PDA

View Full Version : Martin Sims RIP (the Palmerston North one)

Capablanca-Fan
09-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Ross Jackson writes:

For those who know Martin Sims Iím sorry to advise that Martin finally succumbed to cancer on Thursday.

His funeral is 11am Tuesday 12th at Terracehaven Chapel 697 Main St Palmerston North.

Adamski
09-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Very sad news, Ross and Jono. I knew Martin well. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and good friends.

CivicChessMan
09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Here is a link to article about Martin and his passion for chess. http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/3372424/Keeping-boys-in-check

Adamski
10-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Thanks gor that CCM. Martin was certainly very good at correspondence chess and in earlier days played a lot of OTB at the OCC in Dunedin. We pkayed many times. RIP Martin.

LNah
10-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Notice in Manawatu Standard : http://deaths.manawatustandard.co.nz/obituaries/manawatu-standard-nz/obituary.aspx?n=ian-martin-sims&pid=167927329&fhid=17848

* Messages to Sims Family, C/- PO Box 5191, Palmerston North 4441 or may be left at www.robertjcotton.co.nz
* Donations in lieu of flowers to the Arohanui Hospice, PO Box 5349, Palmerston North 4441, would be appreciated or may be left in the Chapel foyer.
* A Celebration of Martin's life will be held in the Terracehaven Chapel, 697 Main Street, Palmerston North, on Tuesday, November 12, 2013 at 11am. Cremation to be private.

If you go to the death notice there's a link to an online guestbook if you wish to leave your messages there instead.

first25plus5
11-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Condolences from the Bay of Plenty. Martin was over here in the early 90's.

Tony Dowden
11-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Edited copy of one of my posts on Facebook:

I knew Ian Martin Sims for over 40 years.

As Form 3 & 4 schoolboys in Dunedin in the mid-1970s, Tony Love and I used to go around to his Russell St flat after school and - on every occasion - learn something new about chess and the exotic world of students flatting - with blitz, Russian chess magazines and shandies(!) being prominent in my memory. Martin was a major influence on my chess development. A career high school history and geography teacher, he had that clever knack of being gruff and very encouraging all at the same time. When most other adult players would shudder at the anti-positional moves I trotted out as a junior (I liked browsing chess books but not actually studying them), Martin would keep saying I had tremendous talent and would become a far better player than he could ever hope to be. Indeed, FM Tony Love and I both played in two Olympiads for NZ. CM Michael Freeman was also one of my same-age chess playing peers in Dunedin and he credits Martin with introducing him to correspondence chess. Michael eventually became one of NZ's very strongest correspondence players and is now a correspondence Senior International Master.

In the 1980s and 1990s I enjoyed Martin and Tina's hospitality on a number of occasions in Reefton, Pahiatua and Palmerston North. In fact I may have stayed up to a total of a month at various Chateaux Sims(!) I also lived in Manawatu for a while, and my most recent simuls were played against his famed chess teams from Palmerston North Boys High School (who did actually eventually win the Wellington district schoolpupils' teams competition - in 2001 or 2002 I think). In what was to be his last Chateau, Martin was especially proud to have established a chess room, separate from his study and totally devoted to Caissa. It is axiomatic that Martin ran school chess clubs - but his were different. They ran all lunchtime, every day - and, whenever I saw it, his classroom would be jam-packed full of players (I also taught in NZ high schools for 15 years and I never saw anything else vaguely like it). Martin imparted his love of chess to hundreds if not thousands of young people. I was fortunate to be one of them.

RIP Martin

Link to a 'Manawatu Standard' news item from 2010: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Fmanawatu-standard%2Fnews%2F3372424%2FKeeping-boys-in-check&h=FAQHCDOcV

Craig_Hall
11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
A good tribute, Tony - one can feel the respect you have for Martin. He's a real loss to chess, with a wonderful contribution to junior chess especially.

I was fortunate enough to go to Shirley BHS, where Chris Mangous opened his classroom daily at interval, lunch and after school for the school chess club, which he ran, and which thrived with 50+ members, and a full room all year round - a very enjoyable time, and something, as you say, that is not often replicated.

Tony Dowden
16-01-2014, 08:17 PM
A good tribute, Tony - one can feel the respect you have for Martin. He's a real loss to chess, with a wonderful contribution to junior chess especially ...
Thanks Craig