PDA

View Full Version : PC cooling (N2)

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Kicking this forum off...

I have heard a bit about CPU cooling, but not all that much. I do know that the "ultimate" in cooling devices is an N2 bath though (liquid nitrogen). At what point are big fans not enough, and you need to get the N2?

Please, nobody answer with "if you don't know you don't need it" because I'm on the verge of building what (I hope) will be one beautiful machine. I have about $3000 to work with, and I'm putting all that into the box. Of course, I want a high-performance system, which is why I want to know if I will need Nitrogen.

Also, how often does it need replacing, and where do you get it from? BOC gasses? Is it worth the cost (which I know isn't all that much, but it's cumulative). I'm sure some other people are wondering about this, or will do so very soon.

skip to my lou
14-10-2003, 08:50 PM
It really depends what applications you are willing to run on it, and how long... e.g server, forever.

So what are your plans for this new computer?

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure yet, waiting to see how much I can squeeze out of my money at wholesale prices. I'm building it for my parents (and by extension game-obsessed siblings) to replace the current computer, which is a clunker. They've asked me to build a network of three (not much, I know) with the potential to expand it, but they basically want this computer to last as long as possible (which means much outlay now).

There's more, but I'm too tired to remember it.

skip to my lou
14-10-2003, 11:53 PM
ok, if you aren't doing 3D work, intense graphics, or heavy chess analysis, you should be ok with a normal fan with Intel chipsets. If you are going for AMD, where temperatures can get quite hot on a hot day, or with heavy usage, I would recommend either new CPU fan, extra fans or water cooling. It all depends on the use.

Gandalf
15-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Ok, so we've agreed that I don't need N2 cooling. But just so I know, what about the other questions? That is, how frequently do you need to change it, how much does the nitrogen cost, where do you get it, how exactly do you set it up, and how does it dissipate?

skip to my lou
15-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Im not entirely sure, but I can imagine, it would be expensive.

Gandalf
12-11-2003, 12:03 PM
Well, I know N2 itself is very cheap (as far as chemicals go) but I guess this would not be the case if you had to top up every few days. You'd need a convenient vat handy to keep your machine running.