PDA

View Full Version : 2UE Sydney 10:30-10:45 this Saturday

Kerry Stead
29-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Just a heads up to everyone in Sydney that I'll be on 2UE tomorrow morning during the 'Weekend Sports today' show talking about chess. Apparently the chat is going to run for about 3 minutes, and is focused on how people can get involved in chess, etc.
I think I should do a bit of research on numbers, etc tonight, but if people want to save me the hassle and quote participation numbers for me, that would be a great help.
Personally its interesting that chess makes a SPORTS show ... wonder how the rugby league loving viewers (its hosted by Andrew Voss & John Gibbs) will react to such a topic?! Maybe if I throw in that I started my adult chess at Canterbury Leagues club they'll pay a bit more attention! :hmm:

1min_grandmaster
29-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Kerry,

I have no stats to give, but I think this is a great opportunity to get more people involved in the chess scene. So perhaps the main goal is to encourage participation by getting people to overcome the stigmas associated with chess. Just some things that I can think of would be:

* Show that the game is for anyone, of different racial, educational and occupational backgrounds.
* That you dont have to be good to play and enjoy. You dont even need to know the rules.
* There are many social players with little ability who enjoy the game immensely.
* etc.

It's only 3 minutes, you've got to make the most of it! Good luck!

1min_grandmaster
29-10-2004, 02:45 PM
One more thing I think would be a good idea: mention the presence of 'normal' adults (i.e. non-elderly), women and juniors. A lot of people think that chess is an old man's game. But don't mention how strong the juniors are, because this will turn adults off. Grown ups don't like losing to kids.

Paul S
29-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Just a heads up to everyone in Sydney that I'll be on 2UE tomorrow morning during the 'Weekend Sports today' show talking about chess. Apparently the chat is going to run for about 3 minutes, and is focused on how people can get involved in chess, etc.
I think I should do a bit of research on numbers, etc tonight, but if people want to save me the hassle and quote participation numbers for me, that would be a great help.
Personally its interesting that chess makes a SPORTS show ... wonder how the rugby league loving viewers (its hosted by Andrew Voss & John Gibbs) will react to such a topic?! Maybe if I throw in that I started my adult chess at Canterbury Leagues club they'll pay a bit more attention! :hmm:

Hi Kerry

Hope it goes well for you.

I think that you should mention the link between Leagues Clubs and chess clubs in NSW (and that you started your "chess career" at Canterbury Leagues), seeing as Voss and Gibbs are League commentators and most of their audience would be League followers (BTW, I remember seeing John Gibbs when he was playing for Manly - he had an unusual running style with his head at a 45 degree angle - it was a wonder he didn't get his head knocked off - anyway I digress/reminisce too much). Also I suggest touching on the present generous funding arrangements that chess clubs get from Leagues clubs, and possible effects of NSW State Government's "Poker Machine Tax" and how it could affect NSW chess clubs. However, at the same time, you should not dwell too much on these points - after all, 3 minutes is not long (you need to pack in as much relevant material as possible in that time).

Best wishes for the interview!

Garvinator
29-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Also I suggest touching on the present generous funding arrangements that chess clubs get from Leagues clubs, and possible effects of NSW State Government's "Poker Machine Tax" and how it could affect NSW chess clubs. However, at the same time, you should not dwell too much on these points - after all, 3 minutes is not long (you need to pack in as much relevant material as possible in that time).

also if you did mention these points too much, you would start to sound like you are on a bandwagon and sounding like a :crazy: politician.

Bill Gletsos
29-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Hi Kerry

Hope it goes well for you.

I think that you should mention the link between Leagues Clubs and chess clubs in NSW (and that you started your "chess career" at Canterbury Leagues), seeing as Voss and Gibbs are League commentators and most of their audience would be League followers (BTW, I remember seeing John Gibbs when he was playing for Manly - he had an unusual running style with his head at a 45 degree angle - it was a wonder he didn't get his head knocked off - anyway I digress/reminisce too much). Also I suggest touching on the present generous funding arrangements that chess clubs get from Leagues clubs, and possible effects of NSW State Government's "Poker Machine Tax" and how it could affect NSW chess clubs. However, at the same time, you should not dwell too much on these points - after all, 3 minutes is not long (you need to pack in as much relevant material as possible in that time).

I'm not sure thats a good idea as you start to as gg says sound like a politician, nor is it what they want.

You need to point that there is a very large group of kids playing via the schools events and that most kids can start at their schools and that adults can generally start via chess clubs in Sydney at their local leagues clubs.

Garvinator
29-10-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure thats a good idea as you start to as gg says sound like a politician, nor is it what they want.

You need to point that there is a very large group of kids playing via the schools events and that most kids can start at their schools and that adults can generally start via chess clubs in Sydney at their local leagues clubs.
i would add that you should probably mention some of the clubs in sydney and where they are, or maybe a further contact number and person at the end of your time, sneak in a bit about the upcoming mt buller events if you wish ;)

Paul S
30-10-2004, 12:15 AM

:hmm: I think you are right in that Kerry should not talk about the poker machine tax issue. With hindsight I should not have included this aspect, :doh: as it is not really relevant (and Kerry only has 3 minutes)!

However, I still think that Kerry should briefly mention the link between Leagues clubs and chess clubs in NSW (viz that most chess clubs are sub-clubs of Leagues clubs and that they get generous subsidies from the parent Leagues club). Remember that Voss and Gibbs are League commentators and most of their listeners are League fans, so I think a brief mention of this would be helpful. A lot of their listeners would be members of a Leagues club, so if Kerry makes a brief mention as I suggest then I reckon that some of these listeners may well end up joing their local Leagues Club chess club!

Bill Gletsos
30-10-2004, 12:19 AM
:hmm: I think you are right in that Kerry should not talk about the poker machine tax issue. With hindsight I should not have included this aspect, :doh: as it is not reallty relevant (and Kerry only has 3 minutes)!

However, I still think that Kerry should briefly mention the link between Leagues clubs and chess clubs in NSW (viz that most chess clubs are sub-clubs of Leagues clubs and that they get generous subsidies from the parent Leagues club). Remember that Voss and Gibbs are League commentators and most of their listeners are League fans, so I think a brief mention of this would be helpful. A lot of their listeners would be members of a Leagues club, so if Kerry makes a brief mention as I suggest then I reckon that some of these listeners may well end up joing their local Leagues Club chess club!
You will notice my last sentence suggested he mention the chess club/league club link.

He should of course also mention that chess has an olympiad held every two years and that it is on at the moment in Spain with 129 mens teams and 87 womens teams.

Rincewind
30-10-2004, 01:39 AM
You will notice my last sentence suggested he mention the chess club/league club link.

He should of course also mention that chess has an olympiad held every two years and that it is on at the moment in Spain with 129 mens teams and 87 womens teams.

Actually, it's 129 Open teams. ;)

Bill Gletsos
30-10-2004, 02:41 AM
Actually, it's 129 Open teams. ;)
Did any women actually play in any of the Open teams this olympiad?

Ian_Rogers
30-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Lots of women were playing in the Open Olympiad.
Austria had a woman on board one as did Bermuda.

By the way, Kerry. I think you should mention some numbers of kids participating in Sydney. If you take the number of kids in the interschool competitions (10,000+) and extrapolate to the number in school chess clubs -at least five times that number - you get a number comparable to the number of kids participating in AFL in Sydney.

Ian

Kerry Stead
30-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Just an update ... got a call earlier from the producer of the show. Looks like they'll be ringing back soon, and the segment will air around 11am.
Thanks for the posts guys

skip to my lou
30-10-2004, 10:57 AM
WD Kerry.

Kerry Stead
30-10-2004, 11:05 AM
:doh:
That could have been so much better :uhoh: ... and the bumbling about the Olympiad from Andy ... I guess that's what 5 minutes of internet research does!
I really should have mentioned the other 2 in the team ... and he mentioned Adams and Kasimdzhanov , which really should have been an excuse to mention Ian & Darryl's results against them, as well as both Darryl & Gary's presence in the team! Let alone the fact that there is a women's team ...
Oh well ...

antichrist
30-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Don't mention the BB in case hostilities break out between BG and MS again.

I'm Okay, You're Okay...

Bill Gletsos
30-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Don't mention the BB in case hostilities break out between BG and MS again.

I'm Okay, You're Okay...
I know I'm ok.
I'm really not sure about you. :lol:

Paul S
30-10-2004, 07:02 PM
That could have been so much better :uhoh: ... and the bumbling about the Olympiad from Andy ... I guess that's what 5 minutes of internet research does!
I really should have mentioned the other 2 in the team ... and he mentioned Adams and Kasimdzhanov , which really should have been an excuse to mention Ian & Darryl's results against them, as well as both Darryl & Gary's presence in the team! Let alone the fact that there is a women's team ...
Oh well ...

Hi Kerry. Sorry to hear that it did not go as well as you would have liked. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the interview (I had another commitment at the time you were on air this morning). I've rung up radio stations a few times in the past and being on air is not as easy as it seems!

Now that you have got a bit of practice at this sort of thing, why not try and get on 101.7 ws-fm (formerly 2WS) next Saturday morning? That is, their "Whistles and Hooters" (Sports) program (where they feature sports interviews as well as playing their usual "classic hits" formula). After all, 101.7 ws-fm listeners are more intelligent than 2UE listeners (I listen mainly to 101.7 ws-fm, so their listeners must be intelligent :lol: :P ) and chess is a game of intelligence! So, by doing such a segment on 101.7 ws-fm you should attract lots of new chess players! :)

jenni
30-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Oh well ...

hi Kerry

I'm sure it went well. I've done a couple in Canberra and I always come out feeling it was a total stuff up, but the feedback I've had has always been positive. I think you have to operate on the principle that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Alan Shore
31-10-2004, 01:06 AM
Oh well ...

No worries Kerry, it was a stellar effort to get some radio exposure.. best of luck on your future chess pursuits ;)

Bill Gletsos
31-10-2004, 01:04 PM
The initiative for the interview came from 2UE.
They spoke to me about it on Thursday morning.