PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Renaming of Great Global Warming Swindle thread

Tony Dowden
10-01-2014, 06:26 PM
It's time this thread was renamed: it might mislead some poor soul

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2014, 07:36 PM
It's time this thread was renamed: it might mislead some poor soul

Tend to agree actually. Trying to pick a suitably neutral heading. "Climate Change" is an option but tends to imply that it is definitely real, which some might dispute. "Climate Change debates"? Submissions welcome. Might end up leaving it as it is as the title has been so-long established even if it is misleading.

Desmond
10-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I think "Climate Change" is fine. Like the "Same Sex Marriage" thread, some may disagree whether it's real but that's what the discussion is about.

Hobbes
10-01-2014, 08:21 PM
The point isn't 'Climate Change', which of course is always happening and means nothing, but catastrophic (no) anthropogenic (no) climate change, which sadly for the true believers is failing the test of forecasts vs reality.

Desmond
10-01-2014, 08:26 PM
anthropogenic (no) Dream on.

Patrick Byrom
10-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Tend to agree actually. Trying to pick a suitably neutral heading. "Climate Change" is an option but tends to imply that it is definitely real, which some might dispute. "Climate Change debates"? Submissions welcome. Might end up leaving it as it is as the title has been so-long established even if it is misleading.
After seven years of the thread being named "The Great Global Warming Swindle", I'm tempted to suggest re-naming it "An Inconvenient Truth" for balance. Especially since nobody actually remembers the "The Great Global Warming Swindle" 'documentary', which seems to have faded into well-deserved obscurity.

A more serious suggestion: "Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist"?

Kevin Bonham
10-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Poll added

A poll has been added on this issue - result (including breakdown of voting by known view on issue) will be influential but not necessarily binding.

There is no "depends" option so only vote yes if you're happy enough with taking your chances on what we come up with that you want the present title gone.

Capablanca-Fan
11-01-2014, 03:12 PM
A more serious suggestion: "Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist"?
That is reasonable.

Rincewind
11-01-2014, 04:48 PM
I assume there will be a second poll for the name when this one closes but "Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist"? sounds good but with the ? inside the ""s.

Hobbes
11-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Yep, I am also fine with the "Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist?" suggestion.

But to change the subject, is AC's vote allowed to stand? Since he is a convicted felon serving a sentence, oughtn't he to be disenfranchised?

Kevin Bonham
11-01-2014, 06:56 PM
But to change the subject, is AC's vote allowed to stand? Since he is a convicted felon serving a sentence, oughtn't he to be disenfranchised?

His vote was cast before he was banned and is valid, though I'd ignore it if he had been permanently banned.

When banned members use hydras to vote in polls while banned, those votes are removed from the tally.

Patrick Byrom
11-01-2014, 07:11 PM
It's great to see everyone in agreement about something on this thread!

And Rincewind is correct: the question mark should be inside the quotes.

Kevin Bonham
18-01-2014, 10:21 PM
The title of the thread was changed.

Tony Dowden
23-01-2014, 11:00 AM
The title of the thread was changed.

Thanks Kevin. I didn't notice there was a poll, otherwise I would have voted in favour. I actually wasn't aware that the original title was a play on a documentary, so there you are.

Kevin Bonham
31-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Posts moved and thread locked

As this is a procedural thread, posts discussing the substantive issue have been moved to the main thread.

As the procedural issue is settled and to ensure discussion of the substantive issue isn't duplicated across threads, this thread is closed.