a strong player on board 3.

Only if Russell survives on board 2.:)

heligan
29-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Team captains have been confirmed:
Open - Hilton Bennett
Women's - Peter Stuart

Tony Dowden
29-04-2014, 07:25 PM
The NZ ratings of the women are: Gao 2057, Milligan 2049, Meyer (Flack) 2047, Tsoi 1982 and Timergazi 1957. Tsoi and Gao are both inactive for a couple of years as far as I can tell, so it looks like the selections are fairly consistent with ratings. As for Li vs Dive, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? It won't do NZ any harm to have such a strong player on board 3.

Thanks pax. In the case of the women I was only thinking of their international ratings. (Mind you, if Gao and Tsoi are inactive, why did they get selected?)

Yes, hindsight is helpful but I though the same before Easter. I've got a lot of respect for Russell (who hasn't?) - but it's not as if Luke has suddenly started to perform recently. He's being playing at a high level in Australia for at least a couple of years. It may turn out to be very difficult to get norms on Bd 3.

Tony Dowden
29-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Board orders can be chosen for other reasons. Like lining up opposition to go after norms, Olympiads offer great chances for norms.

But I hear what your saying Tony. Luke is clearly NZ's 2nd top active player

I would have thought norms are more likely higher boards Gino

Tony Dowden
29-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Team selections including board order were based on set criteria.
I don't know (nor need to know) the reasoning behind the selectors recommendations.

Thank for the clarification Keong Ang

pax
29-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks pax. In the case of the women I was only thinking of their international ratings. (Mind you, if Gao and Tsoi are inactive, why did they get selected?)

I don't think many NZ events are FIDE rated, so using FIDE ratings probably doesn't make too much sense for the players who have not played overseas much. In fact, only five NZ women have active FIDE ratings and 22 have any FIDE rating at all. NZ doesn't have an activity criterion as far as I know, and if they did, they would probably be sending a very weak team.

ChrisBurns
30-04-2014, 12:38 PM
I think Judy Gao has been active, she recently drew with Nigel Short in a simul.

Craig_Hall
30-04-2014, 04:21 PM
I would have thought norms are more likely higher boards Gino

Tougher opposition at board 2, better scores at board 3 - could go either way. Luke may well play some games at board 2 because I doubt both Russell and Puchen will play every game unless they're both in the running for GM norms, in which case the team is probably doing well, and board 3 will get reasonable opposition anyway.

Adamski
30-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Team captains have been confirmed:
Open - Hilton Bennett
Women's - Peter StuartBoth are great choices for captains, though Peter's deafness could be an issue. His team, of course, will be wrll aware o this so it should not matter too much. Hilton is a much travelled and battle hardened player who I see every year at one event or more in Sydney. Both are all round nice guys! Good luck to both NZ teams.

Tony Dowden
07-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Tougher opposition at board 2, better scores at board 3 - could go either way. Luke may well play some games at board 2 because I doubt both Russell and Puchen will play every game unless they're both in the running for GM norms, in which case the team is probably doing well, and board 3 will get reasonable opposition anyway.

Sounds like a pretty convincing argument Craig. I must have been thinking of the Bd 4 dynamic, which only sometimes shifts up to Bd 3, and is where I've had my own past experience.

heligan
29-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Players and captains should take note of the faqs published on the official website, https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014. Please note in particular the advice about changing currency. Seems there is only one place in Tromso where you can change money (the Post Office) and it will ONLY take Euros or US dollars. You are advised to change money in Oslo or before you reach Norway.

Ian_Rogers
29-07-2014, 06:09 PM
This is a bit misleading - it is easy to get Norwegian cash from ATMs in Tromso, and probably at a better rate than changing $A or $NZ cash.

LNah
01-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Photos of team members (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152573354993750.1073741854.160832203749) representing NZ at the Chess Olympiad 2014 on fb. Description a bit brief as time went due to time. At the very least there's name, which team, board number + link to fide card.

If you think of stuff that I can add to descriptions for the pics, send me a private message. I may or may not add to the description. Can't remember how many + which previous olympiads they've been to etc.

CivicChessMan
02-08-2014, 09:09 AM
The Open team have been paired against 164th ranked Burundi in round 1 so should get off to a winning start. The Women's team, on the other hand, have an extremely tough opponent in 5th ranked India. India have an average rating of 2421 vs New Zealand's average of 1956. India's top player is GM Dronavalli Harika who has a 2521 rating.

Tony Dowden
02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
When did NZ last have their top ranked (active) players at an Olympiad? A wonderful 2300+ line-up! Go Kiwis :)

August FIDE rating list:
1 Wang, Puchen m NZL 2449
2 Li, Zuhao Luke f NZL 2365
3 Hague, Ben f NZL 2320
4 Dive, Russell John m NZL 2318
5 Ker, Anthony F m NZL 2316

CivicChessMan
02-08-2014, 08:26 PM
164 Burundi (BDI) - 75 New Zealand (NZL)
74.1 Ndikumana, Yves 2030 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
74.2 Nininahazwe, Tony 0 - IM Dive, Russell J 2318
74.3 Ntagasigumwami, Deo 1817 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316
74.4 Rwamavubi, Jean Bosco 0 - FM Hague, Ben 2320

72 New Zealand (NZL) - 5 India (IND)
5.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - IM Sachdev, Tanya 2418
5.2 WIM Meyer, Marany 2064 - IM Karavade, Eesha 2392
5.3 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - WGM Gomes, Mary Ann 2352
5.4 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - WGM Padmini, Rout 2318

LNah
03-08-2014, 12:00 AM
Live game links to board 1 of each. you can find other boards by scrolling through or looking at the multiboard link the bottom of each page.
Open Team
Live Board 1 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014open/1/74/1)
Team averages: Burundi 1924 - NZL 2351

Women's Team
Live Board 1 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014women/1/5/1)
Team Averages: NZL 1934 - India 2370

CivicChessMan
03-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Results went as expected with the Open team defeating Burundi 4-0 while the Women's team lost to India by the same score.

CivicChessMan
03-08-2014, 07:13 AM
The Open team meet 15th seed Poland in round 2. Poland have 5 GMs at their disposal with ratings from 2612 to 2735. Two players are in the top 100: GM Radoslaw Wojtaszek is ranked 23rd and GM Grzegorz Gajewski is ranked 89th. An extremely difficult challenge therefore.

The Women's team should have an easier task when they meet 125th ranked Cameroon. None of the Cameroonian players have a FIDE rating.

LNah
03-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Couple of pics just appeared on NZCF facebook page
Group photo of the NZ Open + Women Olympiad 2014 teams (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152360068613292&set=o.160832203749) and photo of the 2014 NZ Women Olympiad team (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/photos/a.180215543749.125626.160832203749/10152578382418750/)

Puchen Wang arriving at venue (http://en.chessbase.com/Portals/4/files/news/2014/events/olympiad/puchen01.jpg). Spot the other NZ players in that pic. I see at least 6, if not 7. Source: Olympiad First Impressions (http://en.chessbase.com/post/olympiad-first-impressions), Alejandro Ramirez for Chessbase. 2/8/14.

Round 1 72 New Zealand (NZL) - 5 India (IND)
Board 5.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - IM Sachdev, Tanya 2418 (http://en.chessbase.com/Portals/4/files/news/2014/events/olympiad/sachdev01.jpg). Source: Tromso: Round One (http://en.chessbase.com/post/tromso-round-one), Alejandro Ramirez for Chessbase. 2/8/14.

Ben Hague queueing to enter venue for Round 1 (https://plus.google.com/photos/+SusanPolgarChess/albums/6042997186855727169/6042998455115956930?pid=6042998455115956930&oid=116302832360230031699). Pic by Susan Polgar

CivicChessMan
03-08-2014, 06:59 PM
15 Poland (POL) - 75 New Zealand (NZL)
15.1 GM Gajewski, Grzegorz 2659 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
15.2 GM Duda, Jan-Krzysztof 2576 - IM Dive, Russell John 2318
15.3 GM Bartel, Mateusz 2640 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
15.4 GM Socko, Bartosz 2612 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316

125 Cameroon (CMR) - 73 New Zealand (NZL)
59.1 Magne, Sylviane Kouokam 0 - WIM Meyer, Marany 2064
59.2 Tchouateu, Tankeu Stephanie 0 - WFM Gao, Judy 1947
59.3 Ambade, Rosine Same 0 - WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787
59.4 Nga Tsimi, Ariane Erika 0 - Timergazi, Layla 1874

LNah
03-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Round 2 Boards
Open Team
Live Board 1 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014open/2/15/1)
Team average: Poland (POL) 2622 - New Zealand (NZL) 2362
Luke Li playing on board 3 while Ben Hague sits out this round.

Women's Team
Live Board 1 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014women/2/59/1)
Team Averages: Cameroon (CMR) 0 - New Zealand (NZL) 1918
Layla's Timergazi's 1st game at the Olympiad. Helen Milligan not playing this round.

CivicChessMan
04-08-2014, 05:59 AM
The Open team lost 3-1 to Poland but not without a fight. Puchen Wang and Luke Li drew their games. According to Stockfish, Wang had a decisive advantage of +2.38 when the game was drawn after repetition of position. Russell Dive got into difficulties after move 20 and lost. Although Li held a slight advantage for much of the game, it ended in a draw, also after repetition of position. After 36 moves, Stockfish declared no advantage to Anthony Ker or his opponent player in a R+P endgame. But black managed to grab the initiative in the next few moves for the win. As expected, the Women's team won convincingly against Cameroon by 4-0.

CivicChessMan
04-08-2014, 06:05 AM
The Open team will play 107th ranked Nigeria in round 3 while the Women's team have a tough encounter against 36th seed Lithuania.

Ben Hague comes in for Anthony Ker.

37.1 IM Wang, Puchen 2449 - IM Olape, Bunmi 2273
37.2 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - CM Kigigha, Bomo 2197
37.3 FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365 - FM Ajibowo, Olamide Patrick 2168
37.4 FM Hague, Ben 2320 - CM Balogun, Oluwafemi 2187

Helen Milligan comes in for Marany Meyer.

22.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WGM Daulyte, Deimante 2386
22.2 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - WIM Zaksaite, Salomeja 2170
22.3 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - WFM Domarkaite, Laima 2160
22.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Vanagaite, Giedre 2032

Lithuania beat NZ Women by 3.5 - 0.5 as expected. Nicole Tsoi drew with Laima Domarkite after the position was repeated three times.

A disappointing result for the Open team, losing 1.5 - 2.5 to Nigeria. Russell Dive and Ben Hague lost early on, Luke Li pulled one back but despite being a pawn up in a Q+5P vs Q+4P endgame, Puchen Wang had to settle for a draw after 87 moves.

CivicChessMan
05-08-2014, 05:45 AM
The Open team will meet their third African nation so far when they play 156th ranked Ghana in round 4 while the Women's team will play 78th ranked Guatemala.

GinoTHEstud
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
The Open team will play 107th ranked Nigeria in round 3 while the Women's team have a tough encounter against 36th seed Lithuania.

37.1 IM Wang, Puchen 2449 - IM Olape, Bunmi 2273
37.2 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - CM Kigigha, Bomo 2197
37.3 FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365 - FM Ajibowo, Olamide Patrick 2168
37.4 FM Hague, Ben 2320 - CM Balogun, Oluwafemi 2187

22.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WGM Daulyte, Deimante 2386
22.2 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - WIM Zaksaite, Salomeja 2170
22.3 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - WFM Domarkaite, Laima 2160
22.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Vanagaite, Giedre 2032

Lithuania beat NZ Women by 3.5 - 0.5 as expected. Nicole Tsoi drew with Laima Domarkite after the position was repeated three times.

A disappointing result for the Open team, losing 1.5 - 2.5 to Nigeria. Russell Dive and Ben Hague lost early on, Luke Li pulled one back but despite being a pawn up in a Q+5P vs Q+4P endgame, Puchen Wang had to settle for a draw after 87 moves.

Dive continuing his poor form. Lost 60 elos this year. Terrible.

Luke Li and Puchen need to play as much as possible. Getting Ghana is not helping for norm chances.

Adamski
05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Go Kiwis! And thanks to CCM for daily updates.

MichaelBaron
05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Dive continuing his poor form. Lost 60 elos this year. Terrible.

Luke Li and Puchen need to play as much as possible. Getting Ghana is not helping for norm chances.

Interesting that Luke (who has been playing a lot of chess in Melbourne and doing very well) is board 3 and Dive is board 2. May be it is the team strategy (some other teams do same) to put stronger players on lower boards.

Qbert
05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Interesting that Luke (who has been playing a lot of chess in Melbourne and doing very well) is board 3 and Dive is board 2. May be it is the team strategy (some other teams do same) to put stronger players on lower boards.

If you look back at the April FIDE ratings when the teams were announced it makes perfect sense, if less interesting:
Dive 2357 (and had been rising)
Li 2326 (and had been falling)

The future is always uncertain.

CivicChessMan
05-08-2014, 06:29 PM
New Zealand (NZL) - Ghana (GHA)
47.1 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - Hasford, John Kojo 2055
47.2 FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365 - Anquandah, Francis Eric 1963
47.3 IM Ker, Anthony F 2316 - Jamena, Joseph Mensah 0
47.4 FM Hague, Ben 2320 - Thompson, Edward Nii Lamptey 1854

Guatemala (GUA) - New Zealand (NZL)
57.1 Sotomayor, Silvia 0 - CM Milligan, Helen 1938
57.2 WIM Mencos, Claudia 2017 - WIM Meyer, Marany 2064
57.3 WCM Figueroa, Julissa 1833 - WFM Gao, Judy 1947
57.4 WIM Mencos, Maria 1808 - Timergazi, Layla 1874

Puchen Wang has a rest day so Anthony Ker is back in at board 3. Marany Meyer comes in for Nicole Tsoi.

LNah
05-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Round 4 Live Boards
Open: 76 New Zealand (NZL) 2330 - 156 Ghana (GHA) 1957 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014open/4/47/1)
Women's: 78 Guatemala (GUA) 1886 - 73 New Zealand (NZL) 1956 (https://chess24.com/en/olympiad2014/live/olympiad2014women/4/57/1)

Results overview for NZL federation teams: Open (http://chess-results.com/tnr140380.aspx?lan=1&art=20&fed=NZL&flag=30&wi=821) and Women's (http://chess-results.com/tnr140381.aspx?lan=1&art=20&fed=NZL&flag=30&wi=821) tournament.

Shaun Press's 2014 Olympiad facebook photo albums (one for each day) have a few with NZ players. Waiting for start of round 3: Open (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/posts/10152582731543750) + Women's (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/posts/10152582787913750) teams; Women's team during round 3 (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/posts/10152582724218750); Russell Dive + Anthony Ker waiting for R2 start (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/posts/10152582692533750);

Helen Milligan also took a few pics on her rest day. Women's team analysing a game (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/photos/a.180215543749.125626.160832203749/10152580658978750/) after round 2; Open team waiting for start of round 2: pic1 (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/photos/pcb.10152579850643750/10152579849313750/) + pic2 (https://www.facebook.com/NZChessFederation/photos/pcb.10152579850643750/10152579849418750/).

If anyone spots pics, commentaries/reports/vids on any NZ olympiad player, pl post it or message me the link so I can put it online. Thanks

CivicChessMan
06-08-2014, 03:13 AM
The NZ Open team got back on track winning 3.5 - 0.5 against Ghana. Russell Dive, Luke Li and Anthony Ker all won. Ben Hague should have made it a clean sweep but he overlooked a mate in 3. The Women's team drew 2 all with Guatemala. Helen Milligan and Marany Meyer drew, Judy Gao lost and Layla Timergazi won. After four rounds, the Open team has 4 points (10 game points) and the Women's team has 3 points (6.5 game points).

Open individual scores: Wang 2/3, Dive 2/4, Li 2.5/3, Ker 2/3 and Hague 1.5/3. Women's individual scores: Milligan 0.5/3, Meyer 1.5/3, Gao 1/4, Tsoi 1.5/3 and Timergazi 2/3.

CivicChessMan
06-08-2014, 05:49 AM
The Open team's round 5 opponent is 98th ranked Iraq. Iraq has an average rating of 2260 with one IM (board 2) and two FMs (boards 1 and 4). So far, Iraq have lost to Germany 0 - 4, won 4 - 0 against Cameroon, lost 0.5 - 3.5 to Chile and won 3.5 - 0.5 against Mauritius 3.5 - 0.5. Results as expected.

The Women's team's round 5 opponent is 88th ranked Jamaica. Jamaica has an average rating of 1860 with only one player over 2000 (board 1). So far, Jamaica have lost against Iran 0 - 4, drew 2 -2 with Namibia, won 4 - 0 against Sudan and lost 4 - 0 against Australia. Surprisingly held by Namibia who were beaten 3 - 1 by Sudan in round 4.

Davidflude
06-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Luke is going very well in Australia. He only just missed his third IM norm in the Sydney international. He plays at box Hill Chess Club where he is a very good club man.

hopefully he will get his third norm at the Olympiad.

Mr Buss
06-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Have to say the open team have got off to a pretty limp start with only Puchen and Luke Li playing well.
Ker Dive and Hague have all been performing at less than 2000 , with poor old Ben running at a performance rating of 1680.
Early days however and hopefully the guys can get it together put up a strong finish to the tournament

Craig_Hall
06-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Have to say the open team have got off to a pretty limp start with only Puchen and Luke Li playing well.
Ker Dive and Hague have all been performing at less than 2000 , with poor old Ben running at a performance rating of 1680.
Early days however and hopefully the guys can get it together put up a strong finish to the tournament

It's hard to get a good performance rating when the players you beat aren't rated, so it may be different once the event has finished and provisional ratings calculated.

Mr Buss
06-08-2014, 04:50 PM
It's hard to get a good performance rating when the players you beat aren't rated, so it may be different once the event has finished and provisional ratings calculated.

I would say in Anthony Ker's case thats a fair comment. To be fair , aside from losing to Gm Socko he has beaten whats been put in front of him.
Hague and Dive are not playing as well as they can, at this stage. this is the point.
Losing to 2100 guys and drawing with 1800s is what kills your performance, I doubt the unrated players they beat will end up having great provisional ratings.

Craig_Hall
06-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I would say in Anthony Ker's case thats a fair comment. To be fair , aside from losing to Gm Socko he has beaten whats been put in front of him.
Hague and Dive are not playing as well as they can, at this stage. this is the point.
Losing to 2100 guys and drawing with 1800s is what kills your performance, I doubt the unrated players they beat will end up having great provisional ratings.

Very much the truth, sadly. It's early days, but maybe more youth is the way to go next time.

CivicChessMan
06-08-2014, 06:56 PM
It's far too early to start rubbishing the performance of the Open team and singling out players. Other than the bump in the road against Nigeria, the team has performed as expected. NZ isn't the only team who have been surprised in the first four rounds. Ask Ukraine for example. Let's not forget that NZ actually went pretty close to drawing with 15th ranked Poland. Suggesting "more youth is the way to go next time" is all well and good but this has to be backed up by results. Currently Puchen Wang and Luke Li are the "youth" of the team. Other players need to show that they can compete at the highest level before they can be selected. That is a way off.

CivicChessMan
06-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Iraq (IRQ) - New Zealand (NZL)
43.1 FM Salih, Akar Ali Salih 2315 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
43.2 IM Noah, A .H. Al-Ali 2326 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
43.3 CM Mohammed, Zozek Salah Mohammed 2226 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316
43.4 FM Al-Khattab, Ghassan M. Ali Ajmed 2140 - FM Hague, Ben 2320

New Zealand (NZL) - Jamaica (JAM)
45.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WIM Richards-Porter, Deborah 2024
45.2 WIM Meyer, Marany 2064 - WCM Smith, Melisha 1747
45.3 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - Smith, Annesha 1768
45.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Gray, Krishna 1728

Russell Dive and Judy Gao take a rest day after playing 4 rounds in a row so Puchen Wang and Nicole Tsoi are back for the respective teams.

Mr Buss
06-08-2014, 08:03 PM
It's far too early to start rubbishing the performance of the Open team and singling out players. Other than the bump in the road against Nigeria, the team has performed as expected. NZ isn't the only team who have been surprised in the first four rounds. Ask Ukraine for example. Let's not forget that NZ actually went pretty close to drawing with 15th ranked Poland. Suggesting "more youth is the way to go next time" is all well and good but this has to backed up by results. Currently Puchen Wang and Luke Li are the "youth" of the team. Other players need to show that they can compete at the highest level before they can be selected. That is a way off.

Not rubbishing anyone
A couple of players are performing well, but a couple of players can play much better than they have been so far.
Nothing wrong with credit where it's due
It also just so happens that the young guys are leading the way.
Yes there's still a lot of chess to be played, and how we start isn't as important as how we finish

Capablanca-Fan
07-08-2014, 01:24 AM
It's far too early to start rubbishing the performance of the Open team and singling out players. Other than the bump in the road against Nigeria, the team has performed as expected. NZ isn't the only team who have been surprised in the first four rounds. Ask Ukraine for example. Let's not forget that NZ actually went pretty close to drawing with 15th ranked Poland. Suggesting "more youth is the way to go next time" is all well and good but this has to be backed up by results. Currently Puchen Wang and Luke Li are the "youth" of the team. Other players need to show that they can compete at the highest level before they can be selected. That is a way off.
Totally agree. IMs Dive and Ker, 26 years after their first Olympiad, are still evidently stronger than the younger players who were not selected, as their high ratings show. Players should be selected on strength alone, not age; if the younger players think they should be selected, then they should just go ahead and beat Dive and Ker and prove it!

CivicChessMan
07-08-2014, 04:04 AM
The Women's team have lost to Jamaica by 1-3. On board 4, Layla Timergazi trapped her opponent's Queen and won in 34 moves. Unfortunately, the other games were all lost. This leaves NZ on 3 points after 5 rounds.

The Open team have drawn with Iraq. Despite being ranked 23 places below NZ, Iraq was never going to be a pushover and so it proved. On board 1, Puchen Wang won to maintain his unbeaten reocrd (+2 =2) but on board Luke Li lost his game and his unbeaten record. Ben Hague won on board 4 while on board 3, Anthony Ker played 111 moves before finally succumbing in a R+P vs R+2P endgame. The Open team has a 50% score after 5 rounds and a 60% game score.

Open individual scores: Wang 3/4, Dive 2/4, Li 2.5/4, Ker 2/4 and Hague 2.5/4, Women's individual scores: Milligan 0.5/4, Meyer 1.5/4, Gao 1/4, Tsoi 1.5/4 and Timergazi 3/4.

CivicChessMan
07-08-2014, 08:39 AM
The Open team meet the 83rd ranked Dominican Republic on Friday in round 6. The average rating is 2324 and their team has 1 IM and 2 FMs. Results for the Dominican Republic so far are: 3-1 vs Oman, 1-3 vs Macedonia, 3.5-0.5 vs Puerto Rico, 0.5-3.5 vs Egypt and 2-2 vs Singapore.

The Women's team meet 117th ranked Aruba in round 6. Since their top two boards have no FIDE rating, the average rating is meaningless. Results for Aruba so far are: 0-4 vs Brazil, 0-4 vs Jordan, 1-3 vs Botswana, 2.5-1.5 vs Palau and 2.5-1.5 vs Honduras.

Round 6 will be played on Friday as today is a rest day.

CivicChessMan
08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Dominican Republic (DOM) - New Zealand (NZL)
44.1 IM Munoz Santana, Jose Lisandro 2438 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
44.2 FM Puntier Andujar, William Staling 2333 - IM Dive, Russell John 2318
44.3 FM Abreu Jean, Carlos Paul 2286 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
44.4 Michelen Rodriguez, Victor Isaac 2239 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316

Aruba (ARU) - New Zealand (NZL)
52.1 Dania, Manuelle S. 0 - WIM Meyer, Marany 2064
52.2 Caton, Stacey 0 - WFM Gao, Judy 1947
52.3 Arbona Avila, Zaily M. 1526 - WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787
52.4 WCM Jacobs, Annelaine 1680 - Timergazi, Layla 1874

The Women's team have beaten Aruba 3-1 with Meyer, Gao and Timergazi all winning. This moves NZ up to 5 points. Layla Timergazi continues to shine with 4/5.

Puchen Wang has just drawn his game after 90 moves to give the Open team an excellent 3.5-0.5 victory over the Dominican Republic. Luke Li won quite early, in 27 moves, to give NZ the lead. Anthony Ker took the advantage after 23 moves and eventually won in a R+P endgame. It looked a bit grim for Russell Dive after 47 moves at -3.53 but he grabbed the advantage at move 51. At move 60, it was back to equal but Black blundered on move 61 and Dive won after 73 moves. Wang fought tooth and nail to get a draw. A slight disadvantage at move 16 (-0.40) grew to be a significant one at move 55 (-4.54) but an error on move 63 gave Wang the possibility of a draw. After 6 rounds the Open team have 7 points.

Open: Wang 3.5/5 (unbeaten), Dive 3/5, Li 3.5/5, Ker 3/5 and Hague 2.5/4. Women: Milligan 0.5/4, Meyer 2.5/5, Gao 2/5, Tsoi 1.5/5 and Timergazi 4/5.

GinoTHEstud
09-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Yes, great result indeed!

CivicChessMan
09-08-2014, 09:43 AM
The Open team meets 51st ranked Switzerland in round 7. The Swiss team is a strong one consisting of 2 GMs and 3 IMs. Their results so far are: 4-0 vs Jersey (137), 3-1 vs Costa Rica (70), 2-2 vs Vietnam (31), 1.5-2.5 vs Belgium (44), 2.5-1.5 vs Slovakia (36) and 05-3.5 vs Ukraine (2).

The Women's team will meet Norway's third team who are ranked 91st. The Norwegians have an average rating of 1821. Their results so far are: 0-4 vs Argentina (24), 2.5-1.5 vs Portugal (84), 2-2 vs Macedonia (65), 2-2 vs Costa Rica (86), 0-4 vs Canada (45) and 2-2 vs Dominican Republic (90).

Tony Dowden
09-08-2014, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=CivicChessMan;381780]
... Open: Wang 3.5/5 (unbeaten), Dive 3/5, Li 3.5/5, Ker 3/5 and Hague 2.5/4 ...QUOTE] Good to see the men are picking it up after a patchy start (albeit in a fiercesomely tough environment). Also great to see Layla's live rating is already close to 1900.

Tony Dowden
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
... Open: Wang 3.5/5 (unbeaten), Dive 3/5, Li 3.5/5, Ker 3/5 and Hague 2.5/4 ... and Timergazi 4/5 Good to see the men are picking it up after a patchy start (in a fiercesomely tough environment of course). Also great to see Layla's live rating is already close to 1900.

CivicChessMan
09-08-2014, 05:46 PM
The Open team are 50th=, 59th after tiebreak while the Women's team are 80th=, 91st after tiebreak.

CivicChessMan
09-08-2014, 08:03 PM
New Zealand (NZL) - Switzerland (SUI)
32.1 IM Wang, Puchen 2449 - GM Gallagher, Joseph G. 2473
32.2 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - IM Hug, Werner 2474
32.3 FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365 - IM Georgiadis, Nico 2448
32.4 FM Hague, Ben 2320 - IM Kurmann, Oliver 2423

New Zealand (NZL) - Norway 3 (NOR3)
46.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - Skytte, Torill 1991
46.2 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - Kyrkjebo, Hanna B. 1756
46.3 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - Rodsmoen, Maud 1805
46.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Jacobsen, Elise Sjottem 1697

CivicChessMan
10-08-2014, 07:46 AM
It was a disappointing day for NZ as both teams lost. The Open team went down 0.5-3.5 to Switzerland and the Women's team lost 1-3 to Norway 3.

Puchen Wang maintains his unbeaten record with a draw with GM Gallagher in an even contest throughout. Russell Dive appeared to be drawing his B+3P vs B+3P endgame until move 66. Ke6 looked reasonable enough but it eventually allowed his opponent's bishop to take control and win the game. Luke Li must be regretting his b-pawn grab on move 22. The pawn was poison and allowed his opponent to seize a decisive advantage. Li resigned just 4 moves later. Ben Hague exchanged N+B for R+P but his opponent's bishop pair proved too strong.

Helen Milligan drew her game on board 1 as did Layla Timergazi on board 4. Timergazi somehow snatched a draw after being -8.66 after 20 moves. Her opponent overlooked a combination winning Timergazi's queen and she hung in there, getting a draw in 51 moves. Judy Gao and Nicole Tsoi both lost.

Open individual scores: Wang 4/6, Dive 3/6, Li 3.5/6, Ker 3/5 and Hague 2.5/5, Women's individual scores: Milligan 1/5, Meyer 2.5/5, Gao 2/6, Tsoi 1.5/6 and Timergazi 4.5/6.

CivicChessMan
10-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Another tough encounter in round 8 for the Open team in the shape of 48th ranked Paraguay. NZ played Paraguay in Istanbul two years ago, losing 4-0. Paraguay have 3 GMs and 2 FMs in their team and an average rating of 2506. Their results so far are: 4-0 vs Malawi (134), 2-2 vs Greece (25), 3-1 vs ICCD (74), 0.5-3.5 vs Vietnam (31), 2.5-1.5 vs Colombia (64), 1-3 vs USA (6) and 1-3 vs Turkey (26).

The Women's team meet 103rd ranked Trinidad and Tobago who have an average rating of 1652. Their results so far are: 0.5-3.5 vs Lithuania (36), 4-0 vs Palau (110), 2-2 vs Japan (100), 0-4 vs Paraguay (75), 1-3 vs UAE (95), 3-1 vs Seychelles (121) and 0.5-3.5 vs Macedonia (65).

Paraguay (PAR) - New Zealand (NZL)
44.1 GM Bachmann, Axel 2644 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
44.2 GM Delgado Ramirez, Neuris 2602 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
44.3 GM Cubas, Jose Fernando 2455 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316
44.4 FM Vazquez, Guillermo 2323 - FM Hague, Ben 2320

Anthony Ker replaces his Wellington clubmate Russell Dive.

Trinidad & Tobago (TTO) - New Zealand (NZL)
54.1 WCM Smith, Javanna 1747 - CM Milligan, Helen 1938
54.2 WCM Soondarsingh, Aditi 1747 - WIM Meyer, Marany 2064
54.3 Johnson, Gabriella 1634 - WFM Gao, Judy 1947
54.4 Rahaman, Najarah 1478 - Timergazi, Layla 1874

Marany Meyer replaces Nicole Tsoi.

CivicChessMan
11-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Paraguay whitewashed NZ 4-0 in round 8 with Puchen Wang losing his unbeaten record. There was much better news for the Women's team as they defeated Trinidad and Tobago by 3.5-0.5. Helen Milligan, Marany Meyer and Layla Timergazi all won while Judy Gao drew.

After eight rounds, the Open team and Women's team have 7 points apiece. Open team are 103rd=, 109th after tiebreak and the Women's team are 79th=, 91st after tiebreak.

Open scores: Wang 4/7, Dive 3/6, Li 3.5/7, Ker 3/6 and Hague 2.5/6, Women's individual scores: Milligan 2/6, Meyer 3.5/6, Gao 2.5/7, Tsoi 1.5/6 and Timergazi 5.5/7.

CivicChessMan
11-08-2014, 05:15 AM
The Open team play 108th ranked Lebanon in round 9. Lebanon have 4 FMs and an average rating of 2206. Results so far: 1-3 vs Peru (22), 3-1 vs Liechtenstein (121), 2-2 vs Luxembourg (81), 3-1 vs Malta (118), 1-3 vs Moldova (45), 0.5-3.5 vs Slovakia (36), 0.5-3.5 vs Jordan (87) and 3-1 vs San Marino (133).

The Women's team play 102nd ranked Uganda. Uganda's highest rated player is on board 3 with rating of 1803. Results so far: 0-4 vs Croatia (35), 1-3 vs Malaysia (78), 3-1 vs Palestine (123), 1-3 vs South Africa (93), 2-2 vs Netherlands Antilles (107), 3-1 vs Sudan (134), 1-3 vs Albania (80) and 2.5-1.5 vs Kenya (118).

New Zealand (NZL) - Lebanon (LIB)
55.1 IM Wang, Puchen 2449 - FM Kassis, Antoine 2157
55.2 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - FM El Jawich, Amro 2186
55.3 IM Ker, Anthony F 2316 - FM Chahrour, Ibrahim 2170
55.4 FM Hague, Ben 2320 - Bassel, Charaf 2160

Anthony Ker replaces Luke Li who has played the last 7 rounds.

Uganda (UGA) - New Zealand (NZL)
43.1 Angolikin, Goretti 0 - CM Milligan, Helen 1938
43.2 Namaganda, Christine 1536 - WIM Meyer, Marany 2064
43.3 WCM Amoko, Ivy Claire 1803 - WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787
43.4 WCM Mutesi, Phiona 1632 - Timergazi, Layla 1874

Nicole Tsoi replaces Judy Gao.

CivicChessMan
12-08-2014, 06:49 AM
The Women's team were heading for a 3.5-0.5 win over Uganda but Layla Timergazi went astray in a winning position and lost. Nicole Tsoi took control of her game as early as move 11, had a huge advantage of 7.33 (stockfish) by move 15 but then allowed her opponent to gradually get back into the game. By move 40 the position had equalized in a 2R+3P endgame. But fortunately, Tsoi's opponent misplayed the endgame and lost. Marany Meyer won comfortably on board 2 and Helen Milligan drew on board 1. So a narrow win by 2.5-1.5 but two points is two points.

The Open team were favourites to beat Lebanon but in the end had to settle for a disappointing 2-2 draw. Puchen Wang won in 26 moves. Russell Dive lost a pawn in the opening and wasn't able to salvage the draw. Anthony Ker and Ben Hague both drew their games.

So after 9 rounds and with just 2 rounds to play, the Open team are in 97th= place, 104th on tiebreak with 8 points. The Women's team are in 59th= place, 76th on tiebreak with 9 points.

Open scores: Wang 5/8, Dive 3/7, Li 3.5/7, Ker 3.5/7 and Hague 3/7, Women's scores: Milligan 2.5/7, Meyer 4.5/7, Gao 2.5/7, Tsoi 2.5/7 and Timergazi 5.5/8.

CivicChessMan
12-08-2014, 07:10 AM
In the penultimate round, the Open team will play 128th ranked Nepal. The Nepalese team have 2 FMs and an average rating of 2062. Their performance ratings are quite a bit higher though. Strangely enough, their highest rated player is playing is number five in the team and has a score of 5.5/9 and a rating of 2209. Nepal's results so far: 0-4 vs Bosnia & Herzegovina (42), 3.5-0.5 vs Guam (160), 2.5-1.5 vs Mongolia (59), 4-0 vs Haiti (157), 3-1 vs Trinidad & Tobago (116), 0-4 vs Uruguay (84), 0-4 vs Estonia (82), 1.5-2.5 vs IPCA (94) and 3-1 vs Kuwait (135).

It's a trans-Tasman clash for the women. Australia have 1 IM, 2 WIMs and 1 WFM in their side with an average rating of 2110 so NZ will go into the match as underdogs. NZ teams have been in that position before so the Aussies beware. Australia's results so far: 4-0 vs Kenya (118), 1-3 vs Ukraine (3), 2-2 vs Monaco (82), 4-0 vs Jamaica (88), 1.5-2.5 vs Latvia (25), 1.5-2.5 vs England (39), 1-3 vs Serbia (15) and 1.5-2.5 vs Kyrgystan (72).

GinoTHEstud
12-08-2014, 07:40 AM
In the penultimate round, the Open team will play 128th ranked Nepal. The Nepalese team have 2 FMs and an average rating of 2062. Their performance ratings are quite a bit higher though. Strangely enough, their highest rated player is playing is number five in the team and has a score of 5.5/9 and a rating of 2209. Nepal's results so far: 0-4 vs Bosnia & Herzegovina (42), 3.5-0.5 vs Guam (160), 2.5-1.5 vs Mongolia (59), 4-0 vs Haiti (157), 3-1 vs Trinidad & Tobago (116), 0-4 vs Uruguay (84), 0-4 vs Estonia (82), 1.5-2.5 vs IPCA (94) and 3-1 vs Kuwait (135).

It's a trans-Tasman clash for the women. Australia have 1 IM, 2 WIMs and 1 WFM in their side with an average rating of 2110 so NZ will go into the match as underdogs. NZ teams have been in that position before so the Aussies beware. Australia's results so far: 4-0 vs Kenya (118), 1-3 vs Ukraine (3), 2-2 vs Monaco (82), 4-0 vs Jamaica (88), 1.5-2.5 vs Latvia (25), 1.5-2.5 vs England (39), 1-3 vs Serbia (15) and 1.5-2.5 vs Kyrgystan (72).

Very Dissapointing so far.

Capablanca-Fan
12-08-2014, 08:57 AM
The Open team were favourites to beat Lebanon but in the end had to settle for a disappointing 2-2 draw. Puchen Wang won in 26 moves. Russell Dive lost a pawn in the opening and wasn't able to salvage the draw.
Certainly not like Dive to fall for an opening trap. I've not seen him play the Philidor before, and Dive probably would have outplayed his opponent with his usual Alekhine or Petrov defense.

El Jawich, Amro (FM) 2186 – Dive, Russell John, (IM) 2318
1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 Nd7 4. Bc4 Be7? 5. dxe5 Nxe5 [5... dxe5?? 6. Qd5 {with no good defense to f7}] 6. Nxe5 dxe5 7. Qh5 g6 8. Qxe5 {with good compensation for the extra pawn. Black put up stiff resistance but it was too late; 1-0 42}

CivicChessMan
12-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Congratulations to Layla Timergazi whose performance has earned her the WCM title. She is also in the top 100 players based on points.

CivicChessMan
12-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Nepal (NEP) - New Zealand
53.1 FM Hamal, Manish 2068 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
53.2 Rajbhandari, Rijendra 2061 - IM Dive, Russell John 2318
53.3 Maharjan, Sajin 1980 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
53.4 CM Shrestha, Keshav 2137 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316

Luke Li replaces Ben Hague.

New Zealand (NZL) - Australia (AUS)
30.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2165
30.2 WIM Meyer, Marany 2064 - WIM Guo, Emma 2044
30.3 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - WIM Dekic, Biljana N. 2048
30.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Yu, Sally 1953

Judy Gao replaces Nicole Tsoi.

Tony Dowden
12-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Nepal (NEP) - New Zealand
53.1 FM Hamal, Manish 2068 - IM Wang, Puchen 2449
53.2 Rajbhandari, Rijendra 2061 - IM Dive, Russell John 2318
53.3 Maharjan, Sajin 1980 - FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365
53.4 CM Shrestha, Keshav 2137 - IM Ker, Anthony F 2316

Luke Li replaces Ben Hague.

New Zealand (NZL) - Australia (AUS)
30.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WFM Nguyen, Thu Giang 2165
30.2 WIM Meyer, Marany 2064 - WIM Guo, Emma 2044
30.3 WFM Gao, Judy 1947 - WIM Dekic, Biljana N. 2048
30.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Yu, Sally 1953

Judy Gao replaces Nicole Tsoi.

Go Kiwis :cool:

CivicChessMan
13-08-2014, 04:18 AM
The Open team have beaten Nepal 3.5-0.5. Puchen Wang won comfortably on board 1. The advantage went back and forth in Russell Dive's game with a draw being the final result. Luke Li was clearly winning after White's 42nd move (8.28 stockfish) only to give his opponent the advantage on the next move. After 48 moves it was R+3P vs R+3P endgame but White had a passed pawn and Li had doubled pawns. White then moved his King up the board and promptly walked into a mate in 1! Anthony Ker also won comfortably on board 4. A good victory although the final score could have been closer. NZ has 10 points (21 game points) for 75th=, 88th after tiebreak. Individual scores: Wang 6/9, Dive 3.5/8, Li 4.5/8, Ker 4.5/8 and Hague 3/7.

In the trans-Tasman clash, Australia took a convincing 3.5-0.5 victory over the NZ Women. The top three boards all lost while Layla Timergazi battled away for a draw. That draw was enough to give her the WFM title. Congratulations. NZ has 9 points (18 game points) for 80th=, 90th after tiebreak. Individual scores: Milligan 2.5/8, Meyer 4.5/8, Gao 2.5/8, Tsoi 2.5/7 and Timergazi 6/9.

CivicChessMan
13-08-2014, 07:10 AM
In the final round on Thursday, the Open team play 120th ranked Sri Lanka. They have an average rating of 2112 with 1 FM and 2 CMs. Board 2 has a score of 6/8 and all the team are preforming above their ratings. Results so far: 1-3 vs Sweden (34), 3-1 vs Honduras (125), 1-3 vs Scotland (66), 3-1 vs Malawi (134), 1.5-2.5 vs Venezuela (61), 4-0 vs Afghanistan (138), 2.5-1.5 vs Jamaica (122), 0-4 vs Finland (56), 1-3 vs Bangladesh (55) and 3-1 vs Brunei (140).

The Women's team meet 79th ranked Nicaragua. Their team has 2 WFMs and 1 WIM with an average rating of 1917. Boards 1, 2 and 4 all have a score of 6/10. Results so far: 1-3 vs Spain (11), 3-1 vs South Africa (93), 1-3 vs Moldova (44), 4-0 vs Nepal (100), 1.5-2.5 vs Bolivia (71), 4-0 vs Ethiopia (122), 2-2 vs Lebanon (60), 1.5-2.5 vs Albania (80), 1.5-2.5 vs Austria (34) and 1-3 vs Norway 2 (62).

CivicChessMan
14-08-2014, 07:22 AM
No changes for the Open team vs Sri Lanka.

New Zealand (NZL) - Sri Lanka (SRI)
47.1 IM Wang, Puchen 2449 - FM Kurukulasuriya, Prasanna 2063
47.2 IM Dive, Russell John 2318 - CM Galappaththi, Chinthaka Anuruddh 2125
47.3 FM Li, Zuhao Luke 2365 - CM Perera, W C C 2081
47.4 IM Ker, Anthony F 2316 - Alahakoon, Isuru 2120

New Zealand (NZL) - Nicaragua (NCA)
40.1 CM Milligan, Helen 1938 - WFM Madrigal, Ana Daniela 1986
40.2 WIM Meyer, Marany 2064 - WFM Mendieta, Kathya 1877
40.3 WFM Tsoi, Nicole 1787 - WIM Granados, Maria 1899
40.4 Timergazi, Layla 1874 - Alarcon, Pamela 1906

Nicole Tsoi replaces Judy Gao. Layla Timergazi plays her 10th game in a row.

Adamski
14-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Hearty congrats to Layla on her WFM title and excellent performance!

Desmond
14-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Gotta be happy with that draw - huge rating advantage on every board in each of the final 2 rounds.

CivicChessMan
15-08-2014, 03:33 AM
A dramatic finish for the Open team in round 11. New Zealand seemed to be heading for victory after Puchen Wang won and Russell Dive drew. The advantage went back and forth on board 3 but Luke Li's 44. c6 swung the pendulum firmly towards his opponent and the game was lost. Anthony Ker battled away and after 39 moves, the position was dead even. Ker then took control and had a winning position at move 50. But moving his rook off the 7th rank a move later allowed his opponent to play f7 with a forced mate to follow. Sri Lanka win 2.5-1.5. New Zealand finish 97th=, 98th on tiebreak with 10 points.

Individual scores with performance ratings in brackets: Wang 7/10 (2463), Dive 4/9 (2171), Li 4.5/9 (2277), Ker 4.5/9 (2199) and Hague 3/7 (2103). An excellent performance for Wang. He finished 57th according to points and 85th according to percent. Li started well but faded in the second half of the tournament. Dive, Ker and Hague were all below their best.

It was much better news for the Women's team. They had an excellent victory over Nicaragua by 3-1. Nicole Tsoi set the ball rolling winning in just 13 moves. Helen Milligan was better for the first 30 moves then it was her opponent's turn to have the upper hand. Milligan fought back to equalise and the game was drawn. Marany Meyer's game was even throughout and also ended in a draw. Layla Timergazi won a pawn in the opening and this proved decisive in a long game lasting 88 moves. New Zealand with 11 points, finish 61st=, 74th on tiebreak which is incidentally their initial ranking.

Individual scores with performance ratings in brackets: Milligan 3/9 (1883), Meyer 5/9 (1911), Gao 2.5/8 (1719), Tsoi 3.5/8 (1787) and Timergazi 7/10 (1888). Timergazi had a outstanding performance in her first Olympiad. She finished 63rd according to points and 86th according to percent. She won first the WCM title and then upgraded that to WFM. It's never easy on board 1. Seven of Milligan's opponents were rated higher. Meyer had an upset loss against Jamaica but had a reasonable tournament. Gao was well below her best, perhaps due in part to lack of recent tournament play. Tsoi had a bad patch in the middle rounds but rallied to win against two higher rated opponents.

Adamski
15-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Disappointed in the men (except Wang) but the women did ok.

GinoTHEstud
15-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Disappointed in the men (except Wang) but the women did ok.

Very poor performance indeed.

Agent Smith
15-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Being there would have been an awesome experience.

[Event "41st Olympiad Women 2014"]
[Site "Tromso NOR"]
[Date "2014.08.10"]
[Round "8.54"]
[White "Smith, Javanna"]
[Black "Milligan, Helen"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1747"]
[BlackElo "1938"]
[ECO "C77"]
[EventDate "2014.08.02"]
[Board "1"]
[WhiteTitle "WCM"]
[BlackTitle "CM"]
[Opening "Ruy Lopez"]
[Variation "Anderssen variation"]
[WhiteTeam "Trinidad & Tobago"]
[BlackTeam "New Zealand"]
[WhiteFideId "7700466"]
[BlackFideId "2401312"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.d3 d6 6.O-O g6 7.Nc3 Bg7 8.a3 O-O 9.Ne2 Bg4 10.Bxc6 bxc6 11.Ng3 c5 12.h3 Bd7 13.Be3 Rb8 14.Qc1 Qe7 15.c4 Rb3 16.Nd2 Rb7 17.Qc3 Rfb8 18.Rfb1 Ne8 19.Nf3 f5 20.Bg5 Qf7 21.Bc1 Rb3 22.Qd2 f4 23.Ne2 h6 24.Qd1 g5 25.Nh2 Nf6 26.Nc3 h5 27.Nd5 Nxd5 28.cxd5 c6 29.dxc6 Bxc6 30.g4 Bb5
( 30...fxg3 31.fxg3 Bxe4 32.dxe4 Rxg3+ 33.Kh1 Qf2 34.Qf1 Qc2 35.Nf3 Qxe4 36.b3 Rf8 37.Qc4+ Qxc4 38.bxc4 Rfxf3 )
31.a4 Bxd3 32.f3 d5 33.exd5 Qxd5 34.gxh5 Qd4+ 35.Kg2 e4 36.h6 Be5
( 36...exf3+ 37.Nxf3 Be4 38.h7+ Kxh7 39.Qxd4 Bxd4 40.Kf1 Rxf3+ 41.Ke2 Re8 )
37.h7+ Kxh7 38.h4 exf3+ 39.Kh1 Bxb1 0-1

Mr Buss
15-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Pooch showed he was a class above the rest of New Zealand.
Good experience gained by Layla Timergazi , getting a woman's Fide master title for her efforts.
Otherwise a pretty mediocre showing all round

LNah
15-08-2014, 05:04 PM
I think all members of the NZ open or women's team entered the olympiad wishing to do their best, as do most, if not all ppl in their tournaments. It is also worth noting the open team consists of the top 5 ppl in the NZ Fide ranking (http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=NZL) and looking at the NZ Fide Rankings thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15253-NZ-FIDE-ratings), have been in the top 6 since March this year. According to the latest NZCF ratings list they are in the the top 7 NZ active players.

For Womens, there's only 5 players listed in the FIDE list of active women players. Top 3 are in the team (Marany Meyer, Helen Milligan + Layla Timergazi). According to the NZCF July ratings, they are the top 5 women too.

So let's try to be constructive in your criticism.

CivicChessMan
15-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Since the Olympiad was reduced to 11 rounds in 2008, here is how the New Zealand Open team has performed.

2008: won 5, drew 0, lost 6, 10 points, 18 game points, 97th, seeded 71.
2010: won 4, drew 2, lost 5, 11 points, 20.5 game points, 91st, seeded 92.
2012: won 4, drew 2, lost 5, 11 points, 20 game points, 97th, seeded 91.
2014: won 4, drew 2, lost 5, 11 points, 23 game points, 98th, seeded 76.

Quite a strange coincidence that the team has the same win-draw-loss record in the last three Olympiads, all resulting in a placing in the 90s. The number of game points in 2014 is the first time NZ has achieved over 50% (based on results since 2000). That is positive.

Scott Wastney
15-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I think all members of the NZ open or women's team entered the olympiad wishing to do their best, as do most, if not all ppl in their tournaments. It is also worth noting the open team consists of the top 5 ppl in the NZ Fide ranking (http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml?ina=1&country=NZL) and looking at the NZ Fide Rankings thread (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15253-NZ-FIDE-ratings), have been in the top 6 since March this year. According to the latest NZCF ratings list they are in the the top 7 NZ active players.

For Womens, there's only 5 players listed in the FIDE list of active women players. Top 3 are in the team (Marany Meyer, Helen Milligan + Layla Timergazi). According to the NZCF July ratings, they are the top 5 women too.

So let's try to be constructive in your criticism.

Well said. These were the best teams we could send, even though at the end the performance ratings aren't as they would have hoped. It seems that the competition is getting tougher in what are the less traditionally strong teams. And the 2100 rated players there seem to be stronger than the typical 2100. I wonder if NZ could have a greater collaboration between players when they are preparing for the Olympiad, as I think we tend to be largely independent. I look forward to catching up with the Wellington players and hearing about it all.

Scott

ChrisBurns
16-08-2014, 03:16 AM
The performance of the Open team was not far off from what was expected. Woman's team did alright but would think that they could have achieved more if the players had been more active in NZ chess for the last few years. Anyway they have got two more years to get ready for the next Olympiad in Baku, Azerbaijan which incidentally starts on August 1 2016.

Capablanca-Fan
16-08-2014, 08:26 AM
I fail to see how the critics of the team selection have any case. The Open team were clearly at the top of the FIDE ratings, apart from Scott above who was presumably unavailable or inactive. They are also at the top of the NZCF ratings (http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?12112-NZCF-Ratings&p=380906#post380906). So this means that they have achieved the best results, and thus deserved their selection. And as for an alleged need to select more young players, which ones exactly? Most of the top 50 on the NZCF list are in the same general age group as most of the team. Hans Gao seems to be the only one, and he has quite a few players to overtake.

Tony Dowden
16-08-2014, 09:28 AM
I agree with Scott, Jonathan and Chris. NZ is a very small fish in a very large pond. Even though the Open team had five 2300+ players, our performance was never going to be earth-shattering. Russell and Anthony are now 'well seasoned' - even older that I was at Bled 2002(!) - but they still play a tough game of chess and there aren't a dozen young 2300-2400 players breaking down the door to replace them (like in Australia). I still think Luke could have been put on a higher board but I have to admit he didn't out-perform(maybe school studies are 'encroaching' on his chess training time). Layla was the only player in our women's team who could be described as 'active, emerging and on an upward trajectory', so it was great to see her do well. She looks like she could be on one of the top boards next time.

Scott Wastney
16-08-2014, 12:41 PM
What a day for media cover of chess! Big picture and article on Layla in Dom Post. Further in paper is a picture and article on Judit Polgar retiring. And the Herald online can't help themselves with the quirky chess story of two players dying at the Olympiad.

Craig_Hall
16-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I think the main point is that if we continue to do what we have always done, we will continue to get results like we've always got. For those who are happy with those results, there's no need to change anything. For those who are not happy with the results, something else is worth trying because it's different, so it might lead to different results (no comment is made as to the likely quality of said results).

Australia has professional chess coaching in relative abundance, so it's not entirely surprising that they now have players who are competitive on a world stage. They also have large, professional-level tournaments for players to test themselves at, and, as far as I can tell, at least some money for player development.

Scott Wastney
16-08-2014, 01:57 PM
I think the main point is that if we continue to do what we have always done, we will continue to get results like we've always got. For those who are happy with those results, there's no need to change anything. For those who are not happy with the results, something else is worth trying because it's different, so it might lead to different results (no comment is made as to the likely quality of said results).

Australia has professional chess coaching in relative abundance, so it's not entirely surprising that they now have players who are competitive on a world stage. They also have large, professional-level tournaments for players to test themselves at, and, as far as I can tell, at least some money for player development.

I don't think NZCF have any resources for any player development. I have been around the NZ chess scene for a long time, as a player, a team member, a team selector, a recent NZ champion, and been coaching junior chess here is Wellington for 10 years. All my playing and coaching it is all private enterprise. I expect that is true everywhere else in NZ as well. All the players in NZ are self-developed. And the young ones are only getting coaching by parents paying for it. It is nice for the NZCF to talk about what they can do differently...but in reality their only role is picking the teams. And in my experience the only discussions after an Olympiad is about changing the team selection criteria. ie more young players. players needing to provide details of their personal development plan etc. But we had an open team of all 2300+ rated players, which is pretty good considering players had to pay their own way. The NZCF could make a rule that no one goes to the next Olympiad unless they have 2400+FIDE rating. Or that the NZCF will have funding for players who reach this target. That will make players work for it. But apart from some draconian measures such as this NZCF just has to pick the best there is. Personally I stopped working on my own chess mid-way through 2013. My feeling was there were no prospects that justified putting in any more work, and now I am only involved with coaching others. These players got the top NZ ratings, paid their own way, put their all into it. Then others go on about how it is not good enough and we (ie them) have to do better. Would it be fair to say the only player that had some assistance in their development was Puchen in the "project grandmaster" days. Just in case this sounds like I am being critical of NZCF - it is not at all meant to be. Just that the NZCF doesn't have any resources to develop players or assist funding a team. So I don't think there is any point discussing plans for which there are no resources.

Scott

Keong Ang
16-08-2014, 03:49 PM
..... These players got the top NZ ratings, paid their own way, put their all into it. Then others go on about how it is not good enough and we (ie them) have to do better. Would it be fair to say the only player that had some assistance in their development was Puchen in the "project grandmaster" days. Just in case this sounds like I am being critical of NZCF - it is not at all meant to be. Just that the NZCF doesn't have any resources to develop players or assist funding a team. So I don't think there is any point discussing plans for which there are no resources.

Scott
This is spot on. There is practically no funding or resources for player development, and at best negligible funding for participating.
Whatever resources NZCF has available for player development is so little that no meaningful player development occurs. All that is achieved is really the private effort of the players.

Without resources, NZCF cannot do anything other than make the best possible selection from the pool of applicants. It is actually quite surprising that there is even a pool of applicants to select from for the Olympiad when we consider that everyone has to pay their own way. Lesser World/Continental/Regional events tend to have sole/no applicants for the place. In such situations NZCF simply lets the sole applicant go or does not participate.

If there was anything to do differently, it is probably to ditch the idea of getting the best team performance at the Olympiad. It is pointless to even plan for a better performance when there are no resources to implement any improvement plans. Maybe NZCF should just select to maximise title opportunities for players. This would eventually lead to selection preference for players who have title/norm potential. Meaning any GM need not apply (cannot improve on that title) and those who have shown no signs of recent improvement (potential to better their title) eg. over the last 2 years would not be selected. This would automatically clear the field for those who can demonstrate through recent activity that they are still improving.

Obviously this may be too radical to implement since it would result in the removal of the chance to represent NZL to everyone who has reached their playing potential. It would require us to accept disastrous final team placings in the hope that a player would somehow get a title or title norm. Don't know if there is anyone courageous (or foolish) enough to push for such a change. Let alone have a chance of getting it implemented!!

Qbert
16-08-2014, 05:11 PM
This is spot on. There is practically no funding or resources for player development, and at best negligible funding for participating.
Whatever resources NZCF has available for player development is so little that no meaningful player development occurs. All that is achieved is really the private effort of the players.

Without resources, NZCF cannot do anything other than make the best possible selection from the pool of applicants. It is actually quite surprising that there is even a pool of applicants to select from for the Olympiad when we consider that everyone has to pay their own way. Lesser World/Continental/Regional events tend to have sole/no applicants for the place. In such situations NZCF simply lets the sole applicant go or does not participate.

If there was anything to do differently, it is probably to ditch the idea of getting the best team performance at the Olympiad. It is pointless to even plan for a better performance when there are no resources to implement any improvement plans. Maybe NZCF should just select to maximise title opportunities for players. This would eventually lead to selection preference for players who have title/norm potential. Meaning any GM need not apply (cannot improve on that title) and those who have shown no signs of recent improvement (potential to better their title) eg. over the last 2 years would not be selected. This would automatically clear the field for those who can demonstrate through recent activity that they are still improving.

Obviously this may be too radical to implement since it would result in the removal of the chance to represent NZL to everyone who has reached their playing potential. It would require us to accept disastrous final team placings in the hope that a player would somehow get a title or title norm. Don't know if there is anyone courageous (or foolish) enough to push for such a change. Let alone have a chance of getting it implemented!!

Agreed that the complaints of poor performance are unfounded. Well done to these players for putting the time and effort to be the best selected to play for their country. I also think Keong's radical proposal would be self-defeating as a title hopeful in a weaker team would never get to play the required opposition to get a norm.

Brian_Jones
16-08-2014, 05:14 PM
http://de.cisha.live-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/Tromso2014/Travel%20Subsidy%20per%20Federation.pdf

Also, OCC has provided travel and other grants over recent years.

Scott Wastney
16-08-2014, 05:36 PM
http://de.cisha.live-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/Tromso2014/Travel%20Subsidy%20per%20Federation.pdf

Also, OCC has provided travel and other grants over recent years.

Potential applicants were told there were likely to be no funds available. No mention of OCC grants.

LNah
16-08-2014, 06:53 PM
There's a few people here who know many others in the chess world as well as read widely articles related to chess. It may be worthwhile if for the next few weeks, people keep their eye out for articles about chess development or player development, especially for those players + countries that did well.
Talk + listen to your chess friends in other federations, find out what they've tried, what worked and what didn't.

While you gather the info, either contribute it to NZCF committee or even to all other players. Let's aim to start a discussion a month or two from now in this forum. Either I or someone can start a new thread in October perhaps on how to help players develop + improve. Maybe some things can be done with little monetary resources. Let's list them and see what can or can't be done.

We only have to look at the articles about the road to victory that was written about the all blacks when they won the rugby world cup and the german team when then won the soccer world cup to know such articles are written. Maybe not in main stream media but more perhaps in chess media, blogs and perhaps even in other forums like this.

The story I heard about german's soccer team was that they did have a very long term goal starting by identifying potential players from very young and so in time there's a big choice of good players to choose from when forming teams.

There's potential to borrow ideas from what other competitive teams have done. Let's not depend on just the few in the nzcf committee to try brainstorm this. The more ideas brought to the table, the more ideas there are to choose from.

Can everyone help?

Scott Wastney
16-08-2014, 07:00 PM
There's a few people here who know many others in the chess world as well as read widely articles related to chess. It may be worthwhile if for the next few weeks, people keep their eye out for articles about chess development or player development, especially for those players + countries that did well.
Talk + listen to your chess friends in other federations, find out what they've tried, what worked and what didn't.

While you gather the info, either contribute it to NZCF committee or even to all other players. Let's aim to start a discussion a month or two from now in this forum. Either I or someone can start a new thread in October perhaps on how to help players develop + improve. Maybe some things can be done with little monetary resources. Let's list them and see what can or can't be done.

We only have to look at the articles about the road to victory that was written about the all blacks when they won the rugby world cup and the german team when then won the soccer world cup to know such articles are written. Maybe not in main stream media but more perhaps in chess media, blogs and perhaps even in other forums like this.

The story I heard about german's soccer team was that they did have a very long term goal starting by identifying potential players from very young and so in time there's a big choice of good players to choose from when forming teams.

There's potential to borrow ideas from what other competitive teams have done. Let's not depend on just the few in the nzcf committee to try brainstorm this. The more ideas brought to the table, the more ideas there are to choose from.

Can everyone help?

The Chinese method is well known. A few decades ago players over 30 were forced to retire in order to train the next generation. This now seems to be the blueprint for success!

Capablanca-Fan
17-08-2014, 06:14 AM
The Chinese method is well known. A few decades ago players over 30 were forced to retire in order to train the next generation. This now seems to be the blueprint for success!
Good luck with any system in NZ involving forcing players to do anything!

Keong Ang
17-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Potential applicants were told there were likely to be no funds available. No mention of OCC grants.

Standard operating procedure is to tell potential applicants to expect no funding and budget accordingly. Historically there would usually be some funding (however negligible) and this would be paid out equitably to every member of the NZL delegation (not just players).
Equitably is the operative word here. Distribution is not "equal" due to situations like some players already being based in Europe (a cheap flight away) versus others who have a long way to travel.

It is important to note that funding is only available AFTER the event, and this necessitates all participants to fund themselves. Any funding that is paid out after the event should be viewed as a bonus and a pleasant surprise rather than expected. As far as NZCF is concerned, all information about funding like the one shown by Brian is "estimated" and counted as zero until we actually receive the money. We basically assume all promises are empty until payment is received!

Keong Ang
17-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Agreed that the complaints of poor performance are unfounded. Well done to these players for putting the time and effort to be the best selected to play for their country. I also think Keong's radical proposal would be self-defeating as a title hopeful in a weaker team would never get to play the required opposition to get a norm.
For FM/CM and WFM/WCM titles at the Olympiad, there is no need to play the "required opposition" since all that is required is the required score over sufficient number of games. Better title chances are obtained when playing bottom ranked teams.
GM/IM and WGM/WIM norms require sufficient performance and this is difficult against low rated opposition. However, I don't recall NZL players earning these norms from the last 3 Olympiads.

I'm not making this radical proposal or even pushing this (neither brave nor foolish enough!). More lamenting that without resources to improve the teams performance at Olympiads any proposals or plans are quite pointless. The goals from NZL participating in the Olympiad may need to change to place more emphasis on opportunities for the players development (eg. obtaining titles) rather than team performance.

Keong Ang
17-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Good luck with any system in NZ involving forcing players to do anything!

This is possible. Players are not being forced to do anything but rather forced to do nothing!!:lol: