PDA

View Full Version : chess programs for kids

Erika
06-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,
I am looking for a chess program for my nine year old son, who would like to learn the game. My husband and I both love to play, but explaining rules to a kid is sometimes too difficult. A friend of mine suggested this program called Europe Chess Promotion where kids learn how to play and can interact with other children online in a safe room.
Any other interesting sites you know?

Thanks a lot,
Erika

Vlad
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
I would suggest to buy Fritz and Chesster. See for example

http://chessbase-shop.com/en/products/fritz_and_chesster

My son started with this program when he was 4 year old.

Max Illingworth
06-06-2013, 09:41 PM
A kids chess program like 'Fritz and Chesster' covers all the rules and some basics after that, and if I recall correctly 'Chessmaster' also has tutorials on how to play (and is designed for kids).

Edit: I've also heard good things about 'Dinosaur Chess' mentioned by Jesper below.

Jesper Norgaard
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I have been using Dinosaur Chess with success with my kids (since 4 years old) - it is a very interactive and fun way to learn chess, taught by a Dinosaur that is the teacher. It has tutorials for all the basic rules, that are fun to try, and catchy music to some of the exercises. It is great as introduction to chess while Fritz and Chesster may be better for further study. The emphasize is to learn while having fun. I believe it was developed in the UK.

claranow
23-05-2017, 11:09 PM
I know there was an app on Android, It thinks simply Chess For Kids, but I myself learned from an old Czech book I will try to look it up if I still can. But I am sure there are English equivalents, it was beautifully illustrated and I was returning to it for many years.

claranow
25-05-2017, 01:56 AM
I know there was an app on Android, It thinks simply Chess For Kids, but I myself learned from an old Czech book I will try to look it up if I still can. But I am sure there are English equivalents, it was beautifully illustrated and I was returning to it for many years.

Adding a book. It was written by Todd Bardwick, so there should be an English original, and it was an interesting chess textbook or kids I run by today :) If the book can hold the attention of the kid, that is, often that is problem:)