PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Perfect for iPod or Tablet

WhiteElephant
31-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm thinking of investing in an iPod or tablet and I'd like to be able to use it to run swiss tournaments.

Does anyone know whether SP can be used on an iPod or tablet (is there an app you can download?) or if not SP, is there another similar swiss pairing program I can use?

Thanks.

Denis_Jessop
31-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking of investing in an iPod or tablet and I'd like to be able to use it to run swiss tournaments.

Does anyone know whether SP can be used on an iPod or tablet (is there an app you can download?) or if not SP, is there another similar swiss pairing program I can use?

Thanks.

As far as I know SP runs only on Windows and the author has stopped developing it so the answer is almost certainly "No". I don't think any of the other FIDE-approved programs runs on an iPod, iPad or other tablet. The wretched things don't even run on a Mac unless you use an emulator or Boot Camp which require Windows anyway.

DJ

Rincewind
31-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd be looking at something like one of these...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020257/the-5-best-windows-8-tablets-and-laptops-you-can-buy-today.html

WhiteElephant
31-12-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the tips....checked out an iPad in store today and the thing isn't much more than a smartphone with a large screen (except that it can't make calls). Might end up getting a laptop...you can get a pretty decent one for less than the cost of the latest iPad.....

Craig_Hall
02-01-2013, 06:34 PM
You can purchase Windows tablets and laptops which should be able to run SP or other pairing software. The new Windows 8 laptops have models with detachable keyboards which can be used like tablets when desired, which can be handy. (as in Rincewind's link)

There's talk of Android moving closer to its Linux roots, which may allow Android tablets to run Vega, but that may just be a pipe dream.

With Skype, any tablet can be used to make calls (subject to an internet connection of some sort). Arguably it would probably be more accurate to say that the iPad and iPhone are descendants of the iPod Touch, but I know that feeling! Bear in mind that you can get bluetooth keyboards for tablets which make them a bit more productive, but it really depends on how important portability is.

jammo
02-01-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks.

Tornelo runs fine on an iPad. I run all my school tournaments on it.

BrendanNorman
10-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Tornelo runs fine on an iPad. I run all my school tournaments on it.

Agreed, Tornelo is very convenient and good for school tournaments ;)